Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

And it isn’t just today. I was at St. George’s Park in PE about 25 years ago. The Springboks had just given Test status to Paul Adams. He had a very odd way of batting.

He had a very odd way of bowling too. Really peculiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Poor Jofra doesn't look too good with bat in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Believe me, skin colour and representing Your country was almost everything in South Africa in those days.

I understand the history of South African sport quite well from that period.

My point was that they treated him the same as anyone else. Poorly

This could be a cracking day and a half of cricket now. If Australia can get these out for 20/30 then a win could very much be on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Portsalon wrote: »
    He had a very odd way of bowling too. Really peculiar.

I think he was credited with bowling googles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I understand the history of South African sport quite well from that period.

My point was that they treated him the same as anyone else. Poorly

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

But also, PE was one of the most liberal cities in South Africa and it wasn’t appreciated one bit when Healy reacted.

But in the main, you are right, the wallabies treated everyone with disdain. Saying that, I met both Glenn McGrath & Steve Waugh & outside the ground, you couldn’t meet nicer blokes.

This is a massive 3/4 overs here

This is a massive 3/4 overs here

Can Leach redeem himself for that crucial no ball?

That is a shocking decision

Follow on avoided now. Interesting to see if the aussies go hard when they do get in.

Could be set up perfectly for Warner to come out swinging. He’s not scoring any runs anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Some start to the 2nd innings...Australia will be fearful of what England did in the 3rd test, they won't declare until they get to at least 400 I reckon, if they get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Warner has to be dropped for the 5th test.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

warner gone 1st over for a duck to broad again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

dont know the stats but there was an awful decision at the end of the 3rd test as well. aus also pretty crap with the reviews

dont know the stats but there was an awful decision at the end of the 3rd test as well. aus also pretty crap with the reviews

Their reviews have been awful for the most part. Still a couple of rotten decisions.

This game is now set up beautifully

kmart6 wrote: »
    Warner has to be dropped for the 5th test.

You'd think he'd have to be dropped, even though none of his potential replacements are in great nick either.

I luckily flicked over from the rugby in time to see it!

As Warne observed, if the umpire had given it, England had 2 reviews left. By turning it down, he screwed the Aussies!

But you've just gotta enjoy the Aussies' abysmal ongoing use of the reviews during this series!

Plumb - now back to the rugby!

Another stupid review.

This is so good to watch.

For the neutral Australia getting bowled out for 150 is the perfect innings. Give England 90-100 overs to chase 350 again

• Advertisement

This is so good to watch.

For the neutral Australia getting bowled out for 150 is the perfect innings. Give England 90-100 overs to chase 350 again

It's getting interesting now alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Didn’t see the Aussies slipping like this. 44/4.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ridiculous shot by Wade. Getting into the territory of Smith needing players to just stick in with him.

Here we go again....

As happy as the English must be with the way this is going at the moment I imagine that their batsmen will he having mixed feelings at the prospect of batting on that pitch on the 5th day.

As happy as the English must be with the way this is going at the moment I imagine that their batsmen will he having mixed feelings at the prospect of batting on that pitch on the 5th day.

Exactly. Even though the momentum is with England they are still 250 behind. A few cracks appearing and some balls staying low. This is not Headingley.

Regardless this is as good a session of Test cricket I’ve seen in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Australia just need another 100 here and make it pronto. England wont be chasing down 360 in one day. Their run rate in the first innings was barely 3 an over.

The reason why they had a chance at Headingly was the wicket was far better (in effect day 3) and they had loads of time. Both of which they don't have this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

It will prob be a draw imo cos Aussies will be ultra safe after Headingly.

If England bowl Aussies out quick it could work against them, giving Aussies more time to get them out.

It's entertaining no matter what happens.

A Draw and we have another test match to enjoy.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    It will prob be a draw imo cos Aussies will be ultra safe after Headingly.

Nah I think that would be a massive mistake. England get out of this again and I think they'll win the 5th test. Australia can still retain the Ashes even if they lose this, so I would go for the victory here. Draws are not easy to get and early indications are the oval looks like we'll have 5 days of good weather.

Its starting to look like 2009, a series which should've been a draw and instead Australia cracked under pressure on the final day and blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Aaaaaand we’re back to talking about when do they declare. Steve Smith bats another tidy half century to make Australia safe once more.

Add another quick-fire 50/60 runs and then give England an awkward 45/60 minutes to bat tonight or do they give their quicks the full evening/night to rest up before tearing after 10 wickets in a day tomorrow?

• Advertisement

10 wickets in one day will be tricky. I think they'll need a wicket or two tonight. Lyon's not on great form either.

Advertisement