Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

peaceboi wrote: »
    My friend paid deposit for Toyota Prius hybrid, he did rac comprehensive check as well. Fortunately the report was good. He also got quote from a fellow from Shiply.com agreeing to collect the car from London and d6eliver here to Dublin. Just wondering if anyone know how to inform vrt officials about booking appointments, since nct centres all closed.

NCT centres should reopen on 6th June, phase 2 of the roadmap. I assume the online vrt booking service will offer dates and times around then if not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

Esel wrote: »
    If you are happy to buy the car without personal inspection, you can have it transported.

Any recommendations for a company for this? Doesn't look like NVD still do it.

Even to drop in Dublin Port is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Cian86 wrote: »

Eirtrans are highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

brimeh wrote: »
    Any suggestions/recommendations for companies that do it?

I've also been thinking about doing this, but it would feel a bit dodgy to pay (even a dealer) for a car, and ask someone to go pick it up and bring it over.
    Sorry, don't know any. Reply above gives one though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

ustari wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping to buy something in the next couple of months when all this dies down.

Thinking along the following lines currently:
    • BMW 5 series G31 touring M sport(2017)
    • BMW X5 F15 M sport
    • Volvo XC90
    • VW Touareg

Hoping to get something 2015 onwards with 50k miles or less ideally, leather interior and decent spec hence M sport for the BMWs. Want it to have a decent boot for dog, rules out saloons.

Ideally a hybrid as it would most likely be the best value with the VRT. It is a real pity the G31 cannot be gotten in a hybrid in 2017 money like the saloon. For the X5 I wouldn't able to afford the diesel, would have to be the hybrid and that would be tight. The Touareg cost price in UK is relatively good value but the huge VRT negates that.

Are there any hybrids or low emission estates or SUVs that you can think of that would fall into the above that I might be missing?
    Preferably mid size and above, so 5 series, a6, e Class etc. Not A4, C Class, 3 series.

Brands that I would like to stay within:
    BMW
    Audi
    Mercedes
    Volkswagen
    Volvo

Budget would be 30000 euro landed and VRT paid tops, preferably closer to 25000.

Another estate for my list:
    Volvo v90 - really like the look of these, flew under my radar completely first time around.

Anything else I am missing that you can think of here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Also recommend Eirtrans, good company to deal with

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fek it, car with the spec I want came up, travel a no no with restrictions so ponied up and using Eirtrans

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

slave1 wrote: »
    Fek it, car with the spec I want came up, travel a no no with restrictions so ponied up and using Eirtrans

Very good, what did you buy and did you get rac inspection done?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Very good, what did you buy and did you get rac inspection done?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

Another estate for my list:
    Volvo v90 - really like the look of these, flew under my radar completely first time around.

Anything else I am missing that you can think of here?

The odd E class diesel hybrid pops up in your mileage/age bracket on autotrader.

Volvo also looks nice though.

• Advertisement

What does Eirtrans charge (ballpark)? Dealer or private purchase? Seriously considering doing the same - though the news tonight said 2 week quarantine in the UK won't apply to people coming from Ireland..

Not sure I'd even want to travel there either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

brimeh wrote: »
    What does Eirtrans charge (ballpark)? Dealer or private purchase? Seriously considering doing the same - though the news tonight said 2 week quarantine in the UK won't apply to people coming from Ireland..

Not sure I'd even want to travel there either way.

Got a price of €400 +VAT from Eirtrans. That was Bristol to Dublin.

Got a price of €400 +VAT from Eirtrans. That was Bristol to Dublin.

That’s not bad at all considering the cost of ferry/flight doing it yourself. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Has anyone got stopped by the Gardai with a UK car and explained that the NCT centers are shut and cant VRT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Has anyone got stopped by the Gardai with a UK car and explained that the NCT centers are shut and cant VRT ?
    As long as you have the correct paperwork (insurance and copy of the receipt) you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

deezell wrote: »
    NCT centres should reopen on 6th June, phase 2 of the roadmap. I assume the online vrt booking service will offer dates and times around then if not before.

Not too sure about that, Ross was saying it would be in the last phases before they will open.

Hope you are right though, I have a UK car bought from a dealer but we are held up until they re open.

Could you please send me on the ad when you post it please?
    Would like to take a look.

PM'd :pac:

Not too sure about that, Ross was saying it would be in the last phases before they will open.

Hope you are right though, I have a UK car bought from a dealer but we are held up until they re open.

Ross is an idiot. He should have quit his portfolio when he lost his seat, handed it over to a re-elected minister at least. Garage service bays are open, mechanics on site. What's the difference to an NCT bay? They should be open already, essential service. Wait till the first road fatality involving a non NCT'd car, then the manure will collide with the turbine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i suppose in the current context, the VRT procedure is an office based function. As far as the NCT test goes though, your point is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭User1998

My local vrt centre has always had a big glass screen up and theres always 2 metres between the employees so theres no reason they couldn’t be working now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Are the VRT offices still working? I had my car in for its VRT appointment the week before the lockdown, they said I'd get a call about the amount due but I haven't heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Are the VRT offices still working? I had my car in for its VRT appointment the week before the lockdown, they said I'd get a call about the amount due but I haven't heard anything yet.

Not open and no date as to when it will be yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

User1998 wrote: »
    My local vrt centre has always had a big glass screen up and theres always 2 metres between the employees so theres no reason they couldn’t be working now
    Yes but it's putting the employees in your car for 10-15 mins, accross many cars per day.
    It wont be open any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭User1998

10-15 minutes? They look at the mileage and the vin number, thats it. 2 minutes in and out. But I suppose unlocking the car, touching the steering wheel, sitting in the seats etc is probably enough to get infected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

User1998 wrote: »
    10-15 minutes? They look at the mileage and the vin number, thats it. 2 minutes in and out. But I suppose unlocking the car, touching the steering wheel, sitting in the seats etc is probably enough to get infected

No reason why the owner cant open the door and bonnet and stand back. the don't have to touch anything then.

And then charge you extra for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

mgn wrote: »
    No reason why the owner cant open the door and bonnet and stand back. the don't have to touch anything then.

And then charge you extra for doing that.

That’s exactly what happened when I did it, I opened the bonnet for her, she wrote down the vin, I opened the driver door for her and she wrote down the mileage. That was it and she went back inside to finish the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yea that's all well and good, vrt could probably work on their own, but most centres are small and all staff are in close contact all day long.

michellie wrote: »
    Yea that's all well and good, vrt could probably work on their own, but most centres are small and all staff are in close contact all day long.

That's easily resolved with a couple of portakabin offices. The admin space in Naas for example in ridiculously small. Like an old fashioned theatre box office. That needed fixing anyway, covid or not. Most of those NCT centres are the same, industrial unit with a metre or two partitioned off and reception, seating, waiting area, office, staff rooms all squeezed in. Only the vehicles are socially distanced. Have the department and/or franchisees been working on a new work flow layout these last weeks, or just sitting on their hands? Nowhere is reopening without this, but the garages managed it for phase one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As long as there's no penalties for overstaying the 30 days and your insurer realises the exception circumstances (not being able to get an IE plate) it's not a huge deal in my book. It's frustrating I know but there's bigger issues at the moment than paying VRT :pac:

Definitely think the NCT centre (for testing of actual cars) should be opened

• Advertisement

As long as there's no penalties for overstaying the 30 days and your insurer realises the exception circumstances (not being able to get an IE plate) it's not a huge deal in my book. It's frustrating I know but there's bigger issues at the moment than paying VRT :pac:

Definitely think the NCT centre (for testing of actual cars) should be opened

Agreed, that bit could be administered fully online. Drive in, leave car with keys, sit in bus shelter, or some kind of canopy, wait till car reappears.

Advertisement