Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards.ie Photography Year Book 2008 - order now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Ooh I just saw the examiner piece. Very nice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Mine arrived today, well done to all involved. Very well put together, and supporting a good cause too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Got my copy on Monday and its grrrrrreeeeaaaat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

My photo in two papers today, pretty happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

where can i see the examiner piece !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Just picked up my copy of the examiner on the way home this evening. Well done to all who put in the hard work to get press release out, and congratulations to those select few who got published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yay!! Picture AND press release in the paper!!! :D:D:D

Ah I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy ;)

go on the 200 copies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just 5 more to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

One of my teachers knows I'm big into photography and has got a few prints from me before.. I'll see if he'll throw up a few posters around the school / spread by word of mouth. Might even buy one or two himself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The Late Late Show... anyone got any contacts in RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

i was thinking about sending on the press release and photos to martin king, you know the way he shows photos like? what do you think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Ideo wrote: »
    i was thinking about sending on the press release and photos to martin king, you know the way he shows photos like? what do you think?

I tried that a couple of weeks ago, but did not get a reply.

Worth doing it again. You may have more luck than I did.

Heres an idea.

Everyone stick up an ad on pix or flickr as a photo with the link to buy in the description? (not sure if thats allowed)

Surely we'd reach a lot of contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

Solyad wrote: »
    Heres an idea.

Everyone stick up an ad on pix or flickr as a photo with the link to buy in the description? (not sure if thats allowed)

Surely we'd reach a lot of contacts

I was thinking exactly same this morning. Everybody put a copy of a poster in their flickr or pix with a link.

Now if only all my contacts weren't boardsies... :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone scan the examiner yet?

The Examiner press clipping. I'll post as a jpg later. I'll post up all 3 press clippings as jpegs and perhaps we can put them on the photobook website?

Herald AM press clipping

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Examiner press clipping. I'll post as a jpg later. I'll post up all 3 press clippings as jpegs and perhaps we can put them on the photobook website?

Herald AM press clipping

Good job sir, have some much deserved 'Thanks'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

mloc wrote: »
    My photo in two papers today, pretty happy.

Well done you!

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just 5 more to go.

BIL ordered 2 today I think? We should hit it soon!! :D

• Advertisement

198 sold now.

Solyad wrote: »

The Late Late Show... anyone got any contacts in RTE?

Actually...

Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Great... I'm confident that we can hit the sales more than 200 units... Why don't we bring up the target to 210 :P.

My thanks again to all who made this project a success!

Hopefully we'll see a bit of a flurry after all the press pieces this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hey everyone,

Out of the blue (well almost - he's usually plugging away in the background at all things photography), we received an email today from Marcus over on Pix.ie to say that he would like to add to the support of the boards.ie photography book in aid of the santa strike force. He offered the project free advertising space on pix.ie - and get a load of this;

ONE MILLION FREE ADVERTISING IMPRESSIONS

This will run in the lead up to Christmas. There was a pix.ie release heading out this evening so with a bit of a rush we tracked down a couple of users over the course of the afternoon who had previously signalled their willingness for their images to be used and put them / their image directly in touch with Marcus.

The product of all of this is that every page on pix.ie which displays an image has an embedded boards.ie photography book in aid of santa strike force advertisement - this deployed across millions of pix.ie pages.

See the following post on the pix.ie thread and view some of your own pictures over on pix.ie

Needless to say, the project will benefit enormously in terms of publicity and each advertisement links to the boards.ie photography book blurb page so hopefully we'll get a number of additional orders chalked up.

This is a really great thing for Marcus to do (and without being prompted or harassed!) and I want to thank him on behalf everyone involved. I'm sure the SSF will be well pleased. It is really appreciated that pix.ie have replaced a stream of their own income with potential income being generated for a great cause, and while the great cause won't pay the bandwidth bills I trust that everyone will remember pix.ie when the are looking to support an online image and album data store.

Thanks again Marcus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Nice touch by Marcus.
    Fair play!

