Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Still no sign of RTPI working on Go-Ahead services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The whole switchover should have been absolutely seamless for the end user. It seems to have been anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So there was huge delays on 75, 45a etc yesterday.

People waiting 70 minutes and no show on which is now a 20 minute service, 45a was also lost up at loughlinstown hospital roundabout heading towards Bray.

They need to look at better driver training.

Someone was on Twitter this morning asking what their policy is on use of mobile phones also. Driver was using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Someone was on Twitter this morning asking what their policy is on use of mobile phones also. Driver was using it.

I don't think they'd have much of a policy considering it's illegal in every sense.

Qrt wrote: »
    I don't think they'd have much of a policy considering it's illegal in every sense.

I understand that, just stating that's what passenger asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

I think they have made a big mistake in using so many new drivers. They have no experience driving a bus, no experience dealing with customers, ticketing etc, some do not seem to even be fimiliar with the city. I was on a 45a yesterday in fairness the driver was grand he must have done it before but one guy asked him was the route changed as the previous bus driver (45a) told him he didnt serve bray. Now im happy to accept drivers need to bed in but I think having such a high percentage of raw new drivers was a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

soundman45 wrote: »
    I think they have made a big mistake in using so many new drivers. They have no experience driving a bus, no experience dealing with customers, ticketing etc, some do not seem to even be fimiliar with the city. I was on a 45a yesterday in fairness the driver was grand he must have done it before but one guy asked him was the route changed as the previous bus driver (45a) told him he didnt serve bray. Now im happy to accept drivers need to bed in but I think having such a high percentage of raw new drivers was a bad move.

They will learn quick. And we will see a high number leaving after a few months as well.

Its stressful as hell at the start , even with an established company with supports in place. GoAhead drivers dont even have that, and it seems to be a case of "the blind leading the blind". I dont envy them. especially not for the money they are on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

soundman45 wrote: »

I recall hearing the wages on offer, being lower than what drivers would get where they are currently working. So why would anyone give up their job to move across, to do the same work for less?

Route familiarity will develop with time. I grew up and live in Dublin, I'm unfamiliar with 70% of it, because I've never had to go there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I recall hearing the wages on offer, being lower than what drivers would get where they are currently working. So why would anyone give up their job to move across, to do the same work for less?

Route familiarity will develop with time. I grew up and live in Dublin, I'm unfamiliar with 70% of it, because I've never had to go there.

I believe that drivers could transfer across while keeping their current terms and conditions for a year, at which point they could be renegotiated, but not be any worse than what they currently have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CatInABox wrote: »
    I believe that drivers could transfer across while keeping their current terms and conditions for a year, at which point they could be renegotiated, but not be any worse than what they currently have.

That's only if drivers were required to transfer over, as opposed to seeking work elsewhere. Drivers weren't required to transfer with the routes, as DB were going to get increased frequency on remaining services, so they'd be looking for drivers after releasing drivers. Didn't make sense to have 2 operators doing a major recruitment program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

63 & 75 now showing on the TFI Real Time App. I'm not familiar with the other GAI routes, those are the ones I'm interested in.

Is there a map of the new 75 route available anywhere? I can see the list of stops but would like to see a map to understand the new routing in Dundrum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

coylemj wrote: »
    Is there a map of the new 75 route available anywhere? I can see the list of stops but would like to see a map to understand the new routing in Dundrum.

https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop&language=en

A lot of the problems seem to relate to the 75. I wonder is it due to the riddiculous decision to start running it via Dundrum Village whoever in the NTA has no experience of using 75. Riddiculous move. I would hope common sense prevails and the route switches back to it's old routing going past Dundrum Garda Station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Maybe for customers, but it's an important thing for bus drivers to do route training. To know the route and know the local area or streets.

What have they been doing to prepare for this information and these types of normal questions? Driving in circles in Ballymount? Was this sort of knowledge and preparedness in the tender...

dfx- wrote: »
    What have they been doing to prepare for this information and these types of normal questions? Driving in circles in Ballymount? Was this sort of knowledge and preparedness in the tender...

Go-Ahead buses have been out for the last couple of months doing route training. I've seen a good few out and about around South Dublin. Do people here seriously believe no DB driver has ever taken a wrong turn. Back in 2001 a brand new AV was made an open top bus while on diversion during the St.Patricks Day Parade.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    A lot of the problems seem to relate to the 75. I wonder is it due to the riddiculous decision to start running it via Dundrum Village whoever in the NTA has no experience of using 75. Riddiculous move. I would hope common sense prevails and the route switches back to it's old routing going past Dundrum Garda Station.

+1 that new detour reminds me of the loop the 46A used to do past Stillorgan shopping centre - it was convenient for a few people but a PITA for everyone else. The greater good was well served by cutting it out.

I have stood on the hill beside Dundrum College on many occasions waiting for the 75 and the arrival time was always way after what was predicted on RTPI. Adding that loop around Dundrum will make it worse.

dfx- wrote: »

Go-Ahead buses have been out for the last couple of months doing route training. I've seen a good few out and about around South Dublin. Do people here seriously believe no DB driver has ever taken a wrong turn. Back in 2001 a brand new AV was made an open top bus while on diversion during the St.Patricks Day Parade.

I've also been offered a free fare on Dublin Bus to show driver a route in the past when the driver recognised me from another route and can recall two or three more occasions where a driver asked passengers for directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A driver in Bray once forgot he was driving a double decker and drove under the bridge beside the bus depot (out of service, thankfully). It was no longer a double decker by the time he was finished with it anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got on the 17 one morning and the driver had never been on the route and did not even know the endpoint. I directed him for the first half, and pointed him in the general direction. It was at 630am so few enough on the bus but I was so tempted to get him to drop me home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I wonder how much time is being added by this diversion during peak times. I doubt that passengers appreciate the detour and hopefully they will press for the previous direct routeing to be reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

devnull wrote: »
    I've also been offered a free fare on Dublin Bus to show driver a route in the past when the driver recognised me from another route and can recall two or three more occasions where a driver asked passengers for directions.

Yup. I drove for DB for a few years. I was given route training on some routes but not all of them. When sent out on a route I didn't know I was simply told "you'll know it when you get back" :rolleyes:

I had to do the same, ask a passenger to show me. I also took wrong turns on a few occasions. Driving routes that both go the same way but then branch into different area's, you sometimes forget which route your actually driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Most likely a driver who got the duty off the bench.
    I doubt that they had been route training for months and not know the route.
    It's 5 different routes for **** sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aw139

The Nta made the new timetables..drivers covering 59 ..45A ..75..63 on one duty board..so If the driver is late due to traffic coming to dun Laoirghre to start a 63 or 63A over to kilternan and back to dun Laoirghre and then is late for a 75 or 75a .. also drivers pushed to sign off routes in route training ..the routes or some of ..should be all on there own rota like db. But gai have the 45A 59 63 63A 75 75A all on one Rota and duties so it's a mixed bag of a disaster . and then driver changes in dun Laoirghre ..probably late break and waiting for a bus that is late to do a change over for their 2nd half....ps very little time for toilet breaks .

Where are they breaking in fun Laoghaire...

As in facilities

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I doubt that they had been route training for months and not know the route.
    It's 5 different routes for **** sake!!

Usually training consists of a driving the route once out of service with instruction that is what I believe is standard practice is most bus companies. They have been out training various different drivers on different routes over that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

This is great to see but these are not new services. Was there a similar leaflet produced for the 14, 61 and 120 timetable changes last weekend?

I risk sounding pedantic, but the amount of different timetable styles is becoming very confusing. We now have the TFI leaflet/PDF format, the Go-Ahead web format, the old Dublin Bus style, the journey planner/a-b style, and the new on street format produced for multi operator stops. Each of them are read in a different way, some have different descriptions of destinations and route details, and some are missing key information. It’s really not great for passengers.

KD345 wrote: »
    This is great to see but these are not new services. Was there a similar leaflet produced for the 14, 61 and 120 timetable changes last weekend?

I risk sounding pedantic, but the amount of different timetable styles is becoming very confusing. We now have the TFI leaflet/PDF format, the Go-Ahead web format, the old Dublin Bus style, the journey planner/a-b style, and the new on street format produced for multi operator stops. Each of them are read in a different way, some have different descriptions of destinations and route details, and some are missing key information. It’s really not great for passengers.

Agreed I also noticed timetables have now gone up at some of the stops with the new extended timetable turntable boards. These are also of a different style to the ones along the 175 similar to the ones that can be seen on the TFI website. I assume these are temporary in nature while stop specific timetables are being published.

• Advertisement

Agreed I also noticed timetables have now gone up at some of the stops with the new extended timetable turntable boards. These are also of a different style to the ones along the 175 similar to the ones that can be seen on the TFI website. I assume these are temporary in nature while stop specific timetables are being published.

Do you have pictures? They really should be using the same ones that went for the new stops for the 175 for the new services, since these are the best ones.

Advertisement