Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Conditions only last 12 months then one would be under a new contract from the new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Conditions only last 12 months then one would be under a new contract from the new company.

Really that's outrages. Do you have a choice in if you go or stay or made redundant. I was U drr the impression they kept all T&C as old job

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Here we go wrote: »
    Really that's outrages. Do you have a choice in if you go or stay or made redundant. I was U drr the impression they kept all T&C as old job

Nobody as is has to leave but they if marked in will lose their marked in status and only keep their shift times for a few months.

Honestly I don't know of any that actually moved across from db as it would be a terrible idea to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Not true

The law covers the employee here

The new company has to employ the employee under the same terms and conditions for the rest of their working life.

That's in the law under tupe. I heard what you heard too from older drivers and unions etc and it's bull**** scaremongering is all that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

Go-Ahead were on "How to live better for longer" on RTE this evening demonstrating training for disability awareness. interesting to see the suit they get drivers to try on to simulate effects of disabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Here we go wrote: »

Your impression is correct in essence,however just as there is no 12 month limit,neither is there an absolute guarantee regarding T's & C's of employment.

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/publications_forms/guide_to_ec_protection_of_employees_on_transfer_of_undertakings_regulations.pdf
    6. Protection of Employment All the rights and obligations of an employer under a contract of employment (including terms inserted by collective agreements) other than pension rights (see 6 Paragraph 7 below), existing on the date of transfer, are transferred to the new employer on the transfer of the business or part thereof. The new employer must continue to observe the terms and conditions of the collective agreement until it expires or is replaced.

Collective bargaining is the accepted method or varying employment T's & C's in Irish IR terms,so GAI who have a substantial Group HR & IR machine backing them up,are well capable of negotiating such variations with employees....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Not true

The law covers the employee here

The new company has to employ the employee under the same terms and conditions for the rest of their working life.

That's in the law under tupe. I heard what you heard too from older drivers and unions etc and it's bull**** scaremongering is all that is.

If that is the case, why are all the pre 96 tesco staff threatening to strike.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-long-service-contracts-2568420-Jan2016/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If that is the case, why are all the pre 96 tesco staff threatening to strike.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-long-service-contracts-2568420-Jan2016/

They didn't threaten, they did, that article is nearly three years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The pre 96ers in tesco were on such good contracts compared to the new staff that tesco paid a fortune in redundancy to get rid of them. They didn’t just put them onto new contracts there were were years of negotiations on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I see they put a Streetlite on the 63 today. I wonder will this become a regular occurrence especially now that the schools are off as this route tends to only be busy during the school term. First time seeing a Streetlite on the 63.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I see they put a Streetlite on the 63 today. I wonder will this become a regular occurrence especially now that the schools are off as this route tends to only be busy during the school term. First time seeing a Streetlite on the 63.

I seen one on the 175 around half 5 in the evening on Tuesday on the Old Bawn Road heading towards Citywest full to the brim, I wouldnt imagine it was a comfy journey for anyone travelling from UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Driver absences can sometimes result in buses ending up parked in the wrong place (i.e. still in Ballymount when they should be in Dún Laoghaire and vice-versa). It was probably the only bus available in Dún Laoghaire at the time. I can't see it becoming a regular occurrence, as a lot of regular 63/75 drivers wouldn't touch a Streetlite.

Driver absences can sometimes result in buses ending up parked in the wrong place (i.e. still in Ballymount when they should be in Dún Laoghaire and vice-versa). It was probably the only bus available in Dún Laoghaire at the time. I can't see it becoming a regular occurrence, as a lot of regular 63/75 drivers wouldn't touch a Streetlite.

Had a look on the GAI Twitter page and they said that the 102 was being run by double deckers due to the concerts in Malahide Castle could be something to do with that I wonder? Although I wouldn't see why there were Streetlites parked up in DL as all the DL routes apart from the 111 which doesn't terminate in DL are operated by double deckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

75 heading down the n11 towards Tallaght being run by a streetlite. Packed

Had a look on the GAI Twitter page and they said that the 102 was being run by double deckers due to the concerts in Malahide Castle could be something to do with that I wonder? Although I wouldn't see why there were Streetlites parked up in DL as all the DL routes apart from the 111 which doesn't terminate in DL are operated by double deckers.

If a duty isn't covered, a bus can easily end up parked on Harbour Rd for the day. It happens with the 111 occasionally. Alternatively, there could just have been a lack of double-deckers in Ballymount when the driver was starting his/her shift and they agreed to take one of those heaps instead of running late or not running at all.

If a duty isn't covered, a bus can easily end up parked on Harbour Rd for the day. It happens with the 111 occasionally. Alternatively, there could just have been a lack of double-deckers in Ballymount when the driver was starting his/her shift and they agreed to take one of those heaps instead of running late or not running at all.

