Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Xertz wrote: »
    Well that's since the takeover by Mondelez. Chocolate is best not made by accountants and fund managers. Chocolatiers are far better!

They also will put Oreos in EVERYTHING and assume that everyone likes Oreos ...

E.g. Philadelphia with Oreos: https://www.philadelphia.de/produkte/philadelphia-mousse/philadelphia-mousse-oreo?p=29727&provider=%7BD193998A-4A6D-4EA5-BAA8-209357B27A09%7D&categoryId=18739

Cadbury's with Oreos: https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/cadbury-dairy-milk-oreo-11298

Milka with Oreos : https://www.milka.nl/products/milka-countlines/milka-oreo?p=8361&provider=%7BD193998A-4A6D-4EA5-BAA8-209357B27A09%7D&categoryId=5559

Basically their solution to everything seems to be acquire really good brand like Cadbury's or Milka or inherit Philadelphia from Kraft.
    Reduce the quality of the ingredients by accounting based cooking and then stuff it full of Oreos.

What is this thing with Oreos? Fair enough Americans liking them because they have a poor choice of biscuits (market saturated by cookies), but we have no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

rgace wrote: »
    Interesting, how is it better than a non Dyson hairdryer?

Lighter, way less noise, the way the motor is in the handle makes it less top heavy, way quicker to dry when coming in from gym, magnetic attachments etc...

Expensive, but no regrets on this purchase whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

McGaggs wrote: »
    What is this thing with Oreos? Fair enough Americans liking them because they have a poor choice of biscuits (market saturated by cookies), but we have no excuse.

Think they’re nearly seen as exotic by some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I once bought a brand vacuum cleaner (one of the bagless, cylinder jobs) and found it useless. For the same power motor as my ancient cleaner, this new one would't suck the skin off a cup of milky hot chocolate.

I brought it back to the customer service desk at Power City plonked my receipt on the table and told them to take it back. I then delivered my killer line ' I would like to tell you how much this cleaner sucks...... but it doesn't"

The customer agent laughed and then laughed again when she looked at my receipt and told me I had bought the cleaner in Argos.:)

Not one of my finer moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    BMW
    BMW, Mercedes and Audi basically all the German "premium" car range. All style over substance, unreliable, horrendously hard to work on and mortgage level repair bill when something goes wrong.
    Even standard German makes are overrated as well - Opel (pure muck) and VW (about the best of a bad lot granted)

yep, my local mechanic says the makes he repairs most are german ..in particular BMW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

fryup wrote: »
    yep, my local mechanic says the makes he repairs most are german ..in particular BMW

Brand appeal is second to none though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FVP3 wrote: »
    Whatever phone Apple produced in 2010 was way ahead of the competition at the time. I mean my personal iPhone 7 beats the crap out of most Android phones, and I get to use a lot of phones at work.

I have an iPhone 8 from work, hardware wise it's solid, good battery life. But iOS sucks donkey balls, so awkward and unintuitive to use, I'd never pay my own money for an iOS product.

I used to have a Macbook - bought 2007 and got ten years daily use out of it. This was back when you could upgrade RAM and hard disk yourself. Expensive but was actually competitive price wise with similar higher end laptops at the time. But I only ever booted into OSX to update my iPod (another expensive but not great product), again it completely sucked from the usability perspective, and rigidly sticking to one mouse button is just mad. The way the menus work is shyte too. Didn't really matter though as I put Linux on it from day one and that was what I used 99% of the time :)

Macs are just vastly overpriced appliances now, non-upgradeable and if anything at all goes wrong out of warranty you're forced to bin it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never mind the Dyson vacuum cleaners, it's the poxy hand dryers. The U shaped ones, you dip you hands in and out and can see all the skanky shít at the bottom where thousands of drips from half cleaned hands have collected dried, leave a layer of slime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Can I kick off with Dyson?

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generated is something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked to within an inch of it's life.

So, what brands do you think are overrated?

Fully agree on Dyson. After less than a year its dumped in the shed and has been replaced with a Henry.

Id vote for Levi's. I find they lose all shape a couple of hours after being put on, and they're generally odd fits to begin with. Ive got a pair of black 511s that are like sellotape for picking up lint and fluff, Ive never seen jeans like it to look dirty. Id much prefer a brand like Replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Rolex. Over priced for what you get. Better bang for your buck with other luxury brands. Some vintage models are nice but eye wateringly expensive for what are basic tool watches.

Jeremy Clarkson put it best "The only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real one".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

valoren wrote: »
    Rolex. Over priced for what you get. Better bang for your buck with other luxury brands. Some vintage models are nice but eye wateringly expensive for what are basic tool watches.

Jeremy Clarkson put it best "The only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real one".

I'd say that applies more to Jeremy Clarkson than Rolex though.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never mind the Dyson vacuum cleaners, it's the poxy hand dryers. The U shaped ones, you dip you hands in and out and can see all the skanky shít at the bottom where thousands of drips from half cleaned hands have collected dried, leave a layer of slime.

The mad thing is that there isn’t a water tank or drain, the water just goes on the floor.
    Their €1600 tap/dryer is horrible to use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Brand appeal is second to none though

Only to a special kind of ar5ehole.

Only to a special kind of ar5ehole.

Not that special considering VW brands plus other German cars made up 35% of sales last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Havent had an Apple device since about 2010. I thought they were quite good and in fairness there was a few years back then when they were the only game in town for smart phones. But for me it was the whole thing of the way they rigged their software to reject non-Apple charging cables. You'd buy something online for 10 or 15 euro and it would work once or twice until the Apple software nuked it. Fcuk that, after spending 600 euro with them on a phone they then demand you spend 60 euro for a bloody cable, it was goodbye Apple after that for me. iTunes was revolutionary at the time too but it would constantly crash on a desktop, awful piece of software

Surprised nobody has mentioned Gillette. Aside from their disastrous woke marketing campaign they were always so bloody expensive for such a simple product. Can remember them being 24 euro for 5 blades at one stage, in fact Tesco used to have to put security tags on them such was the high price because junkies could nick a few packets and trade them for heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Levi jeans

What they are producing now are like cheap knock offs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Never really got the appeal of McDonalds at all. Most of it is crazy expensive for what you actually get, and there are far superior options out there even in smaller towns at a much lower price.

I just don’t understand the obsession some have with it, seems like a genuine addiction for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

martyos121 wrote: »
    Never really got the appeal of McDonalds at all. Most of it is crazy expensive for what you actually get, and there are far superior options out there even in smaller towns at a much lower price.

I just don’t understand the obsession some have with it, seems like a genuine addiction for many.

Definitely an addiction for many, read before that their custom follows the 80/20 rule, i.e. they make 80% of their revenues off just 20% of their customers who eat there several times a week. It used to be an American phenomenon of people eating in McDonalds so frequently but it has spread to here too. The food gives people a rush to the brain and they keep returning again and again.

That said their double cheeseburger is great for 2 euro and Im getting me one when they reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Totally agree, Burger King is streets ahead of McDonald's on quality and value, still dear enough for what you get though.

Kiosk ordering in McD's is brilliant however, especially with the kids in tow.

I like KFC but my local one always fcuks up / delays orders and they don't change the oil often enough so it can taste a bit rank.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It's got to be Durex Condoms for me.

Like you can only use the dam thing once and then you have to toss them away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Levi jeans

https://www.levi.com/IE/en_IE/shop-all/levis-x-super-mario-501-93-straight-jeans/p/798300065

What, you mean like €130 Super Mario jeans?

Re: McDonalds. I cant remember the last time i had one, and i love fast food. Mcdonalds just never did it for me. See also - Boojum. It is a woeful burrito.

retalivity wrote: »
    See also - Boojum. It is a woeful burrito.

It’s probably the best of what’s in this country anyway.

do you not leave them out on the washing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s a good thing you still have that pack of 3 from 5 years ago then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Cienciano wrote: »

And they don't dry your hands either. Whatever the recommended drying time is on the machine, multiply it by 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Levi jeans

I've a pair of 501's that i bought 10 years ago im still wearing.

Probably should give them a wash tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Samsung

laptop
    Worst product I have ever bought. Useless in fact and no support

Washing machine and seperate drier
    Absolutely useless broke down after a few months and then the problems started when trying to get it fixed. Scrapped it completely

Fridge
    Same as above

replaced the whole of Samsung with Miele washer and seperate drier
    replaced the Computer with HP
    replaced the fridge with a SubZero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yeezys, very expensive and look like something a peasant would have been wearing 200 years ago.

Red Bull - can someone please explain to me why this drink is so popular?? i think it tastes rank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not sure folk are answering the question.

Brands that are overrated? That doesn't mean brands that are unreliable. Older Italian sportcars would make you want to torch them they fail so often, but on those summer days they perform, with Matt Munro on the Stereo and on a great mountain road, you'll think it was worth 10 times the price.

Take the JD Power car reliability survey. Its published every year and is highly regarded. In 2019 its bottom 5 brands, in descending order were Mercedes Benz, Jaguar-Land Rover, Audi, Fiat and dead last, BMW.

Meanwhile, in ascending order, its 5 top brands were Suzuki, Nissan, Hyundai, Skoda and at No 1, Peugeot.

Now, while those top rated brands are doing a very good job of providing reliable, enjoyable cars, with good dealer support and satisfactory servicing costs, the report doesn't mean that BMW are making cars that are falling apart, rusting away, breaking down daily, cost thousands to repair the smallest thing and have the most ignorant unhelpful dealers - its the perception of what daily utility someone expects to get from a €30,000 car versus the expectation a person has of a say, €70,000 car...

I'd like to see a few threads....

What Brands you have bought that have given you brilliant service, that you would buy again without hesitation and recommend to others.

What Brands you have bought that have been in terms of quality, reliability, durability, longevity, manufacturer support etc, a disappointment and not one you would buy again or recommend to anyone.

What generic or unbranded/own brands have you been impressed by and would recommend to others as a substitute for better known or long standing brand name products.

Advertisement