Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The first two towns I was in were Mooloolaba and Maroochydore. My Aussie friend had a good laugh at me trying to pronounce them from spelling alone.

Tell him to go to Dun Laoghaire and see how he gets on. Doonlay-Go-Hara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Tell him to go to Dun Laoghaire and see how he gets on. Doonlay-Go-Hara

How-th, even the Sat Nav can’t get that one right....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Reati wrote: »
    How do you pronounce them?

They're pretty much pronounced as they are spelt,

Mooloolaba: Moo-loo-la-bah
    Maroochydore: Mar-oo-chi-door

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s the mixture of the Polish/Irish names I’m looking forward to...

Saoirse Ostrowski
    Eoin Kowalski

Etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Strumms wrote: »

Saoirse Ostrowski
    Eoin Kowalski

Etc..

There are already many of them . It never caused an issue up to now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There are already many of them . It never caused an issue up to now .

I don’t know why it would ever be an issue, I just think it’s a humorous but true reflection of the diversity of the country and the closeness of the Polish communities which have integrated, embraced and been embraced by and with every facet or Irish life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Saoirse Ostrowski
    Eoin Kowalski

Etc..

Furst dey tuk or jobs
    Den dey tuk or wimin
    Now der takin or names

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

From someone's Facebook profile,

"my 1 and only prince brooklyn my 3 princess.s letisha jaydeyn margomae xxxx"

I don't know which is worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

Heard of a little girl called Bowie yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

BBC News - Southwest Airlines apologises for mocking girl's name
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

Unfortunate for the kid, (that her mom was such a tit)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I know of an Irish girl called Epi, apparently it's not short for anything - her name is just Epi.:eek:

All of my kids have older Irish names (as gaeilge) . I live in Canada and people haven't a clue how to pronounce them...except their buddies in schools. it's the adults that are clueless.

I differ. It is the parents who are clueless. Always children should be given a name that can be understood and said in the primary language where they live. Otherwise it will always be said wrong. The friends in school are with them all day, all days, so of course they know.

The announcer at the airport won't know..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I differ. It is the parents who are clueless. Always children should be given a name that can be understood and said in the primary language where they live. Otherwise it will always be said wrong. The friends in school are with them all day, all days, so of course they know.

The announcer at the airport won't know..........

Jesus that is the worst kid name I've heard. It's an entire paragraph. Never fit on a passport.

I know of an Irish girl called Epi, apparently it's not short for anything - her name is just Epi.:eek:

I hope her surname isn’t Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Markcheese wrote: »

From the article "She said: 'Mom, why is she laughing at my name?'. Probably because your name is dumb as f*ck. Not he child's fault, of course. The article also says the kid is called Abcde and has to include pronounced ab-si-dee in it. Any person she'll ever meet that requires written forms or phone calls she'll have to say ''it's pronounced......''

I don’t know why it would ever be an issue, I just think it’s a humorous but true reflection of the diversity of the country and the closeness of the Polish communities which have integrated, embraced and been embraced by and with every facet or Irish life.
    Yeah, it's lovely. One of my brothers is married to a Lithuanian-born woman. We have a weird surname anyway, and their little boy has an incredibly Slavic name (I can't resist addressing him in a Slavic accent).

A sister is married to another foreigner (we're mad for the exotic types) and their babies have even weirder names, because it's not unusual for people of that background to have maybe five surnames. Good luck translating those to Irish for the rolla, whenever they start school.

You're absolutely correct about eastern Europeans in particular. It's difficult not to be reminded of the Normans, who famously became more Irish than the Irish themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Heard of a little girl called Bowie yesterday.

Cool!

As long as it's pronounced 'bo-e' and not 'bow-e'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That's cool too. Is it 'ep-e'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I know of an Eppie, the only other place I heard of it was in the George Eliot novel, Silas Marner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

You're absolutely correct about eastern Europeans in particular. It's difficult not to be reminded of the Normans, who famously became more Irish than the Irish themselves.

The Normans invaded.

Did the eastern European people who came for the most part after their country's joined the EU invade.

Eastern Europeans in general I find to not be great integrators.
    Any time I see a polish woman pushing a baby around the supermarket she's speaking polish to the kid.

Then there's the polish mass in st audoens church.

A polish minister, right wing Catholic government, was in Ireland last year. He was saying that polish should be on the curriculum. Is that integration.
    I can't imagine there'd be too many takers for polish among other than polish students.

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »

this is satire, right?

imme wrote: »
    The Normans invaded.

Did the eastern European people who came for the most part after their country's joined the EU invade.

Eastern Europeans in general I find to not be great integrators.
    Any time I see a polish woman pushing a baby around the supermarket she's speaking polish to the kid.

Als.

Why on earth should a Polish woman not speak her language to her child ? The child will learn English within weeks of being in playschool . They will be bi lingual which is wonderful . It has nothing to do with integration
    My husband is not Irish , he spoke his language to our children and he is fully and completely integrated into society . The children were bi lingual at an early age
    My granddaughter is in a class with quite a few Polish and the children are wonderful , all play together and have birthday parties together .
    I should hope if I lived in another country I too would speak my language to my children .

Ps my kids have Irish first names and a foreign surname . They love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Markcheese wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

This has been quoted here several times!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I always wonder why you see people with names like Neill O'Neill or Brian O'Brien?

The names themselves are grand but why?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I always wonder why you see people with names like Neill O'Neill or Brian O'Brien?

Because some people should are overly stupid and should not be allowed to breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Robert Roberts is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Donald McDonald or Ryan Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Donald McDonald or Ryan Ryan

I knew a chap in England called Donald McDonald, lovely man, bit of a stereotype, fond of Sherry. Funny enough he was Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Henry McEnery is another chap I knew once.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Overheard a mother to be in North Inner City Dublin say she's gonna call her boy 'Jagger'.

Advertisement