Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Itssoeasy wrote: »

A video of the newly revamped circuit for the Dutch Grand Prix which is making its return after a gap of 35 years. It's certainly been freshened up and looks like the track itself was relaid. When it was rumoured the Grand Prix might be coming back I did find a lap video of the track and if they've not altered the track hugely it's going to be a track old school fans will like.

The 1980s vibes are strong with this one! (probably aided by the music as well). I'm not thrilled there's going to be a Verstappenland Dutch GP, but the track it definitely old style - and the banking looks like something out of these Carrera/Scalectrix/Polistil slot car kit most of us surely played with as kids - 1985 me likes it :D.

PS. I hope I'm not the only one who gets super-annoyed at the wrong lines the driver takes in that clip...I know it's a track demo clips...but...but...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Did drive to survive mention Charlie Whiting at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

After I posted that video I did think about the banking which apparently is 18 % and maybe it's just me but my mind went back to a certain GP in 2005 where banking made it a farce of a race. I mean the US GP of that year. I assume perreli have learned the lessons of that race and tyres will be made to cope with the banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

After I posted that video I did think about the banking which apparently is 18 % and maybe it's just me but my mind went back to a certain GP in 2005 where banking made it a farce of a race. I mean the US GP of that year. I assume perreli have learned the lessons of that race and tyres will be made to cope with the banking.

Michelin were the ones who had the problem that day, Bridgestone didn’t. Pirelli weren’t part of the series again until 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They had Zandvoort specific tyres tested during the Barcelona tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Did drive to survive mention Charlie Whiting at all?

I don't think he was. Alfa Romeo and Racing Point barely got a mention either.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Set the video playback at 2x and it looks a bit better!

Michelin were the ones who had the problem that day, Bridgestone didn’t. Pirelli weren’t part of the series again until 2011.

I did that in a rush earlier. Obviously I meant to say that perreli hopefully have
    Learnt from the sins of 2005.

I did that in a rush earlier. Obviously I meant to say that perreli hopefully have
    Learnt from the sins of 2005.

It might have played a part in Michelin pulling out, privately that is, they left at the end of 2006. It was a lesson for F1 due to the farce it became, but a lesson for tyre suppliers not to allow it happen again. Bridgestone got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Two problems I have with Drive to Survive; Will Buxton comes across as a right smarmy git, trying to deliver every word he says with extra drama, he just annoys me when he speaks.

And they have edited the living bejesus out of it, distorting the reality in order to 'drama' it up. Case in point; Monaco Grand Prix, no mention of the 5 second penalty Verstappen had or the fact Mercedes sent Hamilton out on the wrong tyres. Verstappen's desperate lunge into the Nouvelle chicane occurred on the third last lap yet Netflix decided to portray it as though it happened on the final lap. Because, you know; "drama".

I can't take it seriously because there are too many instances where I stop and say to myself "Hang on a sec, that's not quite how that happened, you've left out some fairly important context here" etc.

That's my own fault though for having expectations on it to be closer to a documentary, they key to Drive to Survive is not to take it too seriously and realise it's a drama based on real life events.

But seriously, Will Buxton; I'd say he will be devastated when the Oscar/Academy award nominations don't start rolling in. (I realise I could be being really harsh on the guy but he just really rubs me up the wrong way pretty much any time he's on screen.)

Edit; Also; I think they gave that Rich Energy nut-job a very easy ride.

Buxton comes across as a bit of a knob alright, wouldn't be a Paddy Lowe fan myself but when he got the bullet from William's Buxton looked so happy and the way he says bye bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The F1 teams are not happy with Ferrari and the undisclosed settlement. Linky
    "We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit.

An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.

After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.

Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally. We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.

In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.

McLaren Racing Limited
    Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited
    Racing Point UK Limited
    Red Bull Racing Limited
    Renault Sport Racing Limited
    Scuderia Alpha Tauri S.p.A.
    Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited "

Strangely enough, the Ferrari-powered teams of Haas and Alfa didn't sign it :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The 1980s vibes are strong with this one! (probably aided by the music as well). I'm not thrilled there's going to be a Verstappenland Dutch GP,

Yeah ... god forbid people enjoying themselves at a F1 GP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

astrofluff wrote: »

Strangely enough, the Ferrari-powered teams of Haas and Alfa didn't sign it :rolleyes:

Those 7 teams should refuse to start in Melbourne, That is the only proper way to make a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Will Buxton comes across as a right smarmy git, trying to deliver every word he says with extra drama, he just annoys me when he speaks.

