Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm happy enough to take him at his word that he left the meeting about the issue shortly before being on the news and tried and failed to get in contact. He was obviously going to be asked about it on air and was at that stage a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He didn't have to announce it on the news, but it suited him.
    It was not that urgent that he couldn't wait a few hours, or even until today.

I don't mind if the game is cancelled, but the manner Harris went about his business was typically inept and self-centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm happy enough to take him at his word that he left the meeting about the issue shortly before being on the news and tried and failed to get in contact. He was obviously going to be asked about it on air and was at that stage a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    That's fair enough and pretty much the only issue I had with it. Quick to arrange the meeting as well which helped clear things up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

tototoe wrote: »
    If you are, as minister for health, going to announce an event is cancelled, you surely would discuss it with the organisation running it. Not announce it on 6one news.

It was amature stuff frrom harris, and typically FG in its arrogance

Did he announce it was cancelled he gave an opinion it should be cancelled. Only rugby unions could cancel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tototoe wrote: »
    If you are, as minister for health, going to announce an event is cancelled, you surely would discuss it with the organisation running it. Not announce it on 6one news.

It was amature stuff frrom harris, and typically FG in its arrogance

Well it shows you didn't listen to the announcement and just used it as a dig at FG....

No need for politics to get dragged in here

He was very clear. They recommended the game get cancelled but the IRFU would make the call. It was not up to the government, if game was to be played behind closed doors etc it was all up to IRFU

Not sure what else Harris was supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Well it shows you didn't listen to the announcement and just used it as a dig at FG....

No need for politics to get dragged in here

He was very clear. They recommended the game get cancelled but the IRFU would make the call. It was not up to the government, if game was to be played behind closed doors etc it was all up to IRFU

Not sure what else Harris was supposed to do?

That’s not what he said. Best bet now is you go watch his press conference and write down what he said, and compare it to the above.

• Advertisement

That’s not what he said. Best bet now is you go watch his press conference and write down what he said, and compare it to the above.

No need, thanks

No need, thanks

Stay wrong so.
    Doesn’t bother me.

Stay wrong so.
    Doesn’t bother me.

Based on your posts it does.....:P:P

I refer you to the below,knock yourself out.....I will accept your apology

https://www.offtheball.com/rugby/simon-harris-irfu-government-advice-973332

Based on your posts it does.....:P:P

I refer you to the below,knock yourself out.....I will accept your apology

https://www.offtheball.com/rugby/simon-harris-irfu-government-advice-973332

That’s the statement he made after his initial one where me made a mess of the situation. You should watch the first one, because this is him changing tack after the mistake was made. Do you ever stop apologising for FG?

That’s the statement he made after his initial one where me made a mess of the situation. You should watch the first one, because this is him changing tack after the mistake was made. Do you ever stop apologising for FG?

bcdwON0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

aloooof wrote: »
    That's a phenomenal sentence. Why listen to experts when we can listen to.... randommers on the internet??

I'll have to think about that one. Think about it deeply.

I take my cues from the experts, just not the irish one making the call in this case. The ones in Italy and France seem to have a very different approach. You do know that there is no consensus on this?

bcdwON0.jpg

Your flying it at coder-dojo. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I take my cues from the experts, just not the irish one making the call in this case. The ones in Italy and France seem to have a very different approach. You do know that there is no consensus on this?

Italy has the most cases in Europe. The risk may be small but its definitely greater than zero. There is really no upside to playing the game on 7th. Hasn't had to happen in 19 years so not like they're doing it for the hell of it. Think at this point it's time to accept decision has been made and move on tbh

Eod100 wrote: »
    Italy has the most cases in Europe. The risk may be small but its definitely greater than zero. There is really no upside to playing the game on 7th. Hasn't had to happen in 19 years so not like they're doing it for the hell of it. Think at this point it's time to accept decision has been made and move on tbh

City are playing right now in Madrid where there are two cases. Why does Ireland always have to be so extreme. That is why the IRFU were so pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Munster game went ahead in Parma friday night.
    Parma (Soccer) play next game behind closed doors

The virus only broke out properly in Italy on the day of the Munster match. Prior to that day, there were only 3 confirmed cases and no deaths in Italy. Now there are 400 cases and 12 dead.

More pertinent is the fact that the Treviso and Zebre games were cancelled on Monday for this coming weekend.

What are these "experts" saying?

Everything I see is that Italy are struggling to contain

What are these "experts" saying?

Everything I see is that Italy are struggling to contain

The french government has not stopped juventus travelling to Lyon tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's a rugby match.

People are dying.

I'd have thought that one of these was far more important than the other. But it seems not.

The french government has not stopped juventus travelling to Lyon tonight.

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

City are playing right now in Madrid where there are two cases. Why does Ireland always have to be so extreme. That is why the IRFU were so pissed off.

458 cases and 12 dead in Italy vs. 12 cases and no deaths in Spain.

Do you really think there's an equivalent risk?

Also worth noting that, of the 12 cases in Spain, 4 of them were Italian nationals visiting Spain and 4 others were Spanish people that had visited northern Italy recently.

The reason the IRFU were pissed is because they didn't get to control the communication and PR around the situation. The fact that the game is off was going to happen regardless.

• Advertisement

It's a rugby match.

People are dying.

I'd have thought that one of these was far more important than the other. But it seems not.

I could say what I think but I would get another ban.....

I really do despairb with the human race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

And quite rightly so. It has really spoiled this years 6N. Thousands of people can still come to Dublin. Just not allowed to go to a game. Disgrace. Disgrace.

Buer wrote: »
    The reason the IRFU were pissed is because they didn't get to control the communication and PR around the situation. The fact that the game is off was going to happen regardless.

Also apparently as it stands the IRFUs insurance may not cover this unless the Government specifically determine that it’s off and then insurance will cover it.

Also worth noting that, of the 12 cases in Spain, 4 of them were Italian nationals visiting Spain and 4 others were Spanish people that had visited northern Italy recently.

The reason they are pissed, is that there is no cogent rational behind the decision. If they are concerned about people coming in from Italy, mixing with people in Ireland in work, homes, shops, restaurants, pubs, theatres,etc, why have they not banned flights from Italy ? How many incoming flights from Italy every day - 20 ? Thats 4000 people. A day. About the same as will come for the non-game anyway.

It's a rugby match.

People are dying.

I don’t really care tbh. Life goes on.

Ban all flights if lives are so important.

Ok then argue with my Lyon versus juventus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ok then argue with my Lyon versus juventus point.
    Juventus are in Turin. That's actually a long way from Lombardy. The equivalent of Dublin and Belfast. It's not in the affected area.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We’ve Paris booked and I just don’t see it happening, I think numbers will start to rise now over next week or two. Either way can’t risk getting quarantined in Paris with the kids being minded at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

People are dying.
    I don’t really care tbh. Life goes on.

That's the point of dying. Life doesn't just go on.

Oh wait. You meant your life goes on, and **** everyone else, right?

Delightful.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Juventus are in Turin. That's actually a long way from Lombardy. The equivalent of Dublin and Belfast. It's not in the affected area.

3 people tested positive in Turin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement