Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

phormium wrote: »
    Is the big increase in Tralee numbers due to any obvious cluster? Don't want names and addresses :) but just curious as to whether it is spreading from something particular or just more random groups.

Communions two weeks ago. Lots of parties...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

One doesn’t have to be Einstein to know what group are responsible for a sizeable amount of the cases in listowel and Tralee .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭phormium

Interesting! Actually that just reminds me I was in a petrol station in Tralee couple of weeks ago and a big white stretch car of some sort came in, I assumed it was a communion gang, I remember thinking not much distancing inside there!

phormium wrote: »
    Interesting! Actually that just reminds me I was in a petrol station in Tralee couple of weeks ago and a big white stretch car of some sort came in, I assumed it was a communion gang, I remember thinking not much distancing inside there!

I predicted this spike when I heard about some of the parties being planned. Gazebos, bouncy castles and the usual refreshments for the adults attending. It's pure speculation on my part, but the rise in Listowel corresponded to communion in that town. People just aren't getting the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I predicted this spike when I heard about some of the parties being planned. Gazebos, bouncy castles and the usual refreshments for the adults attending. It's pure speculation on my part, but the rise in Listowel corresponded to communion in that town. People just aren't getting the message.

I predicted the Horse Racing Festival being allowed to go ahead was a disaster waiting to happen and was an open invitation to the virus.

Communions happened all over the country without a corresponding rise in cases.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I predicted the Horse Racing Festival being allowed to go ahead was a disaster waiting to happen and was an open invitation to the virus.

That's incorrect and silly talk. Communion parties along with other parties are a big part of the problem in Donegal and Cavan. Any get together that involves household gatherings (have done) and will spread the virus. All you need is one person that attended a horse racing festival or another communion gathering to attend said parties and you have a super spread.

Any gathering with multiple households will cause a rise in cases. Communion, bar mitzvah, Pagan gathering, Amrit.. the virus knows no religion. Have a party for whatever reason, you're taking a big risk, acting irresponsibly, and endangering the vulnerable in your society and will be responsible for a further rise on C-19 in Kerry.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's incorrect and silly talk. Communion parties along with other parties are a big part of the problem in Donegal and Cavan. Any get together that involves household gatherings (have done) and will spread the virus. All you need is one person that attended a horse racing festival or another communion gathering to attend said parties and you have a super spread.

Any gathering with multiple households will cause a rise in cases. Communion, bar mitzvah, Pagan gathering, Amrit.. the virus knows no religion. Have a party for whatever reason, you're taking a big risk, acting irresponsibly, and endangering the vulnerable in your society and will be responsible for a further rise on C-19 in Kerry.

I fully understand how it can be spread, to blame communions for the spread in Listowel after that little isolated town went ahead and hosted visitors from all the most infected parts of the country when it was practically Covid free is what is silly talk.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I fully understand how it can be spread, to blame communions for the spread in Listowel after that little isolated town went ahead and hosted visitors from all the most infected parts of the country when it was practically Covid free is what is silly talk.

I wonder how many cases escalated from the Jumbos fiasco, where I think a couple of employees allegedly knew that they were Covid positive, yet didn't tell the owner, and carried on working in the place? A lot of people cross the thresholds of popular fast food places.

Any parties or gatherings spread the virus.

To say communions were held all over the country without a rise in cases is wrong. You should refrain from saying things like this, silly people listen to silly talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It’s a certain demographic of this country that hold ridiculous extravagant parties in marquees etc with large extended families with loads of cousins that created spikes in a number of towns. . The vast vast majority of joe soaps had very low key small family gatherings and were fine .
    It’s just like everything else in Ireland there’s one law for the law abiding and one group of Irish people do whatever suits them .

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It’s a certain demographic of this country that hold ridiculous extravagant parties in marquees etc with large extended families with loads of cousins that created spikes in a number of towns. . The vast vast majority of joe soaps had very low key small family gatherings and were fine .
    It’s just like everything else in Ireland there’s one law for the law abiding and one group of Irish people do whatever suits them .
    NO family gatherings without social distancing were safe.

LuasSimon wrote: »

The vast majority had family gatherings? No wonder it spread like wildfire.

Any parties or gatherings spread the virus.

To say communions were held all over the country without a rise in cases is wrong. You should refrain from saying things like this, silly people listen to silly talk.

It's very wrong John, and I never said it.

In fact I said the complete opposite after witnessing the scenes outside Kenmare church a few weeks ago, go back and check my posts.

I also pointed out well before Listowel Races were held that it was a ridiculous decision to allow them to go ahead simply because the regular visitors had their accommodation booked since the previous festival.

A committee decided the races would go ahead, but the crowds that were booked in for the week would not be able to watch them at the track.

The visitors came from far and wide and partied around the town, a couple of weeks later the town that had less than 5 cases up until then was riddled in Covid 19.

Two weeks after the races the isolated little town had become one of the worst hit districts on the western seaboard with 63 positive cases.

Now if you think that's just a coincidence John, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Silly people listen to silly talk and other people look at facts and statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

fact is the town was deserted for race week , any other talk is bull**** .
    I was there , I saw it , there was hardly anyone around race week .

kerry cow wrote: »
    fact is the town was deserted for race week , any other talk is bull**** .
    I was there , I saw it , there was hardly anyone around race week .

We can agree to disagree on that because I don't accept that the influx of people to the town somehow caused the town to be deserted.

Ok Rows. You never said it.
    It's very wrong John, and I never said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

the listowel communion problem was, that our distant cousins had close cousin around for the party .

I hope you understand , or maybe I need Trump to explain it to you .

Ok Rows. You never said it.

The rate of Covid 19 infections did not rise in any other town that held communions at a similar (or anywhere near the) rate to Listowel.

The rate of Covid 19 infections did not rise in any other town that held communions at a similar (or anywhere near the) rate to Listowel.

I don't know how you're going to prove that Rows but anyone will tell you that multiple gatherings throughout the entire country will have a bigger affect than one gathering in Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »

That's a shame, it was going the right way there for a while.

That's a shame, it was going the right way there for a while.

When I saw that the figure was down for the entire country, I was hopeful, but then the Kerry figure appeared, and that was that :(

And 18 today.

And 18 today.

Well, that's a move in the right direction. I know it's Monday but let's hope this is the start of a downward trend for Kerry.

I wonder is it a case of the test results coming back in delayed batches for Kerry, there doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern or trend lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I wonder is it a case of the test results coming back in delayed batches for Kerry, there doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern or trend lately.

Could probably say the same for everywhere. We really need to look at this on a weekly basis at least as there be any one of a myriad of reasons for an especially high or low number on any given day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I was tested Thursday morning in Tralee and had test result back by 6pm Friday. Negative thank god.

Advertisement