Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

vectra wrote: »
    Ferrari in the clear with their "cheating" engine as Max stated..:cool:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-engine-legal/

Even as a Ferrari fan, you have to acknowledge that that has dodgy written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Even as a Ferrari fan, you have to acknowledge that that has dodgy written all over it.

I wouldn't be a Ferrari fan myself, but why would you say that?

I wouldn't be a Ferrari fan myself, but why would you say that?

It's the wording from the FIA that doesn't sit right. All it says is that they have completed their analysis, that they have reached "a settlement" and that they won't be making the details public. Most importantly, though, it doesn't actually specify if it was legal or not and I think that that's going to rub a lot of people up the wrong way.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-concludes-analysis-scuderia-ferrari-formula-1-power-unit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Ferrari in the clear with their "cheating" engine as Max stated..:cool:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-engine-legal/

They reached a settlement...:rolleyes: where in that piece you quoted does it say the team did nothing wrong

Max was onto something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't know if fuel flow had anything to do with it but I never agreed with the idea of trying to control a max fuel flow to the engine. Surely it would have been much more interesting if they just left it to total race fuel allowance and let them burn it however they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was hoping it was Fleetwood Mac The Chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

France bans gathering of more than 5000 people, Vietnam and Bahrain on shaky ground, could become a very empty calendar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pjohnson wrote: »
    I was hoping it was Fleetwood Mac The Chain.

They used that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cool_CM wrote: »
    It's the wording from the FIA that doesn't sit right. All it says is that they have completed their analysis, that they have reached "a settlement" and that they won't be making the details public. Most importantly, though, it doesn't actually specify if it was legal or not and I think that that's going to rub a lot of people up the wrong way.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-concludes-analysis-scuderia-ferrari-formula-1-power-unit

I guess the settlement might have been along the lines of the FIA not making public what Ferrari were actually doing as it would be of benefit to other teams, in return for Ferrari agreeing to run an extra sensor?
    weisses wrote: »
    They reached a settlement...:rolleyes: where in that piece you quoted does it say the team did nothing wrong

Max was onto something ;)

It would be more in Max's benefit to concentrate on his own job,
    What would he even have a clue about what Ferrari or any other team for that matter be doing?
    He is not an engineer.
    Maybe the FIA should have a look at the Honda engine, You must admit they came from nowhere for the past few years to out dragging Hamilton's Merc uphill to the finish line in Brazil.
    Makes you wonder.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I guess the settlement might have been along the lines of the FIA not making public what Ferrari were actually doing as it would be of benefit to other teams, in return for Ferrari agreeing to run an extra sensor?

You are not an engineer ...Keep guessing ?

Statements from the other 9 teams
    Naturally, this infuriated the remaining 9 F1 teams Formula 1 teams, who were hoping for a stricter punishment. In light of this, they will be thinking about the next step.

The teams were unhappy with such an unsatisfactory and opaque decision. However, they have yet to give an official reaction to the controversial verdict, though some responded anonymously.

Their gripe was that the FIA have just brushed the investigation under the carpet. Unfortunately for Ferrari’s rivals, they still have no idea whether the team’s 2019 engine was legal or not.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-formula-one-teams-left-furious-after-fias-settlement-with-ferrari-f1/
    It would be more in Max's benefit to concentrate on his own job,
    What would he even have a clue about what Ferrari or any other team for that matter be doing?
    He is not an engineer.

It might come as a surprise but there are a whole bunch of engineers working around him, They knew more about what ferrari was up to then you and me, I would be more surprised a top driver not knowing what is going on around them ... Or do you think Max was the only one wondering how ferrari got such a straight line advantage all of a sudden ?

Max just said what many, many others were thinking.
    Maybe the FIA should have a look at the Honda engine, You must admit they came from nowhere for the past few years to out dragging Hamilton's Merc uphill to the finish line in Brazil.
    Makes you wonder.:rolleyes:

Already done last year :D
    As a result, the FIA has seized engine parts in Sao Paulo, firstly an engine built in Maranello, then a twin engine supplied to Alfa Romeo and on a third engine, namely a Honda power unit (Red Bull or Toro Rosso).

https://thejudge13.com/2019/11/21/details-on-fias-ferrari-investigation-on-fuel-cheating-now-include-honda

• Advertisement

That could very well be the case - but it's still possible not to make public what they were doing and, at the same time, state that they are satisfied that it was legal. The fact that they haven't said it explicitly and are concentrating more on Ferrari having agreed to some technical commitments going forward gives the impression that everything might not have been above board.

Ferrari is looking for confirmation from the Australian that their staff is not getting quarantined when entering Australia. Might have to pull out all together.
    Alfa and Tauri will be watching this closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

flazio wrote: »
    It makes me feel so old to think there's people on this thread who wouldn't know that.

There's also a similar montage in the movie "Driven" using the same exact song. Again, feeling super old etc. :D

Harika wrote: »
    Ferrari is looking for confirmation from the Australian that their staff is not getting quarantined when entering Australia. Might have to pull out all together.
    Alfa and Tauri will be watching this closely.

MotoGP race in Qatar has been cancelled, because Corona. Ducati and Aprilia would not be able to take part. Melbourne is getting shaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Drive to Survive, I've watched 6 episodes so far. Gunther is so entertaining to watch. The Alex Albon and Spa weekend episode was a tough watch.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

MotoGP race in Qatar has been cancelled, because Corona. Ducati and Aprilia would not be able to take part. Melbourne is getting shaky.

That would be very bad if they don't even get to start the season. Has that ever happened before? I don't think it has and certainly don't remember that ever happening but could be wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It could be very messy. I'll be honest I had just assumed the Australian Grand Prix would be grand and it was further into the season where the problems would start. And in my stupid brain I'd forgotten that there are teams coming from Italy who may be impacted even to the point of not be there.

AMKC wrote: »
    That would be very bad if they don't even get to start the season. Has that ever happened before? I don't think it has and certainly don't remember that ever happening but could be wrong.

2011 the Bahrain race was postponed because of civil unrest, would have been the season start.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It could be very messy. I'll be honest I had just assumed the Australian Grand Prix would be grand and it was further into the season where the problems would start. And in my stupid brain I'd forgotten that there are teams coming from Italy who may be impacted even to the point of not be there.

It only started 1-2 weeks ago, UK is also hit, just a matter of time until it reaches the F1 Teams stationed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It only started 1-2 weeks ago, UK is also hit, just a matter of time until it reaches the F1 Teams stationed there.
    Get all the teams to relocate to North Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Been looking at this map of cironavirus affected areas. 7 in Melbourne with 3 recovered. Not much of an issue there. But when you look at Bahrain, that's 41 infected and none recovered just yet meaning it's in its initial phase. I'd say the powers that be will be keeping an eye on how that develops.

Oz and Bahrain are back to back weekends. Vietnam is two weeks after at the start of April, then China was supposed to be mid April.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

People from highly infected areas going into areas with few infected people is a no no. Authorities won't let them in. Hello Italy with 1128 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

People from highly infected areas going into areas with few infected people is a no no. Authorities won't let them in. Hello Italy with 1128 cases

1,696 since earleir today, easily heading for 10k-20k by Melbourne at the current rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Watched drive to survive the other week and binged season 2 on Friday. Started playing F1 2019 on PC and F1 Manager on mobile.

I'm tusk, and I'm an addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Thought season 1 was better than 2 because it focused more on the smaller teams, as far as I know Ferrari and Mercedes opted out, but they're both excellent.

Really hoping Australia goes ahead, watching that really got me in the mood.

On another note, I hadn't realised just how good Sainz had performed in 2019 until I watched the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

This is it wrote: »
    Thought season 1 was better than 2

Yeah was only saying this to a mate.

Season 2 didn't have me as invested as 1. Felt like the way they structured it was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A video of the newly revamped circuit for the Dutch Grand Prix which is making its return after a gap of 35 years. It's certainly been freshened up and looks like the track itself was relaid. When it was rumoured the Grand Prix might be coming back I did find a lap video of the track and if they've not altered the track hugely it's going to be a track old school fans will like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ I like the banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Two problems I have with Drive to Survive; Will Buxton comes across as a right smarmy git, trying to deliver every word he says with extra drama, he just annoys me when he speaks.

And they have edited the living bejesus out of it, distorting the reality in order to 'drama' it up. Case in point; Monaco Grand Prix, no mention of the 5 second penalty Verstappen had or the fact Mercedes sent Hamilton out on the wrong tyres. Verstappen's desperate lunge into the Nouvelle chicane occurred on the third last lap yet Netflix decided to portray it as though it happened on the final lap. Because, you know; "drama".

I can't take it seriously because there are too many instances where I stop and say to myself "Hang on a sec, that's not quite how that happened, you've left out some fairly important context here" etc.

That's my own fault though for having expectations on it to be closer to a documentary, they key to Drive to Survive is not to take it too seriously and realise it's a drama based on real life events.

But seriously, Will Buxton; I'd say he will be devastated when the Oscar/Academy award nominations don't start rolling in. (I realise I could be being really harsh on the guy but he just really rubs me up the wrong way pretty much any time he's on screen.)

Edit; Also; I think they gave that Rich Energy nut-job a very easy ride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think you will find that if they made the documentary exactly as to how the season actually went, people would be bored to tears.

I thought it was very good. People who wouldn't usually watch the sport get enthused by watching the series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement