Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Kindles are terrible. We have a draw full of broken ones that just clapped up for little or no reason. I know they are cheap enough but a waste on money imo.

Really? I have a basic model from about 10 years ago. Still going strong and brought it all over the world with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Really? I have a basic model from about 10 years ago. Still going strong and brought it all over the world with me.

Just about to say the same! Mine is going strong 10+ years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My friend at work has boxers ..... now that's one breed that lacks years ...I think you are lucky to get 10 years ..... sucks!!!!

10 years probably isnt bad for some pure breeds. I know that the Bernese mountain dogs that Michael D Higgins has tend to only survive to about 5 or 6 years of age, you can already see that they walk around very slowly and are on the way out. Was thinking of getting one myself but dont think I could handle that heartbreak after only 5 years. Its the same with King Charles Caveliers, they are bred specifically to have that squishy nose but it is actually what kills them in the end as later in life they develop breathing problems and have to be put down.

SEGA

Electronic Arts

TicketMaster

Star Wars / George Lucas

Hornby

SHARP

Hewlett Packard

Saville Row

John Rocca

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Yeezys, very expensive and look like something a peasant would have been wearing 200 years ago.

They do indeed look stupid. Like something you wear with a Hazmat suit in some lab.

And yer man in the video thinks they are great and is real excited about them. They must be giving him money to talk them up or something?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I've been between Apple and Android devices, and despite the price, Apples wins all the way.

At least give us a reason why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭howyanow

McDonalds is crap too. I think a Burger King Whopper is ok.....but like you mentioned a chipper burger is better. You can actually eat a Big Mac without chewing or maybe chewing just once or twice. I think it's designed that way to make people morbidly obese.

To the thread I will add STARBUCKS. It is appalling. I'm not a huge coffee-head maybe drink it a couple of times a month but most pubs have a bog standard coffee machine with good beans and that to me can be a lovely coffee with a ham/cheese toastie.

Anheuser-Busch is another big name that produces crappy beer. I don't want to get on an America bashing rant but having lived there for several years so many of their big name products are just garbage. People on here are complaining about cars like Audi and BMW or Toyota Landcruisers. I have one word for you...Chevrolet. Utter junk.

WonderBread. This is the most popular bread in America for some inexplicable reason and it is dire. Brennan's blows it away.

Dominoes Pizza is muck. The two best pizzas I've had in Ireland are Doughboy's in Galway and Romano's on Capel Street. So good that you have that awful sense of bereavement when you've finished it.

Was never a fan of any Nike product. Far preferred Adidas or Puma.

Did you mean Doughbros in Galway?
    For me Sano best in Dublin but I have not tried Romanos yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Apple: Overpriced for very underpowered tech. Substandard batteries in their products.
    Beats: As mentioned before, most of their money goes on marketing.

Any large beer brands: Heineken, Budweiser, Carlsberg. These guys are spending more money on marketing than they are quality of the product. Sure Budweiser is brewed with rice, the cheaper way to brew beer. They all have low alcohol content because they don't want to pay more tax or be in the higher tax bracket based only alcohol volume. Probably because more alcohol in their already bland drink would make it taste more like piss and how could the drinks companies charge a premium and pay higher tax on alcohol? They couldn't. So the they keep the alcohol low, so they can keep their profits higher.

Mean while, I'm buying craft beers at 8.0% and 7.5% with actual flavour, character. Made by people with a passion for making something nice. Not some faceless corporation trying to maximize profit before customer satisfaction. Craftbeers sell based on flavour and quality (some are **** but mostly they are good) and the likes of Heineken/Budweiser sell on massive marketing.

The large brands are aimed at people who like to have a beer, or be seen holding a particular brand, but don't like the taste of beer.

What's with the likes of Maccy D's or Supermacs with pics of plump, mouth watering burgers on their menu only to be presented with a shrunken miserable looking burger when you get your order?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

I always questioned her on his age ...surely he cant be 28 but a few years later I was talking to a old lady about framing a picture of her dog and it was also a collie and she said her dog was in late 20s .... so maybe

I would say neither are correct, a dog aged 28 would make him almost the oldest dog in recorded history.

Even 25 or beyond, like what the old lady claimed, would be still one of the oldest dogs ever recorded in human history.

Even just living to 20 would place any dog in a tiny, miniscule percentage worldwide - it would be similar to a person turning 110.

I had 2 dogs that both made it just shy of 17 - even that in itself is a good bit outside the curve of normality and they were fairly shook. One passed of natural causes, the other was robust enough and not inherently dying so may have survived to 17/18, but her quality of life was so poor we couldn't, it wasn't fair to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mine is dogs .....

They dont live long enough.... and the total devastation when one passes away...

We lost one a few years ago and the emotional trauma in house with children is just terrible.

Our other dog is now 14 and we have to gear ourselves up for another round of this as he shows signs of old age....

My mother tho had a sheepdog ( collie) and he lived to 28 and he looked every day of that 28 years old ...poor feller.

Justin Clary talks about his Fanny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhxRa5S7TrE&t=229s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was never a fan of these (Ferrero Rocher)

I mean the ambassador's residents party was great and all. The birds were great craic. But I didn't like the Ferrero Rocher at all. Didn't care if they made it into a bleedin' pyramid. Would have much preferred a few Tayto's in a bowl. Or failing that a crisp sandwich.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Vincero and MVMT watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Mean while, I'm buying craft beers at 8.0% and 7.5% with actual flavour, character. Made by people with a passion for making something nice. Not some faceless corporation trying to maximize profit before customer satisfaction. Craftbeers sell based on flavour and quality (some are **** but mostly they are good) and the likes of Heineken/Budweiser sell on massive marketing.

Great call on the craft beers. O'Hara's Pale Ale, I'm loving this right now...Single strength is highly palatable also. Brewed in Carlow with obvious pride. Outstanding, actually.

gMshBz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

All craft beer manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Apple: Overpriced for very underpowered tech. Substandard batteries in their products.

I keep hearing this "underpowered tech" from the Android fans but there's very little evidence. Apple's flagship is generally the most powerful device on the market when released, its recent throw away SE has the same chip as the 11, which beats all the Android muck

from Android central:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-865
    In other words, this is going to be an impressive chip but don't expect it to catch up to the Apple A13 (or even the A12) in terms of single- or multi-core performance, but the chip is 35% more efficient which will inevitably translate to better battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Star Wars / George Lucas Disney

There you go, fixed that for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dyson has been mentioned here, think they are overrated when it comes to vacumes but have to say their fans and air purifiers are second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

The large brands are aimed at people who like to have a beer, or be seen holding a particular brand, but don't like the taste of beer.

What's with the likes of Maccy D's or Supermacs with pics of plump, mouth watering burgers on their menu only to be presented with a shrunken miserable looking burger when you get your order?

I know a lad who asked the staff did they think his burger looked remotely like the burger in the picture. The staff agreed with him that it didn't n made him a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FVP3 wrote: »

You've sampled beer from all craft breweries?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the 1950's US companies made about 17% profit on the goods they were selling. As late as the 1980's only 36% of that profit went to shareholders with the rest being reinvested.

So a good brand only cost a little more and most of that extra went back into making better products.

Today typical goods in the US sell for twice what they cost to make and 93% of the profit goes to shareholders and share buybacks.

Globally brands are being asset stripped. You can't rely on the brand's history as that can all be reset at the next takeover or new CEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

FVP3 wrote: »
    There aren't that many big brand name craft beer companies though. Sierra Nevada, Brewdog, Founders are probably some but they make some quality beers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Great call on the craft beers. O'Hara's Pale Ale, I'm loving this right now...Single strength is highly palatable also. Brewed in Carlow with obvious pride. Outstanding, actually.

gMshBz.jpg

I'm a fan of their dark ale but the amount of times I've unpacked the shopping only to find a puddle of beer.
    Put the fcucking caps on properly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Years ago I complained that my mighty Mac didn’t look anything like the picture on the menu in my local supermacs

The Eastern European girl serving me looked startled and called over the shift manager

He roared at me “this is the EXACT same burger as on the menu now GET OUT”

I will never forget his pompous sneering attitude.

I left the store and didn’t return until I was 18 maybe 4 years later and that was because it was the meet up point for a friends birthday. The shift manager had long gone but I honestly had anxiety the night before that he would be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Couldn't agree more, good durability and stamina for normal work but haven't the guts when worked for a living, plenty good for farmers and the equestrian types who pull small loads now and again, for the price of them i think people who buy them are really only after an image rather than a workhorse

I'm sorry but this is one of the most wrong things I have ever read in my life. I work in the farm supplies industry and 90% of the vehicles I see are Land Cruisers and Hilux being flogged to death by owners who barely service them. Every day we send fencing contractors and builders out of our yard with 3-5 tonnes behind them and they all drive Land Cruisers or Hilux. And all of them love them because they just work. The 3.0 diesel with a manual gear box is unkillable. And when they do replace them, they always go for another one. What exactly is more of a workhorse? Unfortunately the latest one is supposedly not as good to pull as the last one but it's still a tough machine.

The Amazon then is a totally different level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Capra wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is one of the most wrong things I have ever read in my life. I work in the farm supplies industry and 90% of the vehicles I see are Land Cruisers and Hilux being flogged to death by owners who barely service them. Every day we send fencing contractors and builders out of our yard with 3-5 tonnes behind them and they all drive Land Cruisers or Hilux. And all of them love them because they just work. The 3.0 diesel with a manual gear box is unkillable. And when they do replace them, they always go for another one. What exactly is more of a workhorse? Unfortunately the latest one is supposedly not as good to pull as the last one but it's still a tough machine.

The Amazon then is a totally different level again.

Thats fair enough, i wont knock others experience and opinions, I'm simply basing my opinion on 16 years towing 3.5 ton 70 percent of the working life of the jeep, overall for straight from the root towing power i find the pajero a better drive, not disrespecting the landcruiser, as I've said they're a good machine for the work the vast majority of them are used for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't get the Dyson hate, ours works perfectly and it's a godsend :eek:

Same here, have a Dyson Dc20 15 years not one issue in that time.

great bit of kit if you have pets, the amount of dog hair that dyson has picked up over the years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Capra wrote: »
    Every day we send fencing contractors and builders out of our yard with 3-5 tonnes behind them and they all drive Land Cruisers or Hilux.

Which the vehicle can't legally take, and the drivers aren't licensed to drive. Well done.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe other people on here can confirm the oldest dog they heard of.... maybe its just collies ....

Collies have to be among the thickest mammals in existence... maybe that's their secret?

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dyson, palstic , breaking , unreliable useless ****e

also skoda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Which the vehicle can't legally take, and the drivers aren't licensed to drive. Well done.

I'm well aware of that but I'm also not their ****ing daddy. If a guy asks you to load him with more then you are going to do it. It wouldn't be boards.ie without an armchair RSA member chirping in.

Advertisement