Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It really is a miserable afternoon out there.

Can hardly see out for the rain on the window.

Still windy, and cold to boot.

It is beginning to look like Spring is the new summer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Band after band of drizzle and mist in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah this is the worst day in months in Dublin. Bloody cold in my house but I refuse to turn heat on so a blanket on the couch will have to do!
    Tomorrow looks half decent anyway so hopefully this is the worst day for a while.
    I gave in half an hour ago + put on the heating. It's just too cold. It may say June on calendar but more like a winters day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    I gave in half an hour ago + put on the heating. It's just too cold. It may say June on calendar but more like a winters day.

The fire will be lit early this evening, it is absolutely baltic today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There hasn’t been much more than a very light sprinkle of rain here in Cabinteely since this morning. Cold and windy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Love the latest update from Gonzo in the +120hrs model watch thread.

I know, I know its unsettled but the rain is needed, so its a good forecast in my view.

Today at my location in Kilkenny, a massive 0.2mm of rain bringing the monthly figure to 2.2mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »

I know, I know its unsettled but the rain is needed, so its a good forecast in my view.

Today at my location in Kilkenny, a massive 0.2mm of rain bringing the monthly figure to 2.2mm.

Yeah rain is needed alright but hopefully the tap is turned off again after a week or so and we can get weather back like we had last weekend

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RobertKK wrote: »

I'm sure a day or two of rain would be welcome but what the GFS is showing is 10+ days of rain and showers and back to normal service which is not what we want heading into the summer. It would be similar to June last year with rain, showers, wind and cool temperature day after day. However at the moment there is so much uncertainty after next Wednesday there is no guarantee the weather will play out like the horror show that the GFS is showing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's the wind that gets me. Don't mind some rain for a bit, but that howling wind is unbearable. Some difference from this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just thrown two thirds of my cucumber plant in the bin after it's been flip flopping in the wind all over the place since yesterday. Hoping I can save even some of it. Was a good 5ft and starting to fruit. Lost more plants in the wind two weeks ago. Things were starting to recover so well in the sun seems back to square one now with everything in tatters. Don't mind a bit of rain but the insistent wind coupled with rain, cold temps and grey skies is depressing.

Hope my sunflowers hold off on flowering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Just two years ago we had an amazing summer. Our bad weather is so exaggerated. Try living on Scotland!
    It's not just the rain, it's the greyness and wind too! London may be miserable but they are guaranteed more summer weather, we ain't. So allow us to moan.

Met eireann giving mostly dry and temps in high teens to low 20s next week. Hardly bad weather. In the east that is. If you want reliable summers every year pick a line from Paris and south. Ireland and UK will never be reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

Just two years ago we had an amazing summer. Our bad weather is so exaggerated. Try living on Scotland!

2018 was amazing,it was also once or twice a decade weather,2013 and1995 were similar, im 42 and thats the summers I remember.
    It's fairly depressing,especially when you look at what we had last week,it's a different world.
    I don't think i could hack a repeat of June 2019 when it was 12 degrees and windy here in the West for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock 9 degrees at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That little shortwave that cuts down over Ireland and the UK around +96hrs really could send us down a bad patch!

The GFS 6z has a low spinning in perpetuity to the west of Ireland throwing up rain band after rain band!

Let's hope for a quick flip back otherwise it could be a long June.

It would be good if there was a flip again in the models, but i have a feeling we will soon be locked into our default summer pattern. The latest UK Met Office is the typical update you'd expect to see from them in a normal summer- the best of any dry weather in the south east, with the west seeing rain at times. That suggests to me the Atlantic is going to take over sooner rather than later. I hope i'm wrong.

I think any forecasts past 5 days are always very suspect. I know there is some pessimism today after such a great few months of weather but medium to long range forecasts tend to be very unreliable, the forecast for the week ahead from met eireann looks fine. Not sunny and particularly warm but dry and mild from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Miserable day today. I fear for the summer. 2/3 months of blocking highs. Looks like the Atlantic will dominate for the next 3 months

Based on a few cooler than normal days and 3 months of great weather before this. How can people be so pessimistic based on 2-3 poor days and a half decent outlook for the week ahead from met eireann with temps up to low 20s
    alentejo wrote: »
    Miserable day today. I fear for the summer. 2/3 months of blocking highs. Looks like the Atlantic will dominate for the next 3 months

As per met eireann website now....hardly shocking stuff??

Tuesday: Dry in most areas at first, with some bright or sunny spells, especially in the east. Rain will move in across Atlantic coastal counties later Tuesday, spreading eastwards during the evening and early night, but becoming patchy. Max. 14 to 19 degrees, coolest along Atlantic coastal counties and mildest in the east and southeast. Winds mostly light SW'ly, moderate to fresh on Atlantic coasts.

Wednesday: Brightening up gradually, with some sunny spells developing and scattered showers, most of the showers in the north and northwest, where some will be heavy. Max. 13 to 18 C., in light NW'ly breezes.

Thursday: A breezy day, with bright or sunny spells and scattered showers, most frequent in the eastern half of the country, where some will be heavy. Max. 15 to 18 or 19 Celsius, coolest on northern and eastern coasts, in moderate to fresh north to northeast winds.

Outlook: Current indications are that Friday will be mostly dry and the weekend will be more mixed, with some scattered showers, but good dry periods also. Warmer, with temperatures in the high teens to low 20s, with mostly light variable winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How can people be so pessimistic based on 2-3 poor days and a half decent outlook for the week ahead from met eireann with temps up to low 20s

I think that's precisely the reason. Expectations or hopes escalated because of such a prolonged period of fine weather that went on beforehand. Whenever these acclaimed seasons or periods occur, it's difficult to near impossible to please many the next year or period following it. If this summer isn't exceptional, it will look in comparison to the spring quite poor.

There's also the Irish summer fatigue that happens every year and the poor models don't help the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It honestly is like a different country out there today compared to last week

What a difference a week makes

We the Irish love a good moan. I actually heard someone in the supermarket last week say it’s too warm at the moment and I am sick of the sun. What’s the bets that same person is now complaining about the cold and a bit of rain!
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think that's precisely the reason. Expectations or hopes escalated because of such a prolonged period of fine weather that went on beforehand. Whenever these acclaimed seasons or periods occur, it's difficult to near impossible to please many the next year or period following it. If this summer isn't exceptional, it will look in comparison to the spring quite poor.

There's also the Irish summer fatigue that happens every year and the poor models don't help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Met Eireann TV forecast is now different to the website, now saying rain on Wednesday.

Today's high's. Ireland one of the coldest locations with temperatures between 10 and 13C. Many places would have been in single digits for much of today.

txint_uk.png

Tomorrow will feel much warmer generally compared to the bitterness of today with temperatures of 14 to 18C, possibly 19C in any decent spells of sunshine towards the south and the east.

4.7 degree high in parts of Scotland. I wonder has snow ever fallen in June
    Gonzo wrote: »
    Today's high's. Ireland one of the coldest locations with temperatures between 10 and 13C. Many places would have been in single digits for much of today.

txint_uk.png

Tomorrow will feel much warmer generally compared to the bitterness of today with temperatures of 14 to 18C, possibly 19C in any decent spells of sunshine towards the south and the east.

4.7 degree high in parts of Scotland. I wonder has snow ever fallen in June

Most of the UK even in the south had a covering of snow in June before, I think it was 2 June 1975 where several cm of snow lay to low levels.

I saw snow here in Ireland one June morning, I think it was 1986, it didn't stick or anything as it was only a brief snow flurry shower just as I started school that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Gonzo wrote: »
    Most of the UK even in the south had a covering of snow in June before, I think it was 2 June 1975 where several cm of snow lay to low levels.

What the weather looking like the next 10 days and much rain coming for midland areas

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    What the weather looking like the next 10 days and much rain coming for midland areas

With the charts changing several times per day at the moment that is very difficult to answer. There is a fair chance you'll get some rain during the second half of next week, after that it's very difficult to say. How much rain will fall later next week will depend greatly on the tracking of a low pressure between here and Iceland, it could miss us altogether, we could get a direct hit or it could only affect the east or only the west or maybe just the north, will have to wait and see. By Tuesday we should have a much better idea of what's in store up to next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays Max

Johnstown Castle 14.1 degrees
    Roaches Point 13.9
    Sherkin 13.7
    Cork 13.7
    Shannon 13.5

Knock ,once again(up on a hill exposed to NW'LY breeze) just getting 10.3 degrees as a maximum. Very poor for June 6th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s cold in the house tonight
    Sad times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement