Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in Ireland working for free from today until 31 December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

More unsubstantiated BS on this ridiculous topic. Until someone gives me a detailed study on the gender income disparity they can bollox off.

And I mean detailed, really detailed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's nothing worse than someone trying to put material or financial value on a man or woman who enjoys being at home and doing domestic chores.

Undermining people's ability to be domestic by, putting a price on it.

The end is nigh lol

Bring back the horse too while ye are on track...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1111/1089986-women-working-for-free/ This is disgraceful! When are the patriarchy going to stop the ridiculous gender stereotyping of women and pay them the same as men!! :mad:

I work agreed hours a week for an agreed hourly rate. I’m happy with that. So is my boss. Males of the species in the same job get the same hourly rate. It’s been thus since the early 80’s. If I felt that I was worth more, then I’d seek better paid employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why did none point out in these threads that men work on average 7 years longer than women. That has a huge effect on the average salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why did none point out in these threads that men work on average 7 years longer than women. That has a huge effect on the average salary.

Because we don’t want actual facts and reality interfering with an opportunity to moan about the non existent oppressor we glibly refer to as the patriarchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭malinheader

Dee Forbes, Miriam o callaghan etc. Should get a rise immediately.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Because we don’t want actual facts and reality interfering with an opportunity to moan about the non existent oppressor we glibly refer to as the patriarchy.

Patriarchy's sounds like a monster or a high priest or somefink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

nthclare wrote: »
    Patriarchy's sounds like a monster or a high priest or somefink

No, its a big hair metal band.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They say a woman's work is never done.

Perhaps it might help them if they got some training on time management

(Joke...keep your knickers on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

bluewolf wrote: »
    Housework "comes naturally". Jesus

I wouldn't say housework comes naturally but the accompanying nagging about it certainly does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its a childcare gap. Women who don’t have kids never experience this at all.

This push to say you can be mother of the year and CEO is complete crap and a complete slap in the face to people who dedicate their lives to their careers. This only serves to hurt childless women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

F**k that, since we're all equal, I'm a man but I want equal rights to carrying a child. By not permitting me to carry my own child, the state is discriminating against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dont childless women and lesbians earn the most amount of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Typical RTÉ, Rich vs poor, men vs woman.

In tomorrow’s news a special report on how tough life is for the next minority. Followed by how carbon tax will save the world.

Yawn...

dont childless women and lesbians earn the most amount of money?

Yes, theres already a bit of a bonus to womens pay tp male up for the eventual ‘gap’ in a lot of circumstances , so women who dont have children and childless lesbians reap rewards at present.

Any attempt to ‘correct’ the gap would leave them worse off but have the surprising boost to men who have children to take all the paternity leave they wouldnt have been arsed taking as theres no point in them being dedicated to their career since you just get handed the money for not putting the work in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Someone is on a nice little earner, paid to spout that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

A genuine question, if a man is the sole earner and his wages are used to the benefit of the family be it if there are kids or whatever and the wife has free access to the wages is she deemed to be unpaid for her housework?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A genuine question, if a man is the sole earner and his wages are used to the benefit of the family be it if there are kids or whatever and the wife has free access to the wages is she deemed to be unpaid for her housework?
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

"The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career." - CS Lewis

Just putting the cat among the pigeons with that little quote. Heh :) I saw it recently and it gave me pause for thought.

I see an essential truth in the quote in that society is made up of people and people have all been raised by parent(s) or care givers usually in homes, and good raising of people in good homes makes for happier people and a happier society. Or at least conversely poor homelife and shoddy home making leads to problems in society. For everyone.

Am not saying it is the whole of the truth but it is part of the truth. A part that people feel a bit sheepish to advocate on behalf of now that individual hedonism and materialism has been elevated as forming a potentially higher purpose.

Examples - One big issue that is much under investigated are fatherless homes. Homeless children is another topical issue. Time poverty is another, a lack of time with ones children. Etc

Whether one has a partner or children or not most people by their work are contributing towards a hopefully more stable society that has the possibility of functioning homes and the possibility of good rearing of the next generation at its heart. Because everyone ultimately benefits from that. Less crime, more service, less unhappiness, more inspiration and innovation.
    No one benefits from the weakening of societal fabric and bonds. Everyone plays a part.

PS Homemakers should be paid, dagnabbit!

PPS The gender pay gap is a myth. People earn the same per hour, for the same work, otherwise it is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://dressforsuccessdublin.org/our-board-2/

Only women on this not very diverse board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

biko wrote: »

That was the one who was on the Niall Boylan show today making a bit of a clown out of herself, she refused to debate Larrissa Nolan and would only go on the show if she was allowed free reign to make her points, most of which were Feminism buzz words and phrases and when asked, repeatedly, she failed to name one single firm who pays women 30% less than men.

She is a moron!

Larrissa Nolan was very articulate and could refer to a number of studies and was extremely critical of this continuing damaging narrative!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Gynoid wrote: »
    "The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career." - CS Lewis

Just putting the cat among the pigeons with that little quote. Heh :) I saw it recently and it gave me pause for thought.

I see an essential truth in the quote in that society is made up of people and people have all been raised by parent(s) or care givers usually in homes, and good raising of people in good homes makes for happier people and a happier society. Or at least conversely poor homelife and shoddy home making leads to problems in society. For everyone.

Am not saying it is the whole of the truth but it is part of the truth. A part that people feel a bit sheepish to advocate on behalf of now that individual hedonism and materialism has been elevated as forming a potentially higher purpose.

Examples - One big issue that is much under investigated are fatherless homes. Homeless children is another topical issue. Time poverty is another, a lack of time with ones children. Etc

Whether one has a partner or children or not most people by their work are contributing towards a hopefully more stable society that has the possibility of functioning homes and the possibility of good rearing of the next generation at its heart. Because everyone ultimately benefits from that. Less crime, more service, less unhappiness, more inspiration and innovation.
    No one benefits from the weakening of societal fabric and bonds. Everyone plays a part.

PS Homemakers should be paid, dagnabbit!

PPS The gender pay gap is a myth. People earn the same per hour, for the same work, otherwise it is illegal.

There has been a massive rise in the amount of people taking anti depressants over the last number of years, and women are more than twice as likely to be on them than men.

Can anyone say that we are a happier society because it seems we are increasing dealing with an anxiety epidemic, I like you, am beginning to wonder the root cause of it all...I could very well be wrong, but having to manage a career and raise kids simultaneously is a very hard thing to be able to do, for fathers and mothers! If someone thinks they can have it all, they are wrong!

Dress for success seems like a vehicle to increase their own profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

biko wrote: »

I think you're wrong there man. Surely the Chairperson is a man dressed as a woman and using a woman's name. That's fairly diverse - Dress for success!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

More feminist crap, would it have anything to do with women working lesser paid jobs , all of my friends would earn more than their partners except one. Why dont these women who claim to be earning less than men , get up off their arse and set up their own company's . Women are half the population on this planet so they should get plenty of business from all the disenfranchised women around the world .

More feminist crap, would it have anything to do with women working lesser paid jobs , all of my friends would earn more than their partners except one. Why dont these women who claim to be earning less than men , get up off their arse and set up their own company's . Women are half the population on this planet so they should get plenty of business from all the disenfranchised women around the world .

i think most women are well aware how this works. What these people are campaigning for is for women to be able to take 2 years off to have kids, leave work early to do the school run, take time off for every doctors apointment and play, come in late every rainy day and still have the same odds of promotion and same salary as the man or woman who was in early and home late every day and barely used their holiday days.

Why don't women just identify as men at work , and they'll get the same pay . Gender pay gap solved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Why don't women just identify as men at work , and they'll get the same pay . Gender pay gap solved

Better still, why don't they identify as the Boss and get the same money as the boss? Seems to be the "thing" to do now, identify as something and you become that "thing".....I personally identify as a billionaire, yet I still have only a few quid in the bank..;)

i think most women are well aware how this works. What these people are campaigning for is for women to be able to take 2 years off to have kids, leave work early to do the school run, take time off for every doctors apointment and play, come in late every rainy day and still have the same odds of promotion and same salary as the man or woman who was in early and home late every day and barely used their holiday days.

Most feminists don't live in the real world tho. Anytime I hear you talking on the radio I change the channel . Trying eke out a living after spending 4 years in college doing gender studies .

• Advertisement

I think you're wrong there man. Surely the Chairperson is a man dressed as a woman and using a woman's name. That's fairly diverse - Dress for success!

And always make sure you're standing under the golden arches :)

Advertisement