Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭chalky_ie

Is there any issue with importing more than one car in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Is UK dealer gonna inform UK authority reg export or is he gonna send us registration certificate and we need to inform dvla first and then book to pay VRT at Irish NCT centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

conor-w wrote: »
    Is there any issue with importing more than one car in a year?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SummerK wrote: »
    Is UK dealer gonna inform UK authority reg export or is he gonna send us registration certificate and we need to inform dvla first and then book to pay VRT at Irish NCT centre?

Do not leave the forecourt without the V5 in your hand. the dealer can rip off the permanent export section and submit it to the DVLA or you can do it or neither. The most important thing is you have the original copy of the V5, otherwise you'll need to chase the DVLA for a reprint which is very messy as they do not post to non UK address.

VRT and DVLA are not mutually exclusive, they don't talk to each other so...

book appointment within 7 days of car landing in Ireland, complete the appointment with 30 days with supporting documentation i.e. sales receipt, ferry details / details of how the car got to Ireland (receipt of transportation company etc.) and the form they ask you to fill out on the VRT Website the name eludes me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

Right, as someone here said, the amount of V5 issues lately have been chronic.

So, if I'm going to get a UK registered car, what's the gospel I need to adhere to in relation to the V5 and registering?

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6... Get my Irish reg.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

Cian86 wrote: »

So, if I'm going to get a UK registered car, what's the gospel I need to adhere to in relation to the V5 and registering?

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6... Get my Irish reg.

Thanks!

Oh. Wait. Post before me was up while I was typing.

1. Don't leave the dealer/seller without the V5.
    2. Get the dealer/seller to send the slip to the DVLA informing them the car has been exported.
    3. Standard procedure thereafter with NCT/Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

When enquiring about a car you should explain the situation that your a permanent export customer bringing the car to Ireland and you need the full v5 logbook to register the car here. If they are unaware of the process tell them they should visit gov.uk for guidance.

Ask for the v5 when you arrive and when its in your hand explain the situation again that you need the v5. If they want to send the permanent export slip they can but it doesn’t make any difference.

The garage I bought from knew exactly what to do and said they have sold to lots of Irish customers so it might be a case of you not even having to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Oh. Wait. Post before me was up while I was typing.

1. Don't leave the dealer/seller without the V5.
    2. Get the dealer/seller to send the slip to the DVLA informing them the car has been exported.
    3. Standard procedure thereafter with NCT/Revenue.
    User1998 wrote: »
    When enquiring about a car you should explain the situation that your a permanent export customer bringing the car to Ireland and you need the full v5 logbook to register the car here. If they are unaware of the process tell them they should visit gov.uk for guidance.

Ask for the v5 when you arrive and when its in your hand explain the situation again that you need the v5. If they want to send the permanent export slip they can but it doesn’t make any difference.

The garage I bought from knew exactly what to do and said they have sold to lots of Irish customers so it might be a case of you not even having to mention it.

Yes and by full logbook everybody means the original - not a photocopy! I asked for (and was given) a full logbook but they told me a photocopy would be fine when it isn't. I brought the car over in January and I'm still trying to get it sorted - thankfully Revenue said they'd except a photocopy as an exception because of the times we're living in, still arguing with Insurers though to get it insured until the NCT Centres re-open. So, photocopy is a no no!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6... Get my Irish reg.

Thanks!

1. Get the V5
    2. Get the V5
    3. Get the V5
    4. Get the V5
    5. Get.. the ..V5!
    6. Get your Irish reg

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Quick and easy question (I hope!): Does a car coming in from the UK with an insurance category affect the VRT? For example, a ca rwith a category N status? is there any way of calculating the effect it will have on the VRT estimate?

• Advertisement

Supposedly if you can give photographic evidence of the damage or a history check to prove its been written off you can pay the vrt and then appeal the OMSP they used because its obviously worth a lot less after it being written off

There is a discount scale applied depending on the condition of the car, from pristine to poor. If the car has an obvious ding like a crumpled bonnet or door, expect a discount. If it has been fully repaired, don't. The UK insurance rating will get you quite a discount when you buy. Plenty of traders buy these to sell on, knowing the public here won't be aware of this, unless they run a UK check on the VIN. Remember, write off in insurance speak just means repairs cost more than the market value of the car undamaged, it doesn't always mean unfit for repair

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is that Revenue don't care and won't reduce the VRT just because it was an insurance write off and repaired otherwise cut hoors would be bringing in any UK insurance write off muck they could get their hands on to pay next to nothing in VRT here. You should be already buying it in the UK for a reduced price if it's a previous write off.

Someone posted here before that they appealed and got money back

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

bazz26 wrote: »
    My understanding is that Revenue don't care and won't reduce the VRT just because it was an insurance write off and repaired otherwise cut hoors would be bringing in any UK insurance write off muck they could get their hands on to pay next to nothing in VRT here. You should be already buying it in the UK for a reduced price if it's a previous write off.

But would I not be right in saying that a car with an insurance category here would be worth less than a "clean" car, so therefore considering VRT is based of OMSP, the OMSP should factor in the insurance write off?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

marcos_94 wrote: »
    But would I not be right in saying that a car with an insurance category here would be worth less than a "clean" car, so therefore considering VRT is based of OMSP, the OMSP should factor in the insurance write off?

That's an argument and battle that you would have to bring to and win with Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mags1994

Hi all just in a small predicament hoping to get some advice. I’m a nurse and my car broke down this week so I’m in the market for a new one and I need it basically this week to be able to get to work. Thinking of purchasing from the north and having it delivered down. Only problem is the vrt.

