Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Inviere wrote: »
    What a cold human being. I'd hate to work for someone like that.

If I worked for him I wouldn't take medical advice from him, mainly because he's a Doctor of Law.

I'd say the contract would be pretty water tight though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Is anyone doing anything F1 related like watching old races etc while there is no F1 live at the moment? I'm getting my fix from reading Autosport every now and then. That will do for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Is anyone doing anything F1 related like watching old races etc while there is no F1 live at the moment? I'm getting my fix from reading Autosport every now and then. That will do for me now.

I listened to the Missed Apex podcast with Gemma Hatton, former Pirelli and Manor F1 tyre engineer and deputy editor of Racecar Engineering.

As usual the guest was excellent. The host is a nobhead. You need to get past his terrible gamer-banter to get to the guest. Good episode though. They have Matt Carter coming up next (former Lotus team principal). He’s good too. He’s completely out of the sport now so he just tells you what he knows about how things work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If this guy did not see or observe the amount of risk he will give to his or to his employees loved ones. He is extremely foolish to suggest that trying to avoid the risks of obtaining the virus would be a good move for his team. People thinking outside of his own head have done well to ignore his advice. Good on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Them getting it now would give him time to replace them if they’re damaged. The guy seems like a complete goon on account of this. Maybe it was just a joke gone wrong but if he actually thinks that way, then he’s a wrong’n

I can see a not too distant future where people who have successfully fought the virus are in the stronger position. Everyone else needing to be restricted for along time to come even when things are back up and moving.
    Any business or factory or f1 team where the staff are imune would have to be in a strong position.
    Maybe not Dr markos idea of purposely infecting but certainly people who have gone through it may well be the new healthy in terms of being sought after by employers etc.
    How outrageous is it to think that employers in critical industry would be allowed to seek covid imune personnel? Or could covid imune staff be much better for international travel for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭This is it

Playing F1 on Xbox :D

mickdw wrote: »
    I can see a not too distant future where people who have successfully fought the virus are in the stronger position. Everyone else needing to be restricted for along time to come even when things are back up and moving.
    Any business or factory or f1 team where the staff are imune would have to be in a strong position.
    Maybe not Dr markos idea of purposely infecting but certainly people who have gone through it may well be the new healthy in terms of being sought after by employers etc.
    How outrageous is it to think that employers in critical industry would be allowed to seek covid imune personnel? Or could covid imune staff be much better for international travel for example?

Yeah there’s a great chance that people who are immune will be the first ones allowed back to work. And then supply of labour would probably be lower than demand for all kinds of roles.

Still wouldn't advocate anyone else gets the disease on purpose though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Watched the 98 Australian and Brazilian grand prix over the last few days. Had kinda forgotten that season so thought I'd take the chance to have a look. Couple of points:

- Mclaren's dominance was mental, am keen to see more of this season to understand how Schumi got into contention for the Championship.
    - Overtaking very hard even at this point, very few overtakes in Aus, as bad as same race in 2019. Director was useless in Brazil, feel he missed a few, but interesting to see Schumacher cruised up behind Frentzen early on in the race and didn't get a sniff of passing him.
    - watching these made me realise how great the TV graphics are these days, much more info provided to the viewer. Team radio is a great addition as well.
    - What was the pit speed limit at time? Looks like the cars were flying down the pit lane.

Going to keep this season, keen to build up a picture of what the sport was like then compared to now. I know a lot of people view this era as being superior to current day F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Watched the 98 Australian and Brazilian grand prix over the last few days. Had kinda forgotten that season so thought I'd take the chance to have a look. Couple of points:

- Mclaren's dominance was mental, am keen to see more of this season to understand how Schumi got into contention for the Championship.
    - Overtaking very hard even at this point, very few overtakes in Aus, as bad as same race in 2019. Director was useless in Brazil, feel he missed a few, but interesting to see Schumacher cruised up behind Frentzen early on in the race and didn't get a sniff of passing him.
    - watching these made me realise how great the TV graphics are these days, much more info provided to the viewer. Team radio is a great addition as well.
    - What was the pit speed limit at time? Looks like the cars were flying down the pit lane.

