Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Season 2 is live and released. Thats my weekend sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yeah, pretty sure that's always the case in testing. Not sure if it's a regulation restriction or a logistical one.

Fairly sure it was a rule brought in a few years ago along with the testing day restrictions - although I didn't manage to find where it specifically restricts running to one car.

moving to the track, here's an interesting one from this morning:
    10:58 Leclerc takes over top spot with a 1m16.457s, despite being some 30km/h down in the speedtrap on Raikkonen in the Ferrari-powered Alfar Romeo.

Either Wolff is right and Ferrari are running the engine massively detuned, or they had a calamitous boo boo when designing the car for downforce and came up with a brick wall in terms of resistance. Knowing Ferrari, the second one can't be completely dismissed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Morning Results
    1 Ricciardo Renault 1m16.276s
    2 Leclerc Ferrari 1m16.360s
    3 Hamilton Mercedes 1m16.410s
    4 Perez Racing Point 1m16.658s
    5 Sainz McLaren 1m16.820s
    6 Russell Williams 1m16.871s
    7 Kvyat AlphaTauri 1m16.914s
    8 Grosjean Haas 1m17.037s
    9 Raikkonen Alfa Romeo 1m17.415s
    10 Albon Red Bull 1m17.803s

No Idea what it means as they are all at games . but nice to see Renault that the top for a session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Joeface wrote: »
    Morning Results
    1 Ricciardo Renault 1m16.276s
    2 Leclerc Ferrari 1m16.360s
    3 Hamilton Mercedes 1m16.410s
    4 Perez Racing Point 1m16.658s
    5 Sainz McLaren 1m16.820s
    6 Russell Williams 1m16.871s
    7 Kvyat AlphaTauri 1m16.914s
    8 Grosjean Haas 1m17.037s
    9 Raikkonen Alfa Romeo 1m17.415s
    10 Albon Red Bull 1m17.803s

No Idea what it means as they are all at games . but nice to see Renault that the top for a session

If the Racing Point is deemed legal i can see them getting in amongst the top 3 on a semi regular basis provided this form continues, it'll be Perez rather than Stroll leading the charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If the Racing Point is deemed legal i can see them getting in amongst the top 3 on a semi regular basis provided this form continues, it'll be Perez rather than Stroll leading the charge though.

Could be exciting races as Stroll tries to move through the grid. Perez will be amongst the top with Stroll with Renault and McLaren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

pjohnson wrote: »
    Could be exciting races as Stroll tries to move through the grid. Perez will be amongst the top with Stroll with Renault and McLaren.

I could be wrong but bar top three teams starting at the back , Stroll was one of the drivers to always Gain places at the start of races last season. Seems to be good at that. Better car under him he might be able hold onto those places.

edit : after 12 races last year
    https://f1bythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/n_gained_12_races.svg

Joeface wrote: »
    I could be wrong but bar top three teams starting at the back , Stroll was one of the drivers to always Gain places at the start of races last season. Seems to be good at that. Better car under him he might be able hold onto those places.

edit : after 12 races last year
    https://f1bythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/n_gained_12_races.svg
    Oh yeah Stroll moves through the grid very well and has brilliant starts, his onboard start is always worth a watch. He is just absolutely abysmal at qualifying.

Actually thinking if this might be one of the shorter seasons the way this virus is spreading. A lot more than China will go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Season 2 is live and released. Thats my weekend sorted.
    saw that which is a nice little refresher for the upcoming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Actually thinking if this might be one of the shorter seasons the way this virus is spreading. A lot more than China will go yet.
    Hopefully you're wrong :)

• Advertisement

It will certainly be the most disjointed one in recent times. I said that imola put in to replace the Chinese GP(if only we knew what was coming down the track) but that seems doubtful as does monza depending on how the virus spreads as monza is very northern Italy whereas imola is near San Marino(why it held that GP) which is north but not really north. I think it's a play it by ear season. I hope it's not that way but it might be and we may see races with empty grandstands if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Watching the last few minutes of testing. Cloudy day in Barcelona. Roll on Melbourne :)

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It will certainly be the most disjointed one in recent times. I said that imola put in to replace the Chinese GP(if only we knew what was coming down the track) but that seems doubtful as does monza depending on how the virus spreads as monza is very northern Italy whereas imola is near San Marino(why it held that GP) which is north but not really north. I think it's a play it by ear season. I hope it's not that way but it might be and we may see races with empty grandstands if needed.

Forget the grandstands depending on transport allowances/quarantije the drivers themeselves mightnt get around the world.

Christian Lundgaard (Renault Junior and F2 Driver) is quarantined in his Tenerife Hotel and cant attend this weeks F2 Test.

With the weather the way it'll be this weekend that Netflix F1 behind the scenes show will come in handy. If this season 2 is as good as the first one then it'll be very enjoyable. I presume they will cover Niki Laudas death and hopefully the vettell Montreal carry on where he was shafted in my opinion with the penalty he got. Others will and did at the time disagree with that but sure lookit isn't that life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

With the weather the way it'll be this weekend that Netflix F1 behind the scenes show will come in handy. If this season 2 is as good as the first one then it'll be very enjoyable. I presume they will cover Niki Laudas death and hopefully the vettell Montreal carry on where he was shafted in my opinion with the penalty he got. Others will and did at the time disagree with that but sure lookit isn't that life ?

I totally agree with you on it. That should have been Vettel's win.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Make sure to download it to a device in case the power goes.

flazio wrote: »
    Make sure to download it to a device in case the power goes.

Ah sure It'll grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is season 1 of the Netflix show available elsewhere. I've not seen any of it and I think I'm missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Watching season 2 now, it's a fantastic show it must be said

Ikozma wrote: »
    Watching season 2 now, it's a fantastic show it must be said

I hope there is more of the haas team principal as he was great sport in season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

I hope there is more of the haas team principal as he was great sport in season 1.

First 2 episodes is full of him going mad or taking the p1ss,id happily watch a spin off of just him :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mickdw wrote: »
    Is season 1 of the Netflix show available elsewhere. I've not seen any of it and I think I'm missing out.

Not sure. I could not find it online anywhere last year but managed to catch it on Netflix in my sisters house while minding her dogs for her.
    It is a good watch. Maybe it will be on DVD.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Dozyart wrote: »
    First 2 episodes is full of him going mad or taking the p1ss,id happily watch a spin off of just him :pac: :pac:

He was brilliant. "Bunch of ****" and other gems I remember. Would I need to rewatch the last episode of the first season again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Would I need to rewatch the last episode of the first season again ?

Ya definitely to get that cliffhanger in the series finale. They do a time jump then with season 2 starting a few months after the end of season 1.

So Sky Sports have launched a new promotion for their coverage and there's something familiar about the music they're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So Sky Sports have launched a new promotion for their coverage and there's something familiar about the music they're using.

Ugh. If they'd used that song for the 2001 season then even by then it would've been overused.

RTE used that as their intro in 1999, the song was released in late 1998

RTE used that as their intro in 1999, the song was released in late 1998

It makes me feel so old to think there's people on this thread who wouldn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ferrari in the clear with their "cheating" engine as Max stated..:cool:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-engine-legal/

• Advertisement

It makes me feel so old to think there's people on this thread who wouldn't know that.

People who weren't even born at that! I feel old myself even thinking of it :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement