Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in Ireland working for free from today until 31 December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

i think most women are well aware how this works. What these people are campaigning for is for women to be able to take 2 years off to have kids, leave work early to do the school run, take time off for every doctors apointment and play, come in late every rainy day and still have the same odds of promotion and same salary as the man or woman who was in early and home late every day and barely used their holiday days.

Actually most women would ne just happy if their husband did that every so often.

Anyway these threads are started so men can feel hard done by evil feminists. It's the usual whingefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Yaawwnnnn.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

meeeeh wrote: »
    these threads are started so men can feel hard done by evil feminists. It's the usual whingefest.
    It is, but I still agree with the frustration at it. The gender pay gap is absolute bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

bluewolf wrote: »
    Housework "comes naturally". Jesus

Well, yeah? It's pretty natural not to stew in your own juices.

What's your opinion on the matter of the op?

• Advertisement

Actually most women would ne just happy if their husband did that every so often.

Anyway these threads are started so men can feel hard done by evil feminists. It's the usual whingefest.

Yeah, if I ever settle down, I'd be tempted to go part time, ask the wife to go part time and we can share child rearing and housework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Incorrect. The gender pay gap is now mainly due to women deciding to take time out of the workforce to raise children instead. It is a perfectly valid choice. I am a single father and I made the same choice three years ago to take an extended sabbatical to focus on raising my child. When I decided to take the time out I was earning €70k a year. When I go back to work, I will do well to command anywhere near the same salary immediately, and will take a hit. But that's fine. I made the correct decision for my little family. Women make this decision all the time. It's not all about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Women also do more housework - which is UNPAID!

Tell me Batrathox... how much housework do YOU do??

We as a society need to start valuing women's contributions more. If patriarchal capitalist system is broken then government need to step in and pay a subsidy to women to make up the gap a finally recognize the work they do.

As far as I can tell there was no distinction made between working and unworking men and women.
    Given women are more likely to stay at home, theyre more likely to do housework.
    The same study would show men earning more cash as they are more likely to be employed.

Unless women want a role reversal, which most do not (haven't heard of any women swapping maternity leave with their partner) it's unlikely this is going to change and probably doesn't need to change.

The gap is in overall earnings (because of having children, going part-time, choosing jobs more suitable for family life etc) rather than pay rates.

Grossly dishonest.

Yup. Men complain on the internet. Women complain in public.

Funnily enough, women have been far more effective considering all the benefits now available to them, but lets not mention any of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

So if the reduced income relates to less hours worked due to childcare costs etc, is it not more accurate to say 'Women in Ireland not working from today until 31st December'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No they aren't.

mystic86 wrote: »
    So if the reduced income relates to less hours worked due to childcare costs etc, is it not more accurate to say 'Women in Ireland not working from today until 31st December'

Except it's mostly personal choices that skew the income relationships. Suggesting that its childcare costs etc, makes it sound reasonable that they need a hand-up.

There are plenty of single people (both male and female) who are on the lower income brackets due to education, and their ambitions. I know quite a few people who work few hours, and work in something they love... and their salaries reflect that.

Just as I work few hours a week, so that I can focus on writing books. I haven't been particularly successful (yet) so my income in comparison to others would be skewed. However, if I went back into Finance and management, worked 40+ hours, then my income would jump. People need to take more responsibility for their lifestyle and professional choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just as I work few hours a week, so that I can focus on writing books. I haven't been particularly successful (yet) so my income in comparison to others would be skewed. However, if I went back into Finance and management, worked 40+ hours, then my income would jump. People need to take more responsibility for their lifestyle and professional choices.

Again, we actually don't live on the planet of equal opportunities, but strangely, some humans seem to think we do, this is well known and researched

Yes the internet, the most private forum there is...

Seriously?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Women also do more housework - which is UNPAID!

Tell me Batrathox... how much housework do YOU do??

We as a society need to start valuing women's contributions more. If patriarchal capitalist system is broken then government need to step in and pay a subsidy to women to make up the gap a finally recognize the work they do.

A womans work is never done. Famous saying. Also, probably the reason they get paid less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A womans work is never done. Famous saying. Also, probably the reason they get paid less.

or maybe its the fact, we re just a bunch of misogynists

Funnily enough, women have been far more effective considering all the benefits now available to them, but lets not mention any of those.

Men don't have a rich daddy funding their gender studies programme and their "career" as an activist , they are too busy climbing the career ladder. Those rich daddies, pussy whipped by their stay at home ladies who lunch wives, traitors to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They do, all the time all over the country.

Such an outdated view of the world you have

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A few days ago THAT day was in The Netherlands.

When it was pointed out, by a woman, that the gap is mostly caused by women themselves (take more leave, more often part time jobs, less inclined to commute for a better paying job amongst others) the group beating the drum of women earning 15% less (www.15procent.nl) actually agreed that those reasons accounted for at least 9% difference.

Still waiting for the answer whether 6procent.nl was taken that they went for 15procent.nl instead.

• Advertisement

They do, all the time all over the country.

Such an outdated view of the world you have

Well thank god for token men so you can ignore all the research.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its stereotyping such as this, which lets the bad ones away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maccyd13

I personally think that there is probably a slight amount of misogyny in a few business where the owner/manager would subconsciously hire more men for senior roles and promote more men just because of their nature.

But this has recently been countered by a number of newer and modern businesses where the owner/manager would consciously hire more women for senior roles and promote more women just because it's the more praised thing to do by the media, and they might get a good PR mention, which in turn could result in greater sales and be overall better for the business, but only because of the wrong reasons, which comes down to sexism.

I am part of the younger and less experienced age bracket (22 male) where this has effected me already and I estimate will effect me further down the line and more drastically with the way things are going.

Men don't have a rich daddy funding their gender studies programme and their "career" as an activist
    Most women don't either, and some men do. :confused:
    they are too busy climbing the career ladder. Those rich daddies, pussy whipped by their stay at home ladies who lunch wives, traitors to the cause.
    Crikey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Research from the US suggests that a good amount of the so-called gender pay gap results from women's choices in university. Female students are more likely to choose lower-paying degrees such as literature, art history, or languages, while men are more likely to study higher-paying degrees like computer science, engineering, and finance.

The pay gap is then compounded by other factors, notably that women work fewer hours, are more likely to take career breaks to have children.

Ultimately, the "gender pay gap" comes down to women's own choices rather than any conspiracy to keep them down.

Pintman Paddy Losty is definitely trolling people

Research from the US suggests that a good amount of the so-called gender pay gap results from women's choices in university. Female students are more likely to choose lower-paying degrees such as literature, art history, or languages, while men are more likely to study higher-paying degrees like computer science, engineering, and finance.

The pay gap is then compounded by other factors, notably that women work fewer hours, are more likely to take career breaks to have children.

Ultimately, the "gender pay gap" comes down to women's own choices rather than any conspiracy to keep them down.

Also, taking care of childrne can be more fulfilling that slogging away in an office to make somebody else money.

Tbh, taking care of the family motivated men to work for centuries rather than any real intrinsic love (though there is like) for work.

Sure, I think Klaz would know plenty of men who do not have families and kind of meander through life if they do not have a hobby or raison detre. I know them in my own field, and I am probably one of them.

Does this style of arguing actually work? I see it all the time in American tv shows, (good god the first episode of the new season of shameless is pretty much 20% banshee) but I doubt it actually works in real life.

Pintman Paddy Losty is definitely trolling people

I prefer the term Devil's Advocate in this instance :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes the internet, the most private forum there is...

Seriously?!

Men complaining on the internet aren't taken seriously. It's the home of nutjobs and weirdos.

Women complain on the internet, but they also complain on the radio, TV, in magazines, etc. It helps that there are far more publications aimed at women than there are for men. Which means that feminists can reach a much wider range of females with their ideas. Many will shrug off their complaints and issues as nonsense, but the wider scope means that those who agree will be contacted. Just as there's a wide readership of feminist related magazines, and books. How much of that is done by men for a male audience? Virtually none.
    Men don't have a rich daddy funding their gender studies programme and their "career" as an activist , they are too busy climbing the career ladder. Those rich daddies, pussy whipped by their stay at home ladies who lunch wives, traitors to the cause.

Rubbish. Those kind of men stay on as "farmers", or enter politics precisely because that's what men with money do. Or they throw them into business at management level after sponsoring their time in one of the premier colleges.

Anyway, from my experience, most women with rich daddies, end up doing hotel management, event management, decoration, or some kind of design. Perhaps some kind of Modern Art degree. Some do get into women's studies programs, but have you even looked at the people who become activists for womens' rights? They're not the rich. They're the middle class, for the most part.

Advertisement