Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

All mink in Denmark have to be culled as they are spreading the virus. And we have a big place with a lot of them in kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 85,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

That's cat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That's cat

As in 'bad?' It seems bad. I've heard the phrase 'cat melodion' meaning 'raining cats and dogs' and not good, but 'that's cat' is a new one.

46 is high, yah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Again, presumably the carry-over from the nursing home.

LEA update:

Listowel 96 (-86) 334.8 per 100,000
    Corca Dhuibhne <5 (At least -4) N/A
    Castleisland 22 (-3) 128.3 per 100,000
    Tralee 73 (-32) 221 per 100,000
    Killarney 35 (-33) 118 per 100,000
    Kenmare 23 (-2) 91 per 100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The horse racing was allowed go ahead, that’s the main thing anyway.
    And fair play to the committee that decided it, they somehow managed to do it and have the town deserted for the week at the same time as well.

You are getting tiresome at this stage.

We should have banned the tourist season throughout Kerry if this was the case.

Killarney was full of Dubs when there was no virus in Kerry but it was rising in Dublin. Ditto Dingle.

There was a dramatic rise in Kenmare around the same time as Listowel. And in Ballyjamesduff. Funny I have never heard of the Kenmare Racing Festival or the Ballyjamesduff carnival of racing.

NPHETs PR has certainly worked with you anyway, blaming stuff like the GAA or horse racing and managing to ignore the elephant in the room which are colleges and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

BPKS wrote: »

NPHETs PR has certainly worked with you anyway, blaming stuff like the GAA or horse racing and managing to ignore the elephant in the room which are colleges and schools.

I think the risk factor is people traveling from many different areas to go to the event.

With a school people tend to travel from the surrounding area, meaning the risk of inter county infection is low.

A large function of the lockdown is to reduce the average distance people travel, as well as to reduce the number of people they interact with.

Elephant/mouse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Up to 20 today, presumably most were from the Oaklands Nursing Home in Listowel, that was mentioned on Radio Kerry news:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/57997-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-wednesday-4-november/#cases-by-county

Any connection from the Listowel races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any connection from the Listowel races?

That was way over a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭conrad9900

Anyone have the numbers in Listowel today?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I think the risk factor is people traveling from many different areas to go to the event.

With a school people tend to travel from the surrounding area, meaning the risk of inter county infection is low.

A large function of the lockdown is to reduce the average distance people travel, as well as to reduce the number of people they interact with.

Elephant/mouse ?

Of course.

But like I said the elephant in the room was the colleges opening. From the middle of September, people aged 18-22 for towns all over Kerry went to Limerick, Cork, Galway etc. and congregated with people from all over the country during the week. Then they came home at weekends to their parents, brothers and sisters in primary and secondary school, sports teams, other friends from home and that was a major reason why the virus spread.

Just look at Northern Ireland and see the pattern there.

One of the reasons they allowed the pubs to open in September was in an attempt to be able to blame the pubs for the spread of the virus. Seems to have worked with some people.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Pubs did contribute to the spread of the virus. Just like all other indoor settings where people congregate.

As a society, we value education very highly, ergo the risk in the virus spreading in educational facilities is an acceptable risk.

To balance that risk and bring the overall risk down to a level that gets us to R < 1, we close off various risky non-essential activities. Hence the shut down of the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

People spread the Covid virus .NOT schools ,colleges,pubs,race meetings etc.Most transmissions are in private homes.
    Wash your hands,sanitize regularily,obey cough and sneeze etiquette,keep your distance and wear your mask.
    should be OK if you follow this advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

BPKS wrote: »
    Of course.

But like I said the elephant in the room was the colleges opening. From the middle of September, people aged 18-22 for towns all over Kerry went to Limerick, Cork, Galway etc. and congregated with people from all over the country during the week. Then they came home at weekends to their parents, brothers and sisters in primary and secondary school, sports teams, other friends from home and that was a major reason why the virus spread.

Just look at Northern Ireland and see the pattern there.

One of the reasons they allowed the pubs to open in September was in an attempt to be able to blame the pubs for the spread of the virus. Seems to have worked with some people.

Sweet Lord above in heaven.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Back down to 10 cases today, all things being equal now:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1324770983887147008

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sweet Lord above in heaven.

Wash your hands.

And 23 today, so any hopes that cases would settle down at a lower level will have to wait for now:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1325122200920317953

9 is more respectable, but 14 counties with <5 cases today:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1325852033581244421

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

9 is more respectable, but 14 counties with <5 cases today:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1325852033581244421

At least its going in the right direction ?

17 today, but the incidence rate remains unchanged:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1326582178361335811

I see the issue of the huge amount of cases of the virus in Listowel got a write up in the Kerryman today.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

No clear update on Kerry cases today, as it only shows changes, rather than today's numbers:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0ef0b-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-12-november/#cases-by-county

LEA numbers to follow this evening.

Listowel has actually increased since last week, but a big drop in Tralee:

Listowel 116 (+20) 404.5 per 100,000
    Corca Dhuibhne <5 (N/A) N/A per 100,000
    Tralee 27 (-46) 81.7 per 100,000
    Castleisland 13 (-9) 75.8 per 100,000
    Killarney 31 (-4) 104.7 per 100,000
    Kenmare 18 (-5) 71.8 per 100,000

0015ad53-614.jpg?ratio=1.03

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The 404.5 per 100,000 for Listowel seems to be one of the highest in Ireland - and west Limerick (Newcastlewest LEA) isn't very far behind at 331.9

{Buncrana LEA has a rate of 536.5 - quite a bit higher again than either Listowel or Newcastlewest - thanks to toffee dave for pointing it out}

All info is available at https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

lottpaul wrote: »
    The 404.5 per 100,000 for Listowel seems to be the highest in Ireland - and west Limerick (Newcastlewest LEA) isn't very far behind at 331.9

Considering there is only 20 miles between the two places it's not really surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 toffee dave

lottpaul wrote: »
    The 404.5 per 100,000 for Listowel seems to be the highest in Ireland - and west Limerick (Newcastlewest LEA) isn't very far behind at 331.9

I think Buncranna is still above 500.

Advertisement