Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tuco88 wrote: »
    An 80s or early 90s e-class benz diesel is actually a tank.

The old fashioned late 80s/early 90s Merc diesels will probably outlive their owners. The ones you see as taxis in the Canaries with interstellar mileage but they still drive well and the interior is still in good order. You can run them on biodiesel too and they just keep going.

But there's not much profit in making a car that never needs to be replaced...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I once owned an Alfa Romeo Alfetta. It broke my heart it was so unreliable, but it is easily my favourite car that I've ever owned.

Could've been worse, you could have owned an Alfasud (or its sister car, Lancia Beta, also made from shítty Soviet steel) and watched it transform into a pile of iron oxide before your very eyes. With the 'Sud, the doors fell off, with the Beta, the engine fell out!

Life ain't always empty.

Tommy Hilfiger

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Tommy Hilfiger is the one clothes shop that I just can't bring myself to enter. Is it a rich man's Pennies or a poor man's Hugo Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

WonderBread. This is the most popular bread in America for some inexplicable reason and it is dire. Brennan's blows it away.

It must be inedible if bland Brennans is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There was a tiny little place in Temple Bar called El Grito that did properly good Mexican food. They moved to Mountjoy Square, and I heard it's still very decent. Even Mexicans raved about it.

Cafe Azteca on Lord Edward St is an authentic mexican...the only place in Ireland i found you can get tamales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Pizza's. M&S deluxe pizza €10.99, Dunnes/tesco brand €1.99. All made in the same factory with the same ingredients and production process.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

fryup wrote: »
    yep, my local mechanic says the makes he repairs most are german ..in particular BMW

But the same mechanic probably never repairs many Alfas or Lancias. That doesn't mean they are more reliable. He repairs more BMWs because they're popular and sold in the thousands and are still repairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I once owned an Alfa Romeo Alfetta. It broke my heart it was so unreliable, but it is easily my favourite car that I've ever owned.

I could say the same about a gtv6 I owned; I still smile when I think of the noise it made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It must be inedible if bland Brennans is better.

Wonder bread tastes of sugar and diabetes, it feels like playdough that has had some sort of solvent mixed into it that's causing it to slightly break down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Mine is dogs .....

They dont live long enough.... and the total devastation when one passes away...

We lost one a few years ago and the emotional trauma in house with children is just terrible.

Our other dog is now 14 and we have to gear ourselves up for another round of this as he shows signs of old age....

My mother tho had a sheepdog ( collie) and he lived to 28 and he looked every day of that 28 years old ...poor feller.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

Larbre34 wrote: »

What Brands you have bought that have given you brilliant service, that you would buy again without hesitation and recommend to others.

What Brands you have bought that have been in terms of quality, reliability, durability, longevity, manufacturer support etc, a disappointment and not one you would buy again or recommend to anyone.

What generic or unbranded/own brands have you been impressed by and would recommend to others as a substitute for better known or long standing brand name products.

Has a Fiat Sedici 4X4 for a few years, the best car I ever owned. Put a lot of cars to shame it really was a gem. No longer being produced as it was a joint thing with Suzuki.

Samsung Tv's I've found can be tempremental but then I found the customer service made up for it. There's a lot to be said for registering your purchase online when you get it. The details are normally in the see through bag we all f@#k out. You can then deal direct with them instead of humping the tv back to where you bought it. On two occasions they sent the tech to my place and repaired them in situ.

Halfords own brand range is great value for money. I've bought top of the range stuff and was more impressed with the Halfords gear. Don't get me wrong I'm a home tinkerer and they probably wouldn't be much use to a pro. But impressive at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My mother tho had a sheepdog ( collie) and he lived to 28 and he looked every day of that 28 years old ...poor feller.

Is he in The Guinness Book of Records?
    He should be.
    No. 2 or 3 in the list of oldest dogs ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Mine is dogs .....

They dont live long enough.... and the total devastation when one passes away...

We lost one a few years ago and the emotional trauma in house with children is just terrible.

Our other dog is now 14 and we have to gear ourselves up for another round of this as he shows signs of old age....

It's not the borks they'll never do, it's all the borks they did. Would you trade all the time you had with them so the pain of your loss is lessened? I've lost only one floofer luckily. It was devastating but it really equipped me to deal with other heartache in life and I love to look back on the time spent with them.

In terms of brands, a lot of software you need to buy has a freeware equivalent which is just as good if not a bit better if you're not doing anything too complicated. Audacity is grand instead of Protools for the basic music and sound editing . Windows movie maker or Openshot will do for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

anewme wrote: »
    I find the scala jars with the cherry tomatoes very passable too.

We love Lloyd Grossman's tomato and chilli for a handy dinner here.
    My mother-in-law uses dolmio and I find myself gagging (the very odd time she'd make us a dinner)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

HB and Dale Farm ice creams. My uncle who lived on the Continent would always say when he came home that their ice cream had never seen a cow. Obviously they're made from milk but they contain a lot of other ingredients that you won't find in ice cream from quality producers and they taste very artificial to me.

Irish cheese was a bit like that in the 70s but now it's a top quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Is he in The Guinness Book of Records?
    He should be.
    No. 2 or 3 in the list of oldest dogs ever.

I always questioned her on his age ...surely he cant be 28 but a few years later I was talking to a old lady about framing a picture of her dog and it was also a collie and she said her dog was in late 20s .... so maybe

Maybe other people on here can confirm the oldest dog they heard of.... maybe its just collies ....

My friend at work has boxers ..... now that's one breed that lacks years ...I think you are lucky to get 10 years ..... sucks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always questioned her on his age ...surely he cant be 28 but a few years later I was talking to a old lady about framing a picture of her dog and it was also a collie and she said her dog was in late 20s .... so maybe

Maybe other people on here can confirm the oldest dog they heard of.... maybe its just collies ....

My friend at work has boxers ..... now that's one breed that lacks years ...I think you are lucky to get 10 years ..... sucks!!!!

A 20 year old dog would make it into the top 20 oldest dogs recorded.
    I'd take those ages with a huge pinch of salt.
    I'm surprised that my dad didn't have a 31 year old dog - he wasn't great with facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Can I kick off with Dyson?

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generated is something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked to within an inch of it's life.

So, what brands do you think are overrated?

I find the vacuum cleaner so loud

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Pringles for me.
    Just not a great tasting product im my opinion but they are everywhere!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

As another poster pointed out, its not about reliability its about how overrated a product is, I've had 2 landcruisers 04 and 08 in the past and for the work I'm doing they are lacking, maybe the newer ones are better but i can only compare the older models, nothing wrong with their reliability, also the lower towing capacity isnt helping either, now for 90 percent of the farmers that need a jeep they're more than good enough for what they need them for

So what do you like - rate, jeep wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Kindles are terrible. We have a draw full of broken ones that just clapped up for little or no reason. I know they are cheap enough but a waste on money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So what do you like - rate, jeep wise?

Ive had landcruiser, discovery and 2 pajeros also, out of the 5 4x4s the one that pulls and works best is the pajero imo, once the clutch and flywheel are done in them they're low maintenance reliable and pull like a train

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Apple: Overpriced for very underpowered tech. Substandard batteries in their products.
    Beats: As mentioned before, most of their money goes on marketing.

Any large beer brands: Heineken, Budweiser, Carlsberg. These guys are spending more money on marketing than they are quality of the product. Sure Budweiser is brewed with rice, the cheaper way to brew beer. They all have low alcohol content because they don't want to pay more tax or be in the higher tax bracket based only alcohol volume. Probably because more alcohol in their already bland drink would make it taste more like piss and how could the drinks companies charge a premium and pay higher tax on alcohol? They couldn't. So the they keep the alcohol low, so they can keep their profits higher.

Mean while, I'm buying craft beers at 8.0% and 7.5% with actual flavour, character. Made by people with a passion for making something nice. Not some faceless corporation trying to maximize profit before customer satisfaction. Craftbeers sell based on flavour and quality (some are **** but mostly they are good) and the likes of Heineken/Budweiser sell on massive marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ive had landcruiser, discovery and 2 pajeros also, out of the 5 4x4s the one that pulls and works best is the pajero imo, once the clutch and flywheel are done in them they're low maintenance reliable and pull like a train

Pajero are OK if an engine with a sound as course as a Soviet army tank is your bag

Dreadful looking things to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Pajero are OK if an engine with a sound as course as a Soviet army tank is your bag

Dreadful looking things to boot

So it is about image, tbh i have the same conversation with the toyota fan boys regularly, they stick with landcruiser because theyre reliable, they do the job of a farmer all day every day, they pull a couple of ton twice a month and you can throw a few bags of meal into the back, I've experienced both and stick 3.5 ton on the hitch and they die a death, 1 low box and too highly geared for heavy duty stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Any large beer brands: Heineken, Budweiser, Carlsberg. These guys are spending more money on marketing than they are quality of the product. Sure Budweiser is brewed with rice, the cheaper way to brew beer. They all have low alcohol content because they don't want to pay more tax or be in the higher tax bracket based only alcohol volume. Probably because more alcohol in their already bland drink would make it taste more like piss and how could the drinks companies charge a premium and pay higher tax on alcohol? They couldn't. So the they keep the alcohol low, so they can keep their profits higher.

Mean while, I'm buying craft beers at 8.0% and 7.5% with actual flavour, character. Made by people with a passion for making something nice. Not some faceless corporation trying to maximize profit before customer satisfaction. Craftbeers sell based on flavour and quality (some are **** but mostly they are good) and the likes of Heineken/Budweiser sell on massive marketing.

realale.jpg

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I've been between Apple and Android devices, and despite the price, Apples wins all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

s1ippy wrote: »
    It's not the borks they'll never do, it's all the borks they did. Would you trade all the time you had with them so the pain of your loss is lessened? I've lost only one floofer luckily. It was devastating but it really equipped me to deal with other heartache in life and I love to look back on the time spent with them.

In terms of brands, a lot of software you need to buy has a freeware equivalent which is just as good if not a bit better if you're not doing anything too complicated. Audacity is grand instead of Protools for the basic music and sound editing . Windows movie maker or Openshot will do for video.

I lost my Collie suddenly this year, he was 10. I wouldn't trade the 8 years we had with him, but my god it was tough when he died. It still is, but the week he died was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Advertisement