Going to keep this season, keen to build up a picture of what the sport was like then compared to now. I know a lot of people view this era as being superior to current day F1.
    Pit lane was 120 then reduced to 80 in the mid 2000's. I've been watching classic f1 on youtube and another thing I forgot was how you used to be able to release cars in front of others in the pit lane without risk of unsafe release penalties

I watched the 2001 canada race last night, and agree with the overtaking or lack thereof comment. The only overtake was done by the pit stops and schumi/ferrari were masters at it!

It's clear to me that in 2000 ferrari did not have the best car, and it was a toss up between williams and ferrari for second best behind mclaren in 2001- depending on how the tyres suited the track

I watched 4 full races including buildup on saturday, "old" F1 (ie late 90's early 2000's - which was when I became super interested, from '95-'96 on) is like a different formula to now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mercedes to pull out of F1 immediately. More to follow...

Mercedes to pull out of F1 immediately. More to follow...
    F00k off with your april fools.
    We've had no f1 for ages :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭This is it

Ugh. Went googling /facepalm

This is it wrote: »
    Ugh. Went googling /facepalm
    Same, for a second or two anyway

Yeah. And Vettel retired with Hamilton to replace him at ferrari

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-sebastian-vettel-announces-shock-retirement-from-f1-as-lewis-hamilton-drops-a-major-hint/

I think I'll start reading news at the bottom to check for April fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/04/01/ron-dennis-and-eddie-jordan-to-head-porsche-f1-return/

"RON DENNIS AND EDDIE JORDAN TO HEAD PORSCHE F1 RETURN"

More April Fools, could you imagine if that happened? :)

• Advertisement

It's past 12midday now anyway so the april fools is ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Cool_CM wrote: »
    https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/04/01/ron-dennis-and-eddie-jordan-to-head-porsche-f1-return/

Would love to see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, how are the Channel 4 team holding up?
    https://twitter.com/C4F1/status/1245292571825451009?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

That would make a great Drive to Survive episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Looks like Bernie is enjoying his retirement - German press reporting that he's about to become a father again at the ripe old age of 89:

https://www.morgenpost.de/vermischtes/article228836385/Bernie-Ecclestone-soll-erneut-Vater-werden-mit-89-Jahren.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

No way he’s all natural at that age. Blue pills all the way for young Bernard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Looks like Bernie is enjoying his retirement - German press reporting that he's about to become a father again at the ripe old age of 89:

https://www.morgenpost.de/vermischtes/article228836385/Bernie-Ecclestone-soll-erneut-Vater-werden-mit-89-Jahren.html

Hes quoted as saying, since retiring hes had plenty of time to practice

Is Tamara married off yet? Her inheritance is about to take a hit.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

F1 eSports race on Sunday at 8pm. Norris, Russel, Albon, latifi, leClerc and Button all signed up so far

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

antodeco wrote: »
    F1 eSports race on Sunday at 8pm. Norris, Russel, Albon, latifi, leClerc and Button all signed up so far

Is it just me or is this watching people play computers games utterly pointless I am glad Bernie is off throwing his leg over some young one because this is certainly not motorsports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not sure about this computer game stuff either but I suppose it will keep some amused.

As for Bernie not only is it not motorsport but it's just not cricket.

She's young enough to be his grand daughter and she's 44.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this watching people play computers games utterly pointless I am glad Bernie is off throwing his leg over some young one because this is certainly not motorsports.

As opposed to watching people drive round in circles in real life, or kicking a ball around? Sports are pointless by definition.

If you don't like eSports the solution is simple, don't watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Today 14:00 is a rerun of Monaco 1996 on F1 page, YouTube and Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harika wrote: »

Am I right in thinking this is the original more extreme version of the 2019 German Grand Prix?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking this is the original more extreme version of the 2019 German Grand Prix?

The top 3 were the only ones to cross the line, Frentzen pulled into the pits on the last lap and was classified 4th, Salo,Irvine & Hakkinen had a pile up a few laps from the flag but were classified. Everyone else retired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The top 3 were the only ones to cross the line, Frentzen pulled into the pits on the last lap and was classified 4th, Salo,Irvine & Hakkinen had a pile up a few laps from the flag but were classified. Everyone else retired

And Coulthard raced in Schumacher's spare helmet

And Coulthard raced in Schumacher's spare helmet

I wonder would such a move be permitted today. Coulthard was actually allowed keep it, it’s in his museum in Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its not starting until 15:00 now which suits me better anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Purposely haven't looked up anything about this race, the rain should be fun :D

Max's old man doesn't make it past turn one

I wonder would such a move be permitted today. Coulthard was actually allowed keep it, it’s in his museum in Scotland

Don't know if it'd be possible any more. Helmets are much more moulded to the driver than they used to be.

Ms

Don't know if it'd be possible any more. Helmets are much more moulded to the driver than they used to be.

Its better that way and safer no doubt. I doubt any driver could use another drivers helmet now.
    I wonder how hey are all dong.
    Has Lewis but anything interesting up on his Twitter lately or are they all been super quiet and just getting through this time?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Harika wrote: »

Really enjoyed it that race. Lots of drama and apart from a small bit before the pit stops which is slightly boring the rest of the race is exciting even with a limited amount of overtaking. One thing it highlighted was how bad Jonathan Palmer was as a commentator. Thankfully Brundle started the season after.

Funny how his son now does the same for BBC Radio and the F1 youtube channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I really enjoyed it aswell. Nice way to spend the afternoon. Hope they do it regularly.

• Advertisement

Both Palmer’s were terrible racers and now terrible commentators. Jonathan should have remained a doctor, only got his commentary break due to James Hunt’s death. Wasn’t it 1995 that Brundle also commentated on a few races with the BBC when he and Aguri Suzuki shared the second Ligier seat?

Wasn’t it 1995 that Brundle also commentated on a few races with the BBC when he and Aguri Suzuki shared the second Ligier seat?

I think so.

Brundle's son Alex also does done commentating with Radio Le Mans, particularly when he wasn't able to drive for a while due to illness. He's very good.

Ms

So who here thinks we will get any races at all this year? I here Silverstone are saying they would be a happy to host multiple races as they have lots of different track layouts but I don't see any races happening until next year. If a race did happen this year it would be without spectators.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So who here thinks we will get any races at all this year? I here Silverstone are saying they would be a happy to host multiple races as they have lots of different track layouts but I don't see any races happening until next year. If a race did happen this year it would be without spectators.

Yeah defiantly without spectators. I wonder how viable most sports would be without gate receipts.

Maybe the fact that there are so few sports events means the ones that actually go ahead will have greater TV viewers and could command additional fees from Sky. But in reality, I'd say most sport is gone for this year at least.

It's funny how quickly it becomes clear that there will be no spectators at an f1 event for a while. The idea of people coming from all over Europe to camp at Silverstone and mingle and sneeze in each other's faces for the weekend, then all fly back to wherever they came from, is totally unthinkable right now.

Ms

I see that SkysportMix have the Virtual Vietnam Grand Prix on at 8pm this evening.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have a ticket for Zandvoort. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Trampas

They need to up the rules a little in esports. To much banging no damage on its pointless. Make them drive a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

It's funny how quickly it becomes clear that there will be no spectators at an f1 event for a while. The idea of people coming from all over Europe to camp at Silverstone and mingle and sneeze in each other's faces for the weekend, then all fly back to wherever they came from, is totally unthinkable right now.

Yea should be cancelled soon I'd say, I have tickets for Silverstone and Monza :(

Yea should be cancelled soon I'd say, I have tickets for Silverstone and Monza :(

Yeah I'd say you're right. Presumably they'll honour the tickets next year or whenever the event goes ahead and is open to foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'm surprised it was possible in the first place, with Coulthard's cube shaped head :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement