Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Will Buxton on the F1 Youtube channel says it's Taw-ree, not Tau-ree as he says about 18 mins into the Paddock Pass video posted last night

I've been thinking it should sound similar to how you say Taurus, but if the Italian fashionistas say it a different way then so be it!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well no not yet but the owners of the track have applied to replace China for this year. I mean a couple of years ago it was supposed to be back but monza sorted out a deal(which I'm happy about btw) and the track is certified to hold an F1 race so why not ?

The final two races at Imola were epic!, I’m sure we’re all old enough here to remember the Alonso/Schumacher duels not to mention ITV infamously taking an ad break during the final 3 laps in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Only time to do it is during the summer break in August?

Have tickets etc been sold for China? If it's replaced, what happens in that scenario with people who bought tickets?

Inviere wrote: »
    Have tickets etc been sold for China? If it's replaced, what happens in that scenario with people who bought tickets?

I’d imagine as it was only 2 months out the tickets were fully sold. Refunds are more likely than a reschedule. Also the FIA will still expect their cheque in the post, albeit at a reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement

I miss the sound of the naturally aspirated engine, but the Ferrari V12 singing is something you can’t better!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inviere wrote: »

I seen someone saying as much on Reddit the other day...that Merc are happy to have all eyes on the DAS system now, and nobody is paying attention to the rest of the car.

Well, you and I might be paying attention to the DAS but I imagine the teams are looking at everything they can see on the car. That’s their job.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I miss the sound of the naturally aspirated engine, but the Ferrari V12 singing is something you can’t better!

I had the enjoyment of sitting in a McLaren MP4-26 a long time ago. Engine on and electronically started and revved. Lets just say, earplugs and helmet, didnt get remotely block out the sound. Also, the vibration from the engine was like someone ringing your heart when its on vibrate!

On a side note to the sound, something that we dont appreciate enough, is the move to HD etc and what its done for sports, and especially F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

antodeco wrote: »
    I had the enjoyment of sitting in a McLaren MP4-26 a long time ago. Engine on and electronically started and revved. Lets just say, earplugs and helmet, didnt get remotely block out the sound. Also, the vibration from the engine was like someone ringing your heart when its on vibrate!

On a side note to the sound, something that we dont appreciate enough, is the move to HD etc and what its done for sports, and especially F1.

Sitting in the car, helmet & all, without taking her out for a spin? That's some S-Level teasing!

As for sound, can't agree more - it still doesn't come through from the TV, not at all. I've posted this in my report last year - you can "feel" the cars trackside, even with turbo engines, especially when they accelerate from lower revs.

Funny enough I think the move to widescreen has made the cars look slower. In 4:3 the camera needs to move quickly to keep up and a car flashing past a stationary camera happens more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Sitting in the car, helmet & all, without taking her out for a spin? That's some S-Level teasing!

As for sound, can't agree more - it still doesn't come through from the TV, not at all. I've posted this in my report last year - you can "feel" the cars trackside, even with turbo engines, especially when they accelerate from lower revs.

Ah jesus, Id have that car wrapped around a fence in 10 seconds, but would be the best 10 seconds of my life haha.

Yeah even in the new era, the low bass rumble does vibrate into you. I remember my first f1 race I went to. I wasnt expecting how stupidly loud the cars were (in a good way!). If you didnt have earplugs in, you'd be sorry. Ive enjoyed testing this year. The engines seems a little louder, but that could just be better microphone pickups!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

The lack of noise is depressing, 1st time I heard one in the flesh 13 years ago made the hairs on my neck stand up.
    Haven't been to a race in hybrid era but cant imagine that aspect is as exciting anymore

Side by side here
    https://youtu.be/0WpFIY0sB54

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

g1983d wrote: »
    The lack of noise is depressing, 1st time I heard one in the flesh 13 years ago made the hairs on my neck stand up.
    Haven't been to a race in hybrid era but cant imagine that aspect is as exciting anymore

Side by side here
    https://youtu.be/0WpFIY0sB54

Go to a race, video/TV don't give even remotely the full feel of the current engines - a lot of the bass/rumble is cut out. You literally "feel" the engines vibrating as they go through. I've actually heard the two pretty much side-by-side live (GP2 still ran on V8s for a while when F1 moved to the turbos) - they're different, but both have their merits.

And if we want to nitpick, I don't get why everyone lusts about the V10s, when this existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K7h3bjfIPk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

I have to say if just for this season I hope that imola is successful and gets back on the calendar as a replacement for China which has been postponed. Hopefully the coronavirus is under control by next year but this year it looks bad.

I presume Imola can forget about replacing China for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Go to a race, video/TV don't give even remotely the full feel of the current engines - a lot of the bass/rumble is cut out. You literally "feel" the engines vibrating as they go through. I've actually heard the two pretty much side-by-side live (GP2 still ran on V8s for a while when F1 moved to the turbos) - they're different, but both have their merits.

And if we want to nitpick, I don't get why everyone lusts about the V10s, when this existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K7h3bjfIPk

Must get to another race alright, wasnt v10s in particular I was picking out, that was just the video I found on youtube.
    I guess it's a bit like comparing f1 drivers through the years, it's not possible because there are so many variables.
    I like the sound from the hybrids but the sheer brutal noise from the normally aspirated engines was something very exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Last pre-season test begins today until Friday. It will be live on Sky Sports F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wonder will Renault reveal the RS20 properly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Possible Renault and McLaren protest against the Pink Merc.
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-and-mclaren-could-protest-racing-point-rp20/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Last pre-season test begins today until Friday. It will be live on Sky Sports F1.

We should get a better picture of things this week hopefully.

Seems a lot closer this year, hopefully throughout the whole field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Looks like they sent Kubica out on a glory run with the softest tyres and low fuel to set fastest time this morning. It's hard to tell much else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

recyclebin wrote: »
    Looks like they sent Kubica out on a glory run with the softest tyres and low fuel to set fastest time this morning. It's hard to tell much else

Did the same with Raikkonen 2nd day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe he’s just the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Testing times are always an unreliable indicator, but I think it's safe to say that Williams are in much better shape than this time last year. No doubt they'll still be near the back, but hopefully they can at least mix it up with other backmarkers this year.

503977.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Fair point - Williams seem to be moving forwards. We'll know more during the first race weekend.

For comparison:

2019 fastest testing lap for Vettel on C5 tyre was 1:16.2, while George Russel achieved 1:18.1. So at the moment there's quite a good difference with them mixing around between people (not looking into too much, but at least they're not hanging two seconds off the pace).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is it too late to keep this year's rules for next year. I have a feeling the pack will all be bunched up closer this year and then be all spread out again next year with the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Ricciardo's showing off his purple helmet again, phnarr phnarr!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Is it too late to keep this year's rules for next year. I have a feeling the pack will all be bunched up closer this year and then be all spread out again next year with the new rules.

While they might be closer this year, its hard to imagine any team shifting more than 1/2 places in the rankings at the same time

2021 could see a shift in the teams at the top though, McLaren or Renault are capable of getting their sh1t together and mounting a challenge, whether they will ot not who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Quick question, are teams just using the 1 car between the drivers?
    Like Driver 1 in the AM takes the car and then Driver 2 takes the same car in the PM with them just swapping the driver number on the car is all???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

SquireD wrote: »
    Quick question, are teams just using the 1 car between the drivers?
    Like Driver 1 in the AM takes the car and then Driver 2 takes the same car in the PM with them just swapping the driver number on the car is all???

Yeah, pretty sure that's always the case in testing. Not sure if it's a regulation restriction or a logistical one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Everybody fast forwarding to the Mercedes German Grand Prix episode of Drive to Survive when it is released later? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement