Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

antipuker wrote: »
    Shantelle McGee...I sh!t you not!!
    That sounds like it could be illegal in a few states in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was in temple street with the little one a few weeks back and yer wan next to me was talking to her kid, which i heard the name "Missy" .

That was ok, until the nurse came out and called, "Missy Elliot"

JAAAAAAAASSSSSSSUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS

That is a misdemeanor...

I’ll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Any Irish language name nobody can pronounce and spell, where the unlucky recipient will spend a lifetime explaining the spelling to others.

Siobhan is another name, it always reminds me of shove-on your knickers, the teacher is coming. And eamin'....aiming for what?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

janfebmar wrote: »
    And eamin'....aiming for what?

Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Maelsheachlainn Ó Conchubhair

Case in point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Baltazhar. Think I spelled it correctly! Charlotte granddaughter of Princess Grace called her son this!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Baltazhar. Think I spelled it correctly! Charlotte granddaughter of Princess Grace called her son this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Baby born near me recently called Heidi Belle.
    There is a great onus on her shoulder now to grow up stunningly beautiful, I think.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Balthazar isn’t that unusual....I knew 2 as a child (one in Dublin, one in Galway). Balthazar Getty (of the Getty family - google them if you’re not familiar with them or watch the recent Danny Boyle TV series about them) was quite a famous actor/“heart throb” for a time in the late 80s/early 90s - his face was everywhere for a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

citygal93 wrote: »
    I know someone who's daughter is called Neveah and she pronounces it "Nih-vay-ih" - but that's in a thick Dublin accent

It's usually 'Heaven' spelled backwards, 'Nevaeh' :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A cousin of mine has named her son Ferdiadh.

She's from Ardee Co. Louth. The battle place of CuCullain and Ferdia.

It's not right to saddle a child with such an obscure name

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

There were two sisters in my school called Asumpta and Concepta

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

She's from Ardee Co. Louth. The battle place of CuCullain and Ferdia.

It's not right to saddle a child with such an obscure name

Its not that obscure , I knew two or three Ferdias when I was young

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What's your name?

Ferdia... with a ''dh''

Welcome aboard, Dh'Ferdia

Omackeral wrote: »
    What's your name?

Ferdia... with a ''dh''

Welcome aboard, Dh'Ferdia

Why would he have to spell his name if he is just asked his name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

janfebmar wrote: »
    Any Irish language name nobody can pronounce and spell, where the unlucky recipient will spend a lifetime explaining the spelling to others.

Siobhan is another name, it always reminds me of shove-on your knickers, the teacher is coming. And eamin'....aiming for what?

Give me a Sadhbh or a Meadhbh any day over a Belle, Ella, Emma etc...

Its a strange phenomenon that some Irish people seem to struggle with Irish names yet will happily try to pronounce Polish or Lithuanian names . We are not unique in have old names that might be difficult for others .
    I have an old Irish name and lived in Germany and had no problems at all , people listened and made a good effort to pronounce it and usually managed well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Actual suggestions on a post looking for name ideas in a UK/Irish group for women.
    I love when these threads pop up cause there's usually some very eccentric, colourful suggestion. There is a recurring theme of random spellings and excessive hyphens in most of the contributions.
    The boys always get away lightly, the girl suggestions are way more unique and out there.

Kc-Louize
    Lily-Queenie (for a little queen, obviously)
    Alonnagh
    Bianca-Chanel
    Skyla-Sky
    Aruzielle
    Renesmee (stolen from the Twilight series)
    Paddy-Mai

Jagger
    Madox
    Ransom
    Sonny-Jake
    Breighden
    Ace

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

None of these people should be allowed reproduce. The human race is doomed.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its a strange phenomenon that some Irish people seem to struggle with Irish names yet will happily try to pronounce Polish or Lithuanian names . We are not unique in have old names that might be difficult for others .
    I have an old Irish name and lived in Germany and had no problems at all , people listened and made a good effort to pronounce it and usually managed well

Its Cultural Cringe, a form of cultural or national self loathing. You can see it all over this thread. Seem like some people associate anything remotely 'Irish' as inherently backward and basically 'wrong'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Alonnagh

Alonnagh-gain, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I’m sorry but Paddy-Mai has me cracking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Goretti is another one.

The missus took that for her confirmation name (under pressure from the nuns, or so she claims!) - seemingly Saint Maria Goretti was a young girl who was murdered by a man for resisting his lewd advances. She died a virgin, although I don't know how that made her eligible to be a saint. I can understand why the nuns tried to foist it onto impressionable young girls under their tutelage!

The missus took that for her confirmation name (under pressure from the nuns, or so she claims!) - seemingly Saint Maria Goretti was a young girl who was murdered by a man for resisting his lewd advances. She died a virgin, although I don't know how that made her eligible to be a saint. I can understand why the nuns tried to foist it onto impressionable young girls under their tutelage!

We had a picture of Maria Goretti on the landing when we were kids . She was one of those pictures who’s eyes follow you and her mouth seemed to move
    I would sneak past her going upstairs and hope she wouldn’t follow me . She petrified me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Oooh! Matron.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Remember the 'good' nuns hammering that story into us alright. Better to die a virgin, fighting for your life than 'allow' yourself to be defiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

Cyra and Levi!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

"Harlem"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    "Harlem"

I'm praying the middle name is Globe and the surname is Trotter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    "Harlem"

Probably that's where he was conceived.

Advertisement