Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

To much white not enough colour to make it look warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Fcuking hell, and i complain to the wife when she turns on the heat in our humble abode...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

To much white not enough colour to make it look warm.
    Did she say theres no heating? All the pumps cracked and gave up?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Furniture and decor looks a bit cheap in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Christ some people have more money then sense.

Did they fix the heating and roof issue. Too many unanswered questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

bamayang wrote: »
    Very silly style of a show. Makes out like the 3 of them have restored the place on their own in 9 months.
    They’re had to have been serious builders on site and not just the brother tackling the whole place with his little dewalt drill.

What style? The cat paintings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

bazermc wrote: »
    Christ some people have more money then sense.

Did they fix the heating and roof issue. Too many unanswered questions.

I think they just painted over all the problems just to get on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That was less of a spend than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus Christ that 3 Musketeers mural with their faces :D

Money cant buy taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Their parents Monica and Joe used to own a hotel Harrington Hall on Harcourt St. I worked there at the turn of the century. She was a lovely lady to work for. One of the workers told me Henry was a Ford model back in the 80s. He was sound too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

That was less of a spend than I expected

At least 250 spent, prob at least 100 grand more in reality.
    Plus they haven't even half of the roof fixed plus heating problems remain

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

“Christ some people have more money then sense“

......And others have no sense or money

That Carleeeee one would head wreck me....her accent.....”wish I was born in the States, raised in Lundin darling....and was def pals with the mummies in D4” ��

Two coats, no knickers

He’s a lecturer 40-50k p.a.? Maybe more ��*♀️
    She actually admitted to being a dental hygienist (great job but not what I would’ve expected from someone who thinks they want to live in a 37 thousand square foot house)....50k p.a....Max?

Sorry but the figures (or accent/notions) just don’t add up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Funny set up. No house can be big enough if you’ve to live with an in law!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They are groping their way forward but they really need to get the fundamentals sorted or the rot will set in again. In the UK communal living has saved a lot of buildings but it is tricky to do.
    That conservatory is magnificent though - wish it was attached to my gaff.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yesh stopping water ingress very important! Might be able to do up some rooms in guest part and rent out on air bnb ( eventually ) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In faintness what would dermot banning deliver for 250k , a big white kitchen ? It’s great that some people take on these projects and stop the buildings going to rack and ruin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Haha, Henry's voice. He should do voice over work for quads and powertools.

We'll probably see the house change hands again soon, everything about this setup is doomed.

It's like Del Boy had a go at the interior, the paintings are just awful/tacky.

The Turner conservatory is lovely though, may it survive this round of owners for another day.

The house has had a chequered past to say the least.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0208/1028309-middleton-park-house-raffle/

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Idbatterim wrote: »
    In faintness what would dermot banning deliver for 250k , a big white kitchen ? It’s great that some people take on these projects and stop the buildings going to rack and ruin

What have they done for 250k, remembering it's not including the builder costs which is where most of Bannon budget goes on.

Some electrics, a chandelier, paint job, maybe a fix to 10% of roof, empty drilled hole out the back, wasted money on fancy stoves, couple of tractor lawnmowers....

Place is still freezing and they have no clue on how to heat it.
    look if you have the money and time to spend on it more luck to them, it will certainly keep them busy for the next 5 to 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

The show left them at Feb 2020, great place to self isolate for three :) But heating, my god. And have to agree with the posts above for what they spend they got nothing more than wallpaper over some very serious issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Eight grand to fill the Calor tank ? - they were right to ditch that anyway :D I agree its hard to see where 250K went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

As often with this series, the people’s story is nearly more interesting!
    Why on earth would you buy a monster like that. Fair enough if you’re a rich fcuker, who can throw money at it. There’s plenty Palladian mansions around the country for a fraction of what that cost to purchase. So many unanswered questions on that.

In general I was a bit disappointed that there’s not more focus on the actual construction. Lot of fluff but I guess it keeps the viewership up....look at bannons rubbish where it seems to focus mainly on him, the builders and the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yes, the first series was better I think. Much more focus in the construction jobs themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bit of a mad epsiode. Still cant believe they gave up seaside living in Bray and swimming in it every day to go live in the back ass of nowhere. The house itself didnt seem to come with any decent bit of land either.

Have a funny feeling their main aim is to do it up and then flip it by selling to some Yank thinking of retiring to Ireland, seems they already know a lot of them. Not sure how thats going to work out without solving the heating problem, if geo thermal doesnt work there then they are screwed for bills. What do three people really need with a house that is 37,000 square feet anyway, its the size of 37 regular semi-Ds. You'd actually feeling lonely living in a house that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have to say, as mad as all the episodes were in this series, that last one just felt and looked like a spoof.

Or else, they were completely off their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

I enjoyed the renovation of the former Doctor's house in Borrisoleigh. They were a very determined couple who did an awful lot of the work themselves. Looking at the aerial shots, there seemed to be a lot of ground behind the houses- I presume they were part of the property. Potential for a decent garden, polytunnels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Anyone watching the great house giveaway on 4. Full hoiserefurb being done for 20k or so tho it takes less than 6 months... Like this isnt realistc at all?

What time/day is that on Channel 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 snowdaisy

Do you know where I can see this episode now by any chance? Can't find it on player or YouTube etc, thanks!

And its back

This fella is off his rocker with a 120k budget to do up a house that size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I can’t see it with a big extension as well probably looking at double or more

Advertisement