Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great House Revival

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Really? Fair play if so, I just find it a stretch that 1 woman and 2 contractors could finish what's essentially a boutique hotel in 18 months

They also had the 3 "volunteers", I'd say they got more than they bargained for, god love them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Honestly can’t see how it cost only €500k including the purchase price.
    Thought they were mad to take on the hassle but fair play to them. They’ve really left a legacy.
    Beautiful home.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

digzy wrote: »
    Honestly can’t see how it cost only €500k including the purchase price.
    Thought they were mad to take on the hassle but fair play to them. They’ve really left a legacy.
    Beautiful home.

Cost them 117k and they put 500k into it. Massive spend but its incredible.
    Would love to know the value of it now.
    Parking is tight there but you'd never even guess its there, aside from the mannequin in the window :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yop wrote: »
    Cost them 117k and they put 500k into it. Massive spend but its incredible.
    Would love to know the value of it now.
    Parking is tight there but you'd never even guess its there, aside from the mannequin in the window :)

You are Clearly not living in a city. 617k is far from a massive spend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ted1 wrote: »

Not even relevant as to where I live.

500k to spend on a renovation in Westport is massive money.

Otherwise yes spending 617k on a shoebox in Dublin isn't.

ted1 wrote: »

It looked more a labour of love vs an investment.
    They’ve no kids so I guess it changes ones perspectives

Airy regards parking they seemed to have a big drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Money pit in the arsehole of nowhere.

I used to give a hand to a neighbour who was a surveyor part time for a good few years when I was younger and when I see a house like that I get cold and goosebumps, even in Summer they were always like walking into the big fridge in a hotel kitchen, loads of them dotted around Galway and the West. However they built them the technique should be exported to Australia and other countries that run a lot of air-con, they're literally impossible to warm up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I always think these people are stone mad but it would be a shame to see these kind of houses fall into an unrepairable state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I hope these two can get the house done - massive job. Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Charles must have been printing money in London.

Charles came across as abit of an ar$ehole. There didn't seem to be alot of praise for ronan. But then again he may just be totally fed up at this stage too.

Was the house listed? I know they had to get a grant for removing plaster. I'm very much on the fence about listed buildings, while I do think it's important to retain a build too many conditions will make it a task too big to complete so it will fall into further disrepair and be lost anyway.

But anyway back on point, if it wasn't listed it would have been cheaper to knock and rebuild.

The finish itself was lovely. Ronan has a great eye.

Once the garden takes hold, it will give a proper finish to the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Thargor wrote: »
    Money pit in the arsehole of nowhere.

Money pit maybe, arsehole of nowhere? A cracking house on 9 acres of gorgeous countryside. Bliss more like. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's a pity so much was left out. How did they manage the cornicing? What was the state of plumbing, insulation, windows? Plus, if the money had run out, how did they invest in a whole new heating system? I like these programmes, but so much skipped over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

madmaggie wrote: »
    It's a pity so much was left out. How did they manage the cornicing? What was the state of plumbing, insulation, windows? Plus, if the money had run out, how did they invest in a whole new heating system? I like these programmes, but so much skipped over.

Was I the only one who found it infuriating?? Pretending they had "run out of money" and could only fund their refurbishment by "drip-feeding" Charles' salary! Meanwhile, half-way through the show, we find out about their (very valuable) London house, which they have decided to keep and rent out!

Didn't suit the narrative, I suppose, to say that that they had decided to keep their million-pound London pied-a-terre while they shoestringed their Irish labour of love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What a frustrating programme to watch.:D We were never going to get the full picture but Wallace should stop waffling about colours and fabrics and give us an overview of the practical problems with a Georgian house like this. Even the history section mentioned only one mad previous owner.
    As for the boys attempts - a bit self indulgent ? That chocolate Victorian library was horrible.:eek:

recipio wrote: »
    As for the boys attempts - a bit self indulgent ? That chocolate Victorian library was horrible.:eek:

Ah if you can't be self-indulgent in your own home where can you be? :)

Agreed not best episode, most of it centred on ronans shopping habit.

Ah if you can't be self-indulgent in your own home where can you be? :)

Agreed not best episode, most of it centred on ronans shopping habit.

Ha Ha. If and when they come to sell the house they will find a Victorian library and over ornate cornices may put people off. Its a pity they couldn't stick to period restoration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I enjoy watching and have huge admiration for anyone that takes on such a project. However, I really wish they would focus on the practical side of things instead of decor and soft furnishings. The editing is terrible, I know they can only squeeze so much into an hour but they seem to go from the impossible task to showing Hugh around the finished product in 5 minutes.
    I'd love to see them focus on the approach to living in such houses, heating, insulation, plumbing etc.

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    I enjoy watching and have huge admiration for anyone that takes on such a project. However, I really wish they would focus on the practical side of things instead of decor and soft furnishings. The editing is terrible, I know they can only squeeze so much into an hour but they seem to go from the impossible task to showing Hugh around the finished product in 5 minutes.
    I'd love to see them focus on the approach to living in such houses, heating, insulation, plumbing etc.

Totally agree. Restoration should be sensitive to the period of the house. I cringed when I saw the infra red heaters going in - there were even cast iron radiators in the bedrooms which surely could be brought back into service.? The cheapo small extension with the galvanized roof didn't get a mention and why were they spending money on landscaping when the house was still a wreck.?
    Better editing and script needed methinks.

recipio wrote: »
    Totally agree. Restoration should be sensitive to the period of the house. I cringed when I saw the infra red heaters going in - there were even cast iron radiators in the bedrooms which surely could be brought back into service.? The cheapo small extension with the galvanized roof didn't get a mention and why were they spending money on landscaping when the house was still a wreck.?
    Better editing and script needed methinks.

Revival does not to equate restoration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Agree with all the above, my thoughts:

1 - It's a mess, zero money, zero money more of a mess - 10:20pm its all grand and lovely
    2 - We have a budget of X -oh we went 200k over but worth it, so the budget isnt that strict.
    3 - I get the feeling for the people money going forward is not an issue.

Would just like if the show was a bit more upfront about the stakes, its good TV regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I binge-watched all the episodes over the last couple of days - it'd drive you mad the way it's edited! Hugh repeating stuff over and over again, and there's HUGE continuity inconsistencies (and I let telly wash over me, so if I noticed them, they must have been glaring!) Can't remember individual examples, but while watchng I was tempted to start making a list!

Boy oh boy, though, these people are brave (or foolish) with the projects they take on!

I loved the farm barns house - not as big as I'd expected in the end (he kept banging on about five barns being converted, but it looked like only three in the end). Fabulous way of keeping the family together, and those buildings from falling down eventually.

The pair in Mayo must have been COMPLETELY mad! What a monster! The most memorable bit for me was them concocting the lamp with the mannequin and ostrich feathers - it was amazing!

The boys were great - well, Ronan was great. The other fella just griping at everything, having done precisely nothing - I'd have killed him. But they clearly work very well together. But Ronan, indefatigable in the face of everything. To last at that for five or more years, hats off!

All of them had amazing interior decorating skills - I wouldn't necessarily agree with all decisions in any of the projects, but there's no denying they had a brillant eye and their own style and weren't afraid to use it.

Fantastic series, except for the editing which really spoils it for me.

Anyone know where I might find episodes from the last series? I'm rather alarmed to see reading back through the thread I was commenting liberally on episodes I have absolutely NO memory of watching! :eek:

Good enough job, bit of a bland episode though.

Good enough job, bit of a bland episode though.

Bit harsh ?
    They made some job. Frances interior decor is exceptional.

Though you’d have to question taking on one of these wrecks.

Think all the people on the show had a great eye for interior design. Fair play to all of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I enjoyed it - I thought it was a lot more informative on the type of problems faced by tackling old building than previous episodes.

her decor style wasn’t mine, but I love the way she tried to keep as much of the earlier structure/decor as she could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Again with the timelines though..... all the fuss about the lime render fella, and then shots labelled as six months later and it still isn't done. Only a small thing, but my God it grates on me!

