Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭ted1

recipio wrote: »
    Totally agree. Restoration should be sensitive to the period of the house. I cringed when I saw the infra red heaters going in - there were even cast iron radiators in the bedrooms which surely could be brought back into service.? The cheapo small extension with the galvanized roof didn't get a mention and why were they spending money on landscaping when the house was still a wreck.?
    Better editing and script needed methinks.

Revival does not to equate restoration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Agree with all the above, my thoughts:

1 - It's a mess, zero money, zero money more of a mess - 10:20pm its all grand and lovely
    2 - We have a budget of X -oh we went 200k over but worth it, so the budget isnt that strict.
    3 - I get the feeling for the people money going forward is not an issue.

Would just like if the show was a bit more upfront about the stakes, its good TV regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I binge-watched all the episodes over the last couple of days - it'd drive you mad the way it's edited! Hugh repeating stuff over and over again, and there's HUGE continuity inconsistencies (and I let telly wash over me, so if I noticed them, they must have been glaring!) Can't remember individual examples, but while watchng I was tempted to start making a list!

Boy oh boy, though, these people are brave (or foolish) with the projects they take on!

I loved the farm barns house - not as big as I'd expected in the end (he kept banging on about five barns being converted, but it looked like only three in the end). Fabulous way of keeping the family together, and those buildings from falling down eventually.

The pair in Mayo must have been COMPLETELY mad! What a monster! The most memorable bit for me was them concocting the lamp with the mannequin and ostrich feathers - it was amazing!

The boys were great - well, Ronan was great. The other fella just griping at everything, having done precisely nothing - I'd have killed him. But they clearly work very well together. But Ronan, indefatigable in the face of everything. To last at that for five or more years, hats off!

All of them had amazing interior decorating skills - I wouldn't necessarily agree with all decisions in any of the projects, but there's no denying they had a brillant eye and their own style and weren't afraid to use it.

Fantastic series, except for the editing which really spoils it for me.

Anyone know where I might find episodes from the last series? I'm rather alarmed to see reading back through the thread I was commenting liberally on episodes I have absolutely NO memory of watching! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good enough job, bit of a bland episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Thargor wrote: »
    Good enough job, bit of a bland episode though.

Bit harsh ?
    They made some job. Frances interior decor is exceptional.

Though you’d have to question taking on one of these wrecks.

Think all the people on the show had a great eye for interior design. Fair play to all of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I enjoyed it - I thought it was a lot more informative on the type of problems faced by tackling old building than previous episodes.

her decor style wasn’t mine, but I love the way she tried to keep as much of the earlier structure/decor as she could.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Again with the timelines though..... all the fuss about the lime render fella, and then shots labelled as six months later and it still isn't done. Only a small thing, but my God it grates on me!

Wouldn't be mad about a house right on the main street like that (was there even a footpath?), but it looked like they did a great job on it. Also mostly not to my taste - but my goodness that art deco light shade in the (tangoed!) sitting room was amazing.

Fair does to them, they have a fine home for very little money when you compare to other episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hugh asked what the budget was, not what did they end up spending. The budget was 250k, but was it the final amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

madmaggie wrote: »
    Hugh asked what the budget was, not what did they end up spending. The budget was 250k, but was it the final amount.

I think that was what they spent. I didn't see any insulation, the floor still had rising damp ( was that fixed ?) and they really needed advice about that chimney.
    Its a lotta money for a partial restoration but hats off to them. Oh... that shower over the bath was a bit of cost cutting too far ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Again with the timelines though..... all the fuss about the lime render fella, and then shots labelled as six months later and it still isn't done. Only a small thing, but my God it grates on me!

Wouldn't be mad about a house right on the main street like that (was there even a footpath?), but it looked like they did a great job on it. Also mostly not to my taste - but my goodness that art deco light shade in the (tangoed!) sitting room was amazing.

Fair does to them, they have a fine home for very little money when you compare to other episodes.

Couldn't possibly live on main street like that. There were trucks going by as they were talking inside. Some colours way too dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

These people are insane

This is a mad project. That guy has a great voice, he could do voiceovers lol.

My ultimate dream home would have a big Botanical Gardens style greenhouse like that on the side, it would be pure paradise.

Amazing what 3 years of no heat can do to a building in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

PsychoPete wrote: »
    These people are insane

Swimming in Jan, they have to be.

Took them 5 lads to move the esse range. I bought a second hand one 3 years ago and got it out of a farmhouse and onto a trailer just with myself and a neighbour across the road.

Mind you its still in storage 3 years later as we re still working on our cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

PsychoPete wrote: »
    These people are insane

ðŸ˜

Leaving the view of the sea 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Madness!! I'd like to know what their house in Bray sold for.

BobCobb wrote: »
    ðŸ˜

Leaving the view of the sea ��
    Yeah thats mad. And now it looks like the geothermal is a non-runner meaning just the heating bill going forward will be a neverending money-pit, they should have been happy with what they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Builder doing his best Gabriel Buuurn accent

Swimming in Jan, they have to be.

Took them 5 lads to move the esse range. I bought a second hand one 3 years ago and got it out of a farmhouse and onto a trailer just with myself and a neighbour across the road.

Mind you its still in storage 3 years later as we re still working on our cottage

Just watching it now. Their bray house is still for sale. I was viewing it recently!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/aisling-strand-road-bray-wicklow/4344733

A shallow geothermal system may have worked.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah thats mad. And now it looks like the geothermal is a non-runner meaning just the heating bill going forward will be a neverending money-pit, they should have been happy with what they had.

They need a straw bale boiler. Cheap fuel and large volume of hot water

HayStove125.jpg

lexi-lexi wrote: »
    Madness!! I'd like to know what their house in Bray sold for.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/aisling-strand-road-bray-wicklow/4344733

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This is like buying a wedding dress when you're not in a relationship, they're letting their dreams take over and the reality of what has to be done is lost.
    Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Imagine flying half way across the world to stay in that place.

I think they should build a house within the house.

250px-A_Touch_of_Glass.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Crazy project
    This is more suited to a multi millionaire celebrity as a way of burning money

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Bull**** is this about a renovation or a fecking party..why would you do such a rush job on everything .They are a pretentious lot this week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

And just like that, it is finished. Should over a lot there.

Bull**** is this about a renovation or a fecking party..why would you do such a rush job on everything .They are a pretentious lot this week

They spent probably 10k on a lawnmower!

The tiny little oil boiler in the middle of a massive heating plant facility lol.

I think Id just live in the glasshouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭bamayang

Very silly style of a show. Makes out like the 3 of them have restored the place on their own in 9 months.
    They’re had to have been serious builders on site and not just the brother tackling the whole place with his little dewalt drill.

Advertisement