Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Marcusm wrote: »
    At a minimum, I would infer that the car has to be insured and taxed and not left standing. After all, the relief is to allow you to bring back what you have used overseas, not to anticipate a need after changing residence.

I had to produce proof of car insurance and tax years back when I brought back my car from UK residence

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hi All, I've been asked by Revenue to produce a certificate of conformity for the car. It's a Hyundai I30 (SE NAV T-GDI). Does anyone know where I could get this? The dealers are closed at the moment so I can't ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They usually come from the Distributor. I’d be emailing Hyundai head office in the UK

User1998 wrote: »

Do I really have to pay up to 200€ for it? It seems for some cars it's available online for free, for others not. It's not an unusual car - Hyundai I30 - there are loads on the road so for me it's a strange request.
    L-M wrote: »
    They usually come from the Distributor. I’d be emailing Hyundai head office in the UK

I might try this, but I'm not sure I'll get a response from them these days. I might try phoning the Hyundai garage again. They were closed due to C19 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

CPTM wrote: »
    Hi All, I've been asked by Revenue to produce a certificate of conformity for the car. It's a Hyundai I30 (SE NAV T-GDI). Does anyone know where I could get this? The dealers are closed at the moment so I can't ask them.
    Did you eventually the V5c registration cert for this car? Was there no TYPE APPROVAL number listed on it?

deezell wrote: »
    Did you eventually the V5c registration cert for this car? Was there no TYPE APPROVAL number listed on it?

I have a photocopy of the old V5c but no new v5c yet because everything seems to be frozen in the uk. I can see a Type approval number on it. Revenue said they would review my situation if I send in all documentation to them.

Should I point that Type Approval number out to Revenue?

CPTM wrote: »
    I have a photocopy of the old V5c but no new v5c yet because everything seems to be frozen in the uk. I can see a Type approval number on it. Revenue said they would review my situation if I send in all documentation to them.

Should I point that Type Approval number out to Revenue?

Yes, that's an EU type approval. It's why we don't need CoC certificate, as all cars sold in UK pre 2020 have Eur type approval, implicit on the cert. I'm not sure what happens to newer regs, and those since 2020, but it would be like them to delete any EU numbers from documents, just to show how 'Great' the UK is. Perhaps revenue ignored it because irs a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

Am I missing something here...

Looking at a 2008 Audi A3 in the UK. 2.0 TDI 140ps automatic with 85,000 miles.

NOx emissions are 184mg/km according to Emissions Finder.

Meaning total VRT appears to be, wait for it...

€4,104 😯

Made up of €904 based on CO2 and €3,200 based on NOx.

For context, the car is valued at €3,350.

Again, am I missing something or is that ****e with NOx now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very likely. A 12 year old diesel car is going to have a high NOx rating and tax. The whole idea of the NOx tax is to discourage people from importing these un-environmentally friendly vehicles. Also what the car costs to buy in the UK has no bearing on the NOx charge or VRT figure.

If you want to import a low NOx rated diesel car then you need to be looking at something that is Euro6 compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the idea is to make importing old inefficient diesel cars uneconomic.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

OK. That's the end of that idea then.

Isambard wrote: »
    the idea is to make importing old inefficient diesel cars uneconomic.

They were and are extremely efficient, the 1.9 VAG engines from the noughties could deliver 60mpg, low co2 and hence low VRT and road tax. The problem was with city driving and the diesel particulates and Nox emissions. Diesels were never suitable for sitting in a rush hour tailback, ideal for open road driving and commercial use. You'll notice there's no regard taken for the exact same engines used in vans. No Nox tax on those.
    Ultimately, it was the toxicity of Nox and the desire to cap older imports of higher nox cars while retaining our own stock that led to the Nox charge. It has zero to do with efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Similar to a poster above, I'm currently living in the UK, but planning on moving back to Ireland in the next 18 months, with myself and the wife maybe bringing a couple of cars between us.

I'll be hoping to buy something decent, with diesel a possibility, and avail of the 6 month VRT exemption. Does anyone know whether the exemption covers the Nox levy also?

onrail wrote: »
    Similar to a poster above, I'm currently living in the UK, but planning on moving back to Ireland in the next 18 months, with myself and the wife maybe bringing a couple of cars between us.

I'll be hoping to buy something decent, with diesel a possibility, and avail of the 6 month VRT exemption. Does anyone know whether the exemption covers the Nox levy also?
    Good question. At a guess I'd say yes, it would be inconsistent with the spirit of the exemption otherwise, but..... research required.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

When I paid my VRT and NOx - in February - it was on one bill, so - big assumption here - is it'll be tied to the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah it’s definitely tied into the vrt alright. I think someone else asked this and got told it includes nox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Thanks guys. I hadn't called revenue, but their online info wasn't clear on this.

Living away from Ireland for the last while and not being overly familiar with taxation, is there any reason why I should avoid buying a diesel?

There was an additional used import registration tax introduced at the beginning of the year called a NOx charge which doesn't favor old dirtier diesel cars. This can add potentially a few extra thousand onto the registration tax when importing depending on the car's NOx rating. If buying diesel then you would need to aim for something that is cleaner and Euro 6 compliant, generally from about 2014/2015 onwards. For anything petrol then the max NOx charge you would pay would be €600 max worst case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you never got the logbook after paying VRT and 12 months motor tax, who do you call? Shannon? VRT office?

• Advertisement

Usually it gets issued automatically when you tax the car for the first time. Did you check the status on motortax.ie website? Maybe someone got the address wrong when registering it so it went to the wrong address? I'd imagine first port of call would be there and then Shannon. Revenue would be last depending on what info the other two give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I will contact them so. The address is correct as I received my tax disc.
    Sent an email there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

ELM327 wrote: »
    I will contact them so. The address is correct as I received my tax disc.
    Sent an email there.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/

On the change of ownership section, put the Reg in and it should tell you when the log book was issued, in your case if it was issued then it was lost somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I had a VRT appointment the week before the lockdown, they said they would get back to me with a valuation within a couple of weeks but then the lockdown happened so they never did. Is it safe to assume that they're just not working and they'll get back to me when the lockdown is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

onrail wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I hadn't called revenue, but their online info wasn't clear on this.

Living away from Ireland for the last while and not being overly familiar with taxation, is there any reason why I should avoid buying a diesel?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    There was an additional used import registration tax introduced at the beginning of the year called a NOx charge which doesn't favor old dirtier diesel cars. This can add potentially a few extra thousand onto the registration tax when importing depending on the car's NOx rating. If buying diesel then you would need to aim for something that is cleaner and Euro 6 compliant, generally from about 2014/2015 onwards. For anything petrol then the max NOx charge you would pay would be €600 max worst case.

There is one tax, it is called VRT. Up until 31/12/19, it was calculated based on the CO2 and the assessed OMSP of the car with the CO2 level defining the rate at which the tax was levied. From 1/1/20, there is still a single tax but there are two components to its calculation, the same CO2 element as before plus an additional amount relating to NOx. They now aggregate to form the VRT charge and if you qualify for a Transfer of Residence exemption then it applies to the full VRT charge (ie both CO2 and NOx components).

Just to be clear also, it is not a “used import registration tax”; the tax applies fully to unused cars newly registered in Ireland but the NOx element is small to non existent because of the Euro 6 standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Under current circumstances, Is it possible to buy car from UK without visiting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

SummerK wrote: »
    Under current circumstances, Is it possible to buy car from UK without visiting?

+1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SummerK wrote: »
    If you are happy to buy the car without personal inspection, you can have it transported.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

My friend paid deposit for Toyota Prius hybrid, he did rac comprehensive check as well. Fortunately the report was good. He also got quote from a fellow from Shiply.com agreeing to collect the car from London and deliver here to Dublin. Just wondering if anyone know how to inform vrt officials about booking appointments, since nct centres all closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

Esel wrote: »
    If you are happy to buy the car without personal inspection, you can have it transported.

Any suggestions/recommendations for companies that do it?

I've also been thinking about doing this, but it would feel a bit dodgy to pay (even a dealer) for a car, and ask someone to go pick it up and bring it over.

Advertisement