Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My garden Room Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That tree nearest the roof doesn't look the safest, I'd be dropping that in case it does a bit of damage in the next storm.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Well, this is what I was told "One 32A main switch at house main board.
    1 armored cable 4 or 6mm(buried where possible)
    1 small sub board at office with 10A breaker for lights, 20A RCD(protection device) for sockets and 10A breaker for flooring."

This was before I changed to go with Panel heater as I am told the underfloor electric mats are sh1te - I dont think it will change too much though.

Its a 55m run from the board in the house to the room.

Another suggested no sub board and 2.5 mm cable "would be loads"

btw - that much 10mm cable is €450 from screwfix, there must be cheaper !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobAMerc wrote: »
    1 small sub board at office with 10A breaker for lights, 20A RCD(protection device) for sockets and 10A breaker for flooring."

This was before I changed to go with Panel heater as I am told the underfloor electric mats are sh1te - I dont think it will change too much though.

try a proper electrical supplier like https://www.eurosales.ie/ or kellerhers ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

10sq would probably be overkill imo unless you plan on turning it into a garage/workshop (think big motors). I'd go for the 6sq over the 4 anyway but definitely get a price from a wholesaler not screwfix.

Have you a panel heater in mind? It'll have a power rating (watts) on it (power (W)/voltage=current(A)) to give you an idea of the loads you'll be drawing so a 2000w heater will be in and around 8-9A at peak load and less if only using at a lower setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I believe the permitted alternative to deep burial of the cable is to surface mount it along a boundary wall or fence.

It obvs looks worse but is a lot less effort than digging a 2 foot trench. The first foot is easy....

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    10sq would probably be overkill imo unless you plan on turning it into a garage/workshop (think big motors). I'd go for the 6sq over the 4 anyway but definitely get a price from a wholesaler not screwfix.

Have you a panel heater in mind? It'll have a power rating (watts) on it (power (W)/voltage=current(A)) to give you an idea of the loads you'll be drawing so a 2000w heater will be in and around 8-9A at peak load and less if only using at a lower setting.

Thanks - I was looking at a 450w Eco panel heater - dunno what that means
    Eco Panel
    Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW I believe the permitted alternative to deep burial of the cable is to surface mount it along a boundary wall or fence.

It obvs looks worse but is a lot less effort than digging a 2 foot trench. The first foot is easy....

So, the houses were originally built with a dwarf wall between them, my next door neighbours built a full size wall leaving a 1 inch ish trough between them that I think is ideal for running a cable in. I will then put stones or cement into it to seal - imo I am much less likely to be digging around in there than digging in the garden !

Thanks - I was looking at a 450w Eco panel heater - dunno what that means
    Eco Panel

Not even 2A at peak load you'll be fine. I'd say there will be no more than 10A peak from what you have planned. Better to be over spec though as you'll most likely have a coffee machine/kettle possibly a small fridge all followed shortly after by your bed and belongings :D

any thoughts on NYM-J vs Armoured ? told either is fine but I am thinking NYM-J might be a shortcut too far

any thoughts on NYM-J vs Armoured ? told either is fine but I am thinking NYM-J might be a shortcut too far

You'd be thinking right that's cutting corners. It could be argued if it was ducted the entire length of the route what makes it different from what ESB networks though.

You have to consider the person that doesn't know it's there after you've sold the house or are out when someone is doing some work in your garden down.

Twin and earth for the local wiring and SWA for the long run back to the main DB. There could be an arguement for installing an earth rod particularly if the house is old and doesn't already have a rod sunk but the electrical forum will give better specifics it's been along time since I've done any house bashing and standards have changed since.

thanks - I thought so.
    1 sparky said, yes sunken rod - another said no need as there is no plumbing or metal framing.
    the house was totally rewired in 2011 and there is an earth rod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

If it was me, I’m a sparks, I’d run a 6sq out there into a subboard, 10A RCBO got lighting, 10A RCBO for sockets,

You never know you may devise to extend the build at some stage in the future, better to have capacity on the cable ie 6sq, 10 is overkill.

Probably best to bury it but it can also be clipped above ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Great thread and will be following. Watched some of that guys YouTube aswell. Makes it all look so easy and logical. I would love to be able to do this kind of stuff but am a complete moron when it comes to DIY. The missus breaks out in a cold sweat when she sees me opening the tool box or taking out a drill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

If it was me, I’m a sparks, I’d run a 6sq out there into a subboard, 10A RCBO got lighting, 10A RCBO for sockets,

You never know you may devise to extend the build at some stage in the future, better to have capacity on the cable ie 6sq, 10 is overkill.

this is what I had for something similar except maybe a larger breaker for sockets as I was running some tools. Ended up with a washer and dryer down there and was glad of the peace of mind that the capacity was there. IIRC the price difference for 6sq vs 4sq was negligible. I had a 10-12m run and was well over €100 from an electrical wholesalers, so I imagine your €450 quote for 5x that long is about right.

good luck with the build, enjoying the thread

An RCBO for lighting, Cén fáth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    An RCBO for lighting, Cén fáth?

