Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Given his longevity, in-ring skill, charisma and the ability to constantly adapt and reinvent himself, should Jericho be considered the best of all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

J. Marston wrote: »
    Given his longevity, in-ring skill, charisma and the ability to constantly adapt and reinvent himself, should Jericho be considered the best of all time?

Hes up there in the conversation for sure with promos/charisma but in ring is way overrated by people i mean he could be great but he was never like a shawn/bret in ring wise, In ring wise hes very simalr to hhh in that he could be great but he was just step below all time great in ring but again all this is always subjective

But entertainment wise hes the best thing in wrestling since AEW started

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

J. Marston wrote: »

I've been thinking about this a fair bit the last couple of years, and its hard to disagree. He's done it all, territories, all the top promotions, held the top championships, been relevant in every era he's taken part in. Is as good a face as he is a heel. When his career is done, he as to go down as the GOAT. Nobody has had the career Jericho has

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not just the traditional territories but Japan, Mexico and Europe too. Also technically main evented WrestleMania too which is a real honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He's certainly up there in the conversation but I doubt there will ever be a consensus greatest of all time wrestler because fans have different opinions and place different weight to different things. The only metric that MIGHT get us near one is how much money they drew during their career when they were champion which given that wrestling has been in front of money paying crowds for well over a century you'd have to adjust for inflation and all that carry on.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not just the traditional territories but Japan, Mexico and Europe too. Also technically main evented WrestleMania too which is a real honour.

Japan and Mexico would be considered traditional territories though as both the Mexican and Japanese flag were/are on the NWA title belt. But I get the point you're making though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don’t think so. They territories were the continental North American areas (essentially US and Canada) where champions would come in and tour around, then move on to the next one. Japan, Mexico and Australia were more international affiliates and gave World Titles their gravitas if a belt was defended there.

NWA_Professional_Wrestling_Territories.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don’t think so. They territories were the continental North American areas (essentially US and Canada) where champions would come in and tour around, then move on to the next one. Japan, Mexico and Australia were more international affiliates and gave World Titles their gravitas if a belt was defended there.

NWA_Professional_Wrestling_Territories.png

you sometimes forget how big the states is and you could be travelling hours in just the one state

I imagine a country like ours would only of had 1/2 touring wrestling companys if any around that time

The AWA wasn't an nwa territory but that map correctly shows the territories in North America but not all of them including the wwwf were members of the nwa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think the territory system in the States was a great thing in the sense that each one had its own culture and style, and this meant that wrestlers who worked several of them became more and more of a total package.

It's sad that this system, which gave so many greats, cannot come back, but bringing it back these days would amount to a contrivance. Wrestling territories weren't just borne from mutual agreement by the promoters. They also came about from the fact that things were much more regional in the States up until the 1980s. They had that whole affiliate station system which catered to local tastes, and air fare as a regular means of travel didn't come into the grasp of the working wrestler until the 1980s which meant feds were limited to running shows within a day's travel by car.

And even if you did try to have a territory system, all the wrestlers and fans have by now been raised on the WWE style, and it's only a version of that which they'd pursue, thereby taking all the diversity out, which is part of the point of territories. To be honest, I've never seen TNA, ROH, NWA et al and been impressed by the difference of style in which they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

PTH2009 wrote: »
    you sometimes forget how big the states is and you could be travelling hours in just the one state

I imagine a country like ours would only of had 1/2 touring wrestling companys if any around that time

Back then, didn't Finlay's dad run the only one in Ireland pretty much?

Yes the territories going away has robbed young wrestlers today of a very important aspect of pro wrestling which was the ability to learn on the job. I mean in the old days you had to pay your dues as they say and it wasn't just a phrase you had to. There are lots of stories of rookie wrestlers driving a carload of veterans around the territory and asking questions and just listening.

I will say one good thing that has changed is that fans know it's not real because to listen to some of the stories about fans and what they tried to do to wrestlers was insane. The mid south territory was a big one and had some rough towns in Louisiana and Oklahoma where being a heel could be detrimental to your health.

It'll be three years next month that jinder mahal became WWE champion. I know WWE hasn't been sunshine and rainbows recently but at least jinder mahal isn't WWE champion in 2020.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It'll be three years next month that jinder mahal became WWE champion. I know WWE hasn't been sunshine and rainbows recently but at least jinder mahal isn't WWE champion in 2020.

Hes supposeably coming back with a career changing gimmick but with the current situation gods knows what's happening now

The Raw after mania used to be the shock debuts/returns but as I said no idea what's going to happen in that regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Wouldn't call him the greatest of all time just to longevity.

Wouldn't put him in the same category as Hogan, The Rock, Stone Cold, Ric Flair, Macho Man, Shawn Micaheals, Brett Hart.

I would see him more in the lines of Triple H, Jake the Snake, Kurt Angle, Cena, Mick Foley, The ultimate warrior.

So last night I rewatched the money in the bank PPV from 2011(well I watched the opening video package and then Orton vs Christian and the punk vs cena) and I've watched part of the next raw. Maybe it's because the WWE TV now is so bland and boring that I'm enjoying it. There was still a bit of edge to it or maybe there is in comparison to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will the the longest-running weekly episodic television show come to an end in the coming weeks or at the very least have a blip in it continuation of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

So will the the longest-running weekly episodic television show come to an end in the coming weeks or at the very least have a blip in it continuation of weeks.

"Best of" shows for a month or some nonsense I assume, or PPV matches from the last year?

Yea best of shows will continue it for foreseeable future youd guess cant see USA or FOX not wanting even older matches on it

They wont but something like showing a match then get austin to interview the guys on zoom, skype or whatever kinda like E&C anatomy of a match on their podcast could break it up from just showing matches or moments

a massive big 4 weekend but way different that what we thought it would be but sure look **** all else to be doing and ill tune in

Love if Summerslam was the next big 4 weekend of Wrestling in August but its even iffy to see if that wil go ahead in its planned state

Survior Series all the way in November could actually be the next big 4 weekend with the way its going now

• Advertisement

I can’t imagine this ending well if it happened

https://twitter.com/mscharlottewwe/status/1246126760040644608?s=21

Enjoyed the untold episode on HBK vs Angle from mania 21. Great rivalry and match

2005 was a odd year for HBK with that programme and then the Hogan **** up at summerslam (reckon that could be an untold episode one day)

God I love that hogan vs hbk match

But did not know this match existed must watch now

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1246060119034650626?s=21

sky88 wrote: »
    I can’t imagine this ending well if it happened

https://twitter.com/mscharlottewwe/status/1246126760040644608?s=21

Can you behave ? I admire her wanted to engage with fans but asking a large amount of wrestling fans can they behave themselves is like asking is the pope a Protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know why I'm hearing it so often now, but I had to google to see what exactly Zoom is.
    And how can Charlotte be hosting it? Sure she's got a match. :pac:

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know why I'm hearing it so often now, but I had to google to see what exactly Zoom is.
    And how can Charlotte be hosting it? Sure she's got a match. :pac:

Yeah that horse is glue.

Anyway a big issue with wrestling today IMO is that fans don't care because the wrestlers don't care. As arn Anderson says there's a difference "between fans seeing you and caring about you"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Zoom the one that has been stealing everyone's details and selling it off to 3rd parties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

No that is Houseparty, Who deny it and have offered $1m to anyone who can prove they are doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think Zoom has had some of those charges thrown at them too though, some allegations they sold data to Facebook or something.
    Tbh kinda assume at this point that all of them are at it.

• Advertisement

Today is the 15th anniversary of wrestlemania 21 which was actually a really good mania. We had trish stratus being great as a heel. We had kurt angle vs Shawn Michaels which is amazing. We had the cena win and the culmination of the amazing batista and triple h storyline.

Advertisement