Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

How did you know it was an Avensis? :)

Disagree 100% on the avensis on my 2nd one 12 years ownership between the 2 and not one issue/breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Yeezys, very expensive and look like something a peasant would have been wearing 200 years ago.

I have the non Kanye'd version of these in green, they’re super comfy and surprisingly well made. Wouldn’t be paying a few grand for them though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm not sure folk are answering the question.

Brands that are overrated? That doesn't mean brands that are unreliable. Older Italian sportcars would make you want to torch them they fail so often, but on those summer days they perform, with Matt Munro on the Stereo and on a great mountain road, you'll think it was worth 10 times the price.

I once owned an Alfa Romeo Alfetta. It broke my heart it was so unreliable, but it is easily my favourite car that I've ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's got to be Durex Condoms for me.

Like you can only use the dam thing once and then you have to toss them away!

Leave it on if you're going for 2 in a row, saves messing with a new one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Tommy Hilfiger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You're thinking of the range rover which wealthy lifestyle ranchers and equestrian types go for

Landcruiser were never about immage, all about reliability

What is a better jeep than a landcruiser?

As another poster pointed out, its not about reliability its about how overrated a product is, I've had 2 landcruisers 04 and 08 in the past and for the work I'm doing they are lacking, maybe the newer ones are better but i can only compare the older models, nothing wrong with their reliability, also the lower towing capacity isnt helping either, now for 90 percent of the farmers that need a jeep they're more than good enough for what they need them for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It's almost pointless comparing car reliability now, most share common parts and are made in china. Cars stopped being built well in the 90s early 00s. Most brands had a decent made car at the time. An 80s or early 90s e-class benz diesel is actually a tank. More so being Toyota at the time Carina/Corrolla and Hilux, not to forget a 90s Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Tuco88 wrote: »
    It's almost pointless comparing car reliability now, most share common parts and are made in china. Cars stopped being built well in the 90s early 00s. Most brands had a decent made car at the time. An 80s or early 90s e-class benz diesel is actually a tank. More so being Toyota at the time Carina/Corrolla and Hilux, not to forget a 90s Honda.

This I agree with 1000%. Modern cars are over complex and over engineered. Seriously thinking about buying a good 80' or 90' car and drive it as a classic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

This I agree with 1000%. Modern cars are over complex and over engineered. Seriously thinking about buying a good 80' or 90' car and drive it as a classic now.

Much easier to repair for sure

• Advertisement

Any small appliance made by Russell Hobbs or Morphy Richards. Skip fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

NSAman wrote: »
    Samsung

laptop
    Worst product I have ever bought. Useless in fact and no support

Washing machine and seperate drier
    Absolutely useless broke down after a few months and then the problems started when trying to get it fixed. Scrapped it completely

Fridge
    Same as above

replaced the whole of Samsung with Miele washer and seperate drier
    replaced the Computer with HP
    replaced the fridge with a SubZero.

I’ve always got on with Samsung, the only ****e pice of kit was the S3 phone which was about 800% less useful then the s2. The s2 was brilliant for its time and all subsequent phones were top notch..I’ve a j6 now, no complaints and the camera is stunning. Got a new Samsung microwave today, I’ll let you know how it goes, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chosen1

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never mind the Dyson vacuum cleaners, it's the poxy hand dryers. The U shaped ones, you dip you hands in and out and can see all the skanky shít at the bottom where thousands of drips from half cleaned hands have collected dried, leave a layer of slime.

Fair enough the bottom of them are manky but I find they're the only ones that are capable of actually drying your hands.

The traditional ones just puff semi warm air at your hands and you end up just drying the rest off on your jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Candie wrote: »
    Any small appliance made by Russell Hobbs or Morphy Richards. Skip fodder.

I'm not totally sure but I think a lot of these once famous brand names are no more, and are simply used by the likes of Argos and Currys to make you think you are getting something that might be good quality.

Probably all made in same factory with different badges, like a lot of the Vestel supplied tv brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

chosen1 wrote: »
    Fair enough the bottom of them are manky but I find they're the only ones that are capable of actually drying your hands.

The traditional ones just puff semi warm air at your hands and you end up just drying the rest off on your jeans

I have to completely disagree.
    Their hand dryers are crap . You have to spend ages moving your hands up and down , trying to avoid hitting the side of the 2" opening. I hate them.
    The only good hand driers are the ones that feel like you've just put your hands behind a F16 on take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You're dead wrong about the landcruiser

The 08 up to recent models had issues with injectors and the O rings in them going. The older machines are bullet proof. the new ones not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

storker wrote: »
    We've holidayed in Italy a few times and never saw Dolmio on the supermarket shelves over there either. What we did see was Barilla sauces which we tried while there and found fine. They sell them in Tesco so we use them as an emergency standby, but making your own tomato sauce is so easy that most of the time the jar stays in the cupboard.

We never buy Dolmio. When's-a your pasta day me arse.

