Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My garden Room Build

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The finished article (outside anyway!)

521854.jpeg

The lighting I got from IKEA. Great piece of kit, with a wireless controller that sits in the main house. Choice of warm or cool white. Very slick with super easy setup. 2 sets gets you 6 bulbs and 2 controllers. That’s a spare bulb for outside and a controller for inside, so just bought 6 x warm white dimmable for a fiver each To use with the 2nd controller.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-remote-control-kit-white-spectrum-00406547/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where's RobAMerc got to with his?

Did I miss an update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, I bought an old Jag and my attention has been diverted away from this for a while.

There are only a few minor bits left, mostly with the paint brush ( which I hate )

But I've officially moved in, its the HQ of my company now and I work there daily !

The damn plug for the TV box is too big to fit behind the telly so despite all my hard work there are still cables hanging down.
    I will fix that easily enough - but as I said, my attention is elsewhere at the moment.

521889.jpeg
    521890.jpeg
    521891.jpeg
    521892.jpeg

dodzy wrote: »
    The lighting I got from IKEA. Great piece of kit, with a wireless controller that sits in the main house. Choice of warm or cool white. Very slick with super easy setup. 2 sets gets you 6 bulbs and 2 controllers. That’s a spare bulb for outside and a controller for inside, so just bought 6 x warm white dimmable for a fiver each To use with the 2nd controller.
    How did you wire them?

Lighting is weird now. We used to rely on lighting ring circuits (I think, I'm no sparks) but now with wireless controls there's no need for switching circuitry. So what do we do? Wire all the light sockets all in parallel from a dedicated slot in the consumer unit? Hang them off a plug socket? Wire them into a plug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

RobAMerc wrote: »
    sorry, I bought an old Jag and my attention has been diverted away from this for a while.

There are only a few minor bits left, mostly with the paint brush ( which I hate )

But I've officially moved in, its the HQ of my company now and I work there daily !

The damn plug for the TV box is too big to fit behind the telly so despite all my hard work there are still cables hanging down.
    I will fix that easily enough - but as I said, my attention is elsewhere at the moment.

521892.jpeg

What line of work are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He helps young women down in there luck with a new career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

afatbollix wrote:
    He helps young women down in there luck with a new career.

For up to $5000 per gig

Yeah.... we're gonna need to see pics of the Jag too :pac:

Also, have you any plans on alarming the room or any type of security system?

Odelay wrote: »
    What line of work are you in?

First thing that popped into my head too. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    How did you wire them?

Lighting is weird now. We used to rely on lighting ring circuits (I think, I'm no sparks) but now with wireless controls there's no need for switching circuitry. So what do we do? Wire all the light sockets all in parallel from a dedicated slot in the consumer unit? Hang them off a plug socket? Wire them into a plug?

I’ve a 13amp fused spur Coming off the ring main in the house (approx 8 mtrs from point to point). Where the 2.5sq enters the shed on the left side, I’ve an isolator (another fused 13amp I had spare) which feeds off to sockets in both sides of the build. At this isolator I also have a feed to another fused spur (6 amp) ) for all the lighting, internal and external. Total load for lights is 12 x 5w GU10 led and a twin T8 100w fluorescent for shed side. So very little demand on the lighting circuit. I’ve a perm feed to the external lights and a separate switched feed To both the shed fluorescent and the ‘room’ side (in case daughter loses the wireless controller - not if, more like when) .
    As for the rest of the power, 4 double sockets on her side for nothing of demand (525watt panel heater is the only appliance ) and 4 on the shed side, again, very little demand. I did buy a Scheppach bench drill in Lidl for €99 (500watt) Which will be a permanent fixture. So, I should be fine with 13amps - plenty to spare :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's really useful.

Which panel heater did you go for?

What ventilation?

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks, that's really useful.

Which panel heater did you go for?

What ventilation?

Bought this on the blind.

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/ultraslim-paintable-550-watt-panel-heater-with-smart-app-epph5w

Worth a punt at the price I felt. As for ventilation, I didn’t. If she’s too warm, she can open the door ;)

There are Integrated vents in both of the door top sides.

Bought this on the blind.

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/ultraslim-paintable-550-watt-panel-heater-with-smart-app-epph5w

Worth a punt at the price I felt. As for ventilation, I didn’t. If she’s too warm, she can open the door ;)

There are Integrated vents in both of the door top sides.

Good find! I also bought a cheap heater and invested the savings in a Nest smoke alarm. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any reason why you went with fluorescent?
    There’s lots of good LED lights out there that will give you the same or better light.

ted1 wrote: »
    Any reason why you went with fluorescent?
    There’s lots of good LED lights out there that will give you the same or better light.
    Didn’t buy yet, never even done groundwork. Would gladly go LED if not costing a fortune. Care to recommend something Ted?

