Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hi Mags, be careful with UK imports at present as although your insurance company may well cover you for 30 days on the UK plate, NCT depots are currently not expected to re-open until August and SIMI are lobbying that when they do, that the first week or so be availed by dealers/trade only. Also, as the UK new car market is vastly down this year, as is the Irish market, UK cars are holding their prices more even with the Covid-19 pandemic. Dealers like myself (Ford Thurles) have been working in the background through lockdown servicing emergency vehicles and have taken advantage of this time to get all of our used stock prepped ready for sale, so in my case, if you were paying cash, you could take delivery within 1 hour or if funding, next day? Cheers, James

Used to see a lot of posts like this a few years ago '' be careful with UK imports the are all clocked and crashed.
    That all seem to stop when the dealers started imported themselfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi all, I have a UK address although for the last 5 years I have lived in Ireland and will continue to do so. I bought a car over there, 2001 SLK 230Komp, couple of grand and when I looked at the OMSP, it was €49,000 on Revenue with VRT and NOX of €14500 payable. Obvious mistake. But, heres the thing, I have it registered (Log book), taxed, MOT'd and insured in the UK all in my UK address. So, my question is, if I wait till after 6 months ownership, will I be able to get it transferred to Irish plates, without having to pay the VRT. I hold dual citizenship.

Hilarious; given that you have identified yourself (in the same thread) as James from the Ford dealership in Thurles, I suspect that you would find it difficult to produce the evidence of U.K. work up to the date of transfer etc as would be required to obtain the Transfer of Residence exemption from Revenue. You have, however, identified yourself as someone with few scruples and not likely the type of person any of us should want to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭deezell

Can't blame him for trying to flog his used stock when nobody is buying. I agree that dealers were the ones putting out the ' all imports crashed/clocked" propaganda, until they started importing themselves, which is what the public wanted; affordable quality higher spec used cars. Unfortunately, you were more likely to get a clocked car from a 'dealer' here than if you travelled over yourself and bought from a decent garage. First used import I ever bought was from a dealer in Ballinasloe in 2006, it was clocked by 40K miles. 4 year old VW Passat with 80k on the clock, loads of kit and drove really well. Copped the vin on the service booklet didn't match, done a UK check and lo and behold.. Consumer organisation took up our case and he ended up in court, only then did he compensate us by the amount appropriate to the increased milage.
    Dealers have shot themselves in the foot again by their 'UK smoky diesels dumping' campaign. The Nox charge response has nothing to do with smoke, Nox is invisible. It may be a dangerous gas, ( so is co and co2 in their own way), but it was used as a convenient tool to take away a whole segment of affordable used cars, but only if they were imports, not if they were second hand sales on a dealers lot
    Having said all that, the nurse needs a car in a hurry, and buying up north could be a mistake if she buys the wrong diesel car or doesn't do her homework on the VRT and Nox she'll pay further down the road. She should be able to get a good deal locally, good warranty, etc, no surprises when the NCT reopens. It's a buyers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hi all, I have a UK address although for the last 5 years I have lived in Ireland and will continue to do so. I bought a car over there, 2001 SLK 230Komp, couple of grand and when I looked at the OMSP, it was €49,000 on Revenue with VRT and NOX of €14500 payable. Obvious mistake. But, heres the thing, I have it registered (Log book), taxed, MOT'd and insured in the UK all in my UK address. So, my question is, if I wait till after 6 months ownership, will I be able to get it transferred to Irish plates, without having to pay the VRT. I hold dual citizenship.

Just on another note, the revenue system incorrectly thinks an SLK230 was €549,633 new. A clear typo on their system.
    They’ve depreciated it by 92%, as they do, and it’s gone back to €50k (plus nox), which is where the €15k VRT figure comes from.

The correct figure for VRT is €1500 plus nox.

If you change the model from SLK230 to SLK you get a figure of €1500 for VRT.

Nice car, looks class in blue.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just on another note, the revenue system incorrectly thinks an SLK230 was €549,633 new. A clear typo on their system.
    They’ve depreciated it by 92%, as they do, and it’s gone back to €50k (plus nox), which is where the €15k VRT figure comes from.

The correct figure for VRT is €1500 plus nox.

If you change the model from SLK230 to SLK you get a figure of €1500 for VRT.

Nice car, looks class in blue.

Mac the Knife will be happy, but he showed his true colours when he though he was screwed. It is hilarious especially as he tried to work the poor exhausted nurse. Well spotted Marcusm

• Advertisement

Tell you what knifeman, offer that nurse the use of a used vehicle free until she can get time and her head around replacing or fixing her own. Redeem yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ffs knifeman

TheKnife007, Knifeman, Mr Bond, (his real name is James?), whatever. It's like a name a gangter would choose. Something more car salesy would be better, like "furry dice" or "Arfur Daly" or "Clocked".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Scotland and Wales are still essential travel only. Luckily for your one here, the stop was on the return leg and allowed to proceed.

https://twitter.com/PembsRPU/status/1263817138403491842?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

macplaxton wrote: »
    Scotland and Wales are still essential travel only. Luckily for your one here, the stop was on the return leg and allowed to proceed.

https://twitter.com/PembsRP403491842?s=20

this guy was quite willing to risk bringing the virus home with home to infect god knows who. Selfish git

• Advertisement

We have the virus here too to be fair.
    Not condoning what he’s done, but if he took appropriate measures on the ferry, he’s not exactly a additional risk compared to those going to the shop.

Not condoning what he’s done, but if he took appropriate measures on the ferry, he’s not exactly a additional risk compared to those going to the shop.

Then why are we restricted to 5km? The only reason that we are escaping so well is that most people have stuck to the restrictions and this guy thinks they don't apply to him. You're defending the indefensible!

Im not defending him.

The 5km limit is for exercising. There are multiple ferries operating every day, there are exemptions in place for loads of people.

Yes it’s a bit of a dumb move, but there’s worse than that going on. For example, a neighbour of mine had 14 people over for a housewarming last week. No distancing taking place.
    Not supposed to be whataboutery, but that’s far more of a risk IMO.

He took his lead from Dominic sCummbagins.

Im not defending him.

The 5km limit is for exercising. There are multiple ferries operating every day, there are exemptions in place for loads of people.

Yes it’s a bit of a dumb move, but there’s worse than that going on. For example, a neighbour of mine had 14 people over for a housewarming last week. No distancing taking place.
    Not supposed to be whataboutery, but that’s far more of a risk IMO.

well unless you called the Gards, you can't have seen that much of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I've been watching 2nd hand car prices in the UK for the past couple of months.
    From what I can see, prices are at very least holding firm and if anything are increasing :eek:
    Not sure if there'll be a host of bargains in 2 months' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

deandean wrote: »
    From what I can see, prices are at very least holding firm and if anything are increasing :eek:

Wait until the Covid payment stops. Hopefully everything returns to normal, but there is a big bill that needs to be paid now, and we dont have a track record of asking apple, google, ebay etc to pay it....

😎

So what do people think is the situation with getting a car from the north at the minute?

So what do people think is the situation with getting a car from the north at the minute?
    If it's value, go for it, but not literally unless you live close to a border garage, or one who will transact over the net and deliver, but it's not like buying a pizza, you need to see, inspect, drive etc. Essential travel is still in place here and up there. Bad enough being turned back for home on your way there, but you could be turned back on the way home with your new prize, and be told to leave it there or get it delivered. Wait a few weeks, I've a feeling we're getting the better of this dose, but no need to balls it up.
    I see dozens of parked cars practically blocking my road home as they drive 30km out of the City to visit the forest park I live near to. I mean, it's closed, covered in signs, 5Km local pedestrian access only. They just can't wait to spread the thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Same as that lad from England. Essential journeys only meaning unless you get it transported it’s a no go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’ve been noticing more prices at supermarkets like CarGiant etc falling into the “low” and “great” price categories on Autotrader. I wonder are those the places which have sharpened their pencils already.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I’ve been noticing more prices at supermarkets like CarGiant etc falling into the “low” and “great” price categories on Autotrader. I wonder are those the places which have sharpened their pencils already.

With some of the low and great prices on some cars with the likes of Cargiant, there is a good reason for it.
    The can have two identical cars and have a price difference of up to 2k so i wouldn't like to buy one online and get it transported here without looking at it.

mgn wrote: »
    With some of the low and great prices on some cars with the likes of Cargiant, there is a good reason for it.
    The can have two identical cars and have a price difference of up to 2k so i wouldn't like to buy one online and get it transported here without looking at it.

It would be a huge leap to buy unseen, it helps if the car has a transferable warranty. Joe Duffy here have just put in a warranty claim on family July 2017 Mazda import, following a routine service. Great to have.
    Btw, most of the big main dealers are operating Car Supermarket systems, they just don't trumpet it. All the stock of the Marshall MB chain are sold that way, no discount, very few are own customer trade ins, but are sourced by the local sales manager from other MB dealerships, lease, pcp etc. From the horses mouth, he said they wouldn't have a job on new sales/own trade ins alone.

deezell wrote: »
    It would be a huge leap to buy unseen, it helps if the car has a transferable warranty. Joe Duffy here have just put in a warranty claim on family July 2017 Mazda import, following a routine service. Great to have.
    Btw, most of the big main dealers are operating Car Supermarket systems, they just don't trumpet it. All the stock of the Marshall MB chain are sold that way, no discount, very few are own customer trade ins, but are sourced by the local sales manager from other MB dealerships, lease, pcp etc. From the horses mouth, he said they wouldn't have a job on new sales/own trade ins alone.

There is a big difference between the likes of Marshall MB and Cargiant, the likes of Marshalls would get the likes of scratches and dents fixed before the would offer it for sale, where the the likes of Cargiant would have it up for sale straight from the auction house.
    Anyone buying one from them point out a few scratches or dents on a car the will shown another one that's dent free and add another 1k on to the price.
    You would be surprised with the amount of people not bothered with a few scratches then

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Lolz.

Residency is what decides, not citizenship. You could be a citizen of the Moon for all it matters.

That you live & work here, and so have a PPSN, that'll be the first thing Revenue ask you for. A quick trawl of your income tax record by them (Ford, Thurles isn't it) and hello, you're done. And possibly extra charges as well.

The fact you didn't twig a 20yr old so-so petrol car is valued in error by Revenue at over half-a-million €€ doesn't say much either.

I wouldn't darken Revenue's door with your proposal is my advice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Assuming a hard brexit goes ahead in December this will mean VAT payable on UK imports after then. But if the car was manufactured in the EU before being imported into UK does that alter things?

Also at the moment you can buy a car (e.g. less than 6 months old) ex-VAT in the UK and pay the VAT here. Will that still be possible after Brexit (assuming it's a VAT qualifying car)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 -dmo7-

Agreed on this. Living over in the UK. Price of cars is holding firm in many cases, over inflated in others, and in some cases some second hand models (MKV Golf GTI's mainly) are more expensive than that of Irish equivalent.

Be interesting post covid 19 to see what happens, 2020 will be interesting for the car market here with nine in 10 privately-purchased new cars bought in the past 12 months paid for through some sort of finance deal.

Diesel ban is being proposed in some citys (Bristol in March 2021), although this may be on hold due to Covid now, but the arse will fall out of the diesel market here when it does.

Better value in the North of England and Wales if you're looking from what i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Paid a fiver online to get an estimated VRT/Nox cost..just wondering have other people done the same and was it generally In and around the estimated cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jc11 wrote: »
    Paid a fiver online to get an estimated VRT/Nox cost..just wondering have other people done the same and was it generally In and around the estimated cost?

Best is get seller to tell you what's on the V5, there's so many variations of the same model, things like with/without a spare wheel that mean lower readings, differenty engine revisions etc that you can only really go with the V5.

Advertisement