We have just reached the 200 mark, and €1,000 raised for Santa Strike Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭labbad

Great Stuff Well Done.
    One question I ordered on the 16th November site says it was dispatched on the 25 November still has not arrived should I start worrying or contact them ???
    Basic post

Takes ~10 working days apparently from the date its shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

Don't panic. Mine took about 2-3 weeks to arrive. It was sent snail mail.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a few more days then thanks for prompt reply

labbad wrote: »
    Great Stuff Well Done.
    One question I ordered on the 16th November site says it was dispatched on the 25 November still has not arrived should I start worrying or contact them ???
    Basic post

It arrived today (12th December) It's gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Is this book available for non credit card holders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

labbad wrote: »
    It arrived today (12th December) It's gorgeous

Is it 3 days later in Ireland than it is in Scotland? :confused:

Mines came today, was a little dissapointed to see that the cover had recieved a fair bit of battering on the way here, but inside the book looks wonderful, there really is some amazing images in there.

Well done everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

supertramp wrote: »
    Is this book available for non credit card holders?

good point... if you have a 3v card i'm sure that would work!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭leinstergurl

Got my book today...wow its fab!!!! big thanks to ideo for delivering it for me :D

Woops, we're gone back to 199. :o

Looks like someone has cancelled an order. Think it might have been the one I mentioned before, stalled from November 8th.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Woops, we're gone back to 199. :o

Looks like someone has cancelled an order. Think it might have been the one I mentioned before, stalled from November 8th.

Taking money from kids... shocking! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

My boss wants one, so I am about to place my order. Eventually...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Got mine in the post last week. It's very very nicely put together.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Got my book yesterday, Very well wrapped, so much so I had to hack the packaging with a knife, but worth it !!
    The whole experience has been inspirational :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The whole experience has been inspirational :)

I agree.
    I'm definitely going to contribute to the photography forum in future- and hopefully if my efforts are good enough, who knows, I might make the '09 book.

Well done guys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

smccarrick wrote: »
    I agree.
    I'm definitely going to contribute to the photography forum in future- and hopefully if my efforts are good enough, who knows, I might make the '09 book.
    QUOTE]

It will be good to have you involved.

Just to clear up one thing .... the only judge of quality for the images in this years book was that of the individual. I think it says something for the standards that people set for themselves that we came up with such a good crop of images without any selection process. Involvement was open to all here & as such the book does represent a good cross section of the skills in this forum.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Just to clear up one thing .... the only judge of quality for the images in this years book was that of the individual. I think it says something for the standards that people set for themselves that we came up with such a good crop of images without any selection process. Involvement was open to all here & as such the book does represent a good cross section of the skills in this forum.

As it should be.

The onus should be on the photographer to come up with their favourite. As soon as you start talking about a vetting process things get very sticky. Opinions differ on quality.

The quality of this book stands as testament that those who contributed came up with quality goods. The book is only a showcase for the photographers' work (not belittling the efforts of the compilers/organisers btw).

Roll on the '09 book. My advice to everybody next year is: Every time you're about to press the shutter release, think "Yearbook" and get a great shot. Then, hopefully, every shot will turn out great.

My advice to everybody next year is: Every time you're about to press the shutter release, think "Yearbook" and get a great shot. Then, hopefully, every shot will turn out great.

LOL ... I know what you mean.

However, unless you are shooting for a specific brief, my advice would be to shoot to get an image that YOU are pleased with. If it then goes on to please others, win competitions, make money etc. Then so be it, that is an added bonus. I think the Yearbook 08 has that essence to it. The images that people submitted were those that THEY were pleased with. It just happens that a lot of others agree.

• Advertisement

It's quite ironic that my photo in the book (the swan), I didn't have time to think anything it happened so fast. Certainly wouldn't have been thinking of a book. The only thing I recall thinking was "is the frame rate fast enough? - click faster!!!".

Turned out to be one of my favourite of the year - and favourite of lots of my friends. Has pride of place framed above the fireplace in the sitting room :)

All bar six books, have now shipped.

Herald AM press clipping

Just to follow up on this, if anybody who's photo is in the newspapers but doesn't have a copy of the newspaper wants a copy get in touch with me via pm. I have a copy of the examiner and the herald am, will happily stick it in the post for any of you. baby hands gets first dibs though, just cos....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ninaford

I have a huge passion for photography!i took a module in college and would love to get back into it!Actually what do you think of the Martin King photos?i think they are a nice addition to the normal weather you normally get...plus its a nice distraction from the nasty winter weather we are getting at the mo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Did you buy the book, or not, ninaford? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement