Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Poised nicely now with those two wickets, no chance of an England win from a long time ago really but might just be enough time now for the Aussies to squeeze one out and wrap it up before the oval. Smith has just been outstanding, Warner needs dropping.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Poised nicely now with those two wickets, no chance of an England win from a long time ago really but might just be enough time now for the Aussies to squeeze one out and wrap it up before the oval. Smith has just been outstanding, Warner needs dropping.

I thought Bancroft was unlucky to be dropped, he is a more patient and technically better player than Warner. The Aussies have been really good in this series, think tomorrow will finally be the conclusive day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The morning session is massive. Again England get into lunch only shipping say a single wicket in the morning session it’s doable... three down it’s definitely advantage Australia..that pendulum can swing either way.l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I thought Bancroft was unlucky to be dropped, he is a more patient and technically better player than Warner. The Aussies have been really good in this series, think tomorrow will finally be the conclusive day

Warner averages better than Cook does for an opener, 46.35 currently. He was on 48 before this series.

He's on a horrible run of form but make no mistake he's a world class opener.

Averaged 63 in the last Ashes series in Australia too.

Bancroft's not good enough for test cricket period.

Strumms wrote: »
    The morning session is massive. Again England get into lunch only shipping say a single wicket in the morning session it’s doable... three down it’s definitely advantage Australia..that pendulum can swing either way.l

The Aussies should do this.

They had England 9 down at Headingly before tea, and England this time have to bat 30+ overs more.

Denly, Roy, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler, Archer, Overton, Broad, Leach.

Its not a batting unit that would strike a lot of fear, especially for that Aussie bowling attack, if Lyon backs up the pace attack like he did at Edgbaston, I'd strongly fancy them.

Also Australia will get 20+ overs with a second new ball if it goes late.

• Advertisement

They had England 9 down at Headingly before tea, and England this time have to bat 30+ overs more.

Its not a batting unit that would strike a lot of fear, especially for that Aussie bowling attack, if Lyon backs up the pace attack like he did at Edgbaston, I'd strongly fancy them.

Yes I’m thinking Australia too, their bowling attack is not as aggressive or as potent as before but if they continue to stifle England for much needed runs, force errors then it’s their day, I just don’t see the strength or reliability there in the England batsmen to get it done. Unless they can see lunch only shipping the one wicket say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Warner averages better than Cook does for an opener, 46.35 currently. He was on 48 before this series.

He's on a horrible run of form but make no mistake he's a world class opener.

Averaged 63 in the last Ashes series in Australia too.

Bancroft's not good enough for test cricket period.

When the eye goes, players like Warner have nothing to fall back on. He relies on his brilliant instinct, he is not technically sound.

Yes I’m thinking Australia too, their bowling attack is not as aggressive or as potent as before but if they continue to stifle England for much needed runs, force errors then it’s their day, I just don’t see the strength or reliability there in the England batsmen to get it done. Unless they can see lunch only shipping the one wicket say.

Doesn't matter how many wickets they lose by lunch England won't be winning this test. Tomorrow is a simple survival job for them and they will need a fair slice of luck for that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Can't see Stokesy & Co doing it this time. Have they the patience to bat out the day, somehow I doubt it.

Early days on the final day but already the two Australian quicks looking, speedy, sharp and on point accurate. Hazlewood having bowled five overs and he’s only conceded four runs, seriously accurate, England better hope he is accurate more then attacking more then dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

First hour gone and no wickets, surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Think australia need a wicket or 2 before lunch, frustration will start kicking in the longer they dont

Terrific delivery by Cummins

Brilliant delivery and an uncharacteristic tired looking defensive shot. He was nowhere near the ball even though it crashed into the top of off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You would think you wait to see what umpire would say before walking. Would have been reviewed and he would have gone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

You would think you wait to see what umpire would say before walking. Would have been reviewed and he would have gone anyway

I’d say he knew the Aussies were going to review it anyway, Paine knew he hit it so why bother hanging around. Nice to see batsmen walking (albeit rarely) even with DRS.

Stakes this high against the enemy I wouldn’t be moving a muscle, I was surprised too.

Cummins economy rate is 1.97 fûck.

Conchir wrote: »
    I’d say he knew the Aussies were going to review it anyway, Paine knew he hit it so why bother hanging around. Nice to see batsmen walking (albeit rarely) even with DRS.

Make them review, maybe they would or wouldn’t have chosen to, could be it was even a no ball. At this stage in the series 87/3 vs 87/4 is huge...and anyone extolling the virtues of ‘fair play’... remember this is Australia... Steve Smith ? David Warner ?... fûck em... even before that debacle they were always a side who played on ‘the edge’ of fairness and good taste.... English owe them nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Make them review, maybe they would or wouldn’t have chosen to, could be it was even a no ball. At this stage in the series 87/3 vs 87/4 is huge...and anyone extolling the virtues of ‘fair play’... remember this is Australia... Steve Smith ? David Warner ?... fûck em... even before that debacle they were always a side who played on ‘the edge’ of fairness and good taste.... English owe them nada.

Your making sound like the English are Gentlemen but I do agree this is fair play f*** fair play

• Advertisement

Your making sound like the English are Gentlemen but I do agree this is fair play f*** fair play

I’m not making them out as gentlemen but they certainly have no record of being pure cheats, overly aggressive, intimidating anti-sporting bullies... Australia, on the other hand...

I’m all for playing hard but playing fair..

Em, England are certainly no saints and have had plenty of nasty, aggressive players down the years and wouldn't be completely free of scandal themselves now TBH. Not sure where anybody would draw that conclusion from even...

Anyway as has been said, great to see Stokes walk. Captain in waiting right there.

Lyon looks like he's finally turned up.

Have to say more suicidal batting and beginning to look like an Australian win is very possible. Lyon turning the ball feet rather than inches.

Pitch isn't doing anything. Just absolutely dead.

That’s it, all over.

Umpiring this series has been terrible out on the field.. that debacle showing that they are no more competent in the third umpire chair, Jesus.

Australia struggling a little now, Buttler and Overton seem quite settled, need to get 1 of them out soon enough

That’s it, all over.

This has been said quite a few times this series, but its not over till its over.

Australia could well blow this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nice bit of green

It’s an attritional day of cricket but it’s just adding to what has been a great series. Please, please hang on to keep next weekend alive.

Advertisement