Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Conditions only last 12 months then one would be under a new contract from the new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Conditions only last 12 months then one would be under a new contract from the new company.

Really that's outrages. Do you have a choice in if you go or stay or made redundant. I was U drr the impression they kept all T&C as old job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Here we go wrote: »
    Really that's outrages. Do you have a choice in if you go or stay or made redundant. I was U drr the impression they kept all T&C as old job

Nobody as is has to leave but they if marked in will lose their marked in status and only keep their shift times for a few months.

Honestly I don't know of any that actually moved across from db as it would be a terrible idea to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Not true

The law covers the employee here

The new company has to employ the employee under the same terms and conditions for the rest of their working life.

That's in the law under tupe. I heard what you heard too from older drivers and unions etc and it's bull**** scaremongering is all that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

Go-Ahead were on "How to live better for longer" on RTE this evening demonstrating training for disability awareness. interesting to see the suit they get drivers to try on to simulate effects of disabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Here we go wrote: »

Your impression is correct in essence,however just as there is no 12 month limit,neither is there an absolute guarantee regarding T's & C's of employment.

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/publications_forms/guide_to_ec_protection_of_employees_on_transfer_of_undertakings_regulations.pdf
    6. Protection of Employment All the rights and obligations of an employer under a contract of employment (including terms inserted by collective agreements) other than pension rights (see 6 Paragraph 7 below), existing on the date of transfer, are transferred to the new employer on the transfer of the business or part thereof. The new employer must continue to observe the terms and conditions of the collective agreement until it expires or is replaced.

Collective bargaining is the accepted method or varying employment T's & C's in Irish IR terms,so GAI who have a substantial Group HR & IR machine backing them up,are well capable of negotiating such variations with employees....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Not true

The law covers the employee here

The new company has to employ the employee under the same terms and conditions for the rest of their working life.

That's in the law under tupe. I heard what you heard too from older drivers and unions etc and it's bull**** scaremongering is all that is.

If that is the case, why are all the pre 96 tesco staff threatening to strike.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-long-service-contracts-2568420-Jan2016/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If that is the case, why are all the pre 96 tesco staff threatening to strike.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-long-service-contracts-2568420-Jan2016/

They didn't threaten, they did, that article is nearly three years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The pre 96ers in tesco were on such good contracts compared to the new staff that tesco paid a fortune in redundancy to get rid of them. They didn’t just put them onto new contracts there were were years of negotiations on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I see they put a Streetlite on the 63 today. I wonder will this become a regular occurrence especially now that the schools are off as this route tends to only be busy during the school term. First time seeing a Streetlite on the 63.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I see they put a Streetlite on the 63 today. I wonder will this become a regular occurrence especially now that the schools are off as this route tends to only be busy during the school term. First time seeing a Streetlite on the 63.

I seen one on the 175 around half 5 in the evening on Tuesday on the Old Bawn Road heading towards Citywest full to the brim, I wouldnt imagine it was a comfy journey for anyone travelling from UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Driver absences can sometimes result in buses ending up parked in the wrong place (i.e. still in Ballymount when they should be in Dún Laoghaire and vice-versa). It was probably the only bus available in Dún Laoghaire at the time. I can't see it becoming a regular occurrence, as a lot of regular 63/75 drivers wouldn't touch a Streetlite.

Driver absences can sometimes result in buses ending up parked in the wrong place (i.e. still in Ballymount when they should be in Dún Laoghaire and vice-versa). It was probably the only bus available in Dún Laoghaire at the time. I can't see it becoming a regular occurrence, as a lot of regular 63/75 drivers wouldn't touch a Streetlite.

Had a look on the GAI Twitter page and they said that the 102 was being run by double deckers due to the concerts in Malahide Castle could be something to do with that I wonder? Although I wouldn't see why there were Streetlites parked up in DL as all the DL routes apart from the 111 which doesn't terminate in DL are operated by double deckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

75 heading down the n11 towards Tallaght being run by a streetlite. Packed

Had a look on the GAI Twitter page and they said that the 102 was being run by double deckers due to the concerts in Malahide Castle could be something to do with that I wonder? Although I wouldn't see why there were Streetlites parked up in DL as all the DL routes apart from the 111 which doesn't terminate in DL are operated by double deckers.

If a duty isn't covered, a bus can easily end up parked on Harbour Rd for the day. It happens with the 111 occasionally. Alternatively, there could just have been a lack of double-deckers in Ballymount when the driver was starting his/her shift and they agreed to take one of those heaps instead of running late or not running at all.

If a duty isn't covered, a bus can easily end up parked on Harbour Rd for the day. It happens with the 111 occasionally. Alternatively, there could just have been a lack of double-deckers in Ballymount when the driver was starting his/her shift and they agreed to take one of those heaps instead of running late or not running at all.

I would've thought drivers don't a choice of what bus to drive and must drive whatever they've been assigned for the day.

I would've thought drivers don't a choice of what bus to drive and must drive whatever they've been assigned for the day.

You can reject a bus on safety grounds. Some drivers (especially on the DL rotas) have never driven them in service before. Given how much they differ from other buses, that alone would be a solid reason for refusing to drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are GAI allowed to do anything relating to gay pride this year? I have seen nothing about it being mentioned on their website or social media. DB have done some effort this year to provide a new livery for 2 buses & are giving away tickets for people who want to go on the open-top pride bus with Panti & a DJ at this year's parade.

Have GAI sorted anything out yet about commercial banner adverts going on their buses? Is their a significant delay being brought about presumably because of lack of interest from various companies dealing the NTA? They are still all ad-free throughout all of their fleet to date for over 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Muller1991 wrote: »
    I seen one on the 175 around half 5 in the evening on Tuesday on the Old Bawn Road heading towards Citywest full to the brim, I wouldnt imagine it was a comfy journey for anyone travelling from UCD.

I also saw one of those Streetlites on the 114 today in Blackrock trying turn awkwardly right from the main street down to the terminus at the DART station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Streetlite on the 76a in Ballyfermot around 5pm too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Are GAI allowed to do anything relating to gay pride this year?

That would be GAI pride.

They took deckers from a few routes and swopped then with the singles from 102 route fir the concert

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Are GAI allowed to do anything relating to gay pride this year? I have seen nothing about it being mentioned on their website or social media. DB have done some effort this year to provide a new livery for 2 buses & are giving away tickets for people who want to go on the open-top pride bus with Panti & a DJ at this year's parade.

Have GAI sorted anything out yet about commercial banner adverts going on their buses? Is their a significant delay being brought about presumably because of lack of interest from various companies dealing the NTA? They are still all ad-free throughout all of their fleet to date for over 9 months.

For starters they are nta buses so they can't wrap them like Dublin bus..the advertising is nta's baby..gai wanted to put there own advertising on them but were told no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Publicly funded services should not be involved in political campaigns.

As they don't own any of their buses, they'd need permission from the NTA. It's tedious enough to get permission from them to do the simplest things (like allocating a double-decker to a single-decker route), so Pride would probably be long over by the time they get anyone to make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

ax586 wrote: »
    For starters they are nta buses so they can't wrap them like Dublin bus..the advertising is nta's baby..gai wanted to put there own advertising on them but were told no

I know it's not really clear what the situation is with GAI buses and ads but I don't get why the NTA don't just put some in house ads like Leap/Taxsaver/Bus connects (or what's left of it) on them in the meantime until something is sorted. They look threadbare with no ads and next to no logos on most sides/ends of the bus.

What's even odder is that the NTA have recently taken out some BC ads on DB buses, why don't they put them on their own GAI buses?

john boye wrote: »
    I know it's not really clear what the situation is with GAI buses and ads but I don't get why the NTA don't just put some in house ads like Leap/Taxsaver/Bus connects (or what's left of it) on them in the meantime until something is sorted. They look threadbare with no ads and next to no logos on most sides/ends of the bus.

What's even odder is that the NTA have recently taken out some BC ads on DB buses, why don't they put them on their own GAI buses?

I'd guess they can't spare to remove busses from service to have the adds put on them there stretched as they are now never mind removing a bus each day to wrap or poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

You can reject a bus on safety grounds. Some drivers (especially on the DL rotas) have never driven them in service before. Given how much they differ from other buses, that alone would be a solid reason for refusing to drive one.

Indeed, a driver must "type sign" for each individual type of bus before they are permitted drive them on their own, this includes basic training on each type and being traveled with by an inspector for a short journey.

This is standard practice and always seems to cause problems (particularly with BE) when new stock is introduced and not everyone is trained on them quick enough.

How is it a political campaign?

john boye wrote: »

Unfortunately it isn't that simply, in today's world of EU procurement rules it still requires a tender, in-house or external it is still advertisement which involves a financial burden, that requires a tender, award of tender, printing, fitting and related matters all provided for under the terms of the tender, the same way Exterion run advertising services for the CIE companies and JCDecaux manage the LUAS on behalf of TII.

The real question is why it has not been tendered yet?

I've heard that when the current CIE contract with Exterion expires the NTA are putting out a tender for advertising for all the buses that they own including GAI, DB and BE could be for all DB and BE or just the ones the NTA or it could for the entire DB and BE fleet I'm not quite sure. So this could be the reason why no ads are on GAI buses yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is there anywhere to see the actual full listing of stops/complete route or a map of the Go Ahead routes? I am looking for the 17 and can only see a list of major/key stops but not the detailed route:
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/services/17?date=2019-06-22&direction=outbound

Thanks!

Is there anywhere to see the actual full listing of stops/complete route or a map of the Go Ahead routes? I am looking for the 17 and can only see a list of major/key stops but not the detailed route:

Thanks!

The old timetable which was very nicely printed had it but that's gone now and replaced by a more generic looking one since it was updated last week. Have to say though neither timetable is the most user friendly especially the fact it's a PDF.

Thanks!

Download the tfi journey planner app type in the route you want DB BE or GAI it will give you a list of stops and in line section a map of the route and each stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The old timetable which was very nicely printed had it but that's gone now and replaced by a more generic looking one since it was updated last week. Have to say though neither timetable is the most user friendly especially the fact it's a PDF.

Thanks - I was sure I had seen a detailed one a few months back when the route first changed - good to know I was not imagining it!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I think pride is counterproductive dated nonsense that promotes stereotypes and does way more damage than good, but it's not a partisan political event or advocating policies, it's a social event that (in theory if not in practice) promotes equality and civil rights, since there isn't a single political party that disagrees with that agenda it's not a political event.

Someone not liking something does not make it political.

I don't like the ''wokewashing'' pandering bs all these brands are doing wrapping themselves in rainbow flags (many of which companies donate, in other jurisdictions, to viciously anti gay politicians and referendum campaigns), but it's not political.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

I know GAI have had problems keeping their driving staff but looking at their website I see them constantly advertising for supervisors and controllers, even now they are looking for an Operation Manager.

There are a few staff here from GAI, so can they tell me, do GAI not look to promote drivers to Supervisor roles ? Has the current Operation manager high tailed it or moved elsewhere in the company ? why the high turnover in these positions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Drivers are generally treated like crap, and not just with regards to pay, you will get one or two on here to defend the company but as you say the fact that they are constantly looking for drivers speaks volumes. Drivers on Bray routes have no option but to use a chipper opposite the dart station for breaks and this is acceptable in the eyes of management. With regards promoting drivers, if they need a supervisor/controller etc next new recruit has a better chance of getting it, the depot supervisors there some have zero experience within the industry and got the job upon starting in GA. They had one good experienced supervisor and surprise surprise he left just like most other experienced drivers have. The only drivers that think its an ok job are usually on their first driving position so have nothing to compare it to. Anyone who has been a driver suddenly realised their last employer was not so bad after all. They even seem to be having trouble recruiting for the BE routes they are getting.

soundman45 wrote: »
    Drivers are generally treated like crap, and not just with regards to pay, you will get one or two on here to defend the company but as you say the fact that they are constantly looking for drivers speaks volumes. Drivers on Bray routes have no option but to use a chipper opposite the dart station for breaks and this is acceptable in the eyes of management. With regards promoting drivers, if they need a supervisor/controller etc next new recruit has a better chance of getting it, the depot supervisors there some have zero experience within the industry and got the job upon starting in GA. They had one good experienced supervisor and surprise surprise he left just like most other experienced drivers have. The only drivers that think its an ok job are usually on their first driving position so have nothing to compare it to. Anyone who has been a driver suddenly realised their last employer was not so bad after all. They even seem to be having trouble recruiting for the BE routes they are getting.

Have you worked for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Have you worked for them?

My sister's boyfriend does. He's on the way out. Going through a health check with Dublin bus now I believe.

He was planning on building up experience before moving out. But it seems the organisation there is a bit of a shambles. So he wants out sooner.
    LastStop wrote: »
    I know GAI have had problems keeping their driving staff but looking at their website I see them constantly advertising for supervisors and controllers, even now they are looking for an Operation Manager.

There are a few staff here from GAI, so can they tell me, do GAI not look to promote drivers to Supervisor roles ? Has the current Operation manager high tailed it or moved elsewhere in the company ? why the high turnover in these positions ?

The issue they have with promoting from their driver pool into a supervisor role, is a large amount of them dont have professional experiences as drivers.

I'd say they'll get more drivers looking to join when DB are finished recruiting at the end of the month. When they were first recruiting they didn't seem to have such a problem as DB weren't recruiting at that time. These drivers will likely then look to leave when DB start recruiting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd say that depends on what Dublin coach will do on that airport service they trademarked (or got?) recently.

• Advertisement

No, I did go for it but declined, some other drivers I knew from previous jobs did work for them and all have since left. General feedback is yes its a shambles, drivers hate working mixed routes, you have no say on which roster you are put on, they string you along if you ask for time off and refuse you at the last minute, drivers are left behind at end of shifts sometimes by fellow drivers that do not wait to bring them back to the depot claiming ( I did not know I had to wait ), the feedback I got was nobody knows what they are at junior management level, just all muddling through it hoping it will somehow work out, of 4 guys I knew working there one left after 3 days, longest lastest 3 months then just rang in and said goodbye im finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

No, I did go for it but declined, some other drivers I knew from previous jobs did work for them and all have since left. General feedback is yes its a shambles, drivers hate working mixed routes, you have no say on which roster you are put on, they string you along if you ask for time off and refuse you at the last minute, drivers are left behind at end of shifts sometimes by fellow drivers that do not wait to bring them back to the depot claiming ( I did not know I had to wait ), the feedback I got was nobody knows what they are at junior management level, just all muddling through it hoping it will somehow work out, of 4 guys I knew working there one left after 3 days, longest lastest 3 months then just rang in and said goodbye im finished.

I have several ex colleagues who work there. There are rota's which just do one route and others which are mixed. You are not correct when you say drivers get no choice. There are waiting lists for driver preference to move between rotas which drivers prefer.

175 and 17a are single route rota, what other routes are??

The only drivers that think its an ok job are usually on their first driving position so have nothing to compare it to. Anyone who has been a driver suddenly realised their last employer was not so bad after all.

I've worked for them for almost a year now, and while it's my first driving job, I have plenty of other jobs to compare it to. And it's the easiest one I've ever had, tbh. The routes I drive are all very easy, the buses are all new or nearly new, supervisors/controllers leave me alone to get on with the job, the vast majority of passengers are perfectly pleasant, and I've never had any issues with management. And to cap it all off, my weekly pay is going up by €50 from next week, with the introduction of a daily tax-free subsistence allowance. :)
    soundman45 wrote:
    General feedback is yes its a shambles, drivers hate working mixed routes, you have no say on which roster you are put on, they string you along if you ask for time off and refuse you at the last minute, drivers are left behind at end of shifts sometimes by fellow drivers that do not wait to bring them back to the depot claiming ( I did not know I had to wait )

Personally, I'd prefer to be on the one route all day, but a lot of drivers actually like the variety of working mixed routes. As for my roster - I asked to be put on it and they put me on it. If I wanted to change to a different one, there are some that I could go straight onto and others which I'd have to go on a waiting list for. I don't know where you heard that drivers have no say, but it's incorrect. I've never had any problem getting time off or swapping shifts with other drivers. The only time I was ever left behind at the end of a shift, all it took was a quick phone call to control and they had a car out to me in 20 minutes. Mildly annoying, but not the end of the world.
    soundman45 wrote:
    of 4 guys I knew working there one left after 3 days, longest lastest 3 months then just rang in and said goodbye im finished.

Tbh, that says more about your friends than it does about the company.

I'd say they'll get more drivers looking to join when DB are finished recruiting at the end of the month. When they were first recruiting they didn't seem to have such a problem as DB weren't recruiting at that time. These drivers will likely then look to leave when DB start recruiting.

It may be worth noting that Bus Atha Cliath's recruitment campaign is open until

31st August 2019.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Human-Resources/Professional-Bus-Drivers/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It may be worth noting that Bus Atha Cliath's recruitment campaign is open until

31st August 2019.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Human-Resources/Professional-Bus-Drivers/

Are they struggling to get drivers or what's the story. The current recruitment campaign was meant to end in January then March then June now August

Are they struggling to get drivers or what's the story. The current recruitment campaign was meant to end in January then March then June now August

Yup, it's not just Go Ahead who are struggling to find enough drivers. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann are too. As are lots of smaller private operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I love how people come on here and speak with authority on a subject they have zero first hand experience of!

I note the recruitment part of the website no says the drivers wage is "up to €40,000". It used to say €32,000. Has there been a wage increase to stave of the exodus to Dublin Bus?

Yup, it's not just Go Ahead who are struggling to find enough drivers. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann are too. As are lots of smaller private operators.

Thought they had most of GAIs workforce queuing up to join :D

There is no "story" as such,no conspiracy,little excitement,just administration...endless admin....;)
    Different companies within any given sectors will always have different recruitment & selection policies,and Public Transport is no different.
    In addition,larger,long established companies will have continuous wastage via Promotion,Retirement,Resignation,Death in Service scenarios,and this before any expansion is taken into account.
    There is nothing unusual or untoward about extending such campaigns,particularly in the current "Full Employment" scenario.

Virtually All Bus & Coach operators are actively seeking Drivers,with much of the industry traditionally being demand responsive and,as a result,focusing on seasonal Tour opportunities,often offering the potential of high "gratuity based" earnings,with the resultant slack-period during winter,when Drivers would return to "other work" and reality.

There is without doubt,a serious shortage of qualified Drivers,both in Truck and Coach & Bus sectors,some of which,can be laid at the high age of entry requirements to accquire a D class licence.
    In the 21st Century,21(CPC Holder) & 24,are waaay too old in terms of attracting somebody into making Bus or Coach Driving a full time Career.

Imagining a scenario whereby companies are slugging it out in order to recruit individual staff,may well be the stuff of tabloid intrigue,but the reality is far more mundane and boring.

Theres plenty of stuff available on the wider topic of Commercial and Bus Driver shortages and the really serious issue of the rapidly increasing Age profile in the industry..... :)

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/06/why-wont-anyone-drive-the-bus/563555/

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2018/06/transit_age/afd34af58.png

https://www.thejournal.ie/aircoach-driver-recruitment-2-4172644-Aug2018/

https://www.logisticsmanager.com/uk-driver-shortage-growing-at-50-a-day/

One other Incredibly important element gets a mention here......

https://fleet.ie/truck-driving-in-crisis-due-to-health-problems-and-recruitment-crisis/

Levels of injury and ill-health are incredibly high for the transportation and storage sector (which includes lorry drivers). The latest figures from the HSE record that 52,000 workers suffered from a work related illness and 39,000 had reported a non-fatal injury. The most common form of workplace injury was musculoskeletal accounting for 53 per cent of cases, this was followed by cases of stress, depression and anxiety which are 29 per cent of cases.

New entrants to the sector need to be aware of the full-picture,and employers,regulators and administrative agencies need to get real with elements such as Shift Work,Toilet Facilities and Family Friendly working arrangements...IF the likes of the NTA and the Government Departments involved,do not recognise the issues,then the outlook will continue to look uncertain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement