Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I follow this guy for a while on Instagram. He seems a lovely chap and the house is gorgeous. The work he does himself is unreal

this show is miles better than room to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Fair play to the people that take on these kind of houses

Dermot Bannon spends 400k to add windows and make the house look like a glorified shed then you've this lad spending 110k on a 170 year old house, this is a way better show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

It’s actually astonishing the work he did himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya good show, and Hugh seems sound.

Wow fair play. Amazing job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its unreal. I felt sorry for him walking out the rubble basket by basket to the skip

At the end there did they have the upstairs done or was it just the ground floor? Dont think I saw any bedrooms but might have missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Xander10

Missed the start, how much did he pay for the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They showed the nursery and main bedroom which are both on the first floor. There was no mention of the second floor or whether he knocked the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers thanks. They did really well for 160k, much of that was down to the sheer amount of work that he put in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Amazing to do all that work , live onsite AND bring a baby into the world ... I really admire these people !

Probably not finished but sure they don't need the rest of the bedrooms for a while.

The quality of the work was impressive. A house of that standard so close to Cork city .

Fair dues.

Great program. Hugh was very good too, not over the top and decent advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Really enjoyed the show last night , goes to show what can be done with a bit of hard work and can do attitude. Even if the house costs him 400,000 all in it will be a bargain.

I think I seen more building work in the hour last night than in the last two seasons of room to improve combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That was one of the best house programs I've seen on Irish tv in a long while. Such a lovely down to earth fella, no grand notions about him, not afraid to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in all the while working full time. He did a great job with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What a lovely guy, totally deserves that beautiful house with is little family, a serious amount of effort and hard work. He even left the swallows, fair play. I will be honest though I feared for him badly injuring himself at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

He mentioned that he's spent €160k "so far". They only showed the ground and first floor rooms completed (fab-u-lous) so I'm guessing he still has to finish it off. I wouldn't blame him sitting down and relaxing with his cup of tea for a while. I'd never do anything in that house if I had that view to look at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking forward to the episode about that ruined castle or whatever that massive thing is in the opening credits, anyone know what/where that is? Must have been a multi-million Euro project whatever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

This isn't great house revival. This is how to build a new house with minimal interference from planning. Find an old house. Leave 2 walls and some of the roof standing then flatten everything else.

Nothing wrong with that but so far this feels more like something that should have been on Room to Improve rather than Great House Revival.

This episode isn't great, very little restoration so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This woman is all over the place.

Cherish the character of the house, then remove everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

At least Hugh acknowledged that fact , I think she had her heart set on doing it her way a lot of sentimental stuff went out the window. Nothing left of old house and as you said it’s a new build with just exterior left up.

It will be a pity if it turns out super modern .

She went way too modern with the interior

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I hate it.

Character and personality removed.

Not a restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not the best but amazing to see the potential for all the abandoned rotten granny houses dotted all over our cities/towns/countryside, did I miss the numbers? Any clue what the spend was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I think she did a great job on a modern house. Not a revival of the old house in any way. It is a new build on an old site. But were this on Room to Improve then it would be a great house.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fine job, loved a lot of the interior. Why build something for the past when you want to live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

She spent half the programme going through all the ‘memories’ then threw the whole lot out! Kept a few plant pots, a sink & some stools!

• Advertisement

Obviously wanted a Modern house. And to be honest she's living in a town house that had a to let sign on it for 10 years. Much as we would like to have seen a sympathetic restoration you don't know the builders looked at it and said all those joists are rotten and she took the opportunity to build a new house. Sometimes wish I had the budget to do that with my 150 year old has 25 years ago.

Oh and rte seem to think they have to have story with everything now which doesn't help.

Advertisement