I got this one 4ft one recently : L'Home 4FT 120CM 36W LED Batten... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MBTRHS9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    Lights up a 8ft x 10ft shed really well.

Haven’t had it long enough to give a proper review, but so far so good

Didn’t buy yet, never even done groundwork. Would gladly go LED if not costing a fortune. Care to recommend something Ted?

FWIW the parts I used for my overengineered setup here were these from https://www.hiline-lighting.co.uk/

...plus alu profile diffusers from the local electrical wholesaler for about €16 per 2m.

You could pare that back a bit to save a fair bit, e.g. use lower power transformer, 12V rather than 24V, don't bother with connectors.

But the CCT tuneable white style of LEDs are fantastic. Just pay attention to watts per meter and lumens per meter and spec appropriately leaving 10% overhead in the transformer.

I got this one 4ft one recently : L'Home 4FT 120CM 36W LED Batten... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MBTRHS9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ted, thanks a mill. Had a quick look..... and purchased via amazon prime for 20quid delivered. Can’t ask for more than that and no homework needed on my part :)

Thanks for the info Lumen

Super light, worked out a treat, cheers Ted

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mbHBc6fDTrU

Daughter put this together last night. Finished. At last. Total cost 4,260€.

• Advertisement

is that wallpaper? the stone effect works really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That worked out really well. You do realise you're never getting rid of her now though right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Super job all around and a great little video for posterity.

You should be very proud dodzy, congratulations.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

is that wallpaper? the stone effect works really well
    yes, one wall.one roll. Ordered 2 to allow for the match but didn’t need it. Have a spare roll here.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That worked out really well. You do realise you're never getting rid of her now though right :D
    yep:) the colour she wanted for the 3 walls was warm sand dulux but on application it was way too dark. Tinted it @ 10 parts white to 1 part warm sand - made 2x2.5 Ltr tubs so can touch up in the future as I’ll most likely forget how I made it!
    Super job all around and a great little video for posterity.

You should be very proud dodzy, congratulations.
    cheers, really enjoyed it. The plastering was interesting; first time, but finished up pretty well. Just taped and jointed the ceiling. She’s happy out.

Wow dodzy. That looks fantastic well done!

Wow dodzy. That looks fantastic well done!

Owe you for sussing out the cladding pal👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Well done dodzy. It looks great.
    I suppose it will be know as the Covid19 room forever more!

cocoman wrote: »
    Well done dodzy. It looks great.
    I suppose it will be know as the Covid19 room forever more!

Dead right. A missed trip to Majorca paid for the thing 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Brilliant job and fair play for sharing. Great fun family video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 yulasinio

@dodzy that looks great. How close to the back wall the building is? Do you have the same finish on the back and sides?
    I'm getting ideas for my shed/office and I would like to maximize the garden space as much as possible meaning that I'm trying to build close to boundary walls.

Thanks,
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yulasinio wrote: »
    @dodzy that looks great. How close to the back wall the building is? Do you have the same finish on the back and sides?
    I'm getting ideas for my shed/office and I would like to maximize the garden space as much as possible meaning that I'm trying to build close to boundary walls.

Thanks,
    J

You could build right up to them , but you have to consider roof water drainage, gutters and piping. And also consider how you would get your siding sheeting on and finished painting. Perhaps future maintenance. So the gaps would be then down to your comfort getting at the above.

Might sound like space-wasting, of course, but if you have a typical rectangle/squared-off back garden, then leaving 2.5ft of a gap is a handy idea, assuming the garden isn't tiny to begin with.

By doing this, you have plenty of space for painting, maintenance, gutters, etc. but you can also hang a side-gate on it, and you've loads of space to hide away the wheelie bins, bicycle, kids toys, BBQ, leftover decking, etc. so they're not cluttering up your garden space.

yulasinio wrote: »

Thanks,
    J

If you're going to build tight to the walls get the plastic cladding that way there's no maintenance required. You could essentially build the back and side walls more or less finished and slide them into place.

Might sound like space-wasting, of course, but if you have a typical rectangle/squared-off back garden, then leaving 2.5ft of a gap is a handy idea, assuming the garden isn't tiny to begin with.

By doing this, you have plenty of space for painting, maintenance, gutters, etc. but you can also hang a side-gate on it, and you've loads of space to hide away the wheelie bins, bicycle, kids toys, BBQ, leftover decking, etc. so they're not cluttering up your garden space.

