Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-05-2019, 00:23   #16
Conchurl

The federation of county cork gun clubs are having the nargc down to give a talk on this topic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190510-102125__01.jpg (589.9 KB, 66 views)
Advertisement
18-05-2019, 16:17   #17
cavan shooter

Too much talking being done, need action now.
18-05-2019, 16:26   #18
Odelay

If I’m reading it right, the ban is for using lead over wetlands. I’d say only 20% is **** over wetlands.

People getting excited over very little. Totally overhyped. I don’t believe it’s the thin end of the wedge either, that argument is used in every change of law but is rarely the case.
18-05-2019, 16:47   #19
Eddie B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
If I’m reading it right, the ban is for using lead over wetlands. I’d say only 20% is **** over wetlands.

People getting excited over very little. Totally overhyped. I don’t believe it’s the thin end of the wedge either, that argument is used in every change of law but is rarely the case.
I don't think it's getting excited over very little. Firstly People who are in the same boat as myself having older guns are frankly screwed. Secondly, define "WETLANDS" in this country, during the winter period? Go on a days rough shooting, and you'll go from dry ditches, to wet boggy ground, to flooded fields all in the space of an hours walk.
(2) thanks from:
18-05-2019, 17:00   #20
cavan shooter

Its lead (full stop)

If you are lucky they might say over wetlands , wetland as defined by Ramsar. The ramsar definition is defined as
"areas of marsh, fen, peatland or water, whether natural or artificial, permanent or temporary, with water that is static or flowing, fresh, brackish or salt, including areas of marine water the depth of which at low tide does not exceed six metres.”

that by my calculation includes cavan and
leitrim fields in December
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-05-2019, 17:51   #21
cookimonster

Just some info for anyone thats unsure.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/atta...1&d=1558198162
(3) thanks from:
18-05-2019, 21:13   #22
Grizzly 45

Quote:

You need to read the proposed EU directive,as to what the EU classifies as wetland,then be very worried,as it could apply to most of Ireland.
These are the type of people we are going up against.
https://newsletter.echa.europa.eu/ho...ead-ammunition
The report in more detail
https://echa.europa.eu/documents/101...9-8c07c894fff7

From that report,the only 3 countries with no type of ban on lead shot in place.IRELAND.Poland,Greece... Guess who is going to get it in the neck on that folks???

What definition does the EU use for "wetland?Called the "Ramsar definition".

The definition used for defining the wetland is the following [1] “areas of marsh, fen, peatland or water, whether natural or artificial, permanent or temporary, with water that is static or flowing, fresh, brackish or salt, including areas of marine water the depth of which at low tide does not exceed six metres”.

The Ramsar definition of wetlands is a comprehensive and internationally recognised definition

So that basically covers every bog,and the foreshores as well as the lakes of Ireland.
(2) thanks from:
18-05-2019, 21:28   #23
cavan shooter

I note on Facebook lads are saying they will stock up on lead cartridges. I guess they missed the bit where it will be an offence to have lead cartridges in your possession
18-05-2019, 21:29   #24
solarwinds

And when all we have left is the full copper bullets for rifles they to will be banned as they are also toxic to aquatic life.
Advertisement
18-05-2019, 21:46   #25
grassroot1

Quote:

No I am afraid your not reading it right. This is a total ban on lead in ammunition.
The possession of lead cartridges will be an offence.
No lead bullets or shotgun cartridges.
Currently their is a ban on lead cartridges over wetlands in some countries this is not what we are facing we are facing a total ban on lead in shooting sports.
18-05-2019, 22:50   #26
JohnFitz2332

If this BS comes to pass, can we switch to copper plated ammunition and carry on?
18-05-2019, 23:19   #27
Grizzly 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavan shooter View Post
I note on Facebook lads are saying they will stock up on lead cartridges. I guess they missed the bit where it will be an offence to have lead cartridges in your possession
And who is going to go and check it???Mking laws is one thing,enforcing is another.
18-05-2019, 23:21   #28
Grizzly 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFitz2332 View Post
If this BS comes to pass, can we switch to copper plated ammunition and carry on?
If you can afford copper plated shotgun shells?BTW in some contries,possibly even here,steel shot or steel bullets"COULD" be considerd Armour piercing ammo under some legislation.
18-05-2019, 23:22   #29
JohnFitz2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
If you can afford copper plated shotgun shells?BTW in some contries,possibly even here,steel shot or steel bullets"COULD" be considerd Armour piercing ammo under some legislation.

Sorry, I meant rifle rounds.
Thanks from:
18-05-2019, 23:45   #30
grassroot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45
And who is going to go and check it???Mking laws is one thing,enforcing is another.

Npws rangers, gardai (wouldn't they love another reason to refuse a licence) and fcuk knows who else
Let's not let it get that far
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion