Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I got 0.7C this morning at 7am in North Kerry.

Currently 5.9C

Where's the photo taken.?

Picture taken from Banna Beach which is between Ardfert and Ballyheigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Hopefully Saturday is a nice day,sadly my wee girls communion was meant to be then,it is what it is same for many over the country i suppose,so a family BBQ would be great for the wee one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Hopefully lengthy dry spells at some point during spring, we deserve it after the February we just had!

Well, ask and you shall receive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s still disappointingly cool here today. Big improvement on this morning which was cold and cloudy as the sun has broken though. Once the sun goes in though there quite a sting in the air. Hopefully sun wins through for the afternoon but I’ve my doubts looking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Sunny but 8.5c and breezy in Dublin 5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we had a very chilly morning here, the wind was strong enough as well which made it feel even colder. Sun is back out now and the wind has died down a bit so it doesn't feel as bad as earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its Northern Norway, but close to the middle of May they must be p1ssed

https://twitter.com/gionninanni/status/1260303081000112129

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

At 0.7c, yesterday's average minima over Ireland was the coldest mid (11th-20th) May average minima in at least 45 years. However, it is not a record breaker when considering May as a whole. For example, the opening days of May 1979 saw the average min temp falling to below zero between the 2nd and 4th.

Just after watching 'Gav's Weather Vids' there and it seems there are hints that we may see a major warm up during the last 3rd of the month, so despite this brief chilly snap, it is all but certain now that this May still finish well above average temperature wise.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful cloudless day in Donegal again but that incessant cold wind just won't f*#& off, my single biggest complaint throughout the past 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Beautiful cloudless day in Donegal again but that incessant cold wind just won't f*#& off, my single biggest complaint throughout the past 2 months

It's been the same in the East if it's any consolation. Endless blue skies but the temperature has only gotten above 15 or 16 degrees on around 4 or 5 days max in Dublin I'd say due to the sea breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Very cool nights but bright and sunny by day. Weather has been a Godsend during this time. Really hope we get a decent summer - even early on to give people a lift while restrictions continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What a beautiful evening here in Castlebar. Clear blue skies all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Mostly cloudy in Galway cleared up from about 6 oclock onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Same in Cork, cleared up from about 2/3 and is now mostly blue sky. Chilly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stunning evening in Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Glorious day if you were inside looking out! :) Cutting wind

The outlook is nuts bar some rain likely on the weekend in the western/northern flanks it's going to be dry as far as can be plausibly seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Temperature plummeting in North kildare. Already below 3c. Contrasts with this afternoon when I fell asleep while sunbathing in the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely evening in cork city. Blue skies and a really nice sunset. Chilly at first when starting to walk but once walking for a bit was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Currently 6.1 here. Clear skies, lovely sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

Maybe this has been covered already but....
    Why have we had wind from the East for 4 or 5 weeks now.

I'd really love to know the cause, and is it normal.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

R

Basically because Mother Nature loves to piss us all off and gives us ideal winter conditions coming into Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

R

Not normal at all for that duration.

Real drought weather building fast.

Moisture is being stripped off the ground at a concerning rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

R

There’s always a higher chance of easterly winds at this time of year because the polar vortex has weakened, allowing high pressure to build north of Ireland dragging in winds from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Lovely colour lingered in the sky well after sunset this evening to bring a nice conclusion to the day.
    It has been a good spell for some beautiful evening skies in the west for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm 13/5/20

Dublin Airport 0 degrees
    Phoenix Park 2 degrees
    Oak Park 2 degrees
    Dunsany 2 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Frost on the roof of the car already in carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

Some seriouly cold temps for May again last night. I hope everyone had their spuds covered : /

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The bluest sky I've seen in a very long time, fabulous morning West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    What other stations have changed over the years do you know sryanbruen?

I understand DA moved to a much colder location in recent years. While looking at recent temps it seems like Markree Castle did too.

Shannon Airport is another one I'm aware of that was moved around 2003. Can't think of any other off the top of my head.

Katesbridge in Northern Ireland recorded -6.1C this morning, its lowest May temperature on record and lowest in N.I. for May since 1982. Keep in mind, Katesbridge is a big frost hollow.

Looks like the Mullingar -3.2C from Tuesday morning is the lowest we have gotten. This makes it the lowest May temperature at a synoptic station since 2012 when Casement observed -3.6C on 6 May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

esposito wrote: »
    There’s always a higher chance of easterly winds at this time of year because the polar vortex has weakened, allowing high pressure to build north of Ireland dragging in winds from the east.

@esposito @Danzy Thanks lads for the explanations. @pad199207 Ha, thanks for the cynicism 🤪

Advertisement