Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I feel it a bit cynical to call them 'doubts', after all, if they'd any doubts about him at all he wouldn't have remained in command of the Federation flagship. I'd call them concerns for him, not of him, and about how a close encounter with the Borg could affect him. Outside of canon, that whole scene is a plot hole really, and a way of being able to write Data saying "to hell with our orders", ala Spock from The Undiscovered Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The dialogue at the start of Family suggests he's been having counselling sessions and is under evaluations with Troi. The Enterprise is just sitting in spacedock under going repairs.

Just watched an episode where 3 Ferengi take over the flagship which has over 1000 people. What is it with Riker and Klingon BOPs :P

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What is it with Riker and Klingon BOPs :P

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

amdwsg.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Working comm badge you say? Shut up and take my money...

http://www.cnet.com/news/your-working-star-trek-next-gen-comm-badge-has-arrived/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

So I was watching Star Trek Nemesis and I noticed that in the end credits Will Wheton as Wesley Crusher is credited. I don't recall seeing him in the film any time I've watched it. Was he in a deleted scene or something? Anyone of you knowledgeable people able to shed some light?

SarahBM wrote: »
    So I was watching Star Trek Nemesis and I noticed that in the end credits Will Wheton as Wesley Crusher is credited. I don't recall seeing him in the film any time I've watched it. Was he in a deleted scene or something? Anyone of you knowledgeable people able to shed some light?

Very quick shot of him at the wedding.
    There was a deleted scene too

Just looking at that scene. I can see why it was cut, he looks so awkward (and why's he there without massive powers etc or explanation?)

Just looking at that scene. I can see why it was cut, he looks so awkward (and why's he there without massive powers etc or explanation?)

What do you mean by powers?

Surely he is there because Will and Deanna invited him and Crusher is his mam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Evade

What do you mean by powers?
    Wesley got reality bending powers like the Traveller's in the last episode he was in.

Evade wrote: »
    Wesley got reality bending powers like the Traveller's in the last episode he was in.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

All those other plains of existence must've been less interesting than Engineering on some ship ye never heard of before, that or yer man the traveller was looking for a bit of nooky off poor ould Weso :D

I think they were probably right to leave that on the cutting room floor tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

All those other plains of existence must've been less interesting than Engineering on some ship ye never heard of before, that or yer man the traveller was looking for a bit of nooky off poor ould Weso :D

I think they were probably right to leave that on the cutting room floor tbh

Considering the dross that made it in?

Considering the dross that made it in?

Oh come on!!! It's not that bad

None of the cast can save it.

You have Tom Hardy and Ron Perlman as the antagonists and even they are wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree with Sarah. I quiet like it. Its got a new cool almost indestructible alien ship in it and its got the new Romulan Warbirds in it. It has a good battle just unfortunate that it could not have featured a few more federation ships in it too.
    Its even got some character development as Data commits the ultimate sacrifice to save his fellow crew members and friends. Yes it has been done before in T.W.O.K but this was done a bit differently and he does not totally die as they get B.4 to replace him.
    It also has the A.R.G.O which I enjoyed no a lot of people did not like but Id say there is lots of places it could no doubt be very useful places maybe where a shuttle can not go or won,t be able to operate maybe some interference in the atmosphere that stops a shuttle from being able to fly. Id pick watching Nemesis over watching S.T.I.D any day.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

How did the subjugated Remans build a warship which was faster than Enterprise, fire while cloaked, had weapons to beat 2 Valdores and Enterprise, and have a power plant to power it all?

None of the cast can save it.

You have Tom Hardy and Ron Perlman as the antagonists and even they are wasted

Wasn't a true film but it was a good episode

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just felt like I'd seen it all before. It was a TWOK retread without the heart.

The Reman warship which dwarfed the Enterprise was a rehash of the Son'a warship which dwarfed the Enterprise in Insurrection (how come the Federation Flagship is so small and outgunned compared to races which we've never ever heard of before?).

It was just a bit 'meh'. I'd have it in my bottom three Trek films.

• Advertisement

designed specifically as a warship rather than an armed exploration vessel would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

On the one hand I think they could have left that scene with Wesley in the film. I remember hearing that they cut a lot from the original runtime of the movie but to be honest this scene only runs a minute long - surely they could left it in? As to Nemesis overall - I think it's definitely the weakest of the TNG films and probably bottom tier of the films overall. Like Beefy said it was a retread of Khan without any heart. Shinzon was a really subpar villain with a very contrived back story in order to forge a connection with Picard.

designed specifically as a warship rather than an armed exploration vessel would be my guess

But again, how did the subjugated Remans build a ship better than anything the Romulans could put out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But again, how did the subjugated Remans build a ship better than anything the Romulans could put out

Weren't the Remans part of the Dominion War? (although obviously off-screen in DS9)

Presumably then the ship was built (maybe as a prototype) by the Romulans/Remans to counter that threat - eg: as a match for the large Dominion battleships we saw several times (like for example the one the USS Valiant with Red Squad tries to take out)

When Shinzon comes to power this ship is then re-purposed as his personal flagship?

How were the Romulans were able to build a super armed, super fast, super cloak, cloak firing, mega powered, fighter carrying, beast of a ship?

That's a complete step change on far too many levels

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

How were the Romulans were able to build a super armed, super fast, super cloak, cloak firing, mega powered, fighter carrying, beast of a ship?

That's a complete step change on far too many levels

Dont forget the special design so it could fire its life destroying ray which strangely had a little viewing gallery just of the bridge so people could go look at the pretty green light(though with how easily Picard riped that pipe off the wall its possible they skimped on the materials)

"A British tar is a soaring soul
    As free as a mountain bird
    His energetic fist should be ready to resist
    A dictatorial word
    His nose should pant and his lip should curl
    His cheeks should flame and his brow should furl
    His bosom should heave and his heart should glow
    And his fist be ever ready for a knock-down blow"

Christ...

Dont forget the special design so it could fire its life destroying ray which strangely had a little viewing gallery just of the bridge so people could go look at the pretty green light(though with how easily Picard riped that pipe off the wall its possible they skimped on the materials)

Picking over details in nemesis is probably a waste of time, it's a dog's dinner from start to finish.

Until the motorbike scene in that recent yoke of a film, that scene with the madmax buggy thing was the most out of place scene in any episode or film of ST.

Insurrection at least slightly redeems itself by having the odd bit of a laugh in it.

In terms of pure TNG films, Generations is the truest to the tv show, and nowhere near as bad as is made out. The others weren't ever really TNG films, they were poor action films (though First Contact was a decent effort).

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    In terms of pure TNG films, Generations is the truest to the tv show, and nowhere near as bad as is made out.

agreed 100%
    Myrddin wrote: »
    The others weren't ever really TNG films, they were poor action films (though First Contact was a decent effort).

First Contact, along with Undiscovered Country are, by a significant margin, the best ST films.

I would go so far as to say they are the only st films that would stand up to any sort of critique, if I wasn't a fan of the ST in general.

If it wasn't so badly paced, I'd include the motion picture with them.

None of the others, involve any sort of story-line or conflict beyond big bad guy is mean.

First Contact openly explores character flaws in Picard, as The Motion Picture does for Kirk. I don't think that happens anywhere else.

The Undiscovered Country is superb from start to finish a thriller almost. Political intrigue the whole lot.

Advertisement