Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

….. if anyone wants to sell theirs do let me know !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Did you not grab one there a while back from someone on my CD32 thread? Or did it not materialise

Got the console (which is heading off to the UK for repairs later this week).. but not the controller.

Debating the original or the competition pro for the CD32... I tend to heavily favour the original ones by default. Couple of there. Pricey of course. As is everything on my current to-do list.

I say get the original and a more suitable alternative. Like you say, it's always nice to have the original one even if it's somewhat subpar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's been a while since I splashed out a little.

Statue, art cards, digital soundtrack (plus multiplayer stuff that won't work) and a hefty bullet keyring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

A huge thank you to @Parawind for this awesome crt.

After have to bring one of my children along for the spin we managed to squeeze this into my car and get it home.

Setup and working nicely now. Picture needs adjustment for geometry is all and the menus aren't coming up on screen so I have some fiddling to do still and possibly hunt down a replacement original remote.

Actual picture quality is absolutely ace and it's a fantastic addition.

I do have my 29 inch Sony taken down from this unit now and I'll probably offer that up for free shortly as I'm trying to make space myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Glad its gone to a home where it will be appreciated and hope you had someone to help you get it back out of the car.

Thanks again for the food, going to eat like a king for the next week.

Weird as this might sound I think if you turn off the connected console and switch to one of the TV stations, press Menu twice (First menu press just activates the motor) and it should come up at least that's how I was able to see it. If you manage to get the geometry adjusted the picture really is going to be a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It has the look of 'could kill a small child' about it. Monster. Thought the large Trini I has was big

My son was playing with some toys right in front of it just after I wheeled it back to the wall and I have visions of it crushing him so had to move him

Lovely. I'll try that later on today

Grabbing a couple of special editions I didn't have money for as a teenager, I'll need to do some homework and see what else I missed.

9 days shipping from the US wasn't bad considering it was sent Saturday on the Labour Day weekend, things seem to go quicker with eBay's global shipping program as An Post aren't touching it.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got that GTAIV set at launch. Still use the lock-box as a general, 'I can't really throw this document/letter' away storage.

Picked these up recently, as they seem to be slowly disappearing from shelves. I got them not to use with the A500 Mini, but maybe more so with an upgraded CD32, or maybe a Pi400 Pimega setup at some stage.

I always had a thing for the Megadrive expansions. Sure they may not have lived up to expectations, but I find them very interesting from a hardware perspective, and you can really get a feel for Sega dipping it's toes into the 32bit world in preparation for the Saturn.

Having sold many of my consoles a dew years back, and inevitably regretting it, I'm almost back to where I was now that this arrived...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Imagine that, Inviere doing a Ciderman

I actually completely forgot I wanted a 32X and Mega CD after Covid put a hold on any sort of collecting! Other than a PSX they're the only bigger (€100+) items I want.

I'm afraid to look at the cost of the games though are they all mental or can you actually get a handful of decent games?

Collecting individual games is still something I'm determined not to fall back too deeply into. I'll buy one or two original games for any system for testing etc, but then it's everdrives/ode's from there on in. It's the hardware that interests me more these days, from a collecting point of view. The prices for games are just stupid these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,248 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't bother going near 32X or Mega CD collecting these days at all to be honest. Anything half decent on either console you'll be paying an arm and a leg for.

I bought quite a few 32X games years ago and it was mainly due to me enjoying playing obscure shite games. If that's not your thing really then an everdrive and some burned CDRs for the Mega CD is all you need.

Unfortunately I am fond of obscure shite games! But yeah I probably will need to look into alternative methods for those games...

My Mega CD seems to be fairly ropey with burned CDs… the Neo Geo CD and the 3DO have no trouble with the same CD Burner / CD combo however.

I have been buying games for all systems of late including 4 or 5 32x games. It remains however one of the 3 of 4 consoles so don’t have.

• Advertisement

This discussion made me wonder.. what significant games machines am I missing from the collection, so I listed out what consoles I have. Looking at it I am thinking Atari 7800 and maybe 5200, amstrad 464, sega 32x, maybe a Wonderswan crystal, gamepark gp32, Pokémon mini, msx2 or perhaps some cool ltd edition variants of any of the 150+ machines cluttering up the game room at present.

Atari

• 2600 Jr (boxed)
    • ST 520fm (needs repair)
    • Lynx v1
    • Lynx v2
    • Jaguar (boxed)

Nintendo 

• NES x 2 (one boxed)
    • SNES x 2 (one boxed)
    • N64 x 3 (one boxed, one Pokémon)
    • Gamecube x 2 (one boxed)
    • Wii v1 x 2 (red and white boxed)
    • Wii Mini (boxed)
    • Wii U x 2 (one boxed)
    • Switch v1 
    • Switch v2 (boxed)
    • Switch Lite x 5 (all different, all boxed)
    • Gameboy x 4 (1 boxed)
    • Gameboy pocket x 3
    • Gameboy Color x 8 (one boxed, one modded)
    • Gameboy advance x 4 (one boxed)
    • Gameboy advance sp 001 (boxed)
    • Gameboy advance sp 101 x 2 (one boxed)
    • Gameboy Advance micro x 2
    • DS 
    • DS lite x 5 (2 boxed)
    • DSi x 2 (1 boxed)
    • DSi XL 
    • 3DS x 3 (2 boxed)
    • 3DS XL x 2
    • New 3DS XL x 2 (one boxed)
    • 2DS x 3 (2 boxed)
    • 2DS XL (boxed)
    • Virtual Boy (needs repair)

SEGA

• Master System v1
    • Master System v2
    • Mega drive v1
    • Mega drive v2 (boxed)
    • Mega CD v2
    • Saturn v2
    • Dreamcast x2 (1 boxed)
    • Game gear x 2 (1 boxed)

SONY

• PS1 x 2 (1 boxed)
    • PSOne x 4 (1 boxed)
    • PS2 (boxed)
    • PS2 Slim x 6 (1 boxed)
    • PS3 (boxed)
    • PS3 Slim 
    • PS3 Super Slim (boxed)
    • PS4 (boxed)
    • PS4 Pro (boxed)
    • PS5 (boxed)
    • PSP 1000 series (boxed)
    • PSP Go (boxed)
    • PS Vita 1000 (boxed)
    • PS Vita 2000

XBOX

• Xbox x 3 (one crystal version boxed)
    • Xbox 360 x 2 (one boxed)
    • Xbox 360 S x 2 (boxed special editions)
    • Xbox One (boxed)
    • Xbox Series X (boxed)

Other

• Phillips Videopac 7000 (needs repair)
    • Intellivision (boxed)
    • Colecovision (repro box)
    • Commodore C64 (boxed)
    • Commodore Amiga A600 (boxed)
    • Amiga CD 32 (needs repair)
    • Sinclair Spectrum 48k (boxed)
    • Sinclair Spectrum + (repro box)
    • Sinclair Spectrum +2
    • Vectrex
    • Nokia N-Gage (boxed)
    • SNK Neo Geo CD
    • SNK Neo Geo pocket
    • Bandai Wonderswan (boxed)
    • Bandai Wonderswan Color
    • Game.com (boxed)
    • Panasonic 3DO FZ10 (boxed)
    • Phillips CDi 470
    • PC Engine
    • PC Engine GT
    • PC Engine (duo)
    • Nintendo Game and Watch x 1 (DK 2)
    • Grandstand x 2 (scramble, Firefox boxed)
    • Tomy 3D x 2

Mini

• NES Mini (boxed)
    • SNES Mini (boxed)
    • Retron HD (boxed)
    • Retron 5 HD (boxed)
    • Atari Flashback 9 (boxed)
    • C64 Mini (boxed)
    • Amiga A500 Mini (boxed)
    • Sony PlayStation Mini (boxed)
    • Sega Megadrive Mini (boxed)
    • New Game and Watch Super Mario Bros (boxed)
    • New Game and Watch Legend of Zelda (boxed)
    • Super Retrocade (boxed)
    • PC Engine Core Grafx Mini (boxed)
    • Sega Astro City Mini (boxed)
    • Neo Geo Mini (boxed)
    • Blaze Sega Megadrive Handheld Mini (boxed)
    • Anerbic a351m (boxed)
    • Tiger handheld x 2 (boxed)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A MSX 2 is a nice one to have as well for those sexy MSX game. You'd need a flash drive though due to so many great games being on disk and being in the thousands of euros zone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love an MSX2, as well as a x68000 but they are serious dollars.

Easier to use the RPi400 and emulate, though nowhere near as satisfying

Well that's settled then. MSX2 it is.

Please hold.

PSP 2000 and 3000, PSP Street, PSX, Pocketstation, PS4 Slim and Xbox 360 E could be added to the collection.

Good call… looking for limited editions of the psp. But I do have a pocketstation as it happens. Wasn’t considering that a console but I suppose it sort of is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I eventually found a full dock and power supply for my Libretto CT100 for a not 100% completely insane price in Europe(€159 delivered). After swapping out the hard disk for an SSD(SD card to IDE adapter), replacing the CMOS battery and overclocking from 166MHz to a safe 233MHz its actually a nice little retro laptop setup for older games and apps.

The overclock was an old school one with a little micro soldering required to the motherboard, but I got there in the end with the help of a microscope.

I really wish I had the dock when installing the OS and games a while back. A USB port with connected floppy drive and CD/DVD drive make life a whole lot easier on this thing 🙂

• Advertisement

Picked this up cheap after watching a friend streaming it.

That is such a good game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any game that lets you block an RPG with a riot shield is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Got a few “junk” Famicoms on the way from Japan for parts. Mad how sellers in Japan can send this stuff by DHL for $10 a console.

This arrived today, good size book. Definitely looking forward to reading. Had a good few arcade classic compilations on the PS2 and gave a handful of games a go on MAME back in the day, my knowledge of arcade stuff is mostly stuff that is ported to consoles so looking forward to giving it a read. A good few of the games listed don't sound familiar to me.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Master of the Universe

New addition to my cat collection..and paw prints all over my machines collection :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not retro gaming related, but definitely retro.

Seen this boxed Commodore 897D calculator from 1976 going for a very good price, so decided why not. Another one for the top shelf of stuff I buy and forget I own shortly afterwards, but still glad I got it 🙂

It works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Arrived today to add to the collection, slightly disappointed it's not got a seal on it. I'm not going to open it, just add to the collection but you'd have thought it would be sealed, they usually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Mine turned up today without a sealed box either @Dublinandy3 ; guess that is just how they are rolling with this release. Pity there isn't a second controller but hey-ho; not a bad list of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Happy to see they went with the 6-button as standard in the West, strange omission last time. The lack of a seal is going to be in collectors' circles in the future.

I see one on Adverts for €150, how much of a premium is that over the typical price?

• Advertisement

€121 on Amazon UK, free standard shipping also available which has been quicker than expected on all my orders recently.

.. mine is on the way. But you would wonder who that seller is targeting. Who is going to pay that price ? You dont get too many casuals browsing for that kind of stuff. Maybe in a few years when the price has shot up.. but they are a few years too early.

Must get one myself now while they are still available

I'll look for one from Santy... The elves better order it early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Evercade EXP dropped in the door the other day.

Yay !!! Another device to play the usual Capcom arcade classics etc etc

Somewhat joking TBF.....I actually don't mind the Evercade stuff, with the usual caveats that this kind of emulation entails, and have made enough of buying all the carts bar one or two to justify picking one up.

Lucky to get it actually, seeing as how almost all the Limited Edition Black models were subject to a robbery a couple weeks back which involved all US/UK/outside EU stock being nicked on route to Funstock's distributors. White standard models were unaffected, but only the EU-bound LE Black ones got through without ending up on dodgy Facebook sales.

Didn't have much time with it, but kind of know what to expect with these handhelds by now. TATE stuff on it should be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Got a namco pacland pcb and with a bit of tinkering it's all working fine. Japanese version with the long nose and different hat, quite a difficult game when you can't continue. Also it's strange to play a game that needs only one hand as its all buttons and no joystick. Really colourful and cartoony for a 1984 game

Anyone get any nice retro goodies for Christmas? I'd a 64bit hole in my collection, so x2 32bit processors so should fill that nicely...

I know its a console that really and significantly failed to deliver, but like the 3DO...it still 'has' something about it...I dunno...maybe you had to be there... 😊

Master of the Universe

That's some selection of boxed games!

Yeah it has an element of mystique to it alright, whenever I play mine it kind of feels like an alternative 32bit reality or something... Hard to describe. Like playing games I saw in games magazines that were way ahead of what I was currently playing.

Yeah that's exactly how it feels for me too, it's like when I play it (and the 3DO), my brain reverts back to the 16bit days and I'm playing the 'next big thing'.

Aye the boxed games were great to get, there's probably all that's worth having there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

It finally arrived it dispatched about 2 weeks after I posted in general asking about it, typical

• Advertisement
Advertisement