Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    First thing I did was confirm Egret 2's and 3's were available new. They are and he showed me an Egret 3 that was unwrapped a week before. It was mint and shiny and the monitor was a thing of beauty.

Of course the only problem with these "new" candies is that they must have been in storage for while. He even has new and wrapped candies from the 90's. That old and never powered on makes me wonder how the electronics in the monitors have held up. The Egret 3's should fair better as they are from the 2002/3 era but an arcade monitor from 1993 or so that's never been power up, hmmm.

Never been powered up would worry me alright, think I'd prefer a good condition used one just to know it actually works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah you guys are right. Sealed in packaging often does mean DOA!

Sealed in packaging from 1993 just sounds insane! How could you possibly have something that big taking up so much space for so long without even being opened? Crazy.

I'm not too up on E3s, must do a bit of research. I take it you can rotate the monitor like the E2s?

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm not too up on E3s, must do a bit of research. I take it you can rotate the monitor like the E2s?

No there's no rotate mechanism in an E3, it would be the same manual procedure as an AWSD I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

No idea where mine was from. Probably a junk yard as it was originally plucked from Japan, worked and flash sprayed in Hong Kong and shipped to the UK before making it's way to my loving, caring home (where it was promptly sniffed and licked by my dog). :)

I love my cab. It's the bees knees. I like all the little projects you can do with it. So far I've completely dismantled the entire cabinet (every last bolt!), installed a new coin slot, new cp plate, new cp overlay (both new SEGA stock, not repro's) and best of all, installed it with all the finest Seimitsu sticks and buttons only a shooting game fan could love...

...shame I'll never be good enough to make a Superplay. :(:pac:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    ...where it was promptly sniffed and licked by my dog). :)

Lol who are you trying to kid! Yeah, the dog... :pac:
    ...shame I'll never be good enough to make a Superplay. :(:pac:

Was watching the DX Training Level superplay last night - the chap had insane skills. He maxed out every medal except for two in the entire 15min long level! Crazy stuff. I also noticed his score jump by 200K near the very start and was like wtf! Played it back and noticed there's a secret bonus pyramid there which is easy to get, nice! :)

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol who are you trying to kid! Yeah, the dog... :pac:

OK! It was me as well! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

First thing I did was confirm Egret 2's and 3's were available new. They are and he showed me an Egret 3 that was unwrapped a week before. It was mint and shiny and the monitor was a thing of beauty.

Of course the only problem with these "new" candies is that they must have been in storage for while. He even has new and wrapped candies from the 90's. That old and never powered on makes me wonder how the electronics in the monitors have held up. The Egret 3's should fair better as they are from the 2002/3 era but an arcade monitor from 1993 or so that's never been power up, hmmm.

Alright i have to ask ,what price range are these ?, obvisously a ball park figure must have been mentioned at some point so that would do . just cab price in japan without shipment will do..
    shipping and charges and then the yens **** rate for us are goign to have a big affect on this though i'd presume.
    do you have a list of general cabs that may be available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sounds interesting, After I get my check off Irish Lads magazine for that photo shoot I did I'll put some money aside for this, if there's room for another person on board of course

btilc19.jpg

Master of the Universe

I've been looking at forum group purchases by the likes of killercabs for absolutely ages now, always jealous of seeing so many candies in a container.

Never thought I'd see a possibility of a boards.ie one! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oh & if anyone would like to buy a candy cab and leave it in my shed under lock & key - I've got space for about ten candies which I will gladly 'mind' for you free of charge :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Oh & if anyone would like to buy a candy cab and leave it in my shed under lock & key - I've got space for about ten candies which I will gladly 'mind' for you free of charge :D

Shame you didn't tell me that about a year ago, I may have taken you up on the offer. :pac:

Shame you didn't tell me that about a year ago, I may have taken you up on the offer. :pac:

Only working candies need apply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I think that for a fairly small community here at A&R there are some pretty impressive collections in out midst

Master of the Universe

Every time I give you a lend of a console, it's come back either working or upgraded.

I thought maybe the same thing might happen with the candy :(

Master of the Universe

Well I think that for a fairly small community here at A&R there are some pretty impressive collections in out midst

Shame we cant get everything everyone has together in a room all at once. Just for the sheer hell of it!

Every time I give you a lend of a console, it's come back either working or upgraded.

I thought maybe the same thing might happen with the candy :(

Ah if Mitch couldn't do it, it was a lost cause :(

Shame we cant get everything everyone has together in a room all at once. Just for the sheer hell of it!

Could you imagine, 'awesome sauce mc'amaze ball mecca' we could call it :pac:

You'd need a fairly large hall and some decent security I would imagine. Would be a site to behold though (except for the shed loads of 'backups' :p).

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You'd need a fairly large hall and some decent security I would imagine. Would be a site to behold though (except for the shed loads of 'backups' :p).

Retr0 - "Is that...a real NES?" :D

* I know I know he has one now but still

Master of the Universe

Atavan - "Is that a real...'

Bouncer 'Sorry, you can't come in. Adults only'.

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ah if Mitch couldn't do it, it was a lost cause :(

But to be fair there isnt much to a cab really. Monitor, power, cables, check them all and replace the faulty parts.
    o1s1n should have been sorted a long time ago. Its madness really.

o1s1n you must have the patience of a saint as I'd have gone mental a long time ago and camped out at the persons house until they sorted it.

Master of the Universe

The reason for the delay in me getting on it is more to do with the space issue where I'm living and less to do with my Sainthood.

Originally I thought I'd be able to bring it in..but in the long run found out that the people I was living with weren't as 'understanding' as I'd originally thought. (That's me putting it nicely)

I'd have dumped it in the sitting room, but it's kind of hard to get it in there when they won't move their cars out of the drive.

So as a result of that I haven't been nearly as proactive about it as I should.

I'll be hunting for a resolution once my current 'situation' with 'not so understanding' housemates is sorted in the coming weeks. (just gotta find a good spot for the bodies)

And then I shall invite all up for lashings of food, alcohol and arcade games. :)

But to be fair there isnt much to a cab really. Monitor, power, cables, check them all and replace the faulty parts

Yeah but I've hardly a shed load of repair parts the way Mitch would. There's nothing really to working on them though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah but I've hardly a shed load of repair parts the way Mitch would. There's nothing really to working on them though

Ahh I wasn't saying that you should do it. I meant that Mitch should have sorted it by now as there isn't much to them, especially as you say he would have access to loads of repair parts.

You're better off trying to repair your own cab anyway. That's what all the trouble I had with ronnie and my cab has tought me. I knew nothing about cabs really apart from the basics and now I can strip them and replace any part with confidence.

Ahh I wasn't saying that you should do it. I meant that Mitch should have sorted it by now as there isn't much to them, especially as you say he would have access to loads of repair parts.

You're better off trying to repair your own cab anyway. That's what all the trouble I had with ronnie and my cab has tought me. I knew nothing about cabs really apart from the basics and now I can strip them and replace any part with confidence.

Hard to say re Mitch, I know he's in great standing here & I've dealt with him myself and can do nothing barring recommend him. I know it's taken an absolute age but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. o1s1n is too soft aswell :D

Agreed though re working on your own cab. My first experience of working on a cab was doing a cap kit of the chassis of my Tekken 3 cab. Very very daunting, going through discharging etc, but if your prepared to learn then there's a wealth of info out there & some fantasticly helpful people too :)

The reason for the delay in me getting on it is more to do with the space issue where I'm living and less to do with my Sainthood.

Originally I thought I'd be able to bring it in..but in the long run found out that the people I was living with weren't as 'understanding' as I'd originally thought. (That's me putting it nicely)

I'd have dumped it in the sitting room, but it's kind of hard to get it in there when they won't move their cars out of the drive.

So as a result of that I haven't been nearly as proactive about it as I should.

I'll be hunting for a resolution once my current 'situation' with 'not so understanding' housemates is sorted in the coming weeks. (just gotta find a good spot for the bodies)

And then I shall invite all up for lashings of food, alcohol and arcade games. :)

Are you and your gf not in the big pantry house alone anymore? Housemates, nothing a dose of pepper on everyones pillows wouldn't cure :D

You said pantry.

You said pantry.

Don't make me quote the pic :D

Master of the Universe

Are you and your gf not in the big pantry house alone anymore? Housemates, nothing a dose of pepper on everyones pillows wouldn't cure :D

We were never alone in the first place!

I was lied to. Lied to and cheated. All for a pantry :(

• Advertisement

We were never alone in the first place!

I was lied to. Lied to and cheated. All for a pantry :(

Ah I see! Bollox to that. Two tins of fake crap outta sort that place out man

Advertisement