Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building callouses and chasing goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

speed session today,didnt feel like i got much out of the sprints today,my foot is sore and was affecting my start
    Microhurdle drills
    single leg x4
    double leg x4

Then 3x30m sprints out of blocks
    I'm still stepping out of the blocks,i need to drive more out of them

Weightlifting session today, plenty of big PR's and easy enough ones too, Weight is still around the same weighing at 64.5kg this time.
    Drop snatches
    2x3 @40kg
    3x3 @37.5kg
    These just werent going right for me at all, a total nightmare,kept missing them even though i knew i can do them,just need to keep working on punching through and locking out the bar overhead
    Snatches
    1x2 @40kg
    1x2 @42.5kg
    1x2 @45kg
    1x1 @47.5kg
    1x1 @50kg PR ,missed it on the first attempt,got it overhead and locked but dropped behind on the way up,forgot to use chalk ,made it easy the second time
    1x1 52.5kgPR:cool::cool: ,very easy 5kg Pr,left it at that even though i felt i had more in the tank
    Power clean and Power jerk
    1x2 @40kg
    1x1 @50kg
    1x1 @55kg
    1x1 @57.5kg PR
    1x1 @62.5kgPR,missed it on the first attempt
    The power clean was hard ,missed the first 62 attempt during the clean but the power jerk was easy and nice and tidy
    Front squat
    4x3 @80kg
    1x2 @80kg failed the 3 rep of the last set
    Also i ordered a pair of power perfect 2 shoes from d8 yesterday ,cant wait:p

Track speed session today,there was ridiculously little volume, but whatever,its because the juveniles all irelands are this weekend.
    4x60m flat out
    2 slow laps and then stretching
    Im really really tight today,my joints are so stiff. Didnt go lectures today and went off to hang out in the sun:rolleyes:
    mmmm ice cream and an ice cold mooju,theres nothing better!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

My shoes arrived!!! theyre very snug but not uncomfortable and when the leather stretches a bit theyll be a great fit, gonna stuff the toebox with newspaper to stretch it a bit,and hopefully convince mom to let me wear them to oly lifting on monday instead of having to wait till my birthday

So went gym today, meant to do plenty of deadlifts and squats and get a squat video, just had a terrible session,everything felt so heavy and crappy and i just had to call it quits eventually.

Deadlift
    5x2 @80kg
    back squat
    60kg,70kg,80kg for 5 reps
    and 85kg for 2 reps,i had to drop it after 2 i just wasnt up for it today
    Heres the video though of my set at 80kg,its doesnt look great but it better than nothing, at least i can see what they looked like

• Advertisement

Just messing around with the barbell at home breaking in the new shoes, the toe box has been stuffed with paper for the last 2 days and theyare now the perfect fit.
    Worked on clean and jerks,split and power version from 15kg - 50kg
    power snatches from 15kg-25kg
    drop snatches,overhead squats and military press at the same weights as the snatches
    Then 5x5 snatch pulls @50kg
    then a load of drill work with the empty bar(5kg),making sure the bar stays closer to me,breaking the elbows right, and getting under

Short cycle today ,just 12.5km at 23.5kmph.
    STrong enough gusts out there affecting the confidence on the bike
    Will go further next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Short cycle today ,just 12.5km at 23.5kmph.
    STrong enough gusts out there affecting the confidence on the bike
    Will go further next time

Took the bike out myself this weekend for the first time in nearly 3 months - just 10km to remind myself how to cycle :) Takes a bit of getting used to again alright!

Took the bike out myself this weekend for the first time in nearly 3 months - just 10km to remind myself how to cycle :) Takes a bit of getting used to again alright!

Definitely does, i was flying around a few months ago,im never going to do those distances again though,it was way too hard on the body

First proper weightlifting session in the new oly lifting shoes and what a session it was, I was feeling really good, and i got a snatch double video and a clean and jerk double video,loads of technique to work on but its just to document my current progress.
    Drop snatches
    5x3 @40kg
    Last week i just couldnt do this at 40kg but this week was much better,im figuring out the technique for them a little better each week
    Snatches
    6x2 @45kg:cool:
    Felt really good,missed a few but got all the reps done
    Clean and jerk
    6x2 @50kg
    Probably should have done it at 55kg but want to put work into my jerk,couldnt split jerk that at all but can power jerk much more easy????? :confused:
    Snatch Pulls
    5x3 @55kg
    Felt grand and it wasnt too eventful really

• Advertisement

Snatch double 45kg at 65kg bodyweight

Missed the first attempt,went straight up again to get the double,looked okay but my back seems at too low an angle
    Clean and jerk double 50kg at 65 bodyweight

Another technique session, i like doing these,just obscenely light weight ,silence in my room and plenty of time to focus and the weightlessness means you dont get tired meaning you can just churn out rep after rep after rep.
    So snatches from below knees up to pulls getting end of pull position correct working on getting used to what it should feel like, then try to keep the bar as close to me as possible and pushing it back behind me at the very end.
    Saw a drill on the internet for helping with bar path,its like doing a muscle snatch so tried that out.
    Some weightless drop snatches aswell just trying to get the positions right
    Then 4x5 overhead squats and power jerks @30kg
    Drawbacks to this are the bar is really really crappy,and its too short so while i can add some weight for cleans and get away with it the same doesnt work for snatches,15kg is the most i can really use for snatches on this bar. also all stuff has to be from the hang as the bar is ridiculously low down otherwise

Used up my last free trial session in the planet today and had a pretty awesome session,hadnt realised how much not having chalk can affect your lifts.
    Anyway
    I'm starting to figure out a barbell warmup for oly lifting,its taken a while but im finally putting together a solid routine i use which really gets me set up for a session.
    Snatch
    Sets of singles
    3x30kg
    2x40kg
    4x45kg
    1x47.5kg
    At the last one i really started to need the chalk also being in a different environment was messing up my focus
    Clean and jerk
    Sets of doubles
    4x40kg
    2x50kg
    Cleans
    sets of doubles
    55kg
    60kg
    65kg
    67.5kg PR
    Recorded the 65kg set to check technique,i wont post it here but im pretty happy with how my cleans look
    Back squats
    5 rep sets
    50kg
    60kg
    70kg
    80kg
    82.5kg
    85kg PR(80kg was previous best)
    Then a few deload sets
    2x3 pause squats 50kg
    2x3 pause squats empty bar(20kg)
    85kg feels very heavy

2x3 200m sprints, supposed to be relaxed but i got carried away
    My posture is getting good, and tonight something just clicked ,i was so relaxed and in control and i was really getting into a good stride,wasnt tired at all and was flying it,felt like my feet were just bouncing off the track exactly the right way. It was just such an enjoyable session, really felt yesterdays squats in the last one though,legs seized up a bit

2 sets of :
    300m,200m,100m sprint
    went out way too fast on the first 300m and nearly died, entire first set was good though.
    had a good 300m on the second set,went easy on the second 200m, and busted a gut on the 100. Overall im getting much happier with my running

Right so ,wanted to stretch and warmup with an empty 5kg bar at home before going to training this evening since im on easter holidays anyway.
    At the same time ,im now showing my brother how to do a snatch with that same bar, he's actually pretty good at it,ive had him doing loads of accessory stuff to get into the positions over the last few weeks and with mobility work its starting to show. Its helping the running too,
    He cut his 60m time from 8.35 to 8.22 in only 3 or so weeks with it in the under 14's all ireland

First time hook gripping tonight..man it hurts....:(
    Thinking im doing the connacht open at the end of may so a hard session tonight

Drop snatch
    5x3 40kg
    Snatch
    5 sets of double, worked up to 50kg, nailed one double sets, made the first rep of every other set, caught the bar correctly but kept dropping forward on the seconds reps,still dont mind too much as it'll make me that bit stronger
    Clean and jerk
    2x2 57.5kg very easy so moved up to 60kg
    1x2 at 60kg,
    missed second rep of last 2 sets
    Trying to get under the bar quicker though in the cleans,im delaying a bit
    Snatch pulls
    5x3 @55kg

So here's a 60kg Clean and Jerk, the bar path is highlighted from some app they used, I unfortunately don't have a snatch video.
    It felt hard as i was tired but the bar path seemed good

Drill session tonight.
    Doing something called stick drills for speed and stride lenght, trying to bring our knees up properly.
    So 2x5 stick drills, they were about 40m long I think

Paid into the warehouse today for the craic,i love that place
    warmup was done with some complexes
    Snatch pulls/snatch above knee
    4 doubles @ 30kg then 40kg
    Overhead squats/snatch below knee
    3 doubles @30kg,40kg
    Drop snatch
    3 doubles @30kg
    Snatch
    3 doubles @45kg
    3 failed doubles @47.5kg ,got the first rep each time
    Bombed out completely on the clean and jerks,just couldnt do them
    Deadlift
    Doubles @70kg,80kg,90kg,100kg
    Then a single at 110kg
    And failed 120kg and 115kg
    Had to basically tape up my entire hand to make it through the session

• Advertisement

Right well,turned 19 today! doesnt seem half as exciting as 18.
    havent decided if i'll have a birthday training session or another rest day yet,stay tuned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Thinking im doing the connacht open at the end of may so a hard session tonight

I'll see you at it so!!....and its on at the start of May not the end:D

gymfreak wrote: »
    I'll see you at it so!!....and its on at the start of May not the end:D

Ya i figured that out,its right in the middle of my summer exams. But they're spread out so much i think i can still go

4x 1200m on grass
    Really surprised myself, they were easy,
    If i had to guess the pace then the first 2 were about 3min40 or 3 min50 per km and the second 2 were about 3min10 or 3min15 per km.
    Gym tonight so i didnt push it that hard

Awesome weightlifting session tonight.Slow start though ,really felt the running early in my legs
    Drop snatches
    5x3 @40kg,will try 42.5 next week
    Snatch
    1 rep sets.
    45kg
    47.5kg
    50kg
    52.5kg
    55kgPR
    Got a lovely PR but i could have gotten 57.5 except i kept wimping out of it as i was supposed to go under
    Clean and Jerk
    1 rep sets
    55kg
    57.5kg
    60kg
    62.5kg
    65kg FAil
    60kg
    62.5kg
    65kgPR
    missed 65kg twice the first time and then built up again and nailed it, power jerks are getting hard at that weight so i do need to learn to split jerk
    Did a load of jerks then with a pvc afterwards with the coach to try and get that working
    Snatch Pulls
    5x3 @60kg

3x1200m
    Wanted to do 4 like yesterday but it just wasnt happening, i got a bad stitch and they werent as fast :(:( so i called it quits, might try again tomorrow

2x6 150m sprints
    so thats 12 in all,wasnt too hard, session was supposed to be 18 150's biut coach cut it short because we ran out of time. IM kinda pissed we didnt get to do them all.
    Felt good though and was running really well

Went into the warehouse again because i love the place. Got chatting to a lad who did oly for a while in the gym i train in, he told me where to get the proper oly bars in the gym so i had to ask at the counter didnt realise they kept them there.
    Anyway the theme of todays session was jerks ,jerks and even more jerks. I dediced after last mondays session i had to learn to split jerk so i got a load of technique work from the coach on monday night and basically spent ages today drilling it until I had a pretty solid looking jerk
    Snatch/hang snatch complex
    4 doubles @45kg ,i keep accidentally power snatching it even though i have the mobility....
    Rack jerks
    Double rep sets
    @20kg,30kg,35kg,40kg,45kg,50kg
    probably did between 4 and 5 sets at the lighter weights and maybe 2 sets from 40kg up ,did a lot of reps anyway
    Squats
    2x3 with pause @40kg,50kg,60kg,70kg
    2x3 no pause @75kg,80kg
    80kg felt so light:cool: ,didnt push it too hard as i was just testing to see if my knee had healed up enough to squat and its seems to be healed.
    Clean and jerks
    Meant to just mess around with these to fill up time after the squats ,i finished too early but they just kept going up so easy with the split so i kept increasing the weight.
    Singles @30kg
    @40kg
    @50kg
    @55kg
    @60kg
    @62.5kg
    They were all easy but the 62.5kg was shaky ,probably from the fatigue after the squats though,im feeling optimistic though from monday of getting a PR if we have singles on the program again. As 65kg is my power jerk PR and this time i'll be using a split

Sprint session tonight,i was running really badly, just wasnt on form at all.
    3x180m
    3x220m

• Advertisement

Last nights session did more harm than good, i feel like crap today.
    Ive also been banned from training today grrr...apparently ive been pushing myself too hard and not studying enough...which is probably fair enough and im actually in bits today,all the jerks on thursday has my neck and shoulders wrecked

Advertisement