Amen to that. My late father had a block shed built out the back of the house I grew up in in the 90's and decided to have it plonked as close as possible to the boundary walls for some reason. Was a fine shed/utility room/boiler house. 2 x 10sq SWAs ran for the boiler and general electrics. Hot and cold water. Drainage and guttering was perfect and had an insulated roof but there was only an 10" gap at most between the shed and boundary walls. It was built when I was about 10 years old so I had the job of maintaining the back of the shed as I was the only one who could fit down the gap. I remember clearing the gutters via the roof when I was 16 or 17.

House was sold 14 years ago, I grew up and the aul lad has passed since but I will never forget that shed. As far as I know it has been turned into a man cave since and that makes me happy :pac::)

Thank you all for the replies and sorry to Rob for hijacking the thread.

So, like many others I'm researching on building/buying a garden room + storage. Had this in plan since 2016 when we bought the house but WFH now for unforeseeable future so might as well get my arse in gear and do it this year.

The garden is 10.4m/7.4m and would like to use as much of the width as possible to get around 20sqm building which will then be split between a storage area and a office/hang out room.

I kept looking at timber frame offices and like Rob I think I can knock it out myself with a bit of help here and there :) but I don't really like to leave 1m to the sides and back for maintenance etc. I'm also thinking block built with the back and one side walls close as possible to existing block fence walls. Then use a flashing to "divert" the water from my building to the fence capping. To the right side I will have access to remove the fence panel to render it, neighbour is nice enough and he will provide me access to do that :)

If you're going to build tight to the walls get the plastic cladding that way there's no maintenance required. You could essentially build the back and side walls more or less finished and slide them into place.

Was thinking on building the wall frame, adding the osb + cladding and lift out the wall in place but how do I handle the corner? Also would I need to do something at the bottom where the wall meets the floor frame or just overhand osb and cladding to pass below the floor frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When you say flashing ? You can't divert the water off your roof to he neighbors garden

It will be a flat roof with the gutter at the front of the building. The only water that will be on the boundary wall will be from my building wall. The existing fence wall is approx 2m high and my finish building will be 800mm above that so it shouldn't be that much water accumulated.

Sorry for not including roof details in my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Some great detailed info in the videos here also for anyone that is looking to build a garden room this year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChqWFbSX8STP_c8W0RVW1Xw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mloc123 wrote: »
    Some great detailed info in the videos here also for anyone that is looking to build a garden room this year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChqWFbSX8STP_c8W0RVW1Xw

He's very good. Oak Garden Rooms and Ali Dymock are my go to places. Ali is more DIY but great explanations whereas oak are professional and high quality

yulasinixo wrote: »

Thanks,
    J

I left approx 600mm on the 3 sides, primarily for access and periodic inspection. I wrapped it fully in the PVC cladding to avoid maintenance. The overhang at the back keeps a dry area between the rear wall of the shed and the boundary wall of the property so I use this area for storage of lawnmower and other garden tools that are not afraid of the cold. Gives me more room in the ‘tools side’ of the build.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply dodzy.

Currently waiting for a quote from a builder to see how much will it be to do the construction using concrete blocks. Based on that I'll decide on my next steps.
    I'm planning on doing a separate room for storing stuff, that's why I'm trying to maximise my garden space :)

Just spotted this thread is 1 year old today !

Here are some pics of how it turned out and looks now.

Been a lot of work done on the garden since this initial state, including an underground sump with pump and french drains across the garden.

Now all I need is the damn grass to grow properly !

552276.jpg

552277.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Picked a good day for the photos. Looks great tucked away discreetly in the corner. How is it all working out - what are you using it for ? Any lessons learned to share ?

Are you sorry you didn't make it bigger yet? :D

It looks great, any issues at all with damp or anything you should've done differently now you've had time to think.

It being used daily as my office. Its working out great! I had some issues with the wifi originally being a bit sketchy, but I put in a mesh system and it was solved.
    Its more than big enough, internally close to 3.5x3.5, in fact I am looking for stuff to fill it.

If there are damp patches or leaks, I dont know of them !

If I could change anything, I'd put in a toilet ! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It being used daily as my office. Its working out great! I had some issues with the wifi originally being a bit sketchy, but I put in a mesh system and it was solved.
    Its more than big enough, internally close to 3.5x3.5, in fact I am looking for stuff to fill it.

SaniFlo and a shower curtail. Sorted ;)

Stay Free

Jesus Rob, that was a bloody quick year :)

It just reminded me of the video I put in post #321 above last year. My poor westie who did a few cameos in the vid left us after 16yrs shortly after :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fit a urinal and a sink.... Sorted

Fit a urinal and a sink.... Sorted

or just fit a sink :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

or just fit a sink :D

Well I won't lie, I used a sink for a few days the toilet was out of action, needed to fit new seal, was leaking everywhere, then I wasn't the only one using it. Wife's brother was over and a few friends, they copped on pretty quickly there was no need to go upstairs ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement