Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming News

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most bizarre gaming story since Randy Pitchford's USB stick: in China, PUBG mobile has been replaced with the patriotic 'Game for Peace', which is basically the exact same game but the enemies don't die and instead gift you with a friendly wave when you knock them out. Plus a load of patriotic ****e tagged on.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tencent-games/tencent-pulls-blockbuster-game-pubg-in-china-launches-patriotic-alternative-idUSKCN1SE0CT

https://twitter.com/SvendJoscelyne/status/1126069150407962624

While this is comically absurd, always worth noting that the Chinese government is an authoritarian one intent on controlling its population... so this is a dark reminder of invasive state censorship while also being ludicrous farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"I'm gonna FRIEND you SO HARD!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What I'm curious about this is: are Chinese gamers receptive to this blatant hand-holding, or is this one of these things where you have the 'official' games industry that China would like us to know about, while every Johnny/Josephine Gamer is busy playing off pirate copies & VPN servers?

Of note is that this only affects the mobile PUBG app, so the playerbase is likely even less well-informed than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Delta Airlines getting down with the kids:

hWkLb1e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That is amazingly ironic given the lack of union representation in the gaming industry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow. That's so condescending it would have me sign up to a union on the spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also public service announcement:

Nightdive (god bless them) just released Blood on steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Bethesda plagiarism of D&D P&P RPG campaign

A few other places have picked up on this too, looking at the article above, it's pretty damning. Not surprised bethesda nuked it so quickly - looks bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Someone is getting fired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

A few other places have picked up on this too, looking at the article above, it's pretty damning. Not surprised bethesda nuked it so quickly - looks bad though.

Someone needs to be fired for that.

Eh.
    Reading between the lines, it's probably something someone at Bethesda Netherlands cooked up & didn't think was meant for widespread distribution.

Anybody going to make the obvious joke here...? Nobody? Well, here we go :

They should never have hired Filip Miucin.

Ba-dum-tsss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Eh.
    Reading between the lines, it's probably something someone at Bethesda Netherlands cooked up & didn't think was meant for widespread distribution.

Probably yeah, and that's the likely escape route for them on this too imo, i'd say they'll still have to payoff the original authors and WizardsOTC/D&D etc.

If it wasnt though? Would it really change anyone's opinion of Bethesda? They've muddied themselves pretty badly over the last year or two and this just seems to be more of the same level of mud i've come to expect from them.

Probably yeah, and that's the likely escape route for them on this too imo, i'd say they'll still have to payoff the original authors and WizardsOTC/D&D etc.

If it wasnt though? Would it really change anyone's opinion of Bethesda? They've muddied themselves pretty badly over the last year or two and this just seems to be more of the same level of mud i've come to expect from them.

Not at all. It sounds like one idiot in Bethesda Netherlands chanced his arm and got caught. It's not as if they were going to trawl through all of the D and D campaigns ever made to be safe.

Just keep making ES6 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The ProJared* thing really took a dark turn fast. If these allegations are all true he is done.

*I know YouTuber drama ain't exactly news but not sure where to show this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, a YouTube "celebrity" I recognise, finally! Though only know him from GameGrumps, which I haven't watched in ages: I'm lazy / can't watch the video ATM, what's the skinny?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah, a YouTube "celebrity" I recognise, finally! Though only know him from GameGrumps, which I haven't watched in ages: I'm lazy / can't watch the video ATM, what's the skinny?

Cheated on his wife with a fellow YouTuber I admittedly never heard of.
    This has lead to more things coming out. Apparently he liked trading nudes on Tumblr and has done that with 16 year old teens. Sounded a bit manipulative too.

Oh wow, that's pretty sketchy, to put it mildly. I swear these YouTube celebrities are a breed unto themselves, somehow more conceited and self-absorbed than regular brand celebrities. Maybe it's the fact YouTUbe is such an incestuous garden & divorced from more mature, self-regulating & policing forms of media; the most famous YT'ers seem more inclined to get high on their own supply, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Netflix will have a panel at E3 to bring their original shows to games. I know Stranger Things has an indie game coming out so not sure if it will be more indie/mobile or if they are looking to partner up for a big release.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Netflix will have a panel at E3 to bring their original shows to games. I know Stranger Things has an indie game coming out so not sure if it will be more indie/mobile or if they are looking to partner up for a big release.

Maybe they're looking to relaunch something like the canned Telltale one with a different developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For those looking to get their nostalgia buzz, Blizzard have confirmed the release date for World of Warcraft: Classic.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/22990080/mark-your-calendars-wow-classic-launch-and-testing-schedule

Also, the Beta will be launching tomorrow. Apparently they'll be inviting a large amount of people for stress testing.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Maybe they're looking to relaunch something like the canned Telltale one with a different developer.

Maybe they have some Witcher to show off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm hoping that it's just licensed properties and not a push into a gaming streaming service....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe they have some Witcher to show off?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense now you mention it, would be the perfect place to debut the first trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Seems that it's turning Netflix stuff into games that they're talking:

https://twitter.com/E3/status/1128049543822618628

Shiminay wrote:
    Seems that it's turning Netflix stuff into games that they're talking:

Half imagine they've someone lined up to make a Black Mirror game; someone like Supermassive games would make a good Black Mirror game.
    I'd say Telltale would be a cert if they were still around but I wouldn't like them to make it, their overall standard dropped the last few years even tho people I feel slept on the Barman games

Wouldn't want Supermassive anywhere near Black Mirror. Their writing is god awful and the only reason Until Dawn worked was because you expect bad writing in the horror genre. Was pretty much a fluke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stranger Things already has a mobile game out, a snes style RPG. Meant to be good as well, by all accounts.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Stranger Things already has a mobile game out, a snes style RPG. Meant to be good as well, by all accounts.

Yup, played it to completion & was lots of fun; very well put together, decent challenge & overall "felt" right as a blatant Zelda clone...

There's another game coming out for Season 3, this time going for an isometric perspective (not sure if it's pure brawler as the trailer suggests, or will include RPG elements)

• Advertisement

That just makes me want to play Shadowrun on the snes.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wouldn't want Supermassive anywhere near Black Mirror. Their writing is god awful and the only reason Until Dawn worked was because you expect bad writing in the horror genre. Was pretty much a fluke.

There is no chance in hell that Charlie Brooker would let anyone else write it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, Charlie Brooker's a huge gamer, you can bet he'll want in on that!

The Avengers coming together to defeat the evil Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Amazon currently lead MS in public cloud services, Google is in a distant 3rd but expected to make the most gains even before stadia. The more the grow the more they can offer, economies of scale play a big part.

So Google have Stadia, Amazon already push integrated cloud features in their lumberyard (based on cry engine) and probably more in the future, and disruptive tech companies aren't the greatest when you part of the old guard.

So the developer is unable to deliver a vertical slice.

Meaning they are unable to deliver on the game at all.

Project is screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Rage 2's Denuvo DRM is removed because of a "few requests"
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/05/bethesda-removes-rage-2-denuvo-drm-because-of-a-few-requests/84300/
    Another possible reason: https://crackwatch.com/game/rage-2

WOW classic announced to a cheering audience.
    https://youtu.be/ONpzyceG2KA

If you use the steam beta and are on linux you may have noticed this. It's an interesting update
    https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/a-new-and-quite-interesting-steam-client-beta-is-out-nice-linux-fixes-and-vulkan-shader-downloading.14142
    I'm happy as a clown for this to improve. Shader cache stutter upon startup has been a persistent issue for windows games for me.

Apparently the Steam Link app is available on iOS now. I'm not arsed digging out a link, you'll have to take my word for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Didn't even know there was a sequel in the works. Thought the first one was pretty bad

Epic Game Store's first sale is a logistical mess
    1 2

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Epic Game Store's first sale is a logistical mess
    1 2
    Really can't stand The Quartering's youtube stuff. Weird agenda

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Really can't stand The Quartering's youtube stuff. Weird agenda

TheQuartering: Look at those snowflake SJWs getting outraged hahaha

*Marvel makes superhero film starring a woman*

TheQuartering: *makes seven dozen outraged videos about it*

Truly one of the dumbest channels on YouTube, and YouTube has many, many dumb channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would love rockstar games to be made into movies like GTA or RDR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

What are people's opinion on Cyberpunk, how big will it be?

I've a feeling I'll get it and discover it's not for me.

What are people's opinion on Cyberpunk, how big will it be?

I'm hoping at least as long as Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm hoping at least as longgood as Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
    :pac:
    I have big hopes for it and I am excited but I'm also worried my expectations are too high. I like CDPR, The Witcher franchise and GOG. CP2077 seems to be everything I've wanted from a modern open world game but their lies about TW3 (redkit & downgrade) makes me heavily doubt the legitimacy of any pre-release media from them. Releasing on PS4 will seriously change the adult themes, I fear.
    Gaming outlets' criticisms of the company makes me less worried though. Anything they go after usually turns out good.

Adapter to release for allowing PS4 controllers on switch
    http://operationrainfall.com/2019/05/19/ps4-switch-controller-adapter/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement