Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

conor-w wrote: »
    Yeah these are around the numbers I'm coming to myself, I'm just wary of how Revenue would come to their OMSP, given there are none, and have been none for sale for as far as I can remember in Ireland(manual S). I could see a Porsche main dealer claiming they would have it up for 50k, is that who Revenue would go to to get their figure? Seems crazy that you could pay ~30k for a car and then potentially get nearly a 20k VRT figure.

Revenue will just take the new list price for the year in question, and apply a depreciation scale. They will most likely apply the scale from other Porsche models close in class, as they should devalue roughly the same. So if you can get those type of figures, say, new list price in 2013, and a depreciation table for Porsche, (theres no examples for any Porsche on the calculator, but plenty of sales evidence for 911 and others). This would establish which scale revenue would use, they have a set of them. Hopefully, it's a high depreciation scale, and that would produce a modest OMSP. Given the UK prices, they may well just refer to them, adding 3% extra VAT and the 30% VRT.
    Looking at what's for sale, very roughly, I see 2018 at 80k and 2008 at 18k. Thats an annual depreciation of just under 14% compound, (13.86%), so if say you want to see its worth in 2013, then apply 5 years compound at -13.86% to €80k, which gives a value of just €38k in 2013. This would seem reasonable for 2013, and would give VRT of €11.4k

Sometimes cars depreciate hugely here, big engined petrol audis and mercs for example, so depreciation for these was often such that they had very low OMSP after 7-8 years, sometimes cheaper than UK cars.

And if the dealer's thought they could pull 50k for a 2013, they would be bringing them in themselves. They obviously don't think they could sell for a profit, hence the lack of stock in the segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭chalky_ie

deezell wrote: »
    And if the dealer's thought they could pull 50k for a 2013, they would be bringing them in themselves. They obviously don't think they could sell for a profit, hence the lack of stock in the segment.

Very good points, nice one! I find it hard to find any info on VRT for Porsches in general, people seem to keep it to themselves if they have brought one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Hi all,

What payment systems are people finding the best solution - I wont be travelling over to the UK and I have revolut, but I've heard that they can limit the amount you can spend in one go or change to sterling?

Which is best out of currencyfair, transfermate and transferwise?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

TripleSSS wrote: »
    Hi all,

What payment systems are people finding the best solution - I wont be travelling over to the UK and I have revolut, but I've heard that they can limit the amount you can spend in one go or change to sterling?

Which is best out of currencyfair, transfermate and transferwise?

Thanks

Upgrade to revolut premium, convert, transfer money and then cancel premium account as you get 14 days to cancel premium account with out any charges (check with revolut as they've recently changed charges).
    If not possible then transfer wise is another option for low cost conversion and transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Would it be totally unreasonable to ask a dealer to transport a car from the North down to Galway at the moment ? If said car was in the €7-8k price bracket ?

Was told not their policy due to "distance selling regulations" .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Interesting - they afraid you’d use your cooling off period?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Interesting - they afraid you’d use your cooling off period?

He did mention some term, was it 4 or 5 months I think he said !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

14 days normally.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    14 days normally.

That's what I thought myself as with smaller goods but pretty sure he said weeks or months. If we choose this car I'll have to travel myself or do a deal online and have it collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

Esel wrote: »
    Doesn't sound right. You should get onto them, rather than waiting for them to get back to you.

Tried ringing them - got the answerphone saying closed ! so nipped round the corner to the nct/vrt centre, as was told come back monday when the VRT "official" will be back from there extended absence and will be able to deal with my query. Just have to wait and see...

LillySV wrote: »

Emissions are not stated on the dvla site, so wouldn't be on the V5, so you can assume 36%VRT, and maximum Nox of €600. This is a Japanese import originally, the nearest equivalent on the VRT calculator is under Japanese imports, a Hoghlux surf. This is the stat code; 43680329
    VRT €863 and Nox €600, total of €1463. You'd want to be getting the thing for less than £3000, even then, it wouldn't make €5000 here, and that with VRT paid. A Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Emissions are not stated on the dvla site, so wouldn't be on the V5, so you can assume 36%VRT, and maximum Nox of €600. This is a Japanese import originally, the nearest equivalent on the VRT calculator is under Japanese imports, a Hoghlux surf. This is the stat code; 43680329
    VRT €863 and Nox €600, total of €1463. You'd want to be getting the thing for less than £3000, even then, it wouldn't make €5000 here, and that with VRT paid. A Turkey.

Thanks for that ... yea abit on expensive side once cleared ....and then probably a fortune to tax each year

I have a love of the sound of 6 and eight cylinder engines and that ticks that box... loved the Prado and fortunas from my time traveling in Vietnam and Thailand ...this is more or less the same

Thanks for that ... yea abit on expensive side once cleared ....and then probably a fortune to tax each year
    €1809 per year.

But that would be €2305 on emissions in the absence of co2. 2008 was the last year for engine c.c. based road tax.

But that would be €2305 on emissions in the absence of co2. 2008 was the last year for engine c.c. based road tax.

That’s what I’m worrying about .. July 08 so probably be screwed on yearly tax... I’d accept that tax If was an aventador or 911, not for a 2008 Jeep though! Haha

Thanks a mill for that , much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Some Vrt centres are opening Monday. Appointments can only be made online. If you can't see availability, it means there are no appointments available.

Do not call in without a booking.

And for the love of God, if you do get a booking, make sure the paperwork is right because its an immediate re-book no matter how many items of paperwork are missing. The amount who show up missing items is painful, in the vast majority of cases it's a standard import with the basic documents and people still manage to miss stuff.

That’s what I’m worrying about .. July 08 so probably be screwed on yearly tax...

This would be a great buy. Classic tax, €33 a year
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2558932

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Hi,
    I’ve put a deposit on a car in the north and I haven’t quite figured out the logistics yet so looking for some advice.
    I’ll be selling my Skoda rapid 142 privately so first issue is insurance. I transfer the policy on the day I go up to collect the new car, where does that leave me with the rapid and giving test drives to people looking to buy?
    Mot is out on the new car, obviously I’ll have to get it through an nct and do the vrt but does anyone know how that is working at the moment?

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

michellie wrote: »
    Some Vrt centres are opening Monday. Appointments can only be made online. If you can't see availability, it means there are no appointments available.

Do not call in without a booking.

And for the love of God, if you do get a booking, make sure the paperwork is right because its an immediate re-book no matter how many items of paperwork are missing. The amount who show up missing items is painful, in the vast majority of cases it's a standard import with the basic documents and people still manage to miss stuff.

What happens if there is no VRT center open in your county or within the 20k limit and you go over the 30 day limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

mgn wrote: »
    What happens if there is no VRT center open in your county or within the 20k limit and you go over the 30 day limit.

When was it imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

michellie wrote: »
    When was it imported?

23th of May.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’ve put a deposit on a car in the north and I haven’t quite figured out the logistics yet so looking for some advice.
    I’ll be selling my Skoda rapid 142 privately so first issue is insurance. I transfer the policy on the day I go up to collect the new car, where does that leave me with the rapid and giving test drives to people looking to buy?
    Mot is out on the new car, obviously I’ll have to get it through an nct and do the vrt but does anyone know how that is working at the moment?

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Assuming your'e buying a car that needs an NCT, currently there is a 4 month extension in place, so a car registered after 1st March 2016 say, will not be due an NCT until after 1st July 2020. Add 4 years and 4 months to the reg date of the car you are buying.
    Depending on your insurer, it is easy to flip insurance temporarily, with Aviva you can pop it on the new car, then switch back online for a day or half day while selling. Otherwise park up the new until the old is sold. Get yours on the market straight away, it can be a while before you get serious interest, unless you price it keenly.

.....I have a love of the sound of 6 and eight cylinder engines and that ticks that box... loved the Prado and fortunas from my time traveling in Vietnam and Thailand ...this is more or less the same
    I get that. I'm driving a 6 pot A6 Quattro myself, but it's diesel, doesn't count, though it has its own buzz. I still miss my previous Tfsi.
    I recall driving my son's venerable Nissan Maxima 6 pot in Oz in 2013, very nice, and rated one of the best petrol engines of all time. Heres one going on Adverts
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-qx-maxima-3-0-v6-unique/24563461

This would be a great buy. Classic tax, €33 a year

Seen that alright..only prob With that Is the storage area is separate ... I’m actually looking for something to transport my spoilt dog in as have baby on way so her spot on the back seat will be getting taken away! Haha

Seen that alright..only prob With that Is the storage area is separate ... I’m actually looking for something to transport my spoilt dog in as have baby on way so her spot on the back seat will be getting taken away! Haha

This might tick the dog box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Assuming your'e buying a car that needs an NCT, currently there is a 4 month extension in place, so a car registered after 1st March 2016 say, will not be due an NCT until after 1st July 2020. Add 4 years and 4 months to the reg date of the car you are buying.
    Depending on your insurer, it is easy to flip insurance temporarily, with Aviva you can pop it on the new car, then switch back online for a day or half day while selling. Otherwise park up the new until the old is sold. Get yours on the market straight away, it can be a while before you get serious interest, unless you price it keenly.

That’s great, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I'm sure its been asked before but when I go to VRT appointment what is the best way to pay the TAX. It will be around 3,500 for me. Would a debit card work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

epopnomis wrote: »
    I'm sure its been asked before but when I go to VRT appointment what is the best way to pay the TAX. It will be around 3,500 for me. Would a debit card work?

From the FAQs - https://www.ncts.ie/1155

The NCT Centre will also collect the VRT charge (and other tax liabilities) on behalf of Revenue. You can pay this charge either by

Bank Draft or postal order (made payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)
    Cash (up to a limit of €250)
    Debit Card
    Credit Card excluding American Express
    Company cheque with TAN numbers only (to a limit of €10,000 payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)

Advertisement