Wouldn't be mad about a house right on the main street like that (was there even a footpath?), but it looked like they did a great job on it. Also mostly not to my taste - but my goodness that art deco light shade in the (tangoed!) sitting room was amazing.

Fair does to them, they have a fine home for very little money when you compare to other episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hugh asked what the budget was, not what did they end up spending. The budget was 250k, but was it the final amount.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Hugh asked what the budget was, not what did they end up spending. The budget was 250k, but was it the final amount.

I think that was what they spent. I didn't see any insulation, the floor still had rising damp ( was that fixed ?) and they really needed advice about that chimney.
    Its a lotta money for a partial restoration but hats off to them. Oh... that shower over the bath was a bit of cost cutting too far ?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Again with the timelines though..... all the fuss about the lime render fella, and then shots labelled as six months later and it still isn't done. Only a small thing, but my God it grates on me!

Wouldn't be mad about a house right on the main street like that (was there even a footpath?), but it looked like they did a great job on it. Also mostly not to my taste - but my goodness that art deco light shade in the (tangoed!) sitting room was amazing.

Fair does to them, they have a fine home for very little money when you compare to other episodes.

Couldn't possibly live on main street like that. There were trucks going by as they were talking inside. Some colours way too dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

These people are insane

This is a mad project. That guy has a great voice, he could do voiceovers lol.

My ultimate dream home would have a big Botanical Gardens style greenhouse like that on the side, it would be pure paradise.

Amazing what 3 years of no heat can do to a building in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

PsychoPete wrote: »
    These people are insane

Swimming in Jan, they have to be.

Took them 5 lads to move the esse range. I bought a second hand one 3 years ago and got it out of a farmhouse and onto a trailer just with myself and a neighbour across the road.

Mind you its still in storage 3 years later as we re still working on our cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

PsychoPete wrote: »
    These people are insane

ðŸ˜

Leaving the view of the sea 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Madness!! I'd like to know what their house in Bray sold for.

BobCobb wrote: »
    ðŸ˜

Leaving the view of the sea ��
    Yeah thats mad. And now it looks like the geothermal is a non-runner meaning just the heating bill going forward will be a neverending money-pit, they should have been happy with what they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Builder doing his best Gabriel Buuurn accent

Swimming in Jan, they have to be.

Took them 5 lads to move the esse range. I bought a second hand one 3 years ago and got it out of a farmhouse and onto a trailer just with myself and a neighbour across the road.

Mind you its still in storage 3 years later as we re still working on our cottage

Just watching it now. Their bray house is still for sale. I was viewing it recently!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/aisling-strand-road-bray-wicklow/4344733

A shallow geothermal system may have worked.

Yeah thats mad. And now it looks like the geothermal is a non-runner meaning just the heating bill going forward will be a neverending money-pit, they should have been happy with what they had.

They need a straw bale boiler. Cheap fuel and large volume of hot water

HayStove125.jpg

lexi-lexi wrote: »
    Madness!! I'd like to know what their house in Bray sold for.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/aisling-strand-road-bray-wicklow/4344733

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This is like buying a wedding dress when you're not in a relationship, they're letting their dreams take over and the reality of what has to be done is lost.
    Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Imagine flying half way across the world to stay in that place.

I think they should build a house within the house.

250px-A_Touch_of_Glass.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Crazy project
    This is more suited to a multi millionaire celebrity as a way of burning money

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Bull**** is this about a renovation or a fecking party..why would you do such a rush job on everything .They are a pretentious lot this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

And just like that, it is finished. Should over a lot there.

Bull**** is this about a renovation or a fecking party..why would you do such a rush job on everything .They are a pretentious lot this week

They spent probably 10k on a lawnmower!

The tiny little oil boiler in the middle of a massive heating plant facility lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Very silly style of a show. Makes out like the 3 of them have restored the place on their own in 9 months.
    They’re had to have been serious builders on site and not just the brother tackling the whole place with his little dewalt drill.

• Advertisement

I think Id just live in the glasshouse.

Advertisement