Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in Ireland working for free from today until 31 December

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

But with all the efforts to ensure that girls have female role models, we've lost sight of the fact that boys also need male role models. Indeed, a boy growing up today in a single-parent household, and being taught exclusively by women at school, may have no male role model in his life at all.

I'm very supportive of all children doing well in education — boys and girls alike. Anyone genuinely concerned about gender equality should be concerned about the anti-boy bias in our schools and the generations of underachieving boys that we are now turning out.

+1

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...hool-1.1591232

"The recent study, at the University of Kent, revealed that boys are falling behind girls because they are constantly being told they are not up to scratch. The research, which involved about 600 children aged four to 10, found that boys felt their teachers and parents did not expect them to do as well as girls, and lost their motivation or confidence as a result.
    Tests showed belief in their own academic inferiority could translate into lower school grades among boys. The results, published in the Child Development journal, showed that by the time boys are seven years old they equate girls with higher achievement at school. Girls believe they are higher achievers by the time they have reached the age of four."

“Our research showed that from the age of four, girls thought they were better than boys at school, believing they understood their work better, did better, were more motivated and better behaved. From the age of seven, boys rated themselves collectively as worse than girls."

"“In a follow-up study,” she says, “we showed that when children were reminded of this stereotype and asked to sit a test of reading, writing and maths, boys did worse compared to a control group of similar boys who were not reminded of the stereotype.
    “Girls were not affected by being reminded that they were expected to be better than boys; that is, they didn’t get better. In a second follow-up experiment, we told children that girls and boys were expected to do equally well. This made boys do better and didn’t affect girls; that is, they didn’t get worse.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Here it is including the now deleted page: It came from the National Women's council of Ireland's report . This is the relevant part;

The latest figures from the EU Commission show that the Gender Pay Gap in Ireland is 13.9% - in other words women in Ireland are paid almost 14% less than men. The Gender Pay Gap exists even though women do better at school and university than men. In the Irish context, what is perhaps most disturbing is the high cost of motherhood. Figures from the OECD show that in Ireland the Gender Pay Gap for women with no children is -17% but this increases significantly to 14% for women with at least one child – a jump of 31 percentage points. The gender pay gap exists across the sectors.
    For the bottom 10% of earners, the Gender Pay Gap in Ireland is 4% but this rises to 24.6% for the top 10% of income earners, suggesting the continued presence of a glass ceiling and indirect discrimination.

Bill Gates is -10000000000000000% poorer than me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nope, short term gain long term lost.

You don't want to be known as a trouble maker who needs to tell the teacher to get something done. Even if a woman did it, she would very quickly reach a glass cieling as nobody wants someone who can't handle their own business in senior positions.

Exactly... I'll bide my time and use it when suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Actually Z the women's council of Ireland IIRC on their website page about the "pay gap" noted that Irish women on average earn 17% ...
    I'm aware, however, "on average" is different to "exact same role". The former is usual "pay gap" shenanigans, while the later would appear to be an obvious discrimination case with evidence which would be an open/shut big pay out if true.
    Nope, short term gain long term lost.
    You don't want to be known as a trouble maker who needs to tell the teacher to get something done. Even if a woman did it, she would very quickly reach a glass cieling as nobody wants someone who can't handle their own business in senior positions.
    While I acknowledge this is true in some very limited and restricted areas of the labor market, it simple isnt true of most. However I do find your language quite telling.

In a majority of cases you'd be a fool not to take the case.

Exactly... I'll bide my time and use it when suitable.
    What role & industry do you work in as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Zulu wrote: »
    I'm aware, however, "on average" is different to "exact same role". The former is usual "pay gap" shenanigans, while the later would appear to be an obvious discrimination case with evidence which would be an open/shut big pay out if true.

While I acknowledge this is true in some very limited and restricted areas of the labor market, it simple isnt true of most. However I do find your language quite telling.

In a majority of cases you'd be a fool not to take the case.

You know, I am curious about the language?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

There are several construction sites near me and I cannot recall ever seeing a female worker on them. Strange that we never hear complaints about discrimination in that industry. Almost as though the men in society do most of the tough jobs, nursing being the obvious exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tdf7187 wrote: »
    There are several construction sites near me and I cannot recall ever seeing a female worker on them. Strange that we never hear complaints about discrimination in that industry. Almost as though the men in society do most of the tough jobs, nursing being the obvious exception.

women do the majority of care work, not just child care, and theres nothing easy about that, and the majority of it is unpaid or low paid

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Here it is including the now deleted page: It came from the National Women's council of Ireland's report . This is the relevant part;

The latest figures from the EU Commission show that the Gender Pay Gap in Ireland is 13.9% - in other words women in Ireland are paid almost 14% less than men. The Gender Pay Gap exists even though women do better at school and university than men. In the Irish context, what is perhaps most disturbing is the high cost of motherhood. Figures from the OECD show that in Ireland the Gender Pay Gap for women with no children is -17% but this increases significantly to 14% for women with at least one child – a jump of 31 percentage points. The gender pay gap exists across the sectors.
    For the bottom 10% of earners, the Gender Pay Gap in Ireland is 4% but this rises to 24.6% for the top 10% of income earners, suggesting the continued presence of a glass ceiling and indirect discrimination.

There's nothing hilarious about that at all, it's misrepresentation of the facts and deliberate obfusication to support their narrative that all women are victims. They thought they'd get away with it, but when that was questioned it was disappeared from public view in the hopes that it would be forgotten. Which hasn't happened in this case.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

You know, I am curious about the language?

trouble maker
    needs to tell the teacher

People view things in different ways and use different language to describe their perspective. I'd suggest the above language wouldn't be used by a big law firm used to dealing with employee issues.

Clear cut discrimination cases tend to get settled before the WRC with payouts and NDA's protecting both parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Just a question? (Oh and one observation)

Is there a National Men’s Council of Ireland?

Surely the National Women’s Council of Ireland are being discriminatory? there is not one man listed as working there.. not even to make the tea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Zulu wrote: »
    What role & industry do you work in as a matter of interest?

Construction.

NSAman wrote: »
    Just a question? (Oh and one observation)

Is there a National Men’s Council of Ireland?

Surely the National Women’s Council of Ireland are being discriminatory? there is not one man listed as working there.. not even to make the tea!!!

Its not sexism if its to protect the weaker sex.

Wait a second...

Construction.
    You might be at a hiding to nothing there in fairness. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tdf7187 wrote: »

Exactly.

This film is worth watching.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3686998/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Nursing and taking care of the elderly is a tough job, but it's still within the realm of 'safe' and , beyond a plague, is still classed as not dangerous.

Interestingly enough, Sweden has the same workplace injuries and death ratio as the rest of the world. Imo, that is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Ah FFS! This whole conspiracy theory again, why has it not died? Sorry ladies you are not victims and it is against the law in Ireland to discriminate when it come to pay and I do not want to hear the "but at the very highest highest level of Management is some legacy company the top men earn a bit more" argument as it has been shown when women take time off to have kids it effects their chances of getting a bonus or promotion as they have not put the time required in. Per-hour women and men earn the same.

Advertisement