I would've thought drivers don't a choice of what bus to drive and must drive whatever they've been assigned for the day.

I would've thought drivers don't a choice of what bus to drive and must drive whatever they've been assigned for the day.

You can reject a bus on safety grounds. Some drivers (especially on the DL rotas) have never driven them in service before. Given how much they differ from other buses, that alone would be a solid reason for refusing to drive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are GAI allowed to do anything relating to gay pride this year? I have seen nothing about it being mentioned on their website or social media. DB have done some effort this year to provide a new livery for 2 buses & are giving away tickets for people who want to go on the open-top pride bus with Panti & a DJ at this year's parade.

Have GAI sorted anything out yet about commercial banner adverts going on their buses? Is their a significant delay being brought about presumably because of lack of interest from various companies dealing the NTA? They are still all ad-free throughout all of their fleet to date for over 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Muller1991 wrote: »
    I seen one on the 175 around half 5 in the evening on Tuesday on the Old Bawn Road heading towards Citywest full to the brim, I wouldnt imagine it was a comfy journey for anyone travelling from UCD.

I also saw one of those Streetlites on the 114 today in Blackrock trying turn awkwardly right from the main street down to the terminus at the DART station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Streetlite on the 76a in Ballyfermot around 5pm too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Are GAI allowed to do anything relating to gay pride this year?

That would be GAI pride.

They took deckers from a few routes and swopped then with the singles from 102 route fir the concert

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Are GAI allowed to do anything relating to gay pride this year? I have seen nothing about it being mentioned on their website or social media. DB have done some effort this year to provide a new livery for 2 buses & are giving away tickets for people who want to go on the open-top pride bus with Panti & a DJ at this year's parade.

Have GAI sorted anything out yet about commercial banner adverts going on their buses? Is their a significant delay being brought about presumably because of lack of interest from various companies dealing the NTA? They are still all ad-free throughout all of their fleet to date for over 9 months.

For starters they are nta buses so they can't wrap them like Dublin bus..the advertising is nta's baby..gai wanted to put there own advertising on them but were told no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Publicly funded services should not be involved in political campaigns.

As they don't own any of their buses, they'd need permission from the NTA. It's tedious enough to get permission from them to do the simplest things (like allocating a double-decker to a single-decker route), so Pride would probably be long over by the time they get anyone to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

ax586 wrote: »
    For starters they are nta buses so they can't wrap them like Dublin bus..the advertising is nta's baby..gai wanted to put there own advertising on them but were told no

I know it's not really clear what the situation is with GAI buses and ads but I don't get why the NTA don't just put some in house ads like Leap/Taxsaver/Bus connects (or what's left of it) on them in the meantime until something is sorted. They look threadbare with no ads and next to no logos on most sides/ends of the bus.

What's even odder is that the NTA have recently taken out some BC ads on DB buses, why don't they put them on their own GAI buses?

john boye wrote: »
    I know it's not really clear what the situation is with GAI buses and ads but I don't get why the NTA don't just put some in house ads like Leap/Taxsaver/Bus connects (or what's left of it) on them in the meantime until something is sorted. They look threadbare with no ads and next to no logos on most sides/ends of the bus.

What's even odder is that the NTA have recently taken out some BC ads on DB buses, why don't they put them on their own GAI buses?

I'd guess they can't spare to remove busses from service to have the adds put on them there stretched as they are now never mind removing a bus each day to wrap or poster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You can reject a bus on safety grounds. Some drivers (especially on the DL rotas) have never driven them in service before. Given how much they differ from other buses, that alone would be a solid reason for refusing to drive one.

Indeed, a driver must "type sign" for each individual type of bus before they are permitted drive them on their own, this includes basic training on each type and being traveled with by an inspector for a short journey.

This is standard practice and always seems to cause problems (particularly with BE) when new stock is introduced and not everyone is trained on them quick enough.

Publicly funded services should not be involved in political campaigns.

How is it a political campaign?

john boye wrote: »

Unfortunately it isn't that simply, in today's world of EU procurement rules it still requires a tender, in-house or external it is still advertisement which involves a financial burden, that requires a tender, award of tender, printing, fitting and related matters all provided for under the terms of the tender, the same way Exterion run advertising services for the CIE companies and JCDecaux manage the LUAS on behalf of TII.

The real question is why it has not been tendered yet?

I've heard that when the current CIE contract with Exterion expires the NTA are putting out a tender for advertising for all the buses that they own including GAI, DB and BE could be for all DB and BE or just the ones the NTA or it could for the entire DB and BE fleet I'm not quite sure. So this could be the reason why no ads are on GAI buses yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is there anywhere to see the actual full listing of stops/complete route or a map of the Go Ahead routes? I am looking for the 17 and can only see a list of major/key stops but not the detailed route:
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/services/17?date=2019-06-22&direction=outbound

Thanks!

Advertisement