Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

No as V5 document will have first registration date on it for them to check vehicle age.
    Sorry I was referring to VAT if invoice says mileage 4500 km and odometer says >6000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

SummerK wrote: »
    Sorry I was referring to VAT if invoice says mileage 4500 km and odometer says >6000km.

This was well discussed way back. It's the milage on inspection day. You could have driven the length and breadth of the UK before you arrived in ROI, so invoice milage immaterial, they have no record of milage at point of entry.

Might be a different story if you bought an import off a dealer here and he invoiced at 4.5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

deezell wrote: »
    This was well discussed way back. It's the milage on inspection day. You could have driven the length and breadth of the UK before you arrived in ROI, so invoice milage immaterial, they have no record of milage at point of entry.

VAT is not VRT and it should be the mileage at the point of supply not importation. This is all specified in Tevenue’s VAT manual. In practice, however, reliance is placed on NCTS who don’t apply it properly. This was all dealt with earlier in this thread and the proper rules were shown to the poster who works at NCTS who claimed otherwise. You probably won’t get caught for VAT but it is due.

Marcusm wrote: »
    VAT is not VRT and it should be the mileage at the point of supply not importation. This is all specified in Tevenue’s VAT manual. In practice, however, reliance is placed on NCTS who don’t apply it properly. This was all dealt with earlier in this thread and the proper rules were shown to the poster who works at NCTS who claimed otherwise. You probably won’t get caught for VAT but it is due.

Let's not start that row again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Let's not start that row again!

It’s important that the poster understand what liabilities he is exposed to.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s important that the poster understand what liabilities he is exposed to.
    Ok, then unless revenue insist on inspection on import and placement of imported vehicles in a compound until vat liability is established and paid, it's your word against theirs that the vehicle had more or less than 6k on it. Would they win an action in court when they make no attempt to check milage on entry? Not a chance. The UK dealers invoiced milage is not any kind of official record. It's just a typed number. The NCT' officer's signed off inspection figure is all they have got. Any deviation from this is speculation. The 'poster who works in the NCT' was correct then, and still is.

Thanks for information. It was from a UK dealer and I couldn't buy it as dealer did withdraw as they are not going to get car.
    Finding 530e MSport (non Plus variant) with HK stereo is looking tough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

Hi Guys,

Quick question, what are the best car auctions for buying in?

Can a regular joe soap like myself buy at auctions?

Thanks

Goonup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

goonup wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Quick question, what are the best car auctions for buying in?

Can a regular joe soap like myself buy at auctions?

Thanks

Goonup

BCA car auctions in the UK would be the best.

Anyone can buy from them but the buyers fee would be on the high side for a private buyer.

Still save money though if you do your homework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Would it be totally unreasonable to ask a dealer to transport a car from the North down to Galway at the moment ? If said car was in the €7-8k price bracket ?

Not unreasonable to ask, but maybe would be to expect it for free. I was asked €22 for delivery of a lawnmower head gasket, which would fit inside a birthday card. Now that was unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

mgn wrote: »
    BCA car auctions in the UK would be the best.

Anyone can buy from them but the buyers fee would be on the high side for a private buyer.

Still save money though if you do your homework.

I was under the impression you couldn’t buy unless you had a trade premises. Any chance you could explain the process needed for a private buyer to buy from these guys?

A PM would be great if you wouldn’t mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I was under the impression you couldn’t buy unless you had a trade premises. Any chance you could explain the process needed for a private buyer to buy from these guys?

A PM would be great if you wouldn’t mind.

You either need to go over yourself and bid in person or use a service such as Flipping Cars to bid online for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would advise a private buyer to just stay clear of auctions. It’s a dirty game at the best of times and by the time the fees for a private buyer are added on, its hardly going to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

L-M wrote: »
    I would advise a private buyer to just stay clear of auctions. It’s a dirty game at the best of times and by the time the fees for a private buyer are added on, its hardly going to be worth it.

You would say that wouldn't you, more customers for you.

I don’t see how its a dirty game. Its where almost every used car dealer in the country gets their cars from. If the car is relatively new you will get a mechanical report and a condition report. Lots of money to be saved compared to prices of UK dealers never mind Irish dealers. Most cars are one owner full service history. Agree that private buyers fee’s are mental but they are avoided when using a company to bid on cars for you. Its not for everyone but I’ve got a few good deals and have no horror stories to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i get the impression that many used car dealers actually get their stock from some sort of middleman, don't actually own them and take a commission on their sale. I've no idea if that's true but it does give an idea of the bulk buying competition you would be against at auction.

Isambard wrote: »
    i get the impression that many used car dealers actually get their stock from some sort of middleman, don't actually own them and take a commission on their sale. I've no idea if that's true but it does give an idea of the bulk buying competition you would be against at auction.

Even large UK main dealers buy in trade auction cars, what's more, they buy them on tic. Assuming the used car in the dealer's showroom was a satisfied lifetime customer's pampered trade-in, is at this stage an illusion. If you can find such a car, you will pay a premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

does anyone have an idea when the VRT/Revenue are going to be back had a look on the website and couldn't see a clear answer, i had my vrt check done on the 24th march and was told that they would be in contact with a value and then....., So i have been running around on UK plates since and my insurance company are hassling me over logbook/ownership etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

daddy_boy wrote: »
    does anyone have an idea when the VRT/Revenue are going to be back had a look on the website and couldn't see a clear answer, i had my vrt check done on the 24th march and was told that they would be in contact with a value and then....., So i have been running around on UK plates since and my insurance company are hassling me over logbook/ownership etc..
    Doesn't sound right. You should get onto them, rather than waiting for them to get back to you.

Not your ornery onager

You have to call them and make another booking

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

I am looking at importing 1999 2.0 litre BMW Z3 and its not on the VRT calculator database. I have contacted revenue and there advising to buy the car bring it for inspection and they will quote me a figure. Anyone out there who has cleared a Z3 can guide me with regards a figure. i do not want to purchase till i have an idea of the vrt. Thanks.

Wi
    I am looking at importing 1999 2.0 litre BMW Z3 and its not on the VRT calculator database. I have contacted revenue and there advising to buy the car bring it for inspection and they will quote me a figure. Anyone out there who has cleared a Z3 can guide me with regards a figure. i do not want to purchase till i have an idea of the vrt. Thanks.

Z3 2 litre is the 320 2 door sports E36. Just pop in other details like transmission, milage etc. Nox for these is 92, €600, VRT is €680, so total €1280
    Stat code is 42286136

Is it advisable to buy car from uk store like carshop or car supermarket provided rac report says all ok? and get car shipped to Ireland. Surprising to see these stores having better rating on auto trader compared to some of the main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Has anyone had any luck getting a VRT appointment? Website says they are still closed until further notice, so not taking bookings.
    Phone line goes unanswered. I had a previous appointment that was then cancelled due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭chalky_ie

Anyone know of any imported 981 Cayman S? Looking for some sort of idea on VRT for one.

conor-w wrote: »
    Anyone know of any imported 981 Cayman S? Looking for some sort of idea on VRT for one.

Emissions for this is 180-206 depending on engine size and tune. That's 30% VRT up to 190, 34% after that. If you have an indication of the selling price here for the model and year you seek, this is a good estimate of OMSP. If you have no indication of current price, refer to the new price at the time (say 2013), and estimate a depreciation for 7 years, maybe call a dealer. You will pay 30% or 34% of this price as VRT, and €5/mg Nox, which is 18-30 for this car, so €80-150. If you estimate that a 2013 would sell here for €45k say, and its emissions are 180 or 188, then your base VRT will be €13,500. The price used by revenue to establish current OMSP will be based on a depreciation table assigned to that model, but in absence of any sales data for the year and model in question, you can make a case if you can find recent sales data. I note the high prices asked for 2013 models in the UK, averageing £30K, or €33.5k. Even if the revenue accepted this figure as current OMSP for a 2013 981, you'd be looking at €10-11k VRT, setting you back about €44k for a 2013. Realistically, the OMSP here is probably closer to €40k, so your import cost will be more like €47k again you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭chalky_ie

Emissions for this is 180-206 depending on engine size and tune. That's 30% VRT up to 190, 34% after that. If you have an indication of the selling price here for the model and year you seek, this is a good estimate of OMSP. If you have no indication of current price, refer to the new price at the time (say 2013), and estimate a depreciation for 7 years, maybe call a dealer. You will pay 30% or 34% of this price as VRT, and €5/mg Nox, which is 18-30 for this car, so €80-150. If you estimate that a 2013 would sell here for €45k say, and its emissions are 180 or 188, then your base VRT will be €13,500. The price used by revenue to establish current OMSP will be based on a depreciation table assigned to that model, but in absence of any sales data for the year and model in question, you can make a case if you can find recent sales data. I note the high prices asked for 2013 models in the UK, averageing £30K, or €33.5k. Even if the revenue accepted this figure as current OMSP for a 2013 981, you'd be looking at €10-11k VRT, setting you back about €44k for a 2013. Realistically, the OMSP here is probably closer to €40k, so your import cost will be more like €47k again you're done.

Yeah these are around the numbers I'm coming to myself, I'm just wary of how Revenue would come to their OMSP, given there are none, and have been none for sale for as far as I can remember in Ireland(manual S). I could see a Porsche main dealer claiming they would have it up for 50k, is that who Revenue would go to to get their figure? Seems crazy that you could pay ~30k for a car and then potentially get nearly a 20k VRT figure.

Advertisement