Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Shipping and customs ended up being about 30% on top of the price, which at $200 is pushing into ridiculous money

Its already a way better solution than my JPac plus other bits mess though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bit OT but got my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu blackbelt the other day.

Been at that and collecting retro shite for well over a decade now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Christ JB, fair dues, that's some achievement. Hat firmly doffed to you good sir

Thanks man

I'm still shite at street fighter 2 though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Fair play! Takes dedication to do something that long. After that many years are you still learning new things or just getting better at it? Curious how you progress in something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

At least you can always pile drive the other person in reality after you lose :D

Well I'm only a hobbiest so not a competitive blackbelt at all.

But there's tons of minor details and variations on everything constantly to learn. I have a kind of game of specific moves that I consistently do so I'm ok at. But there's still an absolute ton for me to learn and refine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

GG Black Belt Burton

Got these off adverts. VHS board games I always wanted but never got, until now

• Advertisement

Wow, a blast from the past those are. I had the base game, possibly the addons too....oh and the Star Trek TNG one lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Didn't post this earlier...got myself a MiSTer as a Crimbo present. Just got a case and upgraded the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭dav09

Absolutely delighted to get the grail of all grails for me, Afterburner DLX!

Putting together some of the panels on it and checking too see if and what issues it has, took an awful of a lot of work & time getting it here from the US, I presume is the only one left in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭geotrig

oh excellent excellent get !!! bound to be a few left in the odd barn haha ! :P have fond fond memories of playing this back in the day in the bowling alley in Caherdavin.it was dearer per credit than any other game in the whole of limerick but worth it !

Brilliant! Didn't realize they had it there, by the time I was old enough to remember I'd say it was gone, my earliest memory of that place was playing that big Namco game Shoot Away and a few other bits like Sega Rally! I know there was a fair few Afterburners here back in the day, hopefully any that are left don't get scrapped like I'd say most others. Looking forward to playing this, probably my favourite cab ever!

Post edited by dav09 on

Wow, not a machine you expect to see at all anymore. Fantastic get!

yeah was definitely at least early 90's(90,91 im thinking ) not quiet sure when that place opened and was a bit different back then !! supermacs wasn't there for one ! 😂 totally forgot about the namco shoot away game being there and it was definite a fav also once afterburner was gone from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Savage!

Wow I didn't know that, I thought Supermacs was always there, they had a lot of really good 90s games there back when I was a child, Sega Rally 1, Daytona, Manx TT, a couple of Naomi's like Virtua Tennis and Virtua Striker + some dedicated Naomi stuff like Crazy Taxi, as with the Vic too had a lot of decent stuff. It's a pity they did a makeover on games about 5 or 6 years back as they still had about half of that stuff until then.

The price new for Afterburners were really expensive but reading a early 90s Coinslot magazine volume recently they dropped in value fairly fast, hence why we got a few more over here I'd say back then.

Might explain why we had some then Yeah 😎

layout was totally different back then ,eatery was to the back (and I've always thouht they made the bowling area smaller by taking out a lot of lanes)and more American themed to me anyway, I was 10-12ish the memories may be foggy now. The definitely had mad dog and big house of dead as well for s while. Spent more time/ money in the Vic so better /more memories of there 😆

Have you fired it up yet and played any?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Next project: Find out where Quirkeys are storing that R360 G-Loc cab.

Wow that's very cool, as for firing it up yet nope not yet, I have a super safe stepdown transformer coming Tuesday (since it's in a commercial unit and to trip out other things) with all sorts of circuit breakers just in case, so I will probably try it out next week, the owner said it was working not too long ago and now power supply isn't giving the correct voltage, whether it need a new one or needs a new internal stepdown or just needs adjusted that remains to be seen, so that's a starting point at least! Really looking forward to playing it again.

Ohhh I found out where it was... in a scrap yard unfortunately. Same faith as a most machines. Owner mentioned online recently that it was stored for about 20 years in Flannagans in Wexford and scrapped 7 or 8 years ago unfortunately. That would have been epic. There's one up the north in a field if anyone wants it 😄 Be warned this Afterburner was a nightmare initially when it arrived, almost half a tonne and the pallet it was on was collapsed so found it hard to get it off, eventually found a spot to fork it off with a forklift, I couldn't imagine how heavy a R360 would be, especially fishing it out of a bog!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The humanity...

Nice get, always wanted one of those after seeing it in T2

Post edited by Jack burton on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Amazing get! Fair play.

Master of the Universe

One of the first arcade machines I've a vivid memory of playing when I was a kid in Dawson's Bray. Absolutely incredible thing to pick up.

How's the condition?

It's in great shape in fairness, a bit of wear and tear as to be expected and some bits to be restored! But hasn't been damp & is structurally solid which is the main thing for a moving cab especially one from 1987, gave it a clean down today (just after I took the photo, haven't photoed it since) but it scrubbed up really well, just some dust and dirt from the years!

Master of the Universe

This finally arrived in the post. Think I was waiting about two years!

Master of the Universe

Really looks absolutely stunning! I remember a while back nearly buying the stand up version to scratch the Afterburner itch, can't even imagine the excitement of owning the DX model.

Any idea I'd the hydraulics still work to move the cockpit around?

• Advertisement

Yeah it's honestly been a dream of mine that I never thought would happen but there you go! But you'd never know unfortunately I might have to sell it down the line if I didn't have space as it is a really big yoke, but hopefully, that won't happen.

As for the Hydraulics, I spent today inspecting the machine, both hydraulics and rust-wise. Hydraulics, bearings, etc, all seem to be in great shape (visual wise), really happy with that. Do they work/ are they seized? I suppose time will tell. I want to keep the cabinet as original as possible ideally. If let's say something is really beyond repair hydraulics wise, myself and some friends used to build fighting robots (like Robot Wars style) so I would say I would be able to create a drop-in replacement solution, some speed controllers and maybe some more modern motors, should have a lot of the parts already, but time and experimentation will tell, might make an interesting thread here if it does end up taking a lot of work to get it running well, but hopefully, it won't. Rust-wise, the machine is probably 99% rust free which is good, most looks like surface rust but might get a second opinion on that just in case.

Post edited by dav09 on

Advertisement