Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building callouses and chasing goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

missed a lot of lifts today and didnt reach the weights I was supposed to, my shoulders tiring way too quickly was a big part of that

Power snatch fak,Power snatch fbk,Overhead squat
    43x2
    47x2
    50x2
    53x1
    57x1(power snatch PR)
    60x miss ,miss,miss!! :P

Power clean ,Power jerk
    56 2x3
    60 x3
    63 3x3
    67 x2 (PR)
    72 x miss ,
    The 72kg power jerk was turning into a squat jerk and I just couldnt bring the bar to a stop

Snatch balance
    1rm :65kg
    I tried 70 but I just couldnt slow the descent enough I had the bar secure overhead though so I just need the legs here to get stronger
    2x3 52, was meant to be 4 sets but I could only do 2 becasue my shoulders were burned out

Clean pulls
    5x5 88kg, nothing to say about these ,theyre heavy but thats all

First day of athletics was today, the winter training has finally begun

4x4 80m fast running on grass. nearly killed me ,im very unfit right now

then core circuit

pushups and planks and inchworms first
    followed by air squats,lunges and straight legged deadlift with a medicine ball
    those were done for quite a lot of reps

So last night was a hard session. Running last week was obviously affecting my legs and my head kept spinning. Im having some trouble with my chest again but after a few weeks that should all clear up

Drop snatch
    4x5 35kg

Snatch fak,snatch fbk
    43 x2
    (47 x2)x2
    50 x2
    53 x1
    57 xmiss

Clean fak ,power jerk
    47 2,2
    50 2,2
    53 1,2
    57 1,1
    60 1,1 x3
    63 1,1

Back squats
    90 x5
    95x5
    100 4x3

Didnt have a lift to running last night so I didnt get to train. Had weightlifting this morning.
    Woke up with a bit of a headcold and so tight i could barely manage a quarter squat so It took me like an hour to loosen out to where I could comfortably go to full depth.
    Did a pile of 60m strideouts with stretching between every 4 or 5

Then it turned into a max out session with loads of Pb's somehow...

Snatch
    43 2x3
    47 3
    50 2x3
    53 2
    57 2x1
    60 x1
    63x1(PR)

Clean and jerk
    worked up to 83kg (3kg Pr)
    these felt easy on the clean, the jerk was tough but then I decided to keep going to find out my max clean
    Clean
    clean max 90kg

Back Squat
    90 x5
    93 x5
    102 x4
    (102x3)x2

was meant to do press in split but didnt manage it in time

Heres the video for the 87kg clean
    https://www.facebook.com/390178284416724/videos/720142954753587/

So this was meant to be a lower intensity week but it really didnt feel like it. It was a pretty terrible session overall. My injured hip flared up right from the first warmup stretch and my back was really tired before I started.

Snatch
    3x3 43
    3 47
    2 50
    2x1 55
    1 60
    These were actually really good but my hip stopped me from getting much depth

Power clean/Power jerk
    3x3 x50
    3 x55
    2 x60
    2x1 x65
    1 x70 PR
    1 xmissed jerk 75(pr clean pr)
    the 50kg ones sucked so bad but the 70 was so so easy,it just flew up

Front squat
    3x3 x70
    3 x75
    3 x80
    2 x90
    3x2 x95
    There felt pathetically weak, couldnt get any proper depth because of my hip and it was just so painful, back was pretty sore after them today aswell

• Advertisement

Last night
    100m sprints x16 with 80m jog in between

Today
    Snatch
    3x3 43
    3 47
    2 50
    2x1 55
    1 60
    1x 62
    missed 65 again, I must be doing something wrong here because 62 was so so easy

Power clean/Power jerk
    3x3 55
    3 60
    2 65
    2x1 70
    1 x75 miss

Snatch pulls
    3x3 70
    Had to pull without straps today because nobody had any so my thumbs are absolutely ripped apart

12 x100m sprints
    followed by short core session.

the sprints were supposed to be around 80% pace but everyone got carried away,things got competitive and before we knew it everyone was going flat out

yesterday was the first day I could walk without pain in my knee after a horrible cracking sound during sundays training. so I went training afterall.

Last night was max out night!!:D:D

Snatch
    New max: 66.5kg (3.5kg PR)
    Ive finally gotten past 63 where ive been stuck for ages. kinda figuring out and working on what was holdng me back and its working. I kinda ran out of platform here so I did have to bail it funny but thats because I stood it up fly with my toes over the edge of the platform(theres a 10cm drop from platform to floor) tried to walk it back so as I could leave it down and dropped it funny then

Power clean/Power jerk
    New max: 77kg (7kg PR)
    Doing really well here, considering last weeks 70kg power jerk was a 5kg Pr and ive added another 7kg to that this week

Front squat
    New max: 105kg (5kg pr)
    probably could have gotten 107 but decided to go for 110 instead ,decided even if I didnt get it just attempting it would make it easier next time

I dont have a clue what my bodyweight is though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nice work!

Nice work!

Thanks very much. im going to see if I can get some videos for next time though to stick them up here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're interested and don't know about it already, you should follow hookgrip on Instagram. They always have big snatches and clean videos in real time followed by slow-mo. Pretty cool to watch them in slow mo and notice those little technical things that people like me wouldn't pick up on in real time

If you're interested and don't know about it already, you should follow hookgrip on Instagram. They always have big snatches and clean videos in real time followed by slow-mo. Pretty cool to watch them in slow mo and notice those little technical things that people like me wouldn't pick up on in real time

I already follow them and allthingsgym aswell, theres some really amazing lifts on their channels,

Session today was another max out session, but it didnt go all that well..

Snatch
    65kg ,actually pretty happy with this,but missed 67 twice

Clean and jerk
    only got to 75kg today, which is less than I power jerked on wednesday.....

Snatch pulls
    70kg 3x3

was out all thursday night so still wrecked from that, and joined in on the crossfit session in the morning before doing my weightlifting which was probably a bad idea anyway,
    that session was :

5 rounds of :
    400m and 15 overhead squats @40kg for time
    I did 4 rounds then got sick in the toilet and then started my own session.
    Im never doing that ever again!!! lesson learned!!

was meant to go to athletics this morning, but I legit cant even move, my legs are literally burning..... hopefully ill recover soon:(

Found some scales today and it turns out bodyweight is still 65kg....havent gained at all,kinda dissappointed right now

Disappointing session today, havent fully recovered from saturday

Snatch
    only managed 62.5kg
    should really be hitting 67 with the comp on next week

power Clean and power jerk
    really sucked today,
    only got 70kg, and the clean here was really a squat clean

Front squat
    managed to hit 105 here, didnt manage 107 ....

started messing around doing clean and jerks after maxing my front squat,hit 75kg easy in my flat shoes so I think ill open my clean and jerk at 75

So had a much much better session last night, got my confidence back anyway after it.

Snatch
    maxed at 64kg, caught 66kg solidly but then lost my balance in the overhead squats and dropped it behind me, really should have gotten it
    Im planning on opening at 60kg next week

Clean and jerk
    Maxed at 83kg
    Missed the jerk twice for 85 but i matched my pr of 83 pretty solidly. First time to hit that in a while, havent gotten above 75 for the last week.

Clean pulls
    90 3x3
    Would have done heavier but I literally couldnt hold onto any more weight than that without dropping the bar, my grip strength is unbelieveably bad

Mobility work with hurdles first
    8x 110m sprint with 4 2ft hurdles in it
    Break
    5 x110m sprint with 4 2ft hurdles

Done basically flat out, I cant hurdle for my life even if theyre tiny hurdles like today,Its mostly the impactof landing down from the hurdle that killed me out today but i hope im okay for training tomorrow.

Im getting a bit rundown over the last week and a bit but I only have to hold out for one more week then I can take it a little easier

Right so, last night was a gentle session as part of the taper for cork at the weekend.

Snatch
    was meant to hit 60 ,only managed 55, my back was pretty painful after sunday and I was pretty hevily fatigued. Id catch the snatch easy with pretty good technique then my arms would just lose the tension and the bar dropped, so so ammoying!!

Clean and jerk
    Hit a super solid 75kg, like really solid!! so thats definitely what im opening on

Clean pulls
    3x3 90kg

All I have to do now, is the light wednesday session and try to recover as much as I possibly can between now and saturday

last session before cork on saturday

Snatch
    made it up to 60,left it there

prclean/prjerk
    went up to 70, was fairly easy

Frotn squats
    3x1 95kg

Overall a boring and uneventful session

Right so I was in the cork open on saturday, it was a great day, I lifted really well and im happy with how it went

Bodyweight: 65.8kg ,about a kilo heavier than I expected to be

Snatch
    1st attempt: 58
    2nd attempt: 62
    3rd attempt: 66
    Was having a crappy warmup so lowered the opener to 58 as i was too nervous. hit it pretty well on the platform after that the nerves were all gone.
    Finished with the highest snatch in my group. The 66 was real easy too ,the last time i got it it was really really shaky

Clean and jerk
    1st attempt: 75
    2nd attempt: 80
    3rd attempt: 85 x
    Got the 80 really easy, decided since I was doing well and it didnt really matter i went for the pb at 85 rather than just getting 83. Messed up my timing on the jerk and just didnt get a good drive going

Overall a good day of lifting, Im disappointed I didnt get the 85 but ill get it and more next time

• Advertisement

So I decided to take a week out from training after cork and just go out at night and all the other stuff training gets in the way of. had a great week but its back to training now.

Went down to the track this morning
    plyometric warmup first
    then 2x500m ,didnt time them but judging from the person ahead of me they were around 1minutes 27seconds to 1min28
    was meant to do a third one but my head was spinning real bad so i called it quits.

measured our standing jumps then. 2 metres 44 is what i got. its not great but i can work on it.

then finished up with a load of stretching.
    Will hopefully get into the gym tomorrow

Went gym this morning.it was pretty damn rough....so much volume

Sots press
    1x5 35kg
    had to pull it back then, was just too lightheaded from lack of sleep
    4x5 30kg

Snatch high pull/snatch
    (1,1)x3x5 47kg
    was really really tough,they nearly defeated me..nearly

Jerks from behind neck
    worked up to 5 reps at 60kg
    was jerking well but on the second set of 60 I rereacked it really really badly,came crashing down on my neck so i left it at that...its still really sore

Assistance
    paloff press 3x10
    db incline flyes 3x10 7.5kg
    wrist curls 3x10 3kg

So so so much volume..i really it doesnt stay so high for long

Snatch fak
    5x3 50kg

Jerks from rack
    5x5 60kg only got 2 reps on last set

Push press
    5x5 40kg ,missed last rep of 3 sets,

Paralell squats
    3x10 90kg ,missed last rep of sets 2 and 3 from leg cramps

Overall i missed quite a few reps but im usually fairly consistent so im not too worried about it. Also got shown the trick to lowering the bar for jerks so that was a limiting factor this time like on monday

Drop snatch
    5x5 @40 missed a few reps but made sure to make them up at the end

Snatch high pull/snatch
    ((1,1)x2)x5 @55
    these were pretty solid, my turnover speed is still improving and i had one rep where i absolutely nailed for the first time

Paused front squats
    okay..these were horrible ,just couldnt move any weight at all
    3x5 @80
    2x5 @70 huge struggle and i completely failed 85

Press in split
    5x5 @30

Side plank row
    3x10 @5kg DB's

Snatch fak
    3x5 55
    2x5 50

Jerk from rack
    5x3 60,65,70,65,65
    Tried 75 but didnt manage it at all, only got the first rep. Felt strong all the way through up to 70 though

Parallell Back squats
    1x9 100, just couldnt get that last rep
    2x10 90
    Gotten a lot stronger here ,these felt really good

Push press
    1x5 40
    1x5 45
    1x1 50
    Had to ditch it here because my shoulder acted up again

Bulgarian split squats
    3x10 40
    Cant balance at all doing these, I cant go heavier because im afraid of falling over

Yesterday evening
    Big group stretching session.. actually nearly died, was on the verge of tears at one point

then a circuit style warmup with oly lifting bar work
    then 1x3 snatch 60kg
    1x3 clean and jerk 70kg
    snatches were really solid,jerks not so much, the platforms were really slippy which didnt help
    This is a deload week so ya going to try to train a lot this week

This morning

Went through as many stretches as I could remember,then did a good bit of bar work
    1x3 snatch 60
    1x3 clean and jerk 70
    Jerks were so so solid, so easy
    I can already feel the stretching starting to work
    And im loving this early morning session,might do this more often now

Yesterdays session
    started off with stretching and stuff and a aload of foam rolling,

Snatch
    started snatching ,immediately knew it wouldnt be good, my shoulder was really really stiff and painful, foam it out a lot and kept trying to snatch but just called it a day at 50kg

Clean and jerk
    These were great
    Was supposed to do 70x3 singles, but my competitive spirit kicked in while sharing a bar and next thing i knew i did
    1x75
    1x80
    1x85 !!!!! PR
    Did a 2kg Pr with 85kg, :P really happy with it too, it felt really easy so thats good

so yesterday was another easy day

Snatch
    got up too 55 this time and it wasnt till i hit 60 that my shoulder started to hurt

Clean and jerk
    3x1 @70
    really really easy

stretching beforehand aswell, seeing some improvement there already

So todays session went like this

stretching for 20 minutes ,am already getting a little tiny bit more flexible :rolleyes:

then the lifting
    Snatch
    Got up to 2x1 @60 today, couldnt get the 3rd single at all becasue my shoulder started to hurt but i think that problem is almost gone

Clean and jerk
    3x1 @75
    Super super easy! my jerk seems to be on point right now, id say i could get another pr now if id tried

• Advertisement

So back to a hard ,heavy high volume program for the next two weeks

Snatch pull+snatch
    5x3 @60
    missed every attempt at the 5th set,but overall not too bad. I havent ever done that many reps with 60 before in one session

Clean pull+ clean FAK + jerk
    ((1,1)x2)x5 @70
    The clean was the hardest part here, i missed a few of them but retook them immediately each time. Only missed 2 jerks overall and they were really near misses

Front squats
    5x5 @90
    really hard and heavy but I got through all the reps

Deficit clean pulls
    Standing on 10 kg plates
    5x5 @90
    this was awful,my poor legs wouldnt work properly afterwards.

Also as of last night bodyweight is 67.3kg

Advertisement