Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hooter23 wrote: »
    In the sun and out of the wind its as good as any of the warmer days we have had...

Not here. Wind is absolutely baltic + you cant escape it. If sun wasnt there it would be as cold as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Currently only 9 degrees here + dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

appledrop wrote: »
    Not here. Wind is absolutely baltic + you cant escape it. If sun wasnt there it would be as cold as yesterday.

Likewise it’s beautiful sitting in the sun inside but once you go out you’d be retreating fairly lively.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Currently only 9 degrees here + dropping.

They will certainly drop quite a bit by the early morning. Temperatures sub-zero widely across the country tonight with a hard frost, getting down to -2C in places.

15-580UK.GIF?11-12

A few more frosty nights to come too. You could almost say this will be a more frosty week than we saw at any stage during Winter 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Does anyone know how the sun works when it comes to your skin - if I were to lay outside in 10c or whatever it is now, would I get the same colour as if I was lying in the 19c on Saturday?
    I mean it should be the same right, as the sun is equally as strong because of the time of the year?

The answer is yes if anyone's interested. Sat out for about 90 mins earlier and now I look properly sunkissed, and I don't burn easy. The sun feels just as warm as last week except the wind is chilly so it's grand out of the wind if you can find a spot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    They will certainly drop quite a bit by the early morning. Temperatures sub-zero widely across the country tonight with a hard frost, getting down to -2C in places.

15-580UK.GIF?11-12

A few more frosty nights to come too. You could almost say this will be a more frosty week than we saw at any stage during Winter 2019.

That's a very noticeable UHI effect around London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The answer is yes if anyone's interested. Sat out for about 90 mins earlier and now I look properly sunkissed, and I don't burn easy. The sun feels just as warm as last week except the wind is chilly so it's grand out of the wind if you can find a spot :D

It would be slightly more intense than last saturday given we are closer to the solstice. The air temperature has no effect on the sun's strength.

One of the reasons I am not too annoyed by the low air temperatures this week is because if the sun is out, it will feel warm. Provided the wind is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stunning evening in Dublin, no wind even at the seafront, and not a cloud in the sky, beautiful sunset too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely still evening in Kerry, cooling down now to 8.3C, got down to 1.2C last night, would expect around the same if not lower tonight.

Pic: Short time ago looking towards Brandon Pt.

DPHPCKt.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Lovely still evening in Kerry, cooling down now to 8.3C, got down to 1.2C last night, would expect around the same if not lower tonight.

Pic: Short time ago looking towards Brandon Pt.

DPHPCKt.jpg?1

I got 0.7C this morning at 7am in North Kerry.

Currently 5.9C

Where's the photo taken.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mullingar currently reporting -3c (at 0600).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Seriously has there ever been a drier spring than this?? Looks like dry weather for the foreseeable future too. 42mm of rain in Dublin since 1st March, that is unbelievable, heading towards 3 months

Matt Damon In Dalkey since early March must be thinking what is all this nonsense about rainy Ireland??? Probably been drier than most of USA the past few months

DOCARCH wrote: »

Holy cow, didn’t know that was even possible in May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Min here in Arklow was o.7c at 645am
    Frost all night
    Its reached 9.3c already in brilliant sunshine

This ^^

Came home from work yesterday, blue skies and sunshine, found a sheltered spot at the garden wall and got 2 hours of glorious warm sun!
    Went out this morning and it’s the same , while the air is cool the sun is warm especially in sheltered spots , thank God Sunday’s strong breeze is gone.

Ground is so dry on the East coast it’s cracking , been watering plants and seedlings for weeks now. Farmers probably aren’t happy as crops in fields are quite slow so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dipped down to -0.5c in Kildare last night. Wind much lighter this morning thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

This ^^

Came home from work yesterday, blue skies and sunshine, found a sheltered spot at the garden wall and got 2 hours of glorious warm sun!
    Went out this morning and it’s the same , while the air is cool the sun is warm especially in sheltered spots , thank God Sunday’s strong breeze is gone.

Ground is so dry on the East coast it’s cracking , been watering plants and seedlings for weeks now. Farmers probably aren’t happy as crops in fields are quite slow so far.

And the same in North Kildare. I've created a new garden, specifically to keep any sort of a breeze from the north or East away from it. I was sunbathing at lunchtime yesterday in blazing UV index of 6 sunshine in completely calm conditions whilst listening to the strong breeze in the large hedges and trees above me. I've a lot of dark surfaces (mainly wood bark) in this garden and they heat up very quickly in the strong May sunshine. This, combined with very little air movement helps the air temperatures rise a bit more than surrounding areas.

Apart from a lot of flora, I've also got a pond. This too absorbs the heat from the sun during the day and keeps the air temperatures up. Conversely, in the winter it is in the shade all of the time due to its placement. This means that during the winter it often freezes over and can stay frozen for days, if not weeks, due to lack of wind and sunshine. So in winter the pond can ensure that the garden is kept colder than surrounding areas.

Aren't microclimates just wonderful!

I have noticed here in Dublin the soil is cracking, I recall seeing that during the great warm summer in 2018. Unusual to see that at this time of year with the lack of rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »

A new record for May.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1260145341514596353?s=21

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    And the same in North Kildare. I've created a new garden, specifically to keep any sort of a breeze from the north or East away from it. I was sunbathing at lunchtime yesterday in blazing UV index of 6 sunshine in completely calm conditions whilst listening to the strong breeze in the large hedges and trees above me. I've a lot of dark surfaces (mainly wood bark) in this garden and they heat up very quickly in the strong May sunshine. This, combined with very little air movement helps the air temperatures rise a bit more than surrounding areas.

Apart from a lot of flora, I've also got a pond. This too absorbs the heat from the sun during the day and keeps the air temperatures up. Conversely, in the winter it is in the shade all of the time due to its placement. This means that during the winter it often freezes over and can stay frozen for days, if not weeks, due to lack of wind and sunshine. So in winter the pond can ensure that the garden is kept colder than surrounding areas.

Aren't microclimates just wonderful!

That sounds amazing ! I’m halfway there , the sun moves around my garden all day so I’ve created some nice sheltered spots too with high bushes and shrubs for shelter or the garden wall. I’m a few kilometers from the beach so definitely need shelter from Easterly breezes.

A little pond or even water feature is next, I think my visiting birds would like some bird baths !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

sryanbruen wrote: »

What other stations have changed over the years do you know sryanbruen?

I understand DA moved to a much colder location in recent years. While looking at recent temps it seems like Markree Castle did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 12 degrees today in cork city and sunny :D. In the part of my garden with little wind it is very warm, bit of a suntrap. Other part of the garden is a bit chillier with the wind but bearable. Soaking up the vitamin D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Freezing here with full cloud cover after a morning of blue skies.
    It was warmer yesterday in the breeze with true blue skies.
    Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Kutebride wrote: »
    Freezing here with full cloud cover after a morning of blue skies.
    It was warmer yesterday in the breeze with true blue skies.
    Meath

yep today is more of a repeat of Sunday, totally cloudy and chilly, the wind isn't as strong as Sunday so it doesn't feel quite as bitter. Still cold enough for full winter gear.

compsys wrote: »
    What other stations have changed over the years do you know sryanbruen?

I understand DA moved to a much colder location in recent years. While looking at recent temps it seems like Markree Castle did too.

Why does Kilkenny not have a weather station. It is always in contention to be the warmest spot in Ireland because of its location. I think the all time heat record was measured there but it’s not there anymore, very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Why does Kilkenny not have a weather station. It is always in contention to be the warmest spot in Ireland because of its location. I think the all time heat record was measured there but it’s not there anymore, very odd

The stupid council allowed the area around the Met station to be build up so it was too urbanised.

Kilkenny is indeed a great weather location between the high hills around the edge of the county and the low inland area of the county.

Oak Park replaced it but it does not have the same characteristics as a location to get record warmth or very cold temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

yep today is more of a repeat of Sunday, totally cloudy and chilly, the wind isn't as strong as Sunday so it doesn't feel quite as bitter. Still cold enough for full winter gear.

No shorts Gonzo😬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sunny down here in Arklow all day after a very frosty start
    Cold though
    But no wind so felt a lot better
    Max today also warmer that yesterday here 11.7c
    Thats almost 3c higher than yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

highdef wrote: »
    And the same in North Kildare. I've created a new garden, specifically to keep any sort of a breeze from the north or East away from it.

Funny I've been working on exactly the same thing albeit shelter from the SW clockwise to NE as east wind is warm here in the summer months. The wind has been annoying me throughout the past couple of months but should finally have a proper sheltered area to sit out in by next weekend

Advertisement