Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,095 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you a link to where that's made clear?

This is some of what McGregor said.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/other-sport/conor-mcgregor-gives-reasons-ufc-18378210

Which part needs clarity?
    Justin earned the shot against Khabib and made it clear he was taking it. He’d be mad not to.

Silva hasn’t made WW since 2006. And has drifting up to 205 on occasion. I don’t think Conor moving to 185 should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yeah I can’t understand Conor’s hissy fit here. Does he expect Justin to fight again in July and then face Khabib in September if he were to beat Conor. It was clear Khabib was gonna fight in September so he obviously must face the interim champ. Not a lot of options left for Conor but he could have done the Nate 3, or even BMF title challenge. But I don’t think he was ever gonna fight in an empty arena. Tho he cuda done this island thing just for the novelty of it. Maybe he is even too big a superstar for that, as details on it are even still a bit sketchy. Will there be crowds at it and will they construct small stands??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fight Island is the biggest case of false advertising since the movie The Never Ending Story.

Conor plan for the year was Cerrone, Justin then Khabib/Tony. But this plan got f*ked up by the corona and subsequent Khabib pull out in April. Now he needs to either adjust his plan or retire!! I think he will be back. As crazy as this is, he will probably still face Khabib/Justin for the title at end of the year even if he doesn’t fight till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

They should just book him to fight Masvidal. Makes sense for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Ush1 wrote: »
    Fight Island is the biggest case of false advertising since the movie The Never Ending Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

ricero wrote: »
    They should just book him to fight Masvidal. Makes sense for both.

I would enjoy this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Conor done what he wanted to and that was to make enough money so that his family, his children and his grandchildren will never have to worry about money. I respect him for that. And that's where my respect ends.

He is a one trick pony who was gifted opponents by the UFC due to his ability to draw in the masses. He has a left hand and nothing more, like Nate Diaz the scholar put it, his opponents believed his hype, not him. His win over Aldo was lightning in a bottle. Lucky with Porier, Alvarez bought into the hype and fought stupid. Diaz took him out and in my view won the rematch. Gets demolished by Khabib and then chooses to fight a 2 streak loss Cerrone who suffered the same fate as Alverez.

He doesn't have the skills to be the top of the game and his bank balance lessened the blow. I think he will have huge regrets when he is an old man. He could have kept fighting and kept the money but he is so desperately afraid to lose neither him nor the UFC will let him fight real opponents. Khabib will not give him a rematch and he will never be champion again while Khabib is still fighting.

As a man outside the octagon? He is a scumbag. Through and through. He's now just an extremely wealthy scumbag. I would put money down he will end up locked up for a period of time.

He's a charlatan that so many bought into. I hope he fades into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Ush1 wrote: »
    I don't think people are denying he is a star, they are denying he is as successful in MMA as for instance Messi in football or Jordan in basketball, in terms of accolades, longevity and overall career.

He's hugely successful in MMA, and elevated the entire sport to world level attention almost single handedly .......the most watched, most liked and disliked in equal measure ...............there is no comparison to be made with team sports like football and basketball so you're talking out of your hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Conor done what he wanted to and that was to make enough money so that his family, his children and his grandchildren will never have to worry about money. I respect him for that. And that's where my respect ends.

He is a one trick pony who was gifted opponents by the UFC due to his ability to draw in the masses. He has a left hand and nothing more, like Nate Diaz the scholar put it, his opponents believed his hype, not him. His win over Aldo was lightning in a bottle. Lucky with Porier, Alvarez bought into the hype and fought stupid. Diaz took him out and in my view won the rematch. Gets demolished by Khabib and then chooses to fight a 2 streak loss Cerrone who suffered the same fate as Alverez.

He doesn't have the skills to be the top of the game and his bank balance lessened the blow. I think he will have huge regrets when he is an old man. He could have kept fighting and kept the money but he is so desperately afraid to lose neither him nor the UFC will let him fight real opponents. Khabib will not give him a rematch and he will never be champion again while Khabib is still fighting.

As a man outside the octagon? He is a scumbag. Through and through. He's now just an extremely wealthy scumbag. I would put money down he will end up locked up for a period of time.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Thank you for your wise words. I've wasted years following this thread, why did you not arrive sooner to share this undisputable truth?

How have I never noticed that this, now clearly obvious, 'one trick pony' has fluked his way to two world titles. It's so clear to me now, he beat cherry picked opponents with nothing more than mind control and a left hand. Thank you.

I look forward to your next sermon. Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Annd9

Chill out Ali some of your fighters have big fights coming up .

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Thank you for your wise words. I've wasted years following this thread, why did you not arrive sooner to share this undisputable truth?

How have I never noticed that this, now clearly obvious, 'one trick pony' has fluked his way to two world titles. It's so clear to me now, he beat cherry picked opponents with nothing more than mind control and a left hand. Thank you.

I look forward to your next sermon. Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?
    Aldo was a fluke. Give me your arguments against. It was a flash KO. Aldo bought into the hype. Alvarez was the same, I don't think that fight was a fluke win I think Alvarez bought into the McGregor hype train and was not mentally prepared for the fight. On skill I believe Alvarez to be the better fighter.

His win to take the 145lb belt was a fluke. He was then gifted a shot at 155lbs and fought a man who mentally crumbled under the McGregor train. A perfect storm. He's a con artist of the highest order. Khabib showed him to be exactly what he is, a charlatan scumbag.

Let him fight Poirier or Ferguson and see how well he does. He is no where near top 5, barley makes top 10 in my view.

But he told the judge he would never see him in court again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He kO'd Poirier in one though albeit at a lower weight. I guess we'll never truly know where he fits in in the 155 standings due to him fighting there so infrequently there. His fight against Alvarez was imo his best performance in the UFC, but it was a good matchup for him and Eddie didn't help himself either. I'd absolutely put him in the Top 5 of the division though.

How many times has McGregor been arrested, reported or not on both sides of the athletic in the last few years?

I know you're cracking a joke but he is deffo ending up behind bars at some point. He's an outright scumbag who has been able to pay his way out of cuffs for a while. Eventually something will stick.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How many times has McGregor been arrested, reported or not on both sides of the athletic in the last few years?

I know you're cracking a joke but he is deffo ending up behind bars at some point. He's an outright scumbag who has been able to pay his way out of cuffs for a while. Eventually something will stick.
    As neither of you appear capable of reading the thread title you are both threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Aldo was a fluke. Give me your arguments against.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNI9M73jL8

End of argument.

You can’t ban me. I retire. Thanks for the cheese.

I was embarrassed reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,645 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    Which part needs clarity? Justin earned the shot against Khabib and made it clear he was taking it. He’d be mad not to.
    Silva hasn’t made WW since 2006. And has drifting up to 205 on occasion. I don’t think Conor moving to 185 should be taken seriously.
    Well he, Gaethje, jumped the queue, he was behind Conor in the rankings and is now ahead of him without fighting him. How does that happen, because Conor had just had a fight? Is that fair? Do you not think Conor has a gripe after doing yet another 1 million sales ppv? Do you not think he deserves a shot at the interim belt?

sonofenoch wrote: »
    He's hugely successful in MMA, and elevated the entire sport to world level attention almost single handedly .......the most watched, most liked and disliked in equal measure ...............there is no comparison to be made with team sports like football and basketball so you're talking out of your hoop

I didn't make the comparison.

I don't see anybody calling McGregor the GOAT?

A poster compared him to those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

People jump ahead of others all the time without having fought them.. It's quite simple. Beating a 12 fight unbeaten Ferguson carries more weight than beating Cowboy, who loses all the time. Also, when you win the interim title, you almost always get a title shot in your next fight barring injuries.

Well he, Gaethje, jumped the queue, he was behind Conor in the rankings and is now ahead of him without fighting him. How does that happen, because Conor had just had a fight? Is that fair? Do you not think Conor has a gripe after doing yet another 1 million sales ppv? Do you not think he deserves a shot at the interim belt?

He was called up and took a fight on short notice, Conor was offered the same fight and declined. Gaethje went ahead a beat Ferguson, soundly at that, so he has deservedly landed himself where he is, he stopped Cerrone at 155 as well before Conor, so I think he has earned his spot.

Maybe if Conor fought at 155 after his layoff that might have warranted more of a argument for a fight for the interim title, but he turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,095 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fighters jump other fighters without having faced them all the time. Tony jumped Conor even though he never faced the former No.1.
    It's a dynamic list, not the ladder to face M.Bison in Street Fighter.
    Cody Garbrandt just jumped 4 top 10 fighters. Perez jumped 5.

I think it's certainly fair. Justin deserves it. I think it's silly that Tony didn;t slip a spot after his loss, but it's inconsequential really.

Conor's PPV sales have no bearing in his rank or on who deserves the shot. That's more related to whether he can demand to headline on his own, or share a card as with the lower weights.
    If Tony won, you wouldn't be making a case that Conor deserves a shot at the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a dynamic list, not the ladder to face M.Bison in Street Fighter.

:D, I'm stealing this.
    I can't believe people still think you need to beat every fighter ahead of you. If that was the case the FW division would have just been Frankie and Aldo fighting for the title every year, with Frankie beating the number 2 contender in between.
    Come to think of it, didn't Conor skip Frankie under these rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Aldo was a fluke. Give me your arguments against. It was a flash KO. Aldo bought into the hype. Alvarez was the same, I don't think that fight was a fluke win I think Alvarez bought into the McGregor hype train and was not mentally prepared for the fight. On skill I believe Alvarez to be the better fighter.

His win to take the 145lb belt was a fluke. He was then gifted a shot at 155lbs and fought a man who mentally crumbled under the McGregor train. A perfect storm. He's a con artist of the highest order. Khabib showed him to be exactly what he is, a charlatan scumbag.

Let him fight Poirier or Ferguson and see how well he does. He is no where near top 5, barley makes top 10 in my view.

Please stop :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

We should have a Mcgregor V Diaz 2 watch party

im genuinely interested in where people saw Diaz winning that.

iv watched it at id say nearly 10 times and even turned volume up higher so when Mcgregor rolled 90% of Diaz slaps rogans "oh he is hurt" was crisp in my ear, and even still im baffled when people say it.

Watch it without volume and its even more convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I always thought Diaz won the second fight.

Advertisement