Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Portsalon wrote: »
    Surely two draws will suffice?

If there's no weather interruptions the way both teams are playing I would be surprised if either match is drawn

On the opener position, they are not going to drop Burns. They may move Roy to 6. I see him getting another chance either way. Same for Buttler. I would not be for bringing anyone new as an opener at this stage, as they could well find themselves caught in the headlights in such a high-profile series. Maybe open up with Denly

The big imponderable to me is whether they accommodate Anderson. I think they could at the expense of Woakes (particularly as it's at OT). I think they would like to have Leach in for both matches, as spin may well play an important part in each of the remaining Tests (which would also count in Denly's favour)

It's fortunate that there is an extended break to the next Test, as these guys need to come back down to earth and then get back up for Old Trafford. Success can be infectious and it could rub off on some of the others. There were signs with Root and Bairstow in this Test, and I could see one or more of the other batsmen coming good after the past 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If Anderson is fit they simply have to pick him. Worrying about the drop off in runs you'd have from leaving out Woakes says quite a lot about the sorry state of their top order.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well I suspect Woakes may be just behind Stokes for the all-rounder spot....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

bilston wrote: »
    The drama today matched 2005.

I don't think either of these sides hold a candle to their 2005 equivalents though, certainly the batsmen don't. Not that it matters. It was still incredible.

If I was to pick a side from 05/19 id go for

England- Strauss Trescothick Vaughan(c) Pietersen Stokes Flintoff Bairstow(wk) Giles Archer Jones Anderson. 12th M Root

Australia- Hayden, Warner, Ponting, Smith, Clarke(c), Labouchaine, Gilchrist(wk), Warne, Cummins, Lee, McGrath. 12thM Hazlewood

A 7/4 split between 05/19 in both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Beasty wrote: »
    Well I suspect Woakes may be just behind Stokes for the all-rounder spot....

:)

Woakes has been under bowled in the last couple of games, either Root doesn't really trust him or his knee has flared up and he can only manage a light workload. In addition, he hasn't been getting many runs, Australia seem to have figured out how to set him up with short balls to get him out with the full one. Broad fades when he has to bowl too much, Stokes cannot do the amount of work he did in the last Test very often, and Archer will soon be on the long term injury list with all the others if he keeps bowling as much as he has been. Anderson must play if he's fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In what world is the most winning Australia captain ever, not captaining that side :)

Couldn't have labo in either tbf, the 05 teams (both of them) are far superior outfits, the current crop is almost as limited as each other in terms of batting, Smith being the only real stand out

Edit: holy **** I've just seen the England wicket keeper too :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

In what world is the most winning Australia captain ever, not captaining that side :)

Couldn't have labo in either tbf, the 05 teams (both of them) are far superior outfits, the current crop is almost as limited as each other in terms of batting, Smith being the only real stand out

Edit: holy **** I've just seen the England wicket keeper too :D

Ponting loses captaincy over that decision 😀

Labo bit of a punt but he’s been impressive in the 3 innings he’s played this series.

You saying Jones better than Bairstow? Maybe, not great batter, but I suppose that’s secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anderson ruled out of the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

England's squad for fourth Ashes Test

Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Jack Leach (Somerset), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out for the rest of the Ashes after experiencing pain in his calf in that second XI game he played this week. With his age, that could well be that for Jimmy. Craig Overton has come into the squad.

Amazingly no changes in the batting for England, so it looks like they could well name an unchanged side next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That's a real shame! I feel that could be that

• Advertisement

My Aus team for the next test would be
    Warner
    Harris
    Khawaja
    Smith
    Labushagne
    M Marsh
    Paine
    Cummins
    Starc
    Hazlewood
    Lyon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Amusing to see that Smith failed against the might of second division Derbyshire CCC this afternoon! I'm a bit surprised that England didn't immediately add young Matt Critchely to their squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Always the risk when you continue on to play to a high level in your late 30s. I don't think this will be the last of Anderson, he'll come straight back into the team as soon he gains full fitness and likely will be part of the tour to SA.

Let's not forget he was England best bowler down under in the last Ashes series, so it wouldn't be a complete stretch for him to play in the 2021/2022 series. I think at his age its best just to judge him on a series by series basis and see how it goes.

Having said that I don't think bringing Anderson back was absolute necessity for England anyway. Woakes is averaging 29 this series, a fully fit Jimmy might be averaging around closer to 20, but England have knocked the Aussies over for 284, 250 and 179 in each of their first innings so far. England's bowling attack has been superb and its hard to ask much more of them. If England don't win the Ashes it will be down to their batting failures less so to do with Anderson replacing Woakes.

Amusing to see that Smith failed against the might of second division Derbyshire CCC this afternoon! I'm a bit surprised that England didn't immediately add young Matt Critchely to their squad!

Only takes one good ball or one mistake for a wicket to fall. No-one is infallible, but Smith is World class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Beasty wrote: »
    Only takes one good ball or one mistake for a wicket to fall. No-one is infallible, but Smith is World class

Eoin Morgan looked pretty infallible against Somerset this evening! What a great innings!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Eoin Morgan looked pretty infallible against Somerset this evening! What a great innings!

Eoin singing GSTQ at the WC final has really turned me off him and I know about his English parentage. Like Jason Roy a great limited overs player but not test standard.

Eoin singing GSTQ at the WC final has really turned me off him and I know about his English parentage. Like Jason Roy a great limited overs player but not test standard.

If he hadn't for an occassion like that he would've come under all sorts of abuse certainly if they had lost it.

Could you imagine if someone with Irish parentage playing for Ireland refusing to sing the Irish anthem, especially in a WC final? There would likely be a backlash questioning the players loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nice bit of green

Exactly, unfortunately the whole people changing nationality thing has happened a million times before. Yes the whole thing is diluted but people just want to play at the highest level they can. He knew well he could make the Ireland team. He just wanted to test himself at a higher level.

Bumrah just got a hatrick. :pac:

West Indies 13/4.

Muppet

• Advertisement

Muppet

Tut tut, our Owen isn't a Muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Tut tut, our Owen isn't a Muppet

I really don't know where You are coming from. You are the very person who said this above:

You cannot even spell His name correctly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoin_Morgan

I really don't know where You are coming from. You are the very person who said this above:

You cannot even spell His name correctly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoin_Morgan

I used the anglicised spelling of his name to jokingly tie in with my earlier point.. This is a forum for people to express different pov s. You and others don't agree with me, fine I get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Denly to open with Burns. Roy moved to 4.

Denly’s half century will have bought him a little time but you’d imagine both players are on the bubble now and the next two tests could go a long way to deciding their test career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Denly to open with Burns. Roy moved to 4.

Denly’s half century will have bought him a little time but you’d imagine both players are on the bubble now and the next two tests could go a long way to deciding their test career.

It was the obvious option - Denly has effectively been batting as an opener in this series anyway.

I think its a little early to write off Roy yet. He is very talented and has a reasonably correct technique, and he hasn't played overly much first class cricket in his career and none at all in the last couple of years. Even the England management don't think he's a Test opener, he has only been playing there as there wasn't anyone else (imagine how Keaton Jennings would have gone in this series). He needs a chance to learn Test batting in a more suitable position in the order.

Denly was only ever a stop gap selection, England having already gone through all the obvious alternatives. Now that Ollie Pope, Dom Sibley and Zak Crawley are maybe ready to be given a chance at Test level I would expect Denly to make way, but the middle of an Ashes series is not the time to be bringing the new guys in.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nice bit of green

Weather looks to be a bit of a mixed bag this week in Manchester. I’ll go draw then winner takes all at The Oval.

Khawaja dropped with starc likely to play

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Woakes dropped from the squad for Overton. It will be him or curran playing.

I always got the impression that they were never too keen on Woakes despite his great record.

Woakes dropped from the squad for Overton. It will be him or curran playing.

I always got the impression that they were never too keen on Woakes despite his great record.

It'll be Curran so.

• Advertisement

It'll be Curran so.

Correction Overton

Advertisement