Will I be able to make an appointment for the vrt assessment even though the nct centres are closed? Will I be charged later for not registering vrt straight away? Any help welcome thanks 👋

No you can’t make an appointment and no one seems to know when you will be able to. You may have to pay a small amount of late fees but you will definitely get them back if you appeal it. Just make sure your insurance company will cover you for at least 30 days on the UK reg

Note car is only registered from the date of inspection, road tax only due from that month, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimtox

Please I urgently need to transport my car from London to Dublin so I need a good transport copy or an individual with good reputation. Please assist. Thanks

• Advertisement

jimtox wrote: »
    Please I urgently need to transport my car from London to Dublin so I need a good transport copy or an individual with good reputation. Please assist. Thanks

Eirtrans

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

deezell wrote: »
    There is a discount scale applied depending on the condition of the car, from pristine to poor. If the car has an obvious ding like a crumpled bonnet or door, expect a discount. If it has been fully repaired, don't. The UK insurance rating will get you quite a discount when you buy. Plenty of traders buy these to sell on, knowing the public here won't be aware of this, unless they run a UK check on the VIN. Remember, write off in insurance speak just means repairs cost more than the market value of the car undamaged, it doesn't always mean unfit for repair
    No if you bring in a car that has been categorized as N or S the Irish Insurance Companies will know as they are tied into the Uk System . You will have to have an Engineers report that the car was repaired correctly and there should be no problem . You especially need this if you sell it on as the next Insurance Company will be looking for it when giving Insurance Cover for it .

Not true and that has nothing to do with vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Can we import car with say 5700km on the odo and not pay VAT? Can I drive 300km in Ireland before going to NCT centre or those 300km should be driven in UK before car reaches Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can we import car with say 5700km on the odo and not pay VAT? Can I drive 300km in Ireland before going to NCT centre or those 300km should be driven in UK before car reaches Ireland?

Yes it's what odometer reads on presentation at NCT/VRT office that VRT is calculated on.

I would however say if the sales invoice said 500km on it the week before and the car on inspection for VRT had 6000km they may suspect it was clocked to avoid VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

Take it for a 2.5 hour 'test drive' on the motorway before you sign on the dotted line. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Theknife007

Hi all, I have a UK address although for the last 5 years I have lived in Ireland and will continue to do so. I bought a car over there, 2001 SLK 230Komp, couple of grand and when I looked at the OMSP, it was €49,000 on Revenue with VRT and NOX of €14500 payable. Obvious mistake. But, heres the thing, I have it registered (Log book), taxed, MOT'd and insured in the UK all in my UK address. So, my question is, if I wait till after 6 months ownership, will I be able to get it transferred to Irish plates, without having to pay the VRT. I hold dual citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Theknife007

Mags1994 wrote: »
    Hi all just in a small predicament hoping to get some advice. I’m a nurse and my car broke down this week so I’m in the market for a new one and I need it basically this week to be able to get to work. Thinking of purchasing from the north and having it delivered down. Only problem is the vrt.

Will I be able to make an appointment for the vrt assessment even though the nct centres are closed? Will I be charged later for not registering vrt straight away? Any help welcome thanks ��

Hi Mags, be careful with UK imports at present as although your insurance company may well cover you for 30 days on the UK plate, NCT depots are currently not expected to re-open until August and SIMI are lobbying that when they do, that the first week or so be availed by dealers/trade only. Also, as the UK new car market is vastly down this year, as is the Irish market, UK cars are holding their prices more even with the Covid-19 pandemic. Dealers like myself (Ford Thurles) have been working in the background through lockdown servicing emergency vehicles and have taken advantage of this time to get all of our used stock prepped ready for sale, so in my case, if you were paying cash, you could take delivery within 1 hour or if funding, next day? Cheers, James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hi Mags, be careful with UK imports at present as although your insurance company may well cover you for 30 days on the UK plate, NCT depots are currently not expected to re-open until August and SIMI are lobbying that when they do, that the first week or so be availed by dealers/trade only. Also, as the UK new car market is vastly down this year, as is the Irish market, UK cars are holding their prices more even with the Covid-19 pandemic. Dealers like myself (Ford Thurles) have been working in the background through lockdown servicing emergency vehicles and have taken advantage of this time to get all of our used stock prepped ready for sale, so in my case, if you were paying cash, you could take delivery within 1 hour or if funding, next day? Cheers, James

I have just received confirmation from 123.ie that they will continue to insure my UK Reg car until the NCT centres are open and I can register it. I've been driving it here since January (combination of logbook issues and covid-19 have delayed the registration of the vehicle). But your advice on importing from the UK still stands.. Its always good to be careful and double check everything before going ahead with the deal.

• Advertisement

Hi all, I have a UK address although for the last 5 years I have lived in Ireland and will continue to do so. I bought a car over there, 2001 SLK 230Komp, couple of grand and when I looked at the OMSP, it was €49,000 on Revenue with VRT and NOX of €14500 payable. Obvious mistake. But, heres the thing, I have it registered (Log book), taxed, MOT'd and insured in the UK all in my UK address. So, my question is, if I wait till after 6 months ownership, will I be able to get it transferred to Irish plates, without having to pay the VRT. I hold dual citizenship.

Can we help you defraud Revenue of €14500?
    Shag off.

Advertisement