No reason other than convenience, MCB perfectly adequate also.

Off topic but I believe we should be using RCBOs entirely as opposed to MCBs alongside an RCD.

Makes for an easier install and also easier fault finding

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Prices are getting saucy ! but I think I am still in good stead to make it for under 5k - but its gonna be tough ( mainly coz of the sparky ! )

Looking great, is it the cladding/insulation that puts your costs up? or the sparks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Looks good op, just looked at your op. I'd have used ground screws, far easier... also I'd have doubled up the 6x 2 on the printed, one fir wall to sit on and the other for osb / plywood to sit on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

With all the disagreement over cabling runs, I would definitely duct the run between the house and the build on case you want to change / upgrade or add things in the future.
    Great work btw

Darando wrote: »
    Looking great, is it the cladding/insulation that puts your costs up? or the sparks?

It's all just adding up. Lots of bits i didn't think about originally.
    Ive decided top go for pvc cladding for now rather than the cedar. I will come back and do the front facing sides in cedar later but the pvc will have to do for now. Time and money dictate this.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Looks good op, just looked at your op. I'd have used ground screws, far easier... also I'd have doubled up the 6x 2 on the printed, one fir wall to sit on and the other for osb / plywood to sit on

Have you completed yours? Pics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Contemplating mine but can’t afford a big overrun so just checking where my hidden costs may be.Framing, sheeting seems reasonable from my calcs, it’s insulation and cladding that adds up it seems (leaving out window costs).
    Ive decided top go for pvc cladding for now rather than the cedar. I will come back and do the front facing sides in cedar later but the pvc will have to do for now. Time and money dictate this.

Alkers wrote: »
    With all the disagreement over cabling runs, I would definitely duct the run between the house and the build on case you want to change / upgrade or add things in the future.
    Great work btw

And not to forget put cat6 in the ducting too.

Pvc or composite? You'll get a nice finish from a composite. However I believe it may be pricey. I clad my porch add on with ceder. But I picked it up free from connections it came down from an office block. Beautiful stuff and cost me nothing.

Timber framed the porch like yours breathable insulation in walls. All adds up very quickly.

Darando wrote: »
    Contemplating mine but can’t afford a big overrun so just checking where my hidden costs may be.Framing, sheeting seems reasonable from my calcs, it’s insulation and cladding that adds up it seems (leaving out window costs).

You won't put up something like this with a reasonable fit and finish like heat retention etc for less than 5k. That's doing everything yourself bar maybe restricted trade work .. elecs

Even at 5k you'd want to be starting with some tools of your own for all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

In relation to foundation...I can see the OP has the room resting on blocks...How do you protect the floor timbers from rot and damp

its 6 inches off the ground with DPC lining on the bottom of the timbers, and polythene covering it - the wood is also treated.
    The cladding will also come down pretty close to the bottom.
    It will be dry under there !

So I am thinking about the roof - due to the position of the room, as far as I can see the taper in the roof is going look a bit off.

I wonder if anyone on here knows of a way to avoid this.
    I going with a 75mm to 0 slope on the roof, this means a fairly large taper down one side as you look at it from the back of my house.

As I am using EPDM I may have some flexibility in how I can build the roof.
    here is what I am thinking -
    I have a roof trim kerb of about 25mm high and 50mm lip on it, intended to follow the taper and lay flat on the epdm.
    My idea is to run another 75 x 75 batten alongside the firrings on one side. I could butt the ply up against this meaning this would be the real kirb on the roof and use flexibility of the rubber and some of the stronger adhesive to shape it over the kerb.
    Then when putting the trims on - both would be sitting atop a 75mm batton their full length, giving an equal height fascia on both sides.

Does this make any sense ? Am I leaving myself open for problems creating this dummy kerb and trying to shape the rubber around it ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How will the water drain off if you have this "kerb"? (parapet?)

the kerb is on 1 side only running alongside the fall - so the water will drain off the same way as it always would

• Advertisement

maybe this will make sense of it
    I dont think its much different to the way modern houses flat roofs look to have no roof at all, there is just a big kirb around it of block

49914437442_a4648c60e2_b.jpg

Advertisement