I am another who does not like Will Buxton and have to say its hard to watch it when he is there commenting. 1st season was done much better and I am only on the 2nd episode lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

weisses wrote: »
    Those 7 teams should refuse to start in Melbourne, That is the only proper way to make a statement.

USGP 2005 all over again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    Will Buxton comes across as a right smarmy git, trying to deliver every word he says with extra drama, he just annoys me when he speaks.

I am another who does not like Will Buxton and have to say its hard to watch it when he is there commenting. 1st season was done much better and I am only on the 2nd episode lol.

It's so noticeable when he looks away from the camera into the dramatic distance after every few words I have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

astrofluff wrote: »

What is so strange about that?

Did the "rolls eyes" sarcasm not capture the essence of the statement?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

vectra wrote: »
    What is so strange about that?
    9bd76702c805ca03848e0a6b21f15fc5.jpg

So as we don't have to change the speed and be uncomfortable about the lines they were taking as the Dutch track above. Here's max Verstappen doing a lap and it's like night and day. This will a fast race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The circuit's got a nicer and more natural flow to it than all the newer modern circuits. But I still think it could use with an extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The circuit's got a nicer and more natural flow to it than all the newer modern circuits. But I still think it could use with an extension.

Old school track - it's been modified over the years but the basics remained. None of the "let's put a hairpin here and there" Tilke malarkey.

What's sort of fascinating is where the track is - bang on in a 16k inhabitants seaside town - imagine a Grand Prix circuit being, say, near Bray (actually, Bray is like twice the size of Zandvoort, so let's hope guys :D ).

Traffic will be interesting - no wonder Red Bull and Toro Rosso (well, Alpha Tauri) had asked to be...allowed to use the beach to get to the track (I suppose with 4x4s, not Normandy landing style assault boats...)

That banking, wow. So if anyone let's the back end go, it'll be a hefty hit into the barrier. Will they'll put in some tecpro barrier there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The FIA have released a statement of the Ferrari agreement

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-following-communication-seven-formula-1-teams

Basically Ferrari said they hadn't breached anything and the FIA wasn't fully convinced, but decided that it would be pretty hard to prove even with a lengthy investigation.

Wonder how that will go down

OSI wrote: »
    A 1 minute 20 in a demo car on a filming day, hard tyres, no set up dialled in and fresh tarmac. So probably be Red Bull Ring style sub 1 minute 10 lap times come race weekend.

It might be the camera's field of view but the track looks overly tight. I don't see very many places that you would be comfortable seeing 2 F1 cars hurtling towards side by side at 300+ KM/H

Track is pretty short too, actually a few meters shorter than the Red Bull ring; I was initially thinking times might even dip under the minute, but on a second look I don't think so - the RB Ring is actually the 4th fastest track on the calendar after Monza (by a long stretch), Silverstone and Spa, with the pole lap exceeding 246 Km/h of average speed.

Overtaking might actually be an issue - on only for the width, but the fact there's really only one suitable straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Red Bull are threatening to sue the FIA over lost prize money and performance related bonuses. This could get messy! How the hell did Ferrari get to keep their veto too.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    The FIA have released a statement of the Ferrari agreement

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-following-communication-seven-formula-1-teams

Basically Ferrari said they hadn't breached anything and the FIA wasn't fully convinced, but decided that it would be pretty hard to prove even with a lengthy investigation.

Wonder how that will go down

This is very Ferrari. And this really equates to what Ferrari does with a lot of things. For argument's sake, let's say they don't advertise cigarettes, but we know they do, but could we be arsed connecting the dots, so just get them to say publicly they're not advertising and won't advertise cigarettes on their cars :D

On this, they have an engine, they're utilising it 'outside' the 'spirit' of the regulations, but they can't wholly prove it but have asked them not to do it. I'm sure Ferrari have agreed not to do it (although it's difficult to prove it if they will adhere to it).

recyclebin wrote: »
    Red Bull are threatening to sue the FIA over lost prize money and performance related bonuses. This could get messy! How the hell did Ferrari get to keep their veto too.

So what red bull want is Ferrari thrown out of the 2019 championship retrospectively?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

recyclebin wrote: »

Lol. So Red Bull think they might have done better if Ferrari had not cheated and that is only if Ferrari did cheat which no one can prove.

I do not think Ferrari cheated. They worked hard and found some extra performance in the engine. Would people prefer Ferrari were not competitive with Mercedes now and Mercedes run away with it again and again until they get bored and leave F1?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement