Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I thought when Labuschagne got out, that 350 would be a good score but i think if Starc or Lyon can hang around with Smith for another 50-60 runs, i think that'll be to much for England, can see their bowlers getting wickets, especially Starc

Edit: I could also be wrong, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Smith scores a double ton and still some (very much a minority in fairness) boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Declaration can't be too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Steven Smith is just insane.

Declaration can't be too far off.

I'd be letting England toil in the field for a while if I was the Australian Captain. Stokes looks like he's injured. Overton looks like he twinged something as well. 5th test follows pretty quickly after this one too.

Smith just gone. Great innings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I nipped out for a bit thinking they'd declare but instead Starc seems to have gone mad with the bat, 49 off 47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I nipped out for a bit thinking they'd declare but instead Starc seems to have gone mad with the bat, 49 off 47

Yes great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No point declaring in the first innings. Let the lower order go out to have a swing and they can add some very useful runs very quickly like Starc & Lyon are doing now when the bowlers are demoralised.

Little bit of rain around tomorrow morning but meant to be dry otherwise for the rest of the test. England will be praying for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lots of spin and bounce. T-Pain needs to get Starc bowling more and his other bowlers over the wicket. Rough up those areas and Gary will win the game

Burns has played well. Has the look of a quality test opener.

• Advertisement

This is what Australia feared with Starc, might go on a tear and clean up the tail but you can see why they were so hesistant playing up till now.

Might revert back to Pattinson for the Oval. Not much swing this series compared to 2015 which also nullifies Starc a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Burns has played well. Has the look of a quality test opener.

He’s actually barring one dodgy shot that I can recall, looking seriously comfortable out there. Game has ‘draw’ written all over it. English batsmen looking comfortable all be it very defensive, the run rate is 2.67 last time it flashed up, seriously conservative even for test cricket.. though England were somewhat behind the 8 ball in term of affordable aggression given the huge Australia first innings score.

Well Thomas we gave him the kiss of death, one of the few bad shots he’s played but played it to a good delivery and he’s on his way. Shame not to see him complete the century and see out the day too.

81 is still a good score, occupied the crease and took time out of the game, the middle order need to stand up now.

Hazlewood is a class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Strumms wrote: »
    He’s actually barring one dodgy shot that I can recall, looking seriously comfortable out there. Game has ‘draw’ written all over it. English batsmen looking comfortable all be it very defensive, the run rate is 2.67 last time it flashed up, seriously conservative even for test cricket.. though England were somewhat behind the 8 ball in term of affordable aggression given the huge Australia first innings score.

Very optimistic of you expecting a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

4 down now, collapse on

Happy4all wrote: »
    Very optimistic of you expecting a draw

Possibly, I was basing my thinking on England getting to close loosing maybe only the one more wicket but its probably another quick wicket away from an actual collapse now. Hazlewood has been super and Lyon ok wicketless has been super accurate and economical adding to the pressure.

Paine acting like a complete unsporting prîck here. Umpires offer the light after taking another reading, batsmen walk and umpires who follow get an earful from him... fine the fûcker... imagine if it was Dickie Bird standing, there would be no rhetorical back and forth that’s for sure.

Strumms wrote: »
    Paine acting like a complete unsporting pr here. Umpires offer the light after taking another reading, batsmen walk and umpires who follow get an earful from him... fine the fûcker... imagine if it was Dickie Bird standing, there would be no rhetorical back and forth that’s for sure.
    Aussies are always at it. McGrath and Sarwan was the funniest, couldn't handle that at all. I know his wife was sick and all, but Sarwan didn't know that, McGrath absolutely cracked up, but he started the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Aussies are always at it. McGrath and Sarwan was the funniest, couldn't handle that at all. I know his wife was sick and all, but Sarwan didn't know that, McGrath absolutely cracked up, but he started the whole thing.

They are unfortunately. What’s annoys me about some of their players now again it seems and certainly historically is they can give it but not quite fond of it when they are on the receiving end, either umpiring decisions which they don’t like or a bit of chat/sledging. I’d enjoy seeing Smith / Paine sanctioned after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And it isn’t just today. I was at St. George’s Park in PE about 25 years ago. The Springboks had just given Test status to Paul Adams. He had a very odd way of batting. At one stage, I think it was Warnie who bowled. Adams made a complete balls in his attempt to hit the ball. Ian Healy lay down and nearly had a seizure with his laughing.

So insulting to SA’s first non white player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Not sure what skin colour has to do with it. I would put the Likes of Flintoff, Swann and abroad up there with the worst of the Aussies in that regard. It’s not nice to watch but if they thinks it gives them an edge then they’ll keep going.

As for this match if Australia can get England out by 3/3.30 then they still have a chance of getting a win. From England’s point of view an 86 ball score of 2 from stokes would do very nicely again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

If England don't reach 297 will the Aussies force follow on or bat, prob be to hard on bowlers to continue bowling?

And it isn’t just today. I was at St. George’s Park in PE about 25 years ago. The Springboks had just given Test status to Paul Adams. He had a very odd way of batting. At one stage, I think it was Warnie who bowled. Adams made a complete balls in his attempt to hit the ball. Ian Healy lay down and nearly had a seizure with his laughing.

So insulting to SA’s first non white player.

Healy was a complete rabbit, on his first ashes tour to England he got about 10 runs, then got 40 in the last test, I could insult him a lot, but I'm not into that, except to say that him laughing at anyone else's batting is ridiculous.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    If England don't reach 297 will the Aussies force follow on or bat, prob be to hard on bowlers to continue bowling?
    Pushed for time, so might enforce it, or else score a quick 120-140, and set England 330-350, bowling on the last day could be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭decies

Come on Aussies hopefully get the win and retain ashes , i still see draw though .

Draw is the likely scenario, going into day four, England five wickets in hand but shîtloads still behind as long as they don’t collapse before lunch it’s unlikely they loose. It’s unlikely too they will put the foot to the gas as if they end up all out mid way in the afternoon it’s advantage Australia, in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Not sure what skin colour has to do with it. I would put the Likes of Flintoff, Swann and abroad up there with the worst of the Aussies in that regard. It’s not nice to watch but if they thinks it gives them an edge then they’ll keep going.

As for this match if Australia can get England out by 3/3.30 then they still have a chance of getting a win. From England’s point of view an 86 ball score of 2 from stokes would do very nicely again

Believe me, skin colour and representing Your country was almost everything in South Africa in those days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

New ball working for Starc: Bairstow and Stokes gone early; 244/7.

Advertisement