Jarred pasta sauce is sh1t. If you want to make a bolognese just used a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes and add onions, garlic and herbs/pepper to the pot and let bubble away. The jarred stuff is full of sugar. Maybe there's some sugar in the canned tomatoes but you can definitely taste the sweetness from the jarred sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Gillette Mach3 blades would've been top of the list 5/6 years ago, but the last 2 cartridges have been quality

martyos121 wrote: »
    Never really got the appeal of McDonalds at all. Most of it is crazy expensive for what you actually get, and there are far superior options out there even in smaller towns at a much lower price.

I just don’t understand the obsession some have with it, seems like a genuine addiction for many.

McDonalds is crap too. I think a Burger King Whopper is ok.....but like you mentioned a chipper burger is better. You can actually eat a Big Mac without chewing or maybe chewing just once or twice. I think it's designed that way to make people morbidly obese.

To the thread I will add STARBUCKS. It is appalling. I'm not a huge coffee-head maybe drink it a couple of times a month but most pubs have a bog standard coffee machine with good beans and that to me can be a lovely coffee with a ham/cheese toastie.

Anheuser-Busch is another big name that produces crappy beer. I don't want to get on an America bashing rant but having lived there for several years so many of their big name products are just garbage. People on here are complaining about cars like Audi and BMW or Toyota Landcruisers. I have one word for you...Chevrolet. Utter junk.

WonderBread. This is the most popular bread in America for some inexplicable reason and it is dire. Brennan's blows it away.

Dominoes Pizza is muck. The two best pizzas I've had in Ireland are Doughboy's in Galway and Romano's on Capel Street. So good that you have that awful sense of bereavement when you've finished it.

Was never a fan of any Nike product. Far preferred Adidas or Puma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I think people have rose tinted glasses here. You rarely see broken down cars any more, and think how many extra cars are on the roads now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's got to be Durex Condoms for me.

Like you can only use the dam thing once and then you have to toss them away!

You can toss away for free, well, maybe the cost of a tissue or two :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Anheuser-Busch is another big name that produces crappy beer.

I agree 100%.
    I can't believe I did not think of Budweiser straight away. I think they survive purely on aggressive marketing and product placement in films/tv series.
    It tastes like diluted dishwater with gas added.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s probably the best of what’s in this country anyway.

You're not wrong there sadly. The burrito is a great invention but the ones you get in Ireland in places like boojum or saburrito pale in comparison to one you'll get from a taco shack in California...and the ones in Mexico from street vendors...divine.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm not sure folk are answering the question.

Brands that are overrated? That doesn't mean brands that are unreliable. Older Italian sportcars would make you want to torch them they fail so often, but on those summer days they perform, with Matt Munro on the Stereo and on a great mountain road, you'll think it was worth 10 times the price.

Take the JD Power car reliability survey. Its published every year and is highly regarded. In 2019 its bottom 5 brands, in descending order were Mercedes Benz, Jaguar-Land Rover, Audi, Fiat and dead last, BMW.

Meanwhile, in ascending order, its 5 top brands were Suzuki, Nissan, Hyundai, Skoda and at No 1, Peugeot.

Now, while those top rated brands are doing a very good job of providing reliable, enjoyable cars, with good dealer support and satisfactory servicing costs, the report doesn't mean that BMW are making cars that are falling apart, rusting away, breaking down daily, cost thousands to repair the smallest thing and have the most ignorant unhelpful dealers - its the perception of what daily utility someone expects to get from a €30,000 car versus the expectation a person has of a say, €70,000 car...

I'd like to see a few threads....

What Brands you have bought that have given you brilliant service, that you would buy again without hesitation and recommend to others.

What Brands you have bought that have been in terms of quality, reliability, durability, longevity, manufacturer support etc, a disappointment and not one you would buy again or recommend to anyone.

What generic or unbranded/own brands have you been impressed by and would recommend to others as a substitute for better known or long standing brand name products.

In fairness it's all well and good talking about customer support when it comes to items like a car or a fridge. But that doesn't really apply to things like jeans or trainers or fast food.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Yeezys, very expensive and look like something a peasant would have been wearing 200 years ago.

They do indeed look stupid. Like something you wear with a Hazmat suit in some lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You're not wrong there sadly. The burrito is a great invention but the ones you get in Ireland in places like boojum or saburrito pale in comparison to one you'll get from a taco shack in California...and the ones in Mexico from street vendors...divine.

There was a tiny little place in Temple Bar called El Grito that did properly good Mexican food. They moved to Mountjoy Square, and I heard it's still very decent. Even Mexicans raved about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Jarred pasta sauce is sh1t. If you want to make a bolognese just used a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes and add onions, garlic and herbs/pepper to the pot and let bubble away. The jarred stuff is full of sugar. Maybe there's some sugar in the canned tomatoes but you can definitely taste the sweetness from the jarred sauces.

I know how to make bolognese sauce, thanks anyway. My point was the the Barelli stuff isn't as bad as Dolmio, and will do at a pinch if you're really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

So good that you have that awful sense of bereavement when you've finished it.

Now that's how to sell a pizza. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭anewme

storker wrote: »
    I know how to make bolognese sauce, thanks anyway. My point was the the Barelli stuff isn't as bad as Dolmio, and will do at a pinch if you're really stuck.

I find the scala jars with the cherry tomatoes very passable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not that special considering VW brands plus other German cars made up 35% of sales last year.

Wha? That was about